Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCANDINAVIA (Denmark & Norway)

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Default SCANDINAVIA (Denmark & Norway)

I. General information

This thread is meant to gather all information about the faction and to conduct discussions on the faction related issues.

The entries should be developed by both the SSHIP team and the interested players.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; July 04, 2020 at 07:41 AM.

Default [F] - Denmark

II. Strategy & gameplay

2023:
    Quote Originally Posted by vovery View Post
    from what I've played Norway so far in several different starts, if playing rather slowly and not blitzkrieging right from the start, taking Lund from Denmark would happen somewhere between turns ~50-60. By then the player and AI Denmark have taken the rebel parts of Scandinavia, and Denmark has initiated war on the player and attacked Skara, so the player could retaliate and take Lund without too big of a diplomatic penalty (if only the Pope doesn't call for ceasing hostilities ). In the last starts Denmark has gone for Ribe first, then Liubice, next usually Kalmar or once even Stettin. After Kalmar, they come against the player in Skara and possibly Sigtuna, if the latter is held by the player.

I've usually gone for Skara first, then after gathering enough troops & getting Burislev to govern Skara, for Sigtuna next because of the heavy infantry spam the rebels currently do, and lastly, if not already at war with Denmark, for Visby. If the rebels wouldn't recruit from landowners in Sigtuna, Visby would be my choice before Sigtuna because of Visby's port, which brings more income initially. Sigtuna gets better only after you build the first level of mines. Oh and I always move the capital from Bergvin to Anslo either on turn 1 or a bit later after having enough money again after some initial building and conquests, as the corruption in the rest of the Scandinavia gets too bad if Bergvin remains the capital. Also I think it's easier to get good traits for Kong Magnus in Anslo.

Overall Norway is a nice faction to play in the early game at least. There're some rebel settlements to be taken in the beginning, and a bit later Denmark has usually grown into a tough, but beatable competitor. I'd imagine after securing Scandinavia, the next step would be to assault Scotland to be able to get the crown, or snatch Ĺbo from Novgorod before that to be able to build the Uppsala Domkyrka. Lots of possibilities, and quite few initial dangers, as Scotland seems to be too busy with England in the beginning to even think of attacking Bergvin. I remember trying Denmark a few versions back, but they were much easier to play in the early game because of the more lucrative cities and closer proximity to more rebel settlements.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 10, 2023 at 01:12 AM.

Default [F] - SCANDINAVIA (Denmark & Norway)

III. Provinces

Provinces that have historically been associated with this faction are listed here - it's usually defined by the "faction_creator" in the "descr_strat.txt" file. However, some may be in another faction's thread - due to historical or purely technical reasons.

Denmark in 12-13 century:

Provincial titles:

General explanations to be found in the relevant thread on the PTs.
    Catholic: "Jarl i" + name of the province. That's pretty simple once you've got the proper names of the provinces.
    Orthodox: generic English: “Knyaz” + name + "skyi"
    Muslim: generic "Emir".

Names of provinces: in old Norse, actually quite well researched by Elgrimr.
    Coats of arms: haven't been reviewed yet, but in the thread - yes.

Old Norse letters are used in the titles. You should read them as follows:
    Ţ/ţ = hard '"th" sound like in "thin"
    Đ/đ = soft "th" sound like in "then"
    Ó/ó = "o" sound like in "tool"
    Ǫ/ǫ = "o" sound like in "coffee"
    Í/í = "e" sound like in "feet"

Jarl í Borgarţingslǫg
    Jarl í Gulaţingslǫg
    Jarl í Vestrgautland
    Jarl í Svíţjóđ
    Jarl í Smáland
    Jarl í Gutland
    Jarl í Skáney
    Jarl í Sjáland
    Jarl í Jótland

Second thoughts of Eldgrimr:
    Borgarţingslog
    Gulaţingslog
    Vestrgautland = Gřtland
    Skáney = Skane
    Sjáland = Sialand
    Jótland = Iutland
    Smáland = Smaland
    Gutland = same
    Svíţjóđ = Swerike

Turku (Finland)
    PT: Jarl í Austrland. Starting in 13 century it was the sphere of the influence of the Scandinavians for 400 years so this is legitimate to use "jarl" for the catholic faction.
    CoA:
    Settlement name: Turku/Turku/Ĺbo. After the Scandinavian conquest of 2nd part of 13th century Abo's been a correct name. The script changing the name has been added in SSHIP 097 making the name dependent on the faction that conquers it (Abo for the Catholics except for Poland).
    Province name: Finland. Austrland would be more historical given that Finland was a name given to a small area, and perhaps only in 15th century became the name of the current province. On the other hand, since this region can also fall into Ruthenian or Lithuanian hands, we can leave Finland.

Resources: very few: furs. (097: ok)
    Fertility: 0. To far to the north, deep forests, swampy or frozen ground.
    Some interesting information might be found here.
    In 1132 this should be one of the least developed and least populated provinces on the map.

Ribe (Ribe, Ribe_Province)
    PT: Jarl í Jótland (xx).
    CoA:
    Settlement name: Ribe. Perfect.
    Province name:
    Resources: ...
    Fertility: 1. To far to the north.

It would be nice to represent somehow the Stones of Jelling - adding authority?

Sigtuna (Sigtuna, Jarl í Svíţjóđ)
    PT: Jarl Jarl í Svíţjóđ(xx).
    CoA:
    Settlement name:
    Resources: nothing but tolls.
    Fertility: 0. To far to the north.

Kalmar (x, xxx)
    PT: Jarl í Smáland(xx).
    CoA:
    Settlement name:
    Resources: x.
    Fertility: 1.

Skara (x, xxx)
    PT: Jarl í ).
    CoA:
    Settlement name: Should move to Elfsborg in the late era.
    Fertility: 1.

Visby
    (Visby,
    xxx)
    PT: Jarl í Gotland (xx).
    CoA:
    Settlement name:
    Resources: nothing but tolls.
    Fertility: 0. To far to the north.

Visby was the centre of the Baltic trade in 12-13th centuries, and a trading centre of the Viking trade to the east in the centuries before. It deserves to have a Baltic trade building from the very beginning.
    More to be read about Visby here (UNESCO), and here. I've got doubts about some part there, eg. reasons of the demise in the late Middle Ages (as a matter of fact, they were economic, not Black Death).

Bergvin (Bergen, Bergen_Province)
    PT: Jarl í Gulathingslog.
    CoA:
    Settlement name: Bergvin.
    Fertility: 0.

Ánslo(Oslo, Oslo_Province)
    PT: Jarl í Borgarthingslog.
    CoA:
    Settlement name: Ánslo.Resources: x.
    Fertility: 0.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 13, 2022 at 03:56 AM.

Default [F] - Denmark

IV. Faction specific features (Crown, Offices, Bloodline, Traits, Buildings)

The Crown of Scandinavia is discussed in this entry.
    (once finished and implemented, it might be copied here as well)

The Offices are described in this thread.

Denmark & Norway has access to some buildings that may be not available to every faction: Castle Library, University (highest level), Tourney Fields.
    (note: this might be important for getting certain traits).

A unique building in Sigtuna:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Danish Blood: not checked.
    Norwegian Blood: not checked.

Specific traits: not checked.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 12, 2022 at 10:08 AM.

Default [F] - SCANDINAVIA (Denmark & Norway)

V. Starting position in 1132 (incl. settlements, armies, generals, traits, political situation)

Beaware that the Norwegian generals have infantry bodyguard units.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; March 26, 2020 at 03:05 AM.

Default [F] - Denmark

VI. Units

Lifthrasir with inputs from Kjertesvein and Ringek:

NORWAY

Militia
    Leidangr: early period, recruitable in city. Replace spear militia.
    Bogimennr: early period, recruitable in city. Replace peasant levy archer.
    Lanvarnarmenn: late period , recruitable in city. Replace urban spear militia.
    Lasboga Landvarnarmenn: late period, recruitable in city. Crossbow militia.
    Sverdstafs Landvarnarmenn: late period, recruitable in city. Polearm militia (equipped with atgeir or similar)

Professional Units
    Drengjar: early period, recruitable in castle. Available as mercenary unit.
    Lidmenn (Liđsmenn): Professional spearmen, recruitable in castle (not sure about that unit). Available as mercenary unit.
    Svenner or Vćpnere: light cavalry. Recruitable in castle from 1200, low availability.
    Atgeimenn: Late era, recruitable in castle. Equivalent to Sergeant (equipped with atgeir, polearm, spear axe? etc…)

Special
    Gestir: early era, recruitable in city (note: “uniform” and banner in black). Available as mercenary unit.
    Gestahg: Superior unit, early era, recruitable in castle (equipped with kite shield and sword, upgrade with heather shield). Not sure to use it for complete unit but probably as officer model for Gestirs.
    Veidimenn (Veiđimenn): Professional archers, recruitable in castle.

