Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SERBIA

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: [F] - SERBIA

Here is the Stratiotes model for Serbia, based on nikossaiz model for ERE:

Next step: make the model for rebels
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

I love them a lot ! I just think the spears are a little too long.

Blog Entries

I haven't touched them. I have mostly modified the shields textures and corrected a few texture assignements which were wrong. The mesh itself hasn't been modified.
    The textures are based on Vojislavljević (yellow strap on red background) and Nemanjić CoA (double headed white eagle on red backgrund). The green one with the yellow straps and the orthodox cross is based on a real medieval cavalry serbian flag. The 2 others are based on serbian symbols.

For the rebels, I'll probably use a mix of Croatian, Bosnian and Bulgarian symbols and CoA, to reflect the neighbouring regions of Serbia and Greece.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 02, 2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Below, the shields texture for the Stratiotes rebels:

From left to right:
    Kačići family Coat of Arms (Croatian)
    Bulgarian (from a medieval paint)
    Croatian
    Bulgarian
    Croatian (not sure about the accuracy of that one)

I'll try to post a pic from the game later on.

Good work. Your Serbian shields are fine, but I admit that I have no knowledge of the heraldry of families in this region. Did they wear their shields like this in the 12th century? It's possible.

Blog Entries

The Vojislavljević (yellow strap on red background) and Nemanjić CoA (double headed white eagle on red background) were used during the 12th century.
    The Green one is based on a Serbian cavalry flag but I can't say from which medieval era
    The 2 others are pure invention but based on real serbian symbols

Regarding the others (for rebels), the Kačići (Croatian Noble Family) CoA was uses from 1106 AD.
    The 1st Bulgarian one (red and green) is shown on a paint (12th century) from the fresco in the church of Saint Panteleimon in Gorno Nezeri (North Macedonia). I'm not sure it is Bulgarian as the church seemed to have been built by Greeks
    The 2nd Croatian one is based on their CoA . I can't find the pic anymore but the oldest CoA had less squares actually (2 red and 2 white). But to not get it similar to any possible other shield, I've used the one from the 15th century.
    The 2nd Bulgarian one is also from late era and based on one from a museum. Medieval Kingdoms mod uses similar shields for the Bulgarian heavy spearmen (see here). So yes it was used but more for spearmen than for cavalry.
    The last Croatian one is based on the croatian cosplay. That's why I'm not sure about the accuracy

In any case, I'm opened to suggestions

Edit: here are the models in game for rebels. Don't pay attention to the Serbian flag, I had to make a trick to test it in custom battles. These are really for rebels

Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 04, 2020 at 03:35 AM.

Blog Entries

I've reworked a bit the slave models for Stratiotes:

Not a big change: I've only removed the Croatian CoA and have replaced it with the Bulgarian flag from the 13th century. It seems more logical to me to make more Bulgarian rebels than Croatian one for that unit.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; June 05, 2020 at 01:14 PM.

Wow, these units are amazing. It's such a shame I can only see it as chunky models due to my 10-year-old, toaster of a laptop.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

There should be a special historical event or script related to Saint Sava and spread of the Orthodox church in Serbia at the begining of the 13c.

Default Re: SERBIA

Do any of you guys have advice for playing as Serbia? I’m having a bit of trouble with then.

Default Re: SSHIP - General Discussion

Hey does anyone have some advice for playing a VH Serbian campaign. I’m having a bit of trouble with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamedTang View Post
    Hey does anyone have some advice for playing a VH Serbian campaign. I’m having a bit of trouble with them.
    I haven't played them yet. I tried to allow them to take Skoder but how do they evolve later - I don't know. Tell us what kind of challenges have you experienced.

Nemesis2345's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by SteamedTang View Post
    My advice : Get good relations with the pope and the catholics and storm the Romans (Byzantines) since if you are at war with other catholics your realtions will drop and they will all try to attack you .

Hmm. I’ll try that out in a new campaign. The one I currently have I expanded to Bologna and am trapped btwn the Pope and Venice. Not at war yet.

My fear in implementing your advice is my ability to handle the Byzantines. When I have tried in the past I struggle greatly with all their javelin units.

Once you take Skadar, Vrhbosa, Zadar, and Ragusa, it is difficult to figure out where to expand next. The Byzantines are terrifyingly powerful and war hungry(making it difficult to maintain peace with them). There are hardly any remaining rebel settlements nearby that make sense to take.
    I just took Bologna in my current campaign. Not sure if it was the wisest choice.

Playing serbia in VH / VH is indeed quite a challenge !

In my playthrough as serbia a version or two ago, I gobbled up the rest of the balkans asap while keeping my starting castle as my eastmost region so i could use it to defend against the byzantines when they inevitably attacked me. Once or twice I attacked their greek provinces and returned them for peace. My territorial expansion was into hungary and then germany, which made for messy borders and a revolution in hungary I barely contained. If/when the ERE collapses, you want to be the one that picks up the pieces west of the bosphorus. Until then, moving into italy is probably the wisest course.

Guys,
    if there'd be a Serbian fan willing to write the descriptions of the events, then it would be quite helpful.

{SERBIAN__EVENTS_SECTION_BODY}----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------{SERBIAN__EVENTS_SECTION_TITLE} Technical line for easier editing of the section SERBIAN EVENTS

{SERBIAN0_STARTING_INFO_BODY}\n\nSerbian reforms are not fully implemented yet. The faction plays similar as it was in SSHIP 0.92 or 0.97.
    {SERBIAN0_STARTING_INFO_TITLE}Serbia in the Middle Ages

{SERBIAN1_REFORMS_INFO_BODY}\n\nSerbian reforms are not fully implemented yet. The faction plays similar as it was in SSHIP 0.92 or 0.97.
    {SERBIAN1_REFORMS_INFO_TITLE}Serbian Reforms

{SERBIAN2_NEMANJA_STATE_BODY}\n\nSerbian Reform 1.
    {SERBIAN2_NEMANJA_STATE_TITLE}Nemanja Dynasty

{SERBIAN3_SAINT_SAVA_BODY}\n\nSerbian Reform 2.
    {SERBIAN3_SAINT_SAVA_TITLE}Saint Sava

{SERBIAN4_DUSAN_EMPIRE_BODY}\n\nSerbian Reform 3.
    {SERBIAN4_DUSAN_EMPIRE_TITLE}Stefan Dusan Empire

{SERBIAN5_WESTERN_INFLUENCES_BODY}\n\nSerbian Reform 4.
    {SERBIAN5_WESTERN_INFLUENCES_TITLE}Stefan Dusan Empire

{SERBIAN6_BRANKOVIC_LAST_STAND_BODY}\n\nSerbian Reform 5.
    {SERBIAN6_BRANKOVIC_LAST_STAND_TITLE}Brankovic Dynasty
    Code:
        ;====================================================================================================== SERBIA EVOLUTION    ;---------- Serbia Evolution

set_event_counter serbian2_nemanja_state_player 0			; turn 80-140
        set_event_counter serbian3_saint_sava_player 0				; turn 150-220
        set_event_counter serbian4_dusan_empire_player 0			; turn 400
        set_event_counter serbian5_western_influences_player 0		; turn 500
        set_event_counter serbian6_brankovic_last_stand_player 0	; turn 600

;-------------------------------------------------------------------- SERBIAN STARTING INFO
    	; information about reforms

monitor_event PreFactionTurnStart FactionType serbia

if I_IsFactionAIControlled serbia
    			terminate_monitor
    		end_if

if I_TurnNumber = 4
    			historic_event SERBIAN0_STARTING_INFO		
    			terminate_monitor
    		end_if
        end_monitor

;-------------------------------------------------------------------- SERBIAN NEMANJA STATE
    	; Stefan Nemanja state (1166-1196)

if I_TurnNumber = 100
    		and I_SettlementOwner Ras = serbia						; at least the capital is in the Serbian hands

historic_event SERBIAN2_NEMANJA_STATE factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }									; info only for the nearby factions

if not I_IsFactionAIControlled serbia
    				inc_event_counter serbian2_nemanja_state_player 1
    			end_if

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 110										; FALL BACK - in case of failure or a bug
    		and I_SettlementOwner Ras = serbia							; at least the capital is in the Serbian hands
    		and RandomPercent > 90										; to add some randomness against the bugs

historic_event SERBIAN2_NEMANJA_STATE factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }
    				inc_event_counter serbian2_nemanja_state_player 1
    			end_if			

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

end_monitor			

;-------------------------------------------------------------------- SERBIAN SAINT SAVA
    	; Saint Sava cultural modernization (1174-1236)

if I_TurnNumber = 200
    		and I_SettlementOwner Ras = serbia						; at least the capital is in the Serbian hands

historic_event SERBIAN3_SAINT_SAVA factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }

inc_event_counter serbian3_saint_sava_player 1
    			end_if

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 210										; FALL BACK - in case of failure or a bug
    		and I_SettlementOwner Ras = serbia							; at least the capital is in the Serbian hands

historic_event SERBIAN3_SAINT_SAVA factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }
    				inc_event_counter serbian3_saint_sava_player 1
    			end_if	

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

end_monitor	

;-------------------------------------------------------------------- SERBIAN STEFAN DUSAN EMPIRE
    	; Stefan Dusan state (1330-1355)

if I_TurnNumber = 400

historic_event SERBIAN4_DUSAN_EMPIRE factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }

inc_event_counter serbian4_dusan_empire_player 1
    			end_if

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 410										; FALL BACK - in case of failure or a bug

historic_event SERBIAN4_DUSAN_EMPIRE factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }
    				inc_event_counter serbian4_dusan_empire_player 1
    			end_if	

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

end_monitor	

;-------------------------------------------------------------------- SERBIAN BRANKOVIC LAST STAND
    	; Brankovic dynasty (1427-1459)

if I_TurnNumber = 600

historic_event SERBIAN6_BRANKOVIC_LAST_STAND factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }

inc_event_counter serbian6_brankovic_last_stand_player 1
    			end_if

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 610										; FALL BACK - in case of failure or a bug

historic_event SERBIAN6_BRANKOVIC_LAST_STAND factions { byzantium, hungary, poland, hre, venice, kievan_rus, cumans, sicily, pisa, rum, }
    				inc_event_counter serbian6_brankovic_last_stand_player 1
    			end_if	

terminate_monitor
    		end_if

end_monitor

In the current version (0.98) bashtinik infantry, aka the peasent nobility/ free holders wield spear and shield and are stats wise worse than the norse landevearnsmenn how ever their lore text says that they should also have javelins which im pretty sure they had in the last version. Some ways to make them stronger would be to increase their unit size from the normal noble infantry of 101 to 120, make them better at hiding, give them javelins, give them a small stat boost perhaps in defence skill. The only thing they have going for them is that they have one of the best attack stats for spearmen in general.

fyi - in 098 the initial situation of Serbia shoul be eased somehow:
    ;------- Financial Support for Serbia ; very crude solution to the problem of initial inability of Serbia to support fighting - the same script as for Portugal & Lithuania

monitor_event FactionTurnStart TrueCondition
    and I_EventCounter faction_turn_serbia == 1

log --- Script start : Serbia supported

if I_TurnNumber > 1
    and I_NumberOfSettlements serbia < 2
    and I_NumberOfSettlements serbia > 0

console_command add_money serbia, 5000
    historic_event SERBIA_INITIAL_SUPPORT factions { serbia, }
    end_if

if I_TurnNumber > 1
    and I_NumberOfSettlements serbia < 3
    and I_NumberOfSettlements serbia > 1