Thread: Trying to edit agent's appearance/costume/skin

Icon5 Trying to edit agent's appearance/costume/skin

Hello!

I am trying to edit the appearance of the Kush Warlord agent (Champion) and replace its costume from afroarabian to egyptian. I believe it is the most logical thing for Kush to have access to Nubian/Ethiopian style Champions and not the afroarabian model. Hopefully the mod will be uploaded and available for anyone interested. Hopefully.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kush champion.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	707.2 KB 
ID:	360194

Name:	kush champion2.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	657.3 KB 
ID:	360195

So, from what I understand in the DataBase the two champions' names are egyptian_champion_male and afroarabian_champion_male. I have also found the tables "agent_string_faction_overrides", "agent_string_subculture_overrides", "agent_uniform_tables" that contain some useful information but my efforts have been fruitless. Oh and it may be irrelevant but the Kushite champion agent is called warlord instead.

I kindly ask for advice on this.

Of course we must be careful not to change the afroarabian model itself, because it is used by many other factions too like Nabateans. I only want to change the model for the Kush faction. Another thing is that Egypt's champion has Greek names even though he looks Nubian/Ethiopian so it would be nice to not use these names when playing as Kush.

Thanks for reading, I really look forward to any help and suggestions, of any kind.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Trying to edit agent's appearance/costume/skin

Hi,

you must make a entry for Kush in the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table and entries in the "campaign_character_art_sets" and the "campaign_character_arts" tables.

Then it should work.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Thank you for answering!

Following your guidance I was able to achieve the model replacement!

However when I add an entry in the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table, the type of the agent (warlord) is not shown in the tooltips

Name:	kushite champion1.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	360206

If I don't add the entry and I add the entries in the rest of the tables, the "Warlord" word is shown and the model is still replaced

Here are my changes

Name:	kushtables1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	360207

Name:	kushtables2.png 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	360208

Name:	kushtables3.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	360209

What am I doing wrong?

I do not understand why I managed to get the Nubian (egyptian) model available to Kush without the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table. Since I didn't delete the entries of the "campaign_character_art_sets" table that show the afroarabian model being available to kush, I don't know why I don't get any afroarabian champions in the game. I only get the Nubian (which is good, but I don't know why!)

For missing names you must create two new entries in "text":

agent_string_faction_overrides_name_override_championrom_kushm insert your name

agent_string_faction_overrides_description_override_championrom_kushm insert your description

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You need the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table for the right unit card for your hero.

If you don't add it, you got a afroarabian hero unitcard, if i remember correctly.

Generally "agent_string_faction_overrides" table make excemptions for the appearance of some agent types for some factions, which differ strong from the normal appearance of the agents of their cultural or subcultural group.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; December 14, 2019 at 09:54 AM.

Hello! Your help is invaluable. We are almost finished. There are a few issues left...

Ok so I get the right unitcard even without any change in the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table. And I also get the right name (I prefer Warlord instead of Champion or Brave of The King like Egypt) while with the entry the name is blank.

This is the screenshot without the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table

Name:	Nubian champion for kush2.jpg 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	360213

Could you please explain to me again how to add a custom name in "text" as you said? I am interested in this. Some factions use different name than "Champion" and I wonder where that name comes from. Sparta's champion is called Hero for example. Egypt's champion is called "Brave of the King". But I am ok with "Warlord" for Kush

So my problem now is whether I should add the entry in "agent_string_faction_overrides".

I have uploaded the current mod for people to test. I would appreciate any feedback so that I can make sure everything works ok and there will be no conflicts.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1936344243

You should download this template:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=272182428

Add "text" to your mod:

Overwrite the templates there with:

Left column right column

agent_string_faction_overrides_name_override_championrom_kushm
    insert your name

agent_string_faction_overrides_description_override_championrom_kushm insert your description
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; December 14, 2019 at 10:32 AM.

OK! I think I understand now what you mean. I am working on this at the moment to see if I can add custom names and if I will be able to use the overrides table without blanks. I will post my results.

In the meantime, you believe the mod I already made without touching the "agent_string_faction_overrides" table is wrong/badly made? It seems to work for some reason. I await your criticism.

PS: This "agent_string_faction_overrides" table includes many desert factions indicating them to use the afroarabian champion, I guess because before the release of the Desert Kingdoms DLC these factions used the eastern champion. But their subculture (african_arabian) is already in "agent_string_subculture_overrides" with the afroarabian champ. Not sure what is going on...

Ok so the text/db/agent_string_faction_overrides table in in a different pack (local_en.pack) and not in data_rome2.pack. Is this a problem?

Its ok, if your mod works without the agent_string_faction_overrides" table.

I don't even know anymore, why its important, but its a step to make a change 100% complete.

Those tables give some factions female or male agents, although their culture/subculture has generally other male/female agents. Its a way to diversify factions, but complicated.

I knew it once, but now only partially.

I figured it all out! Again, thanks to you!

So this "agent_string_faction_overrides" table is used in order to replace the name of type of the agent (for specific factions) with names like Warlord, Brave of the King, Hero, etc. The same can be also applied for spies and dignitaries. And the names must be entered in the text/db/agent_string_faction_overrides table the way you said.

For practice I made the champion be called "Kushite Warlord" instead of "Warlord" and it worked. So yes I added the entry in "agent_string_faction_overrides" and no more blank names!!

Name:	WARLORDDD.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	441.0 KB 
ID:	360214

I believe the mod is more complete now. But I will revert the name back to Warlord (the default one).

I feel much better now btw because I didn't understand what was going on!

You are welcome.