Retinue
    Hirdsmenn: early bodyguard and then becoming recruitable unit in castle.
    Hofudvordr (Retinue): Late bodyguard unit (after 1350). Heavily armoured dismounted unit, fighting with 1 handed mace + shield or war hammer or short halberg (not sure about weapon type).

Feudal Nobles
    Riddere: Late era, knights, low availability, reruitable in castle after 1250-1270.
    Skutilsveinr Footmen: Early era, recruitable in castle. Infantry swordsmen.
    Huskalar (or Húskalar): Early era, available until 1250 AD, recruitable in city.

DENMARK

Same as above but without Atgeirmenn, Veidimenn and Gestahg, specific to Norway.

Late bodyguard unit should be mounted like other Western European factions. Possibly early bodyguards as well.
    Cavalry units with more availability compare to Norway. Some Western Feudal units available but with lower availability compare to other Western factions.

Knćgter: Men-at-arms, late era, recruitable in city or castle (not sure). Low availability. Specific to Denmark.
    Korsfarere: Elite noble knights, many Johanites (Knights of Saint John) veterans from holy wars in the Baltic regions. Specific to Denmark. May be subject to St John Chapter House building.
    Korsfarere footmenn: Equivalent to militia Landvarnarmenn, but these are veterans of pagan’s war. Specific to Denmark. May be subject to St John Chapter House building.

Quote Originally Posted by vovery View Post
    Here are my remarks from the initial unit rosters of Norway, Lithuania, and Novgorod from early game experience (mostly ~50 first turns). These are from the August version with VH/VH. I've played without the financial aid, so the unit recruitment & upkeep cost discussions might very well be different, if playing with financial aid on.

Norway

Initial armies

As a first deed I always discard the axe militias (one in Bergvin, one in Anslo), king's hirdmen (one in Magnus' army), and landevaernmenn (one in Magnus' army). The first and the last simply because of not being able to recruit them for a long time (i.e. no free upkeep in cities and no replenishment available), king's hirdmen for their high upkeep cost in the dire financial situation.

Initial unit roster

- Overall the unit roster feels usable and quite balanced even with cavalry being of course an exception, because even the bodyguards fight on foot.
    - I never bother to waste building time and money to build stables in Bergvin in early game, as svenner are an awful unit for their cost. The only usable cavalry for Norway early game comes from crusades, when you get to recruit crusader knights.
    - Because of the lack of cavalry, veidimenn are a very important part of the Norwegian roster. They have long reach, good missile power, and decent armour to counter enemy archers. Their current availability feels balanced; you can't spam veidimenn, but get one unit only every 20 turns. This makes the player take good care of them, and try to keep them alive in battles.
    - Bondir form the core of the Norwegian army, as they are cheap, well available, have decent attack & total armour, not to forget their bonus against cavalry. Much more usable than regular drengjar for example, who are quite costly for their only slightly better stats & no cavalry bonus. I use drengjar only as free public order troops in castles.
    - Of the heavier light infantry, veteran drenjgar are already a clear upgrade from the regular ones, as their stats are much better when compared to bondir, but the recruitment & upkeep costs are still reasonable. Unfortunately the player has to wait quite long to be able to recruit them. Same goes for landevaernmenn vs. spear militias. But on the other hand, this creates incentive to build leather tanners to buff spear militias and drengjar a bit.
    - From the landowner troops, huskarlar are usually my choice over king's hirdmen due to their cavalry bonus and effectiveness against armour too. As a matter of fact, I only recruit hirdmen if I need to quickly bolster the ranks of a settlement when an enemy army is getting ready to attack it. The upkeep cost of both is however so high that I've kept at most ~3 troops with ~4-5 settlements.
    - I never recruit chudes as Norway, their recruitment cost is simply too high early game.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; September 29, 2023 at 01:47 AM.

Default [F] - Denmark

VIII. Reserve

To do:

Quote Originally Posted by Waluk View Post
    I agree Norway needs a bit of a revamp. Played for 160 turns and the economy is so weak you can't afford any units, couldn't even defend against rebels. Once the two initial merchants die, you can't recruit new ones. Same with diplomats, once the first one dies, you can't recruit a new one and princesses aren't as reliable as you also need them for marriages. Than civil war broke out and it was time to abandon this playthrough. No money, no units, no agents. Meanwhile Denmark conquered HRE down to Nurenburg and all of the baltics. Also having no cavalry as generals bodyguard is tough. Mind you, this is VH/VH difficulty, but I doubt lowering difficulty would help much in terms of economy and agent availability. Had very similar experiences with Novgorod, where I restarted 3 times. By the time you conquer a province or two, you are most likely already in a war against Lithuania. Your starting units are weak and every time I fought the Lithuanians at our western borders, a massive army of Cumans appeared east of Novgorod and the Danes disembarked in Finland and Estonia. Aaaaand it was game over But I did see the AI Norway is quite strong and often defeats the Danes. Also most of the times the Papal state is still the one conquering all of Italy. Can't wait to try out new version.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; June 07, 2023 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: [F] - SCANDINAVIA (Denmark & Norway)

bergen (norway) should be called Bjřrgvin ---> http://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/diocese/db541.html

but, as you can see from norwegian wiki, the town has had many different names (just use google translate):

I norsk skrifttradisjon pĺ 1200- og 1300-tallet ble bynavnet gjerne skrevet Biorgvin og senere formene Bjargvin, Bjćrgvin, Bergvin og med latinisert skrivemĺte Biargina, Berginum, Bergć (Bergensis i adjektivform). Pĺ 1300-tallet ble trolig ogsĺ formen Bergon brukt i lokal uttale. Skrivemĺten Berghon finnes i et brev fra 1404. Formene Berwen, Berwen, Beren og Bern finnes ogsĺ i skriftlige kilder fra middelalderen. Gĺrdsnavnet Břrve i Hardanger har trolig samme opphav og Břrve ble tidligere skrevet Berven. I et par originalbrev fra 1349 finnes ogsĺ formen Biřrgvin og i en avskrift fra 1343 Biřrvin.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

My previous work on these rosters based on my researches and inputs from Kjertesvein and Ringek:

NORWAY :

Militia:
    Leidangr: early period, recruitable in city. Replace spear militia.
    Bogimennr: early period, recruitable in city. Replace peasant levy archer.
    Lanvarnarmenn: late period , recruitable in city. Replace urban spear militia.
    Lasboga Landvarnarmenn: late period, recruitable in city. Crossbow militia.
    Sverdstafs Landvarnarmenn: late period, recruitable in city. Polearm militia (equipped with atgeir or similar)

Professional Units:
    Drengjar: early period, recruitable in castle. Available as mercenary unit.
    Lidmenn (Liđsmenn): Professional spearmen, recruitable in castle (not sure about that unit). Available as mercenary unit.
    Svenner or Vćpnere: light cavalry. Recruitable in castle from 1200, low availability.
    Atgeimenn: Late era, recruitable in castle. Equivalent to Sergeant (equipped with atgeir, polearm, spear axe? etc…)

Special
    Gestir: early era, recruitable in city (note: “uniform” and banner in black). Available as mercenary unit.
    Gestahg: Superior unit, early era, recruitable in castle (equipped with kite shield and sword, upgrade with heather shield). Not sure to use it for complete unit but probably as officer model for Gestirs.
    Veidimenn (Veiđimenn): Professional archers, recruitable in castle.

Retinue:
    Hirdsmenn: early bodyguard and then becoming recruitable unit in castle.
    Hofudvordr (Retinue): Late bodyguard unit (after 1350). Heavily armoured dismounted unit, fighting with 1 handed mace + shield or war hammer or short halberg (not sure about weapon type).

Feudal Nobles:
    Riddere: Late era, knights, low availability, reruitable in castle after 1250-1270.
    Skutilsveinr Footmen: Early era, recruitable in castle. Infantry swordsmen.
    Huskalar (or Húskalar): Early era, available until 1250 AD, recruitable in city.

DENMARK:

Same as above but without Atgeirmenn, Veidimenn and Gestahg, specific to Norway.

Late bodyguard unit should be mounted like other Western European factions. Possibly early bodyguards as well.
    Cavalry units with more availability compare to Norway. Some Western Feudal units available but with lower availability compare to other Western factions.

Knćgter: Men-at-arms, late era, recruitable in city or castle (not sure). Low availability. Specific to Denmark.
    Korsfarere: Elite noble knights, many Johanites (Knights of Saint John) veterans from holy wars in the Baltic regions. Specific to Denmark. May be subject to St John Chapter House building.
    Korsfarere footmenn: Equivalent to militia Landvarnarmenn, but these are veterans of pagan’s war. Specific to Denmark. May be subject to St John Chapter House building.

It still needs to be polished a bit but I think that the main lines are there
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 17, 2020 at 05:40 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Inputs from King Athelstan about the above:
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan
    What you've posted seems quite fair, I like the overall vibe of them, and can probably help with descriptions going more in depth if you'd like down the line.
    I very much believe Lidmenn should stay in, they were basically the bodyguard of nobles during the high middle ages, sorta like the Kings Hird. - the reenactment group I'm in is called Bispeliden, meaning the Bishops (The Arch one in Nidaros, the main guy up north) lid, prevalent during the high middle ages especially. It'd be a shame to see them out.
    As for the atgeir, as I'm sure you know no one actually knows what specific weapon it was, but they work as a general polearm-unit and it does have a very nice flair to it.

Leidangr can be called Leidangrmenn, ass "Leidangr" is just "The leidang".
    Veidimenn is a bit of a "fictional" unit as I believe it's just Icelandic for huntsmen, but they still work well for gameplay reasons and all that.
    Gestir fit in nicely, they were basically on the bottom tier of the "Hird"
    For fun - this is how the rank system in the Hird looked in Norway in 1227
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Konge
    Hertug (Duke)
    Jarl (Earl)
    Lendmenn (barons); stallare (Responsible for the kings stables, spoke for him at court, drottsete (Responsible for the King's household/Second in command) , merkesmann (Held the Kings banner)
    Skutilsveiner (knights, basically, second in command after lendmennene)

The rest of the hirdmenn, the "gestir ("guests") and huskarer (There's no "L" in the Norwegian spelling, not sure on the Danish/Icelandic) didn't sit at the kings table, but were still part of the kings hird.

Skutilsveinere were directly renamed to "riddere" in 1277, but held the same position etc.

Knćgter is indeed a very Danish word - note the "g" especially, would be spelled knekter in Norway. Fits well there, though they did appear in the late medieval era in Norway too, but then again - at that point the whole of Scandiavia was the same thing, so I'm very glad that there's an early medieval focus to differentiate the factions here, very nice work.KA
    @ JoC, what's in the spoiler may interest you for the titles
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Always happy to help
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

My part with Denmark (VH/VH difficult):

On turn 68, I must admit my defeat, even if I still have two communities and a young king of 27 years, the Kong Mikkel.

My first mistake was to marry the departing princess instead of using her as a diplomat, because after more than 65 laps, I did not have the opportunity to build a building to recruit a diplomat. Without a diplomat, my relations with my neighbors gradually deteriorated until three factions joined simultaneously against mine.

After a first failure towards the west to capture the Danish peninsula, I turned towards the east and the communities which border the Baltic Sea. I took Kalmar, then on the other side, Stetin and the Pomeranian, the island of Visby, then the community of Sigtuna. Norway's first attempts at my main town of Lund had failed and they had signed a peace treaty.

Then the Holy Empire made peace with Poland, which began by launching attacks against Stetin. Norway, then the Holy Empire decided to declare war on me one after the other. I ended up losing Stetin despite heroic resistance, but the most worrying was the repeated attacks by large armies of the Holy Empire against my capital Roskilde ...

But the holy empire was not satisfied to send armies to me: at least three assassins roamed around my capital without that I can recruit one to defend myself, for lack of having had time to build the building which recruits.
    It was a disaster: the assassins killed 4 of my generals including 3 members of the royal family, heir included !
    An assassin went to the far east of my territory to kill my best general in the town of Sigtuna.
    My king was alone against the armies of the empire and was killed defending his capital.

So it was the end. The Norwegians threw themselves on Lund and Sigtuna, two cities whose leaders were assassinated and conquered them without great difficulty, especially Sigtuna, because I had previously evacuated my few remaining soldiers to Kalmar after having destroyed all that counted the city of value .

This is where I am now:

Conclusion:

1- Without a diplomat, Denmark has a big disadvantage from the start. It is especially important not to marry the princess who is the only one who can tie alliances.

2- The king of Denmark and his generals do not have knights at the start of the game while the rebel city of the peninsula has them. That explains my failure to the west. Replacing the Hirdsmen on foot with bodyguards on horseback should be fixed in the next version for Denmark.

3- This is the first time that the AI ​​has managed to destroy my faction thanks to its assassins. I don't know if it's a good thing but it adds an interesting challenge. It is essential to be able to quickly guard against their attacks by recruiting assassins in defense. Unfortunately, the poor development of Denmark did not leave me time to build the necessary buildings, neither to recruit diplomats, nor to recruit assassins.
    Last edited by kostic; April 24, 2020 at 03:18 PM.

This is an impressive report, Kostic!

ad. 1 - Following modding of the Merchants (where there's one merchant from capital, and the other sources), I'm going to give any faction ability to recruit a Diplomat from it's capital irrespectively from whether it's a city or a town. Being restricted in the way you've just described it utterly unhistorical.

ad. 3. - Indeed, the AI seems to be very good with the assassins. We need to have a closer look. I think you've noticed that some traits and ancillaries lower Personal Security of the generals - this may also have helped the AI to kill your generals.

Blog Entries

That was MWY who decided to remove diplomats from small factions. I never understood why
    I have no problem to give a diplomat or a princess to each faction at the start.

Agree about the Danish BG. They should be mounted. In the current game, only Norway should have dismounted BG and only until sometimes during the 13th century (if my memory serves me well. They should also have a bonus vs cavalry imo.

The basic protection against assassins is spies. Put a spy in each settlement with an important family member and you should be safe. Beside, you can recruit a couple of assassins to kill the AI's one for the "cleaning". I've never had any trouble that way

Edit: on a side note, giving the Hanseatic League to Visby right at the start seems a bit early. I might be wrong but I can't see it in Visby before at least 25-30 years later.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 25, 2020 at 12:30 PM.

In my opinion it's actually the only moment it should have this guild. In 13th century the kogge technology developed so much that Visby lost in (comparative) importance. The merchants would simply omit the unnecessary intermediary. The big time for Visby it was the 12th century. They dominated the Baltic sea in this century, we see the many coins from this period as well.

If you want to be strict, the Hanseatic league should be introduced in 1356 - it was the first Hansetag.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; April 25, 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm considering the early beginning of that guild in 1158 when Henri III, Duke of Bavaria and Saxony, took Lubeck. I can't find a precise date but it seems that Visby became an important trade center for the German merchands soon after, allowing them to expand up to Novgorod. So, yes, agree to make Visby important during the 12th century with such a guild but not at the start in 1132.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I'm considering the early beginning of that guild in 1158 when Henri III, Duke of Bavaria and Saxony, took Lubeck. I can't find a precise date but it seems that Visby became an important trade center for the German merchands soon after, allowing them to expand up to Novgorod. So, yes, agree to make Visby important during the 12th century with such a guild but not at the start in 1132.
    Why 1158 would be the begining of the guild? What actually has changed? It was still many years Lubeck had to compete with Schlezwig and with the other merchants. And during a few decades the Visby merchants dictated the commercial situation in the Baltic.

If you find somebody who will write a script giving this guild to Visby, we may include it instead of put it at the begining.

Blog Entries

From Encyclopaedia Britannica:
    After its capture by Henry III (the Lion) in 1158, Lübeck became the main base for Westphalian and Saxon merchants expanding northward and eastward. Visby, on the Swedish island of Gotland, was soon established as a major transshipment centre for trade in the Baltic and with Novgorod (now Veliky Novgorod), which was the chief mart for the Russian trade. From Visby, German merchants helped establish important towns on the east coast of the Baltic: Riga, Reval (now Tallinn), Danzig (now Gdańsk), and Dorpat (now Tartu). Thus, by the early 13th century Germans had a near monopoly of long-distance trade in the Baltic.
    From newworldencyclopedia:
    Lübeck became a base for merchants from Saxony and Westphalia to spread east and north. Well before the term Hanse appeared in a document (1267), merchants in a given city began to form guilds or Hansa with the intention of trading with towns overseas, especially in the less-developed eastern Baltic area, a source of timber, wax, amber, resins, furs, even rye and wheat brought down on barges from the hinterland to port markets.
    Visby functioned as the leading centre in the Baltic before the Hansa. For 100 years the Germans sailed under the Gotlandic flag to Novgorod. Sailing east, Visby merchants established a branch at Novgorod. To begin with the Germans used the Gotlandic Gutagard. With the influx of too many merchants the Gotlanders arranged their own trading stations for the German Petershof further up from the river—see a translation of the grant[4] of privileges to merchants in 1229. Before the foundation of the Hanseatic league in 1358 the word Hanse did not occur in the Baltic. The Gotlanders used the word varjag.
    Should I continue?

No need.

Shouldn't Bergen be put as Norway's capital? Oslo was capital after Bergen, around the XIV century or so

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast