Thread: Crash and Visual Glitch

Default Crash and Visual Glitch

A rundown:

In my mod, whenever I go to look at a general's bodyguard unit (be it an actual general's bodyguard or peasants) the game crashes whenever I close that the general's info menu, not when I close the unit info... No 'sorry pal' message, just straight to desktop. Then when I open the mod a second time and open up the general's unit info, when I close the general's info the mod doesn't crash but gives this visual glitch, and then when I quit the campaign it crashes with a 'sorry pal' message. Nothing in the log tells me why it does this, and so far it's only happened when I've edited the ui/_/interface files... I found a thread on here that said a new .tga can cause a memory leak/crash if it's 512x512, I've changed the canvas size many times and it still happens... I am confusion, so please help and please tell me if I'm just being an idiot... I'll link a .rar of my mod if anyone would need to get a better look. Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191209134455_1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	313.6 KB 
ID:	360149

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cg...a3_tweTV6v9jmB

Default Re: Crash and Visual Glitch

Not sure wether its the case with your mod, but TGA files that are encoded with RLE (Run-Length-Encoding) can cause disortion of the ui followed by crashing the game.

Ah, the thing that you uncheck in Gimp! Yeah, I've made sure to keep that unchecked... But it's a terrifying thought that one may have gotten through... That could be the reason, thank you!

Gigantus's Avatar The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Can't say I observed an RLE related issue - in fact I actually compress TGAs by default.

There are other possibilities:
    weird formatting of the related text files, missing text in general
    TGA in indexed format (in GIMP check that the image\mode setting is set to RGB)
    actually having changed the measurement of the interface files - thereby causing issues with the co-ordinates in the SD files

The glitches on the pic (replaced small symbols) indicate a memory leak issue indeed. Only solution to that is to save and reload - but it normally only happens after extended play. Can't say I have come across it in the very first rounds.

Do the .xml files have to be any specific encoding type (ANSI, Unicode) or is just a regular 'save' after an edit fine? And I've made sure to to delete anything from the .xmls, only edit.
    I shall do that; I plan to go through every .tga I've edited and make sure to save them with the RLE unchecked, while doing that I'll keep an eye on the indexed format.
    I haven't changed any of the interface file sizes, only added new ones and made sure to add them to the .xmls.

Huh, as this happens every time I close out of a unit's info... No matter if it's the first round or ten round in... Curious...

Gigantus's Avatar The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Modding Emeritus

Blog Entries

Simply use the standard 'save' command with the XML files to preserve formatting. They should be in Windows (CR LF)\UTF-8 format when opened with ++, check at the bottom right.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist