Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nation, Empire - War

Sae's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Nation, Empire - War

Maintaining legions takes a lot of money in the beginning, I max. I kept 3 legions, I took them wherever I saw it was important, if one of them was depleted, I took another legion and charged it so I could go with it with renewed vigor.
    My tactic. I carried three legionnaires through the empire. front 4 garrisons, middle 2 auxilia spears set 1-2 sagitarii, rear 1 legionnaires. 1-2 bodyguard, 1 light cavalry. In border places. 1 in the northern province, 1 in near northern Italy to Pannonia and 1 in northern Africa. In the beginning until the my income improved.
    Last edited by Sae; July 23, 2020 at 03:27 AM.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i´ve also greatly used the heavy cavalry unit from the london border stack in the gallic theatre. briton was quite and save, thanks to the big rebel stacks there.

Sae's Avatar Libertus

OK. Now, economically, how are you? You count on the Vandal, Frank, Goths hordes coming, all three of them came to me almost once. Or are you already over it?

i´m making about 7000-10000 per turn, money is always short. i set taxes at high, but not very high because of to many rebel spawns. luckily the hordes keep out and conquer each other as soon as they settle. franks still settle. vandals and greutingi goths are horde, but are at war with the ERE. only hot war is against the berbers in northern afrika, but there units are crap and i can keep them out.

i noticed a settlement called vienna in france and some missing unitnames (unlocalized placementtext).

Sae's Avatar Libertus

That's a very good income, I think you're spending the money on improvements. It is worth the slave market development and health.

i avoided slavemarkets, because of the negative public order and tried to build ports, roads, pigfarms and cleypits. didn´t focus much for recruitment, only some recruitmentcenter near the borders have "better" second tier units. i´ve also barely recruited new units. mostly i hired veteran cavalry where possible, they only have 10 upkeep and used the babarian migration settlements as recruitment center for germanic cavalry. they fit best for my early defence strategy + they have instant 2 chevrons. health have good public order bonus, but most settlements are massiv christian now and public order is secure for the most part. setting taxes to high let my settlements enough growth to upgrade them whereever possible. This is starting now, after they have more than 6tds male inhabitants. i like to build walls as a second priority - mostly in the east.

Sae's Avatar Libertus

Then now the economy is in full swing, slowly got you the line of defense and you preparing for conquest. Do you have any plans?

the berbers harras me very often with small armies and besiege some settlements from time to time. don´t know if they horde after i conquer there lands. but i leave saxons and franks alone. thervingi goths horde is in a war with the hunnic horde (lossing). also alans and all the other small factions fight each other. i will leave this mess and defend my holdings for now.

Sae's Avatar Libertus

Berbers and Saxons as in the original Barbarian Invasion are not horde factions. You relatively lucky, the Thervings, Franks, Vandals came to me almost in a row.

Thervings now fleed with 3 crippled quaterstacks into my lands, but i´m neutral with them. don´t know i f i should finish them off. hunnic horde is on the doorsteps now, but alans still fight them.

Sae's Avatar Libertus

The Thervings will probably attack you, the Huns will usually move in the direction of Roma.
    If you have time and like it, share 1-2 picture frames with us.

The my battle, Sahsons at war

Last edited by Sae; July 28, 2020 at 03:41 PM.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Do you have any plans to add more factions? The Romano-British or perhaps one of the many Roman usurpers that appeared during the period?

Sae's Avatar Libertus

All 20 factions is present in the mod, I can't add any more.
    Or what else do you mean?

here we go

as you can see 4 horde factions are on my doorstep or beyond now. thervingii are dealt with, but alans, huns, vandals and what not are going on vacation. don´t have much to stop them. i hope my siege defence will work. Iuvavum is spitting out germanic cavalry + infantry all the time. Aquincum has 3rd tier infantry barracks now and Sirmium just upgrades it´s walls.
    Last edited by _Tartaros_; August 06, 2020 at 03:19 PM.

Sae's Avatar Libertus

Huh, I see, you don't think you're left out of good things either, it's a good tactic to defend the city if there's a front unit inside and the legion would do well. And the other thing I see and hope the Huns don’t go to the Lonbards to get even them out of their place.
    I am curious about the further transition.

Hi Sae,

I like your mod very much and +rep. It is very detailed and as historic as possible. I'm currently pplaying a campaign with the Roxolans and I'm having a lot of fun with it. The huns passed with their armies and so I can build up an empire in peace. But I'm a little surprised that some types of troops have the same stat_costs despite different values in attack and defense. For example the levy spearmen and the steppe spearmen differs in a few values, but have exactly the same costs... Shouldn't he steppe spearmen therefore have a bit more stat_costs?

Greets Mag

Sae's Avatar Libertus

Hi Magnentius,

Thank! Yes, the big Hun team has bypassed the Roxalan every time so far, but the Sassanids appear soon enough, it's worth preparing for them.
    There are 2 units in each faction at the same cost, except for the 2 Roma. One is good in defense and the other in attack, it’s worth taking both into battle at once.

Yes, the Huns leave me alone and so I can help the Eastern Roman Empire, which is in great distress. The Sassanids and the two Arab factions attack it continuously. In west it has lost significant provinces to the Thervingi. Maybe I can help the emperor by attacking the Sassanid Empire. Relieving the burden on his north-eastern front should help him to fight his other enemies better. Especially since we are allied. And I don't leave my allies alone ...

I understand the idea with the same costs for the units and I think its better for the non-roman factions to recruit capable units at the beginning. In my campaign I use this two units and they are the backbone of my infantry line in battle.

Sae's Avatar Libertus

The position of the Eastern Roman Empire is more difficult because of the desert peoples and the Sassanites. How are you doing with the campaign, what difficulties have you encountered or is it easy with the Roxalan?

Hi Sae,

at the moment its very easy with the Roxolans. I can conquer and build up my little empire and no one of the other factions is on war with me. Only the Sassanids and the Iazygs could be a problem in the future. The beginning of the roxolan campaign is easy but the rest of the campaign may be a bit more difficult whren you have to compete with the Sassanids and the other barbarian Tribes. But now I want to start a campaign with one of the Roman empires...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast