Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: President Trump's funny insults

Default Re: President Trump's funny insults

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    are we children in the schoolyard or what?
    Probably.

See how it works? Imagine we'd be politicians and the guy who doesn't pay attention to politics would stumble upon our debate, who'd he vote for? The guy who gets offended over a joking remark, or the one cracking it? As long as the joke finds the some latching point, whether it be grain of truth or just racial stereotypes, it doesn't even have to be really funny to sway the listener.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; December 12, 2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Personal ref. removed

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just yesterday I was watching an old interview with Letterman. People have been laughing at him for at least twenty years. I have a hard time believing it to be a strategy, I don't know what reason a billionaire would have to make a fool of himself as he did. Narcissism stronger than his intelligence? Well, I don't know.
    No will at all to defend Trump, but since I know quite well the world of business... true businessmen have no honor and nothing is more important than money.. you can spit right in the center of their forehead, if you are ready to pay good money for the privilege of doing that
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin
    Just yesterday I was watching an old interview with Letterman. People have been laughing at him for at least twenty years. I have a hard time believing it to be a strategy, I don't know what reason a billionaire would have to make a fool of himself as he did. Narcissism stronger than his intelligence? Well, I don't know.
    I sincerely doubt that making a fool of himself is what he does at anytime. Laughing at or about someone makes it extremely easy for that person to approach you and get a message across. I mean, you laughed yourself silly about him, so how could he seriously mean all the he said? Right? Until he bites you in the ass with: "But I told you so!"

There was no question of 'stronger' in my statement, you may have missed my point completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Probably.
    That's fairly nonsensical response considering the question asked. But then it''s also denigrating and confirms the outlook you have been promoting.

See how it works?
    No I don't, unless it was an exercise in twisting someone else's statement against him born out of a lack of own ideas. It certainly was a lazy one liner.

Imagine we'd be politicians and the guy who doesn't pay attention to politics would stumble upon our debate, who'd he vote for? The guy who gets offended over a joking remark, or the one cracking it? As long as the joke finds the some latching point, whether it be grain of truth or just racial stereotypes, it doesn't even have to be really funny to sway the listener.
    My vote will not go to the one that deems it necessary to insult his opponent to get his point across. How is he going to get across things that actually matter and not play to the stereotypes to mask his inabilities?
    And you are putting the cart before the horse: Donald's "jokes" (a misnomer if ever saw one) are made because of the latching point that this his voters for some really base reason find appealing. But then they have already surrendered their brain to their supreme leader and only require this 'panem et circenses' exercise - and his righteous voice obviously.

Never seen a more disgusting and disheartening spectacle then a American crowd cheering a American president while he insults and derogates every American tom, dick, harry and senator that doesn't kiss his ring.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; December 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: continuity

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I sincerely doubt that making a fool of himself is what he does at anytime. Laughing at or about someone makes it extremely easy for that person to approach you and get a message across. I mean, you laughed yourself silly about him, so how could he seriously mean all the he said? Right? Until he bites you in the ass with: "But I told you so!"

There was no question of 'stronger' in my statement, you may have missed my point completely.
    I interpreted that you said that he was not stupid, but that he did not care to make a fool of himself in order to get attention or get his message or get closer to the general public (or in order to earn more money, as I think Flinn now says).

I just saw some more old videos of him doing the jerk. I repeat that it is very difficult for me to believe that any type of ambition can lead a person to behave in such a ridiculous way continuously. He doesn't play any role, he's that idiot. This could be another discussion, but aside from this (his jokes and boutades, play dumb with a goal), which perhaps led him to win an election, is there any evidence of his alleged intelligence?
    Last edited by mishkin; December 10, 2019 at 04:13 AM.

Nice echo camera that you have assembled here. Congratulations alhoon.
    It's amazing, you don't seem to have any concept of humour whatsoever.

Does he have a funny name for Alexandria Ocaso Cortez?
    It's ironic she's accusing anyone of anti-Semitism, given her list of friends...

A young non white woman, certainly he have mixed feelings.
    You seem to have a lot of insight into his mind. Perhaps you'd care to divulge some more of it? Like, what are his innermost feelings on more pertinent issues?

No I don't, unless it was an exercise in twisting someone else's statement against him born out of a lack of own ideas. It certainly was a lazy one liner.
    That's exactly what it was. But it is better than offended response, at least in the eyes of the average American.

My vote will not go to the one that deems it necessary to insult his opponent to get his point across. How is he going to get across things that actually matter and not play to the stereotypes to mask his inabilities?
    And you are putting the cart before the horse: Donald's "jokes" (a misnomer if ever saw one) are made because of the latching point that this his voters for some really base reason find appealing. But then they have already surrendered their brain to their supreme leader and only require 'panem et circenses' - and his righteous voice obviously.

Never seen a more disgusting and disheartening spectacle then the crowd cheering a American president while he insults and derogates every American tom, dick, harry and senator that doesn't kiss his ring.
    See, that's the problem, you're fighting on the wrong front. There's a significant polarization in US society. But Trump is not aiming at those.
    There is a longstanding trend in modern democracy. As politics grow more complex and information sources become more abundant and sometimes contradictory, the politics become too opaque for many people, and they withdraw from active role in democratic process. You can see that in a gradual trend in voter turnout decrease, which is noticeable in many countries, not just US. Those people are disillusioned, generally see politicians as corrupt and detached from their world, and have an anti-authoritative tendencies, in part due to that. They're not interested in politicians debating the big things, because they see that as empty words.
    Trump managed to appeal to and mobilize small part of those, because he's not a politician, but businessman. Instead of telling people that they should change, let go of their little prejudices (that often trigger SJWs who see it as casual racism), that they should be more ecological while the politicians keep using private planes, he embraces those quirks and flaws of personality, rides the fear of change and appeals to those people by giving a finger to established political figures. It's pure marketing. Instead of telling potential customers that they should change and buy their things (or ideas in this case), he takes the target audience as it is, finds the unexploited niche, and only after he uses it to get them in his grasp he starts twisting them to his purpose.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin
    is there any evidence of his alleged intelligence?
    The only one using the word intelligence in this thread is you and me - and I am only responding to your claim of it, so where does the 'alleged intelligence' insistence come from?

Proving "intelligence" is a matter of using an agreed standard and the only fitting standard I am aware off is the Wechsler Adult lntelligence Scale - to my knowledge, or rather the absence of it, Trump hasn't undergone that one or any similar one.

Making claims of 'great unmatched wisdom' and labeling himself as 'very stable genius' may call into question the relative sanity of the man but is by no means an indication of his intelligence. Although the only other head of state ever using the first phrase was Gaddafi. Chilling similaritiy once again?

Trump managed to appeal to and mobilize small part of those, because he's not a politician, but businessman. Instead of telling people that they should change, let go of their little prejudices (that often trigger SJWs who see it as casual racism), that they should be more ecological while the politicians keep using private planes, he embraces those quirks and flaws of personality, rides the fear of change and appeals to those people by giving a finger to established political figures. It's pure marketing. Instead of telling potential customers that they should change and buy their things (or ideas in this case), he takes the target audience as it is, finds the unexploited niche, and only after he uses it to get them in his grasp he starts twisting them to his purpose.
    In other words history repeats itself once more and everyone is OK with it because grandma was the only one that remembered how it worked out last time and she isn't around anymore (it certainly does vindicate my earlier, less then friendly statement about Americans and politics): identify the most common base level of your electorate, appeal to it and exploit it and then use the result for personal aggrandizement to the detriment of others.

While I could still accept the first part as a 'win at all cost' drive (not the method, mind you, just the principle) there are too many indications for me that the latter part will not end well for many, including Americans. A narcissist does not rest on achievements, he needs constant reaffirmation. Which means new, Donald created disasters that Donald then fixes (more often not) to claim himself as the savior.

On that note: I should stop watching movies like 'V for Vendetta' - that kind of government machinations are only good for night mares and premonitions.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 10, 2019 at 06:18 AM. Reason: double post

This could be another discussion, but aside from this (his jokes and boutades, play dumb with a goal), which perhaps led him to win an election, is there any evidence of his alleged intelligence?
    No, there is no evidence. There is evidence that his opponents who question his intelligence are less intelligent than he is, though. They keep losing.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

In other words history repeats itself once more and everyone is OK with it because grandma was the only one that remembered how it worked out last time and she isn't around anymore (it certainly does vindicate my earlier, less then friendly statement about Americans and politics): identify the most common base level of your electorate, appeal to it and exploit it and then use the result for personal aggrandizement to the detriment of others.

I respectfully disagree.
    The USA entering the 2020s are nothing like Germany in the 1930s or Italy in the 20s. As far as the electorate is concerned, Germany back then had its back broken, USA is the most powerful country in the world. Furthermore for good or for ill, the ideals of the past are dead or dying. Ideals like "racial purity" are held by a fringe group of the USA electorate, not a sizeable number.
    For all the rhetoric and bile Trump has unleashed on the Media, the media are still completely free. Fox supports Trump because they choose to, not because Trump has a chokehold on them. The other main media outlets are not shying to attack him. One could even say that CNN at least is biased against him.

Trump may have put up many conservