Thread: Rise and Rise Again - [GB AAR][IS Mod]

High Delivery's Avatar Laetus

Default Rise and Rise Again - [GB AAR][IS Mod]

I have been a member for a few years now, I do not post much but I do love reading all the AAR's on the site. I have played many hours of the total war games, specifically Rome, MT:2 and ETW. I have always wanted to write my own AAR for you all, accept that I haven't written much since high school and the fact that I am thirty now probably makes me nervous of all the spelling mistakes I could make or grammar errors. But I am going to brave it now and I hope you all will appreciate it. I cannot give exact times between my posts because I do have a very busy schedule between work and home life.

I will be playing a Great Britain campaign because it is a faction I know very well and to be honest I have never finished a whole campaign with them. so, I will do my best to entertain you and I think I will enjoy this a lot more once I dive into it more. also, any corrections or critique is always welcome.

Thanks!

----------

It is the midsummer of 1700 and the British cabinet is sitting down for to prepare their presentation on the plans for the British empire moving forward in the new century. Pippin Brenton, the current Prime Minister starts the talks off asking the cabinet. “I want all of you to give me the one top priority for each of your respective departments as you please for all of us to review.”

The treasury minister speaks first about the massive upkeep costs for our military that we are currently maintaining across the empire, the need to build up our trade, and infrastructure for more income flow. Following this the army minister pipes up and argues that these upkeep costs are necessary! Navy begins rambling on about the need for ships being built for trade protection. Justice minister then starts on costs of local militia for policing the public order in the colonies. Mr. Brenton asked for everyone’s attention and then brings an idea forward that he had. “I have a list here I would like you all to give me some thoughts on. Here is the list.”

1. Disbanding the entire British military temporarily
    2. Regular payments to the six nations for protection of our colonies from French
    3. Reorganize our navy to properly protect the trade routes and build a modern trade fleet
    4. Fund the civil war in India between Mughals/Marathas to maintain unrest
    5. Focus on infrastructure upgrades throughout the empire to fill out coffers

This idea seemed to appease most of the ministers except for the army administer of course, his only fear was preparation to invasion in the colonies.

The minister for the Americas, Christopher Beaufort, said “I can draw up a bill to mobilize militia from the colonies if needed”.With this it seemed adequate for all. Pippin brought all this forward to King William lll the next morning for approval. William never had much care for cabinet duties or politics for that matter and never really blinked an eye before signing his approval for these bills, now all things were in motion to begin moving Britain forward into the 17th Century.

Deals were made with the Six Nations to maintain security around out colonies.

As well as a very lucrative plan to assist our trade partner, The Mughal Empire. We offered our assistance financially to help fund their war against the Maratha rebels and their uprising. This should help keep some level of unrest on the continent for Britain to become the balance in this unrest in the future.

“Let’s take a quick look at British standing around the world currently” Pippin said. “We began to recruit trade fleets in all ports around the British Isles, also disbanded all troops to assist in manning out navy, we will rely heavily on our navy for defense from any foreign invaders.” The Navy minister reported.

Christopher’s turn to report the Americas standing. “We have no military presence in our colonies now. for the most part it is all farms and plantations that will raise fighting men if needed if our native allies cannot keep the peace.”

Christopher also mentioned that he was working with out naval board about the Caribbean. “Our colonies in the Caribbean will be a base of operation for our navy to keep the pirates at bay and keep some production of sugar to pump into our trade agreements.” He did so hate the pirates and their lack for any kind of discipline.

The entire cabinet was very happy with how the books looked now, the British government had a good cash flow coming in, we had protection for our colonies, and a plan moving forward to build the navy to be powerful force on the high seas.

Things are looking very good for the British empire in this new century. there are some definite risks not having any military presence, but what is reward without any risk? we will see in the years to come.

Default Re: Rise and Rise Again - [GB AAR][IS Mod]

I will begin working on my next post tonight for you all as I have played the first 20 years so far.

Thanks again!

CHAPTER 1: Proving Grounds

The next few years were slow but needed for the empire, many upgrades were under way, plantations were being built and roadways were upgraded to build up a great trading infrastructure around our lands.

Moose factory was becoming a bustling trading hub for furs, many new trading posts were being built here to accommodate the enormous increase in demand for furs all though Europe.

The cabinet all agreed as well that Boston, New England was a perfect location to have as a capital in the colonies. Only the best architects from London were assigned for government, cultural and military buildings in this large city.

In the summer of 1702, it was a surprise but not unexpected, but France declared war on Britain. Immediately the cabinet approved 30% of the empire’s income was to be put to training a British army in London to be send to the colonies as a response to the French threat.

At the same time the government was approached from an Austrian dignitary. Austria was also at war with a French ally, they wanted Britain to come to aid them in this mainland war, but as we just entering war with France without drawing Spain into the fray, we had to respectfully decline the aid. The representative stormed out of the ministry yelling a few curse words that were not able to be repeated in the reports delivered to the king himself. The alliance was cancelled as well as all trade agreements.

To add bad news on top of bad news it was also reported that a large French fleet was reported leaving port from France with an invasion force aboard, the latest reports were a sighting near Cork, Ireland! George Rooke was dispatched by the naval board with a few ships of the line to intercept this fleet, destroy or take them a prize.

It didn’t take George long after being on route to Ireland that they spotted the fleet in the distance, they made full sail to make chase to intercept.

George was a little nervous for having less ships and being under gunned, but he was ready to do what was needed for his country and its safety. The French stopped trying to run and turned hard and everyone was sent to quarters.

George was very happy the have had a change in the wind, he ended up having the wind on our sterns. The order was placed to have both 5th rate ships in the line astern formation, the smaller frigate was to run separately so its speed could be used to intercept any routing ships and take them a prize.
    Then a moment came when George and the French admiral lined up close and they immediately ordered a full broad side! And as quick as the orders were send out, it would be the last order either admiral would ever give.

A cannon ball had taken the French admiral right off the starboard side and into the depths below, as well as for poor George, he was impaled by a large piece of wooden shrapnel from the mast.

The admirals ship was hit so hard it had begun to sink as George lay, dying on the quarter deck, his last words “get all the man on the boats, and send a damn drummer to the top of the main mast! We cannot lose morale this day!”

One brave sailor took the drum, and climbed the mast as ordered.

He played that drum until every French ship had surrendered from the overwhelming bravery every British sailor took into battle that day.

It was a hard-fought battle, but the French had received their taste of the new British navy that they would need to face. Admirals that are willing to throw their lived if needed to protect the shores, and British subject who do not waver so easily in the face of an enemy. To add insult, the entire invasion force was thrown to the sea and all French ships were taken a prize, renamed, retro fitted and put to service as soon as possible.

Back in the American colonies reports of French troops massing at out borders on the other side of a northern mountain pass that borders the St. Lawrence river have been confirmed.

The call was made to the Boston governor, General George Wade for local militia to be raised and stationed in Falmouth, Maine. This is the closest settlement to this mountain pass, we will hope it is enough to maintain our position until the British forces can arrive from London!

By winter of 1703 the French forces, lead by the French General Phillippe de Vaudreuil of New France, had began their march south towards Falmouth though the pass.

Luckily for General Wade, he was able to muster four regiments of militia and was stationed at Falmouth in response to this French threat. Will this be enough to repel a trained French army on the war path? These men are farmers and tradesmen, not soldiers. We can only hope there is no major conflict before the main colonial army can arrive before we lose Falmouth to the damn French. Worse yet Boston! Thank god the British fleet with our troops was spotted off the coast of Newfoundland.

Two more regiments from the southern colonies of Virginia and Carolinas has just been reported to have arrived at Boston, lead by a your captain by the name of Samuel Stockdale. General Wade sent a messenger that he was going to have them stay at Boston as a last defense for the capital but does not think the British army will arrive in time and that he needs them to immediately reinforce Falmouth to repel the French.

On route to Falmouth though, Captain Samuel was ambushed by the entire French army! Two militia regiments now had to stand their ground and fight on French terms. Sam gave up his only horse to a lone messenger and told him to ride hard for Falmouth and inform General Wade that he needed immediate aid in the county side outside of the settlement. This was it, Sam was going to have to hold his ground and pray that George received his call for aid.

Samuel could see the French organizing their artillery on the hill ready to fire on their position. This moment he had to be more then a captain, he had to lead these men, possibly into their imminent deaths. Sam stood in front of all 280 men he was leading, “These French have chosen to come to our homes and try to take it from us! lets show these dogs the strength of the Southern colonies and give them hell! This will be they regret thinking of us as just farmers! Today we are soldiers!” All the men started chanting “For home, and for our Captain!”

Sam could hear the rumbling sounds of the French artillery firing in the distance, he scanned his surrounding and had spotted a stone wall about 200 yards ahead of his position. He yelled for every man to get behind that wall and brace themselves!

A few unlucky men were cut down from artillery fire while scrambling for the wall, but for now the wall was firmly theirs. The French were still firing on their position and line troops were advancing. The French had some native warbands that they send in a full charge, thinking if they tied the militia up with melee combat, they would get their line infantry into perfect firing distance without loosing men.

Sam told all men to hold until the tribesmen were withing 50 yards and to then fire at will. When the two regiments opened fire, they cut down almost half of the native men where they stood. Around 40 men jumped the wall and fierce melee combat began. The natives were so shaken by the initial loss of men lost from the volley that they broke off almost immediately and ran to the forests. Not what the French had hoped for at all. By this time the French line infantry was within firing range and had began bombarding the men with volley after volley of musket shot, to top this off some native bowmen bought by the French had also began raining arrows down on the militias position. All Sam could do was hunker down behind the wall and pray for General Wade’s arrival to alleviate the situation.

Meanwhile while the militia were being bombarded in their position, George Wade, having received the message from Sam and immediately dispatching every able body he could, had approached the battlefield from the rear of the French position. He reached the top of the hill behind the battlefield and could immediately see the dire situation for Sam and his men. He noticed that Philippe had ordered all the men forward to assault the militia and had left himself and his artillery badly vulnerable from the rear. Without a single thought for his own safety George yelled to his Cavalry men “with me! We need to give these men some relief!” and charged across the field right into the French generals rear, as well as the artillery regiment.

It was a blood bath for Phillippe’s Bodyguard and his artillery…

Phillippe had been so surprised and caught off guard by Georges charge that he fled the field with the few bodyguards he had left. It was unbelievable, George could not imagine a general leaving his men so quickly at the first sign of trouble.

With the artillery taken care of and Georges men now on the wall behind the French soldiers, he orders all militia ground to fire at will and cut them down. George rode off to Sam’s right flank to push off the native bowmen, and while there ordered Sam to fix bayonets and charge the French line, which Sam quickly fixed bayonets and let a full charge himself with his remaining men! The Bowmen ran almost immediately upon seeing the cavalry on their flank, so George rode to his men and yelled his orders “Look at those men charging for their lives men! Fix bayonets and let’s surround the bastards, show no mercy to these French dogs!” The thundering cheering from both sides of the French was amazing and when the French turned to see six regiments of militia closing in on their position, they did not even have time to fix bayonets.

The battle was over before they knew it.

It was an unbelievable victory for George and Sam, the two men merged their two armies and setup their camp just outside of Falmouth. George ordered all men to have double rations and ale to celebrate their tremendous victory this day. George and Sam bonded over a few ales in the generals tent that evening, George told wade “I was amazed at the bravery, and of the sight of your militia regiments holding on under such immense pressure for so long without breaking Sam, truly impressive” Sam responded with a simple “we would not have been this successful without your timely arrival sir, and I thank you for that.”

News was also brought to Georges attention that the British army was docking at the small port settlement of Eastport, about a 2 months ride, near the border of Arcadia. George looked to Sam and said, “How do you feel about taking this fight to the French Sam?” all Sam could do was have a large grin and take another drink from his ale.

Author Comment: next we will see were the adventures of George and Sam take us. Two battle befriended men, on a mission to push the French back and prove that the British will rise against acts of aggression towards its people. George is also on a personal hunt to bring this Phillippe de Vaudreuil to justice.

I forgot to mention to everyone.

-im playing on N/N with this Mod
    -I'm playing with a complete Imperial Splendour 2.2.1b overhaul
    -Zero cheating in this playthrough
    -no reloading, what happens in my AAR is exactly how it played out

Thanks again
    Hd

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm enjoying your AAR! You provide a clear picture of the strategic thinking of the British (I wonder if the economic intervention in India will produce the intended result) and I look forward to seeing more of the adventures of George and Sam!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A wonderful start to your AAR, High Delivery! The battles on both sea and land were suspenseful and interesting to follow, the drummer on the top of the sinking ship's mast was a very enjoyable moment. You set the stage for George and Sam's relationship well with a tremendous victory over the French forces to bond over. I'm excited to see where the story goes next!

Great stuff so far!

Thank you very much for the encouragement! When I spotted the drummer on the sinking ship I just had to incorporate it. As for India I am very interested to see if I can have any economical effect on the continent with some funding.

Chapter 2: Taking Action

It was a beautiful summer morning in Maine, and George’s camp was very busy preparing for the march to Eastport. The small village bordered the province of Arcadia, where George knew that the French had control of Fort Nashwaak, and he intended on removing this fort from French control. He summoned for Sam to come to the command tent before the army was to set off the next morning. That evening Sam had reported to George as requested, “Sit down Sam, we need to speak.” Sam took a seat, not saying anything, he was trying to read George for he didn’t know what he was summoned for. “Sam, we will be linking up with the British regulars in a few months time, and I need you and the militia to be there with us on our march to Fort Nashwaak. I have been asked for personally by parliament in London to take direct command of the British regulars that are arriving in the colonies. I am appointing you acting commander for the colonial militia, all regiments reporting from Maine, Boston and New York will now by under you command.” Sam could not believe what he was hearing. “Sir. Surly there are more men properly sui…” George cut him off. “What I had seen on the battlefield was beyond extraordinary Sam. I am personally giving you this field promotion.” Sam gave George a thankful nod in acceptance of his new role with the British military. “Now Sam, best go prepare your regiments for the coming march don’t you think?” George said all with a large smile. Off Sam raced to prepare the militia.

While Sam was travelling to meet with George, who rode ahead to meet up with the British regulars. A messenger from Falmouth had come to his camp one evening informing him that Falmouth was under siege! Sam could not believe what he had heard. “We just pushed the French out of Maine.” Sam told the messenger. “Well they are back again Sir, led by a general by the name of Philippe de Vaudreuil.” Sam told the messenger to ride ahead and inform General Wade immediately, he was only a half days ride ahead of them by now. Sam could not believe this turn of events and needed to speak with George immediately on the situation.

Upon hearing the news of the Falmouth siege, George immediately ordered the British regulars to begin the march to Philippe’s siege camp. George was not about the see the city fall so easily to the cowardly general who ran from the field only months ago!

On Georges route back, he linked up with Sam and the militia. “Sam, we must abandon the march to Fort Nashwaak. I must march the regulars to Falmouth to deal with this Philippe de Vaudreuil once and for all.” Sam had something on his mind since he sent the messenger away a few days before. “George. Sir, I will continue marching the militia onward to Fort Nashwaak and begin a siege. with your approval of course. The men are ready to do whatever is necessary to end this French threat in Arcadia once and for all.” George was very concerned. “Sam are you sure about this?” asked George. Sam gave a confident nod. “Then I approve this operation Sam. Continue onward to the fort and capture her in the name of the British crown.” George pulled Sam aside to speak privately. “Sam. If there is any question of the success of your siege. Do not hesitate to break off and wait for me in a few months time, OK?” Sam shook George’s hand and with that, they began separate ways without knowing if they will see each other again.

George was approaching Falmouth a few weeks later, he could hear the thunder of mortar fire bombarding the city. He set up camp not far away from Falmouth, but far enough that Philippe could not have knowledge of his presence in the area.

George was in the command tent reviewing the assault plans with his captains in order to break this siege, when a guard came in and said there was a peculiar man here to see the General in private if he pleases. The guard said “Sir, he seems an odd sort, but he carries with him the parliamentary seal.” “Can everyone excuse us please.” George asked all his captains. The figure came in and approached George. “Who are you? And state your business sir.” George asked the figure. “My name is not important sir, my seal of parliament should be adequate for now.” “Quite” said George. “I was sent directly by Mr. Beaufort, the minister of Americas to bring some resolution to this French issue that has been plaguing us as of late Mr.Wade.” the man said. “Go on” said George. George has never liked when parliament gets involved in the duty of generals and warfare. “I’m reporting that General Philippe de Vaudreuil will not be an issue any longer.” The man left silently and without any further words. George could not believe what he heard. He despises the cloak and dagger work employed by the parliament. “Cowardly way to kill your enemies if I do say.” George mumbled to himself.

As much as George felt sick to his stomach with the situation, he new he had to act soon to make the most of the leaderless chaos in Philippes siege forces. The entire British force came down on the French camp. It was absolute chaos, and they were caught completely by surprise. The entire French force was either killed or captured in less then an hour of tent to tent combat. That would be the last of the French pushing on the British, it was time to push back on the French.

George entered the French general’s tent. He found Philippe stabbed with a dagger in his bathtub while writing a letter home to his children in France. George was saddened to see a gentleman killed in such a manner, that he ordered his personal assistants to dress the general in his finest uniform from the tent and prepare him for delivery back to his family home in Clermont-Ferrand, France. George also made sure to write a small letter that to his wife with a small story about how honorable of a death Philippe had in battle. George would not want a family knowing that their husband or father was slain in his bathtub, naked, with no chance of defending himself. It was the least George could do for a fellow gentleman, even if he was an enemy.

----------

While George was tied up with duties in Falmouth, Sam was approaching Fort Nashwaak. He could not help but notice how quiet it was, and he also could not see any men on the barricades. Camp was made and a messenger was sent to demand negotiations. While Sam was busy directing the building of siege fortifications and mortar trenches, the messenger returned with the commanders of the fort. “How old are these men?” Sam mumbled under his breath. The men that came to negotiate all looked in their fifties, and not even in uniform. “Bonjour, Monsieur?” the men asked “Stockdale, messieurs. Do you speak the kings English?” Sam replied. “Sume Sir” they replied in broken English. The talk was short, Sam demanded surrender of the city and it was outright refused. Sam assumed Philippe came and took all the able-bodied men in his attempt to siege Falmouth a second time, but these men were set in their ways and a siege commenced. The following winter in the early morning Sam woke to his scouts reporting that a mob of four hundred senior men had sallied forth with what looked like around Eighty Native mercenaries with them. The militia men made ready for a battle they did not want to fight.

Sam had planned for this and was prepared. They had made a U-shaped trap with barricades hidden in the nearby woods to lure the men in to. Sam was hopeful that if they hold fire until they are right in the middle of their trap the shock and fear will make them run and give up the fort with minimal losses to either side.

The left flank opened fire!

The right flank as well!

Sam led the charge of his center regiment into hand-to-hand. A shock trick to effect morale he picked up from George in his last conflict.

The native mercenaries ran almost immediately (seems to be common trend?) once they had seen the dire situation.

The right and left flanks fixed bayonets and swept around so they could approach from the rear. It wasn’t long before the men surrendered, and Acadia was now under British control!

A couple weeks later, Sam was in the commander’s office completing some routine paperwork for day to day activities around the fort when a letter was delivered to his desk. It was addressed “Commander Samuel Stockdale, Fort Nashaak, Acadia” when Sam turned it over, he immediately recognized George’s seal on the envelope. After his supper that evening, he sat down beside the fire in the commanders bedroom with a nice glass of brandy to open the letter from George. He can only hope that the fact George has sent a letter with is own seal means that he was successful in his attempts to break the famouth siege.

Content Emeritus

Samuel seems to be rising very quickly, his band of militiamen sure to become living legends before long. I wonder if our duo will dare to enter Canada proper and try drive the French from North America entirely?

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I'm really enjoying this, High Delivery! The pictures are great, and they illustrate your story very well; the story itself is gripping (and I liked the way you started with the ministers discussing their financial concerns and disbanding the military, for added drama); and the relationship between George and Sam is very nicely done. All the little details, like the drummer who climbed the mast, the information about what the men chanted going into battle, and the details of how George treated his fallen enemy, add so much to the atmosphere, and you fit those things into the wider picture very well, I think. I'll look forward to more updates!

I'm enjoying your AAR too and I agree with Caillagh and Turk! Sam noticed that the mercenary troops fled when they could see what their side would lose, I wonder if this experience will motivate Sam to keep a close eye on any militia under his command. (If I remember correctly, in Imperial Splendour the morale of militia is more fragile).

Thank all! I have been playing though the next ten years or so so then I can sit down and write some content for the next few chapters. Just been really busy with the holidays. As for Imperial Splendour, yes it seems militia break sooner, as well as any colonial troops. My own house rule I like to do with British is, I only allow militia to be raised in the colonies and I have to build my actual British troops from London to be shipped off around the world. I will have another chapter soon!

HD

That sounds like a good house rule, I look forward to your next chapter!

Hey all! Sorry for disappearing for so long. the holidays were crazy and then with all this Covid, it all got very hectic for me at work and home, so I did not have any time to sit and play games or even think of spending the time to write on this AAR and go through to do all the screenshots.
    So here is a quick update & mini chapter to warm my mind and fingers up again to get this AAR rolling again! hope you all enjoy and I will try to stay on top of this on a regular basis Thanks again you all for taking to time to read my posts.

Chapter 3: Catching Up

Sam was situated at his fire and had just opened his letter from George to get an update on the situation in Maine and how his friend George was doing. He briefed over the letter, official posting for men in the fort, Supply information, casualties, finances, munitions, ect, ect.” In the envelope however Sam noticed a smaller paper folded and tucked in inside, it was a more personal note from George for him. “Sam, I have stationed the British regulars on the provincial border of Maine and New France along the St. Lawrence river. The British crown has declared it unfit for the French to maintain a presence in the new world, it is my orders to push and capture all French colonies in the name of the empire. I also have informed the Army board back home about you and your men being so critical in the defense of the colonies, I am honored to offer 200 colonial fighting men the positions to be our first Colonial Regiment of Foot, and you will command it. All other militia are to be relieved of service and allowed to return to their homes. Please choose your top men and report to me by the spring of 1710 at Fort Maine. -George”.

Sam was a little put back. A few years ago, he was just a captain in the colonial militia, he is acting fort commander for Acadia, now he is to be a battalion commander for a British line regiment. He was not going to let George down, he got to work right away to get his men prepared for the spring march.

In the winters of 1709 George has eliminated all French from the colonies in the Americas and so far has brought prosperity and peace to the continent for the colonist. The British forces have moved north towards New France and have the French backpedaling, the momentum was theirs and they were not going to let up now.

By the spring of 1710, all militia has been disbanded and a proper line infantry regiment has been assembled and on route to the new British fort in northern Maine with the expedition lead by Sam Stockdale. George is wintering in the new fort and recouping his men for the push into the French Americas.

As for the rest of the British empire, the war with France has done very well. We have captured many small cruiser ships and have a good presence in most of the Atlantic and our home theatre is heavily patrolled by the British royal navy.

We have captured almost all of the French trading fleets and have turned them to work for the British now which has vastly increased our turn by turn income.

Also, our closest ally Portugal has sent word that Spain has invaded their lands, declared war and is rampaging through the country side.

Pedro ll the current king of the Portuguese fears the worst as his smaller country would not stand a chance against the Spanish in an all out conflict and is asking for our aid to defend its people. William lll would not stand for one of our closest allies and strongest trading partner to be lost to the Spanish, so war was declared and a relief force of Dragoons was dispatched from London to be sent to Lisbon as soon as possible.

Authors Notes:
    The coming years should see a lot of change for the British empire as now we are at war with two major power, France & Spain. We are desperately trying to keep our Allies the Portuguese alive and now loose a major sea port to the Spanish. Also we have become a dominant sea power and will need to maintain that at all costs. As for George and Sam they will begin their campaign against the French, but their recent alliance with the Cree would drag the native Americans into the confect starting a "French & Indian War" that would just cause non stop conflict in the Americas when we are trying to settle the region. Stay tuned

Content Emeritus

Life does have a tendency to get between people and their AAR. Glad to see you return.

Britain seems to be doing wonderfully. The French on the retreat in America and other Colonial regions. A great opportunity for Sam. Looking forward to see more of this.

Sam and George are doing well, but this new war sounds dangerous for Britain. I look forward to seeing how they'll get on in the French and Indian War.