Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: PORTUGAL

Default Re: PORTUGAL

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    I think that for Portugal could make a new unique unit called "Besteiros" for early game, a portuguese crossbow unit with better stats than crossbow militia and with better melee combat as a medium infantry( with swords and little axes and adargas/buckle shields), available in cities and as mercenaries in portuguese lands( Lisboa, Coimbra and Algarve)
    Yes, Jinetes also is ok for Portugal but almogavares were almost for castilians and aragonese use.
    Also could make a new IBERIAN unit for Portugal, Castille and Aragon called "Hidalgos" as lesser nobles infantry armed with swords, chain maill/ gambeson and adarga/little buckle shields with high skill defense and attack but poor armour predeccesors of "rodeleros", It is well known that in the Iberian Peninsula it was full of minor noblemen called "Hidalgos" second-in-class who sought riches and fortunes in military campaigns such as the "Reconquista" or the conquest of America.

Besteiros do Conto would be that Crossbow unit for High Medieval. They were created around 1290 to 1300.

There are abundant references to the existence of Almogavars in the Kingdom of Portugal, who played an important role in the African campaigns in which they were immersed in the 15th and 16th centuries, where Almogavars and Almocadenes guarded the borders of the Portuguese possessions in North Africa.[36] Their military rank, exactly the same as their Castilian and Aragonese counterparts, is collected in Alfonsine Ordinances, and the Chronicle of King Manuel states "They sent Almogavars to run (...) to attack the Moors".

The Hidalgos are actually what i proposed for the Adventurers unit.
    the King had at his disposal military leadership to serve overseas under direct orders of the crown.
    "From the mid-15th century onwards, the lower and middle-ranking leadership of Portuguese expeditions and of the resulting overseas outposts were the fidalgos – gentlemen descended from the old knightly class. The importance of such men was highlighted by Azurara (Gomes Eanes de Zurara) during the second half of the 15th century. His Chronicle of the King Dom João I described the force assembled to attack Ceuta, the most enthusiastic being younger men who ‘ardently desired to acquire the merits of those who had given them life [their fathers], and following their example, to furnish proofs of their courage and loyalty’.

“Success led to a rapid expansion of a class known as the ‘nobility of service’, so that by the 16th century numerous fidalgos from minor and often poor aristocratic families would hang around the royal court, eager for a chance to show their worth. Consequently, the Portuguese government was able to employ large numbers in its armadas and overseas captaincies, their exploits filling the 16th century chronicles and literature.”
    Nicolle ill. Embleton 2012 p13-14

Crowley 2015 p228
    “The military code of the fidalgos valued heroic personal deeds over tactics, the taking of booty and prizes over the achievement of strategic objectives. Men-at-arms were tied by personal and economic loyalties to their aristocratic leaders rather than to an overall commander. Victories were gained by acts of individual valor rather than rational planning. The Portuguese fought with a ferocity that stunned the peoples of the Indian Ocean, but their methods were medieval and chaotic and, not infrequently, suicidal.”
    The historian João de Barros summarized its consequences for captains and commanders: ‘that in decisions about whether to fight … so that honorable deeds may be done, even if dangerous, they must not raise objections based on the personal safety of their lives.’ Henceforward prudence was impossible. No one felt able to refuse an engagement, however rash, without accusations of cowardice. Only bravery of the most explicit kind would suffice. The honor code of the fidalgos was accentuated to the extent of an emphasis on hand-to-hand combat over the distant destruction of cannon fire."

Crowley 2015 p278 (describing fidalgos at Goa, 1512)

“[T]he nobles wished to wield their enormous two-handed swords in heroic single combat, winning booty and polishing their reputations…”

Fidalgos who were nobles, clad head to toe in an expensive full set of armour, always at the top commanding positions, and also formed the veritable “spearhead” of assaults. Most notably, they wielded some scary two-handed swords the Portuguese called montante 3 which in the right hands was capable of cutting an un-armoured person (arguably the most common kind of foe the Portuguese faced in the east) in half, if the chronicles are to be trusted.

Early game its levy and municipal militia (spearman, crossbow) with Cavaleiros viloes (villanos), ginetes and almorgarves.

I would personally add the Order of Aviz to Portugal , so both countries avoid having the Knights of Santiago.

The most influential orders in Portugal

Last edited by Sete; November 23, 2021 at 12:09 PM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

@Sete, have a look at the Romaioi description made by Georgios.

I have no idea if the current description for Portugal is the right one:

{IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_PORTUGAL_TITLE}The Kingdom of Portugal
    {IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_PORTUGAL_DESCR}Of all of the European royal courts, Portugal is the youngest, having only just recently come of age, growing from county to Kingdom. As is typical at this stage of life, there have been more than a few growing pains for Portugal, and its inaugural King, Afonso Henrique. As if being recognised as the sovereign of a land were not hard enough at the best of times, Afonso's own mother attempted to seize power for herself before he was forced to defeat and then exile her!\n\nAs grim as Portugal's first years have been, there is no doubting that these shameful acts of betrayal within his own family have ensured that Afonso is a true survivor - and only a man that has endured through such troubles is likely to turn his fledgling Kingdom into a western power. Portugal's greatest threat does not lie within however...\n\nDespite some of the Kings and Emirs of the Iberian Peninsula supporting religious tolerance, the Christian and Islamic faiths do not appear to be able to share these lands peacefully. The ongoing Reconquista seems almost certain to ensure that the Moors will be an enemy of Portugal, at least until they are driven back across the straits of Gibraltar. That said, even then they will still be an immediate threat.\n\nThe other obvious threat is that of Alfonso el Valiente. No matter how noble he may be, any man who would declare himself Emperor of Spain essentially declares himself the rightful ruler of all of Iberia. It is entirely possible that he will seek to once again make Portugal a mere county to offer in his political barter.\n\nSome of the Portuguese believe that the best tyranny to face is that of distance. Poised on the edge of the civilised world, perhaps Portugal's fortunes lie across the seas and oceans, rather than across her immediate borders.

If I'm not mistaken that is the vanilla description, which to be fair is not far off. After the death of Afonso Henriques father, his mother engaged on a romantic relationship with a count from galicia. Fearing being once again being absorbed into galicia the nobles and bishop of Braga rallied around Afonso Henriques and they defeated his mother and the Galician noble in the battle of S. Mamede
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batt...%C3%A3o_Mamede

Alfonso VII of León regarded the independent ruler of Portugal as nothing but a rebel. Conflict between the two was constant and bitter in the following years.

If anything I would remove this bit:
    Some of the Portuguese believe that the best tyranny to face is that of distance.

Ah I see what you mean, I'll get a description done.

First draft done.

The history of Portugal is the history of Afonso Henriques.Single-handedly, he transformed Portugal from a vassal state into an independent kingdom.Exiled by his mother and her lover,Count Fernando Peres de Trava of Galicia, when he was only 12, Portugal stood to be lost to the ambition of outsiders. Arming himself Knight at the age of 14, he gathered the support of the county nobleman and clergy, and at S. Mamede in 1228, Afonso and his supporters overcame troops under both his mother and her lover,and took over rule of the County of Portucale.Complete independence, however, cannot be achieved by military means alone.Portugal still needs to be acknowledged diplomatically by the neighboring lands as a kingdom and, most importantly, by the Catholic Church and the Pope.The ongoing Reconquista seems almost certain to ensure that the Moors will be an enemy of Portugal, at least until they are driven back across the straits of Gibraltar. That said, even then they will still be an immediate threat.
    The other obvious threat is that of Alfonso el Valiente. No matter how noble he may be, any man who would declare himself Emperor of Spain essentially declares himself the rightful ruler of all of Iberia. It is entirely possible that he will seek to once again make Portugal a mere county to offer in his political barter.
    poised at the edge of Europe, Portugal future is now at a crossroads.
    On its northern and eastern flanks lay Castille an overweening, direct neighbour. Close by to the south the moors that need to be conquered, and
    further beyond looms Africa – both a danger and a temptation – while to the west stretched vast expanses of open Atlantic might hold secret distant lands...

Last edited by Sete; November 24, 2021 at 11:02 AM.

Events : W.I.P
    1139- King Afonso I of Portugal assembles the first assembly of the estates-general of Portugal at Lamego, where he was given the Crown from the Bishop of Braga, to confirm the independence.

1143- Treaty of Zamora: Alfonso VII of León and Castille recognizes the Kingdom of Portugal in the presence of King Afonso I of Portugal, witnessed by the papal representative, the Cardinal Guido de Vico, at the Cathedral of Zamora. Both kings promise durable peace between their kingdoms.

1290- Creation of the Estudo Geral (General Study) in Coimbra, the first Portuguese University, with the Faculties of Arts, Canons, Laws and Medicine, and later confirmed by the Pope Nicholas IV.

1386- Treaty of Windsor, an alliance between England and Portugal, the oldest Portuguese diplomatic agreement and the oldest diplomatic alliance in the world still in force. As a result, in 1387, Joao I marries, Phillipa, daughter of John of Gaunt, third son of King Edward III of England

1419- Madeira Islands discovered by João Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz Teixeira.

1434- Gil Eanes crosses the Bojador Cape: exploration of the African coast begins.

1491- Bartolomeu Dias becomes the first European to cross the Cape of Good Hope.

1494- The Treaty of Tordesilhas signed between Spain and Portugal, dividing the colonisable world in two halves.

1498- Vasco da Gama reaches India through navigation around Africa.

1500- Pedro Álvares Cabral discovers Brazil.
    Last edited by Sete; November 27, 2021 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sete View Post
    Events : W.I.P
    King Afonso I of Portugal assembles the first assembly of the estates-general of Portugal at Lamego, where he was given the Crown from the Bishop of Braga, to confirm the independence.
    Do you think that current faction of Portugal should be called "Kingdom of Portugal"( Regnum in latin) instead of Comitatus Portugale, i say because was a Kingdom in 1139, only 7 years after begin the mod, and for the rest of the game is "ugly" and unhistorical see which is still a county, no???
    Also if is possible give them some "unique units" from begin of the game as besteiros or others( in the current game only i see the lusitanian javalinmen, and i think that is AOR unit)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Kingdom. It's a thing for the rest of the game so, it's better.
    Early unique units I'm not having any luck.
    They were similar to other Iberian Kingdoms.
    The earliest unique unit is the Conto Crossbowmen created around 1290, which is high medieval if I'm not wrong.
    The best option for an early units are the Knights of the Order of Avis.
    Early game units for Portugal would be Municipal Pikeman.
    Quoting Sarcasm pt from the Medieval 1212 ad mod:
    As for short pikes/long spears, there's the matter of classification in written sources...we hear of ascumas, lanças and graves. The first are short spears intended primarily for thrusting but could (and were) thrown. It is also curious to note that they were valuable enough to be mentioned in the will of people such as the Bishop D. Vasco Martins, or the knights João Martins and Silvestre Peres, and as such a proper weapon, and one that the first class of footmen were obligated to own (or alternatively a spear, besides the darts) under the Dionisine reforms.

The second ones are without a doubt the most important weapon used in Portuguese territory, throughout all three periods. They were used interchangeably referring to cavalry or infantry weapons. The cavalry are mentioned in 1314 chancellery documents from the Dionisine reign, as having used spears as long as 9 côvados (something like 6 meters). The infantry on the other hand we have no real idea of how long of a spear they could use, but we can infer that some are clearly longer than the regular ones by other documents...for instance, there's a manuscript of an inventory from the Monastery of Chelas, dated from 1257, of certain wooden items to be delivered to the royal almoxarife in Lisboa, including spear shafts as well as what it calls "hastes longas de peões" (long footmen shafts), so there's a clear distinction here, and one that should be noted.

For late medieval game I have 3 to 4 unique units (1 naval)
    Espingardeiros do conto( Arquebusiers)
    Aventureiros (Noble adventurers armed with Montantes)
    Ordenancas (Halberdier infantry trained in the swiss style)

And the Grand Carrack.

The lusitanian javelinman should just be Almogarves.

Early game units:
    Levy Spears
    Levy Crossbow
    Almogarves
    Ginetes
    Knights of Aviz
    Cavaleiros Viloes (Municipal cavalry)
    Cavaleiros Fidalgos (Noble cavalry)
    Municipal Archers
    Municipal Spearman
    Municipal Pikeman (rudimentary pike unit)
    Municipal Crossbowmen
    Kings bodyguard

I dont know if you guys want a dismounted bodyguard dismounted Nobles unit, and dismounted military orders knights.

Portugal had the following Military orders in Portugal

Templars since 1122. Curiosity: Portugal was the first country in Europe where the Knights Templar settled.

Hospitallers (allegedly) 1112.
    Curiosity: Fernando Afonso( bastard son of Afonso Henriques) was for a short period of time alferes-mor of the kingdom of Portugal then proceeded to join the Knights Templar, followed later on by the Knights Hospitaller. He became Master of the Knights Hospitaller in the Iberian Peninsula in 1198, and then became Grand Master of the Order in 1202. A few years later he renounced his position as Grand Master and returned to Portugal.[2]
    He took part in the Fourth Crusade.

Order of Santiago 1172
    A portuguese branch, Santiago da Espada splintered in 1288

Order of Aviz 1146
    Portugal native order

I cant find any info on slingers to be honest.
    Last edited by Sete; November 24, 2021 at 03:53 PM.

High medieval
    Almogarves
    Ginetes
    Knights of Aviz
    Municipal Spearman
    Municipal Halberds
    Conto Crossbowmen (Besteiros do Conto)
    Mounted Crossbowmen
    Kings bodyguard
    Dismounted Nobles (Poleaxes)

Source: A arte da guerra em Portugal: 1245 a 1367
    Last edited by Sete; November 25, 2021 at 05:09 AM.

Late Medieval
    The Municipal Militias despite losing a bit of importance after the end of the Reconquista were still used in the late medieval era especially from Lisbon and Santarem, but Portugal started to move towards the English recruitment system.

Almogarves
    Ginetes
    Knights of Aviz
    Municipal Spearman
    Municipal Halberds
    Conto Crossbowmen (Besteiros do Conto)
    Mounted Crossbowmen
    Espingardeiros do Conto (Arquebusiers)
    Handgunners
    Swordsman Men at Arms
    Spearman Men at Arms
    Halberds Men at Arms
    Aventureiros (Adventurers)
    Kings bodyguard
    Dismounted Nobles ( Poleaxes, Greatswords)

Pastrana tapestries are a great source for late medieval Portuguese troops visuals.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastrana_Tapestries

I think that for the early army of Portugal lead by Principe Afonso should have crusades troops, as for example crusader sergeants and crusader knights to reflect that the taking of Lisbon (currently there is a script at the beginning of the game where the Portuguese besiege Lisbon in the second turn) was carried out by Portuguese troops and Crusade troops (2nd crusade).
    Also remove in the current unit roster basque longbow archers (totally unhistorical) and merge levy javelinmen and javelinmen in one unit, same case for almoghavars and catalans (only Almogavars units).

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toma_de_Lisboa_(1147)
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Wasnt aware of the script. Some Crusader Mercenaries maybe? They should not be permanently part of the rooster.
    You are correct on the long bows and Javelin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sete View Post
    Wasnt aware of the script. Some Crusader Mercenaries maybe? They should not be permanently part of the rooster.
    You are correct on the long bows and Javelin.
    I mean that these crusade army should be in the initial army of Portugal, the one led by prince Afonso, perhaps with a unit of crusader knights, another of crusader sergeants and maybe some of the Templars would be good to represent that they were helped by these soldiers in the taking of Lisbon.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

The early fifteenth century saw the introduction by João I of measures designed to
    improve the operational efficiency of the royal army. These included the designation of
    a permanent number of 3200 ‘lances’ (mounted men-at-arms)17 to constitute the back-
    bone of his army. Five hundred of these lances were provided by the major vassals of
    the monarch. A further 2360 corresponded to the lower-ranking vassals of the king,
    who were capable of mustering smaller retinues, and to individually summoned
    knights. The remaining 340 lances were the responsibility of the military orders. The
    Order of Christ, created in 1319 by King Dinis (1279–1325) from the ashes of the Tem-
    plars, and the Order of Santiago would provide 100 lances each. The Order of Avis
    16 César Olivera Serrano, Beatriz de Portugal. La pugna dinástica Avís–Trastámara. Special number of Cuadernos de Estudios
    Gallegos (Appendix to vol. 35) (Santiago de Compostela: Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas and Xunta de
    Galicia, 2005), 148–55. 17 In Portugal, the word lança becomes increasingly common in narrative sources from the end of the fourteenth century. It
    is almost certain that lança corresponds to a single warrior fully equipped and mounted. This impression is confirmed by
    what we know about the payment for military service provided by the nobility according to the system of quantias. So, it
    seems that in Portugal the military meaning of the word lança is much closer to the use of the term in England from the
    last quarter of the fourteenth century onwards than it is to usage in France (where during the fifteenth century one lance
    came to consist of three men: a fully equipped leader, a coutillier, and a page) or Italy (where by the end of the fourteenth
    century lancia referred to three mounted soldiers: a leader, a squire and a page). Cf. A.R. Bell, A. Curry, A. King and
    D. Simpkin, The Soldier in Later Medieval England (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013), 100–3.

(founded in 1176) was required to provide 80 lances, while the Hospitallers were assigned
    the task of contributing 60 further lances.18 The effectives also included men-at-arms
    recruited from towns and villages within the vast domains of these powerful institutions
    and under their jurisdiction and authority.19
    The Portuguese king also sought to improve the efficiency of the royal army by regulat-
    ing how soldiers were mobilised and paid. In the early fifteenth century, João sought to
    abandon the model of payment based on the allocation of quantias ‒ wages paid yearly
    in money, lands or revenue ‒ which had been prevalent since the beginning of the four-
    teenth century, along with the corresponding obligation that the person who received
    such monies or lands should mobilise a given number of lances proportional to the
    value of the quantia.20 João replaced this model with a salary which was directly pro-
    portional to the required days of service, similar to contemporary English and French
    systems.21 During the Ceuta expedition, we thus find Portuguese men-at-arms serving
    for 700 Portuguese pounds a month and foot soldiers for 400.22
    These reforms concentrated mainly on the military contribution of the nobility, which
    included not only men-at-arms but also an unspecified number of foot soldiers (perhaps
    two or three for each lance),23 and also on the contribution of the military orders. But the
    crown had other important military resources. For example, there were the urban militias.
    Divided into cavalry and infantry forces and composed of men armed and equipped
    according to status, these militias had played an important role in previous centuries, par-
    ticularly during the reconquista. Although by the early fifteenth century the militias had
    become less important, they continued to be an indispensable element in Portuguese
    royal armies. Particularly significant were the militias of the most populous cities:
    Lisbon, Santarém and Coimbra.
    Towns also supplied crossbowmen, organised through the conto (‘fixed number’). The
    system of the besteiros do conto (‘the fixed number of crossbowmen’) was created by King
    Dinis in the late thirteenth century. By 1421–2 it had grown to 5000 men, drawn from
    about 300 recruitment units spread throughout the kingdom, as is revealed in the
    charter in which João I and his son and heir, Prince Duarte, remodelled the number of
    men which each of those units was compelled to mobilise. This is one of the most inter-
    esting and original features of Portuguese medieval military organisation, for it gave the
    monarch a fixed and predetermined number of combatants from a quasi-professionalised
    regime with its own command structure. These crossbowmen were well trained, well
    equipped with good weapons and a fixed amount of ammunition, and were kept at a
    high degree of readiness so that they could be summoned quickly whenever their services
    were needed, including naval and overseas campaigns such as the expedition to Ceuta.24
    The success of this militia led João I in the last years of the fourteenth century (c.1392) to
    create, under a similar organisational model and legal framework, several units of
    18 João Gouveia Monteiro, A guerra em Portugal nos finais da idade média (Lisbon: Editorial Notícias, 1998), 83. 19 Miguel Gomes Martins, A arte da guerra em Portugal (1245–1367) (Coimbra: Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra, 2014),
    193–6. 20 Martins, Arte da guerra, 43; Monteiro, Guerra em Portugal, 34–5; Rita Costa Gomes, The Making of a Court Society. Kings
    and Nobles in Late Medieval Portugal, trans. Alison Aiken (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003), 223. 21 Monteiro, Guerra em Portugal, 41–2. 22 Monteiro and Costa, 1415, a conquista de Ceuta, 38. 23 Martins, Arte da Guerra, 70. 24 Miguel Gomes Martins, ‘Los ballesteros de conto en Portugal en la edad media’, Medievalismo 18 (2008): 379 and 387.

mounted crossbowmen. These were also summoned for the 1415 campaign, although they
    never achieved the size or the military importance of the crossbowmen of the conto.
    The manpower provided by the nobility, the military orders and the urban militias was
    boosted by the king’s personal guard and by criminals in receipt of a royal pardon in
    return for military service. Such was the case with the Ceuta campaign. The service of reci-
    pients of pardons was an important asset across all of the kingdoms of Iberia. Mercenaries
    might also occasionally be hired. Three thousand men-at-arms and archers under
    Edmund, earl of Cambridge, were engaged by King Fernando (1367–85) to fight alongside
    his army in the 1381–2 war against Castile. In reality, they operated on an almost indepen-
    dent basis, even attacking and plundering several Portuguese villages during their
    14-month presence in Portuguese territory (July 1381–September 1382).26 Aragonese,
    Castilian, Flemish, German, French and English soldiers participated in the Ceuta cam-
    paign in 1415, either individually or in small groups and companies.27 The chronicler
    Zurara mentions, in addition to the Englishman he calls Momdo, three French nobles –
    Arredentam, Perribatalha and Gibotalher – and a German baron on the expedition with
    40 noble squires.28
    Based on these contributions, the Portuguese crown was in principle able to muster
    around 15,000 to 20,000 combatants, of which 5000 or 6000 were mounted lances.29
    The remainder were mounted crossbowmen, and infantry, especially spearmen, archers
    and crossbowmen.30 In reality, such figures were rarely achieved. According to the Portu-
    guese chronicler Fernão Lopes at the Battle of Aljubarrota João I had under his command
    about 1700 men-at-arms, 800 crossbowmen and 4000 infantrymen, including 640 to 800
    English men-at-arms and archers, figures that seem feasible and which are compatible
    with what we know of the battlefield.31 More were raised for the Anglo-Portuguese cam-
    paign of 1387, led by João I and his father-in-law, John of Gaunt, where the king gathered
    3000 lances, 2000 crossbowmen and 4000 foot soldiers.32 Only on very special and excep-
    tional occasions were more raised. The Ceuta campaign of 1415 is one such case where the
    crown seems to have mustered an impressive 18,000 to 20,000 men (although not all of
    them combatants). These figures were secretly recorded by the well-informed Aragonese
    spy, Ruy Díaz de Vega, just a few weeks before the departure of the fleet towards Ceuta.33
    25 Monteiro, Guerra em Portugal, 72–6. The besteiros de cavalo (mounted crossbowmen) probably numbered no more than
    500 by the end of the fourteenth century. 26 Peter E. Russell, A intervenção inglesa na península ibérica durante a Guerra dos Cem Anos, trans. Maria Ramos (Lisbon:
    Imprensa Nacional – Casa da Moeda, 2000), 335. See also Monteiro, Guerra em Portugal, 86–7; Faria, ‘English Service and
    Servicemen’, 259–61. 27 Monumenta Henricina, 2: 132–6 (doc. 57). 28 Zurara, Crónica da tomada de Ceuta, 104 (Chapter 33). 29 The estimate is based upon what we know of the military resources of the kingdom, not just the chroniclers’ figures. We
    should, however, note that the Portuguese chroniclers Fernão Lopes and Gomes Eanes de Zurara were both keepers of
    the royal archive and they probably used records within the archive: Rita Costa Gomes, Dicionário de literatura medieval
    galega e portuguesa, eds. Giulia Lanciani and Giuseppe Tavani (Lisbon: Caminho, 1993), 271–3, 687–90; Peter Russell, ‘On
    the Sources of Fernão Lopes’, in African Atlantic, Chapter 2. 30 Monteiro, Guerra em Portugal, 91. 31 João Gouveia Monteiro, Aljubarrota. A batalha real (Lisbon: Tribuna, 2003), 98–9, estimates a force of less than 10,000
    combatants. Also Russell, Intervenção inglesa, 40. 32 Fernão Lopes, Crónica de D. João I, Parte Segunda, ed. William J. Entwistle (Lisbon: Imprensa Nacional, 1977), 214. These
    numbers are confirmed by the Castilian chronicler and chancellor Pero López de Ayala (see Monteiro, Guerra em Portugal,
    93). 33 Ruy Díaz de Vega had the opportunity to examine both the ships that were being prepared in Lisbon and the rolls con-
    taining the results of the mobilisation. Monumenta Henricina, 2: 141 (doc. 57).

Default Re: NEW VERSION - August 10th

Saw yesterday that a new version dropped out, had to download and try today.
    I have played 12 turns as Portugal, and what a start ! My first move was to take Lisboa to ensure territory security (each city can help each other), economy and future manpower.
    Moors did not enjoy and sent 2 times a nearly full stack of troops to do the siege of Lisboa.
    So I used my capital city to bring army each time and strike them from the back with the help of garrison.

Both were victories, but at a big cost. My current armies (separated in 2) is severely depleted (more than 60% from start I think, with help of few mercenaries) but Moors keep sending stack, with a 3rd one just started the siege of Lisboa (again). I know that SSHIP has this feature (which is good imo) but in this specific case, it became quite a pain to even not be able to replenish.
    If I can destroy this 3rd stack, it will likely be the last.
    And the Pope refuse a crusade against them, even if I am very highly religious.
    The good side is that I am quite rich (I can at least develop the economy) but few to no mercenaries available too lol !

Anyway, SSHIP is a great mod, I am still enjoying the challenge and I will see where I will go with Portugal !
    I only did 12 turns, just to recall !

Default Re: NEW VERSION - August 10th

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFriks View Post
    Saw yesterday that a new version dropped out, had to download and try today.
    I have played 12 turns as Portugal, and what a start ! My first move was to take Lisboa to ensure territory security (each city can help each other), economy and future manpower.
    Moors did not enjoy and sent 2 times a nearly full stack of troops to do the siege of Lisboa.
    So I used my capital city to bring army each time and strike them from the back with the help of garrison.

Both were victories, but at a big cost. My current armies (separated in 2) is severely depleted (more than 60% from start I think, with help of few mercenaries) but Moors keep sending stack, with a 3rd one just started the siege of Lisboa (again). I know that SSHIP has this feature (which is good imo) but in this specific case, it became quite a pain to even not be able to replenish.
    If I can destroy this 3rd stack, it will likely be the last.
    And the Pope refuse a crusade against them, even if I am very highly religious.
    The good side is that I am quite rich (I can at least develop the economy) but few to no mercenaries available too lol !

Anyway, SSHIP is a great mod, I am still enjoying the challenge and I will see where I will go with Portugal !
    I only did 12 turns, just to recall !
    Portugal is for sure the most difficult faction and you are the first to test whether it's possible at all to play it

Senator

Default Re: Bugs Reports & Technical Help

Greetings,

I´m currently playing Portugiese, Turn 150 or so, 30 Provinces; King uncrowned. Up to now, no problems.

But now I can`t recruit any Units or Agents anywhere, the recruitment-Slots are grayed out. Never seen this occur in Vanilla or any Mod. When I start a new campaign, everything works.

Thanks in Advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    Greetings,

I´m currently playing Portugiese, Turn 150 or so, 30 Provinces; King uncrowned. Up to now, no problems.

But now I can`t recruit any Units or Agents anywhere, the recruitment-Slots are grayed out. Never seen this occur in Vanilla or any Mod. When I start a new campaign, everything works.

Thanks in Advance!
    Hi Morifea,
    welcome! If I remember correctly, you were helping Aerin in developing the DIK mod?
    On your problem - never seen this occuring either. Please upload a save, I'd try to help you.
    BTW, tell about your experience with Portugal - I'd expect it to be very difficult, but you seem to have fared very well: 30 provinces within 75 years.
    cheers
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Morifea,
    welcome! If I remember correctly, you were helping Aerin in developing the DIK mod?
    On your problem - never seen this occuring either. Please upload a save, I'd try to help you.
    BTW, tell about your experience with Portugal - I'd expect it to be very difficult, but you seem to have fared very well: 30 provinces within 75 years.
    cheers
    JoC
    Greetings, you remember correctly.
    Those were the Times, when I had more than two Hours per week to spare for Gaming :-)
    Portugal is quite fun. Playing on M/M to get a grip on things.
    In the Beginning you have the interesting situation, that the muslim factions have more and heavier Cav than you; fighting style needs to be quite Skirmish-Heavy while your Militia units are simply there to die.
    Strategywise I took the classic Med2-Spain route: Refrain from War against fellow christian (except when they attack), take all muslim lands in Spain and concentrate on North-Africa.
    Develope those lands (the Area around Seville, Cordoba and Fas is a banger) and prepare for an advance into italy.
    The Small start is really nice.

Savegame will be uploaded when I´m back home.
    Thanks in advance!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234