Thread: Three Christs

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Three Christs

Has anybody seen that one?

Rotten Tomatoes says there is no consensus about it yet, though it is a 2017 film.
    Not that RT is considered reliable in our day.

IMDB gives it 6/10, which is not bad considering what most films get.

Is there anyone who can tell me if it is worth my time?
    I have precious little at this time of the year.

Default Re: Three Christs

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    Has anybody seen that one?

Rotten Tomatoes says there is no consensus about it yet, though it is a 2017 film.
    Not that RT is considered reliable in our day.

IMDB gives it 6/10, which is not bad considering what most films get.

Is there anyone who can tell me if it is worth my time?
    I have precious little at this time of the year.
    Since it was only screened in the Gala Presentation in the 2017 Toronto Film Festival, and won't be released to a limited showing in general theaters in January 2020, chances are very few people have seen the film.

A crowd that goes to something like the Toronto Film Festival isn't your typical movie goer. While the synopsis of the film looks promising to me, I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone who has actually seen the film, unless they were at the 2017 Toronto Film Festival. I plan to go to see it, and will let you know what I think if you can wait until January.

Here is the synopsis

In 1959, psychiatrist Dr. Alan Stone (Richard Gere) arrives at a mental hospital in Ypsilanti, Michigan armed with the radical belief that schizophrenic patients should be treated not with confinement and electroshock therapy but with empathy and understanding. As his first study, he takes on the particularly challenging case of three men-Joseph (Peter Dinklage), Leon (Walton Goggins), and Clyde (Bradley Whitford)-each of whom believes they are Jesus Christ. Hoping that by getting them together in the same room to confront their delusions he can break through to them, Dr. Stone begins a risky, unprecedented experiment that will push the boundaries of psychiatric medicine and leave everyone involved-including Dr. Stone himself-profoundly changed. Based on a remarkable true story, Three Christs is a fascinating and moving look at one man's journey into the deepest mysteries of the human mind.

But in the Wikipedia page of the book the movie was based on calls it a dark comedy, while the original book the movie was derived from doesn't seem very comical. Here is what it says below. Peter Dinkiage is a good actor, it would be interesting to seem him in the movie.

A dark comedy film based on the book, Three Christs, starring Peter Dinklage, Richard Gere, Walton Goggins and Bradley Whitford, and directed by Jon Avnet, was released on September 12, 2017.[7][8]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Th...s_of_Ypsilanti

I thought Dinklage was the god of tits and wine?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I do very much enjoy Walton Goggins, possibly one of the best playing oddballs...

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

It has Tyrion and a 1000-year old Richard Gere. Should be ok.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC