Thread: ENGLAND

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default ENGLAND

I. General information

This thread is meant to gather all information about the faction and to conduct discussions on the faction related issues.

The entries should be developed by both the SSHIP team and the interested players.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 04, 2020 at 07:22 AM.

Default [F] - England

II. Strategy & gameplay

To be developed in due course. If you've played the game with this faction and have insights how to help fellow players, please write a proposal for this section.

Default [F] - England

III. Provinces (incl. names, provincial titles, resources, map features etc.)

The provinces that have historically been assigned to this faction are listed here - it's usually defined by the "faction_creator" in the "descr_strat.txt" file.

A. Map features, resources
    No comments yet.

B. Province names, settlement names, provincial titles

Provincial titles:

General explanations to be found in the relevant thread on the PTs.
    Catholic: I considered the use of the Hungarian term “Ispán”. However, because the title will be used also by other catholic factions, I've decided to use the Latin term "Comes".
    Orthodox, Muslim: generic "Knyaz of" and "Emir of".
    Coast of arms: have been reviewed and updated to be as historical as possible.
    Names of provinces: should be in Latin, so some adjustments are still needed - tbd.

Kaerenarvon Present day Caernarfon in North wales is a evolution of the original welsh "yr gaer yn arfon" which is a better fit than the renderings of Kaerenarvon and Caerenarvon found in the Brut.

Note there is no letter k or letter v in the welsh alphabet.

London
    Population: data for 11c. says 18k, for 14c. 45k.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; October 08, 2020 at 08:26 AM.

Default [F] - England

IV. Faction specific features (Crown, Offices, Bloodline, Traits, Buildings)

Quote Originally Posted by Elendil 03 View Post
    Miles is singular, the plural (for unit names) should be Milites.
    Regnum Norman-Anglorum is quite anachronistic. Today, we also don't speak about the "Windsor Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". Regnum Anglorum would make a lot more sense IMHO. .
    The Crown of England is discussed in this entry.
    (once finished and implemented, it might be copied here as well)

The Offices are described in this thread.

England has access to some buildings that may be not available to every faction: Castle Library, University (highest level), Tourney Fields.
    (note: this might be important for getting certain traits).

English Blood: not checked.

Specific traits: not checked.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 13, 2020 at 10:58 AM.

Default [F] - England

V. Starting position in 1132 (incl. settlements, armies, generals, traits, political situation)

to be developed in due course

Default [F] - England

VI. Units

to be developed in due course

Default [F] - England

VIII. Reserve

to be used if needed

Default Re: [F] - ENGLAND

Quote Originally Posted by Used2BRoz View Post
    In England, the longbowmen of the Hundred Years war period, were typically paid half that of a billman.
    They were mustered for a campaign and disbanded at the end of it.

Only professional English longbowmen would those in royal or noble retinues or mercenary soldiers in free companies.
    The rest were ordinary folk who just had a longbow and whatever bits and pieces of armour they could accumulate or were issued with.
    Weapons would be short sword / dagger and that's about it. And a mallet.
    The mustered longbowmen weren't given any training in melee fighting, if they survived they may learn if they fought in several campaigns.
    Seasoned campaigners would try and teach newly recruited longbowmen the basics whilst on campaign.
    In certain circumstances they could be useful as light infantry but one-on-one wouldn't last long against professional infantry on solid ground.

Default Re: [Release] SSHIP v0.9.6 downloadable - 6th of December 2019

Have now installed SSHIP latest version with patch.
    Playing as England.
    A few observations.

Present day Caernarfon in North wales is a evolution of the original welsh "yr gaer yn arfon" which is a better fit than the renderings of Kaerenarvon and Caerenarvon found in the Brut.

Note there is no letter k or letter v in the welsh alphabet.
    ------------------------

mercenaries - saxon huscarls in england in 1130s England ?
    Nope none still alive then
    Any that survived the uprisings against the norman invaders had either died or fled abroad by this date.
    They need removing.
    ----------------

English roster
    professional longbow archers didn't exist in England at this time.
    You might find a few mercenary crossbowmen employed in garrisons.
    Any archers in England at this time would be equipped with longbows, but were poorly trained and used in small numbers.
    Fyrd spearmen and spear militia are the same people in England
    The fyrd being anglo-saxon in origin didn't exist outside of England, so it would simpler to delete them completely so England can recruit basic spearmen everywhere.
    The fyrd went out of use during the 12th century anyway

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Release] SSHIP v0.9.6 downloadable - 6th of December 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Used2BRoz View Post
    mercenaries - saxon huscarls in england in 1130s England ?
    Nope none still alive then
    Any that survived the uprisings against the norman invaders had either died or fled abroad by this date.
    They need removing.
    Finally, someone agree with what I've been saying for a long while now
    Agree also about the fyrd: very local unit.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

- Results published

Default Re: [F] - England

I wonder if the choice of Lincoln as the main settlement in the Midlands and the choice of Bristol in the Wessex are the right ones.
    What would we think eg. about Nottingham and Winchester? Or maybe something else?

In the DAC both exist:

Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; August 03, 2020 at 08:47 AM.

Default Re: [F] - England

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I wonder if the choice of Lincoln as the main settlement in the Midlands and the choice of Bristol in the Wessex are the right ones.
    What would we think eg. about Nottingham and Winchester? Or maybe something else?
    From what i've read , both Nottingham and Lincoln castles were built at the same time , however i noticed Nottingham had a bit more political activity overall , including a siege fron Lionheart himself.

For centuries the castle served as one of the most important in England for nobles and royalty alike. In a strategic position due to its location near a crossing of the River Trent, it was also known as a place of leisure, being close to the royal hunting grounds at Tideswell, the "Kings Larder" in the Royal Forest of the Peak, and also close to the royal forests of Barnsdale and Sherwood. The castle also had its own deer park in the area immediately to the west, still known as The Park.[
    -wikipedia on Nottingham

Default Re: ENGLAND

English names could be taken from Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Norman sources... though, I would at least choose Anglo-Saxon names meticulously. For example.. Ralph, Osbern, Edmund, Baldwin, Carl, Siward, Edward are good, but maybe not Aelfwig, Gyrth, etc. and if purer Anglo-saxon names are used they should be sparing to indicate the displacement of that linguistic identity
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Categ...rom_Old_French
    http://domesday.pase.ac.uk/

Default Re: ENGLAND

While looking for info on the english longbow i came across this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...k_Roll_of_Arms
    I didn't know that, did anyone? Perhaps it could be a useful resource? Seems to be a lot of authentic heraldry depicted very clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post

And Jurand, now that I saw it again, I think those map textures look really pretty with the red and yellow (or brown) trees and the crops! Could we ask for permission to use them? Would they be compatible with the sship map? Or would the current ones be better?
    Last edited by Sindathar; October 20, 2020 at 05:39 PM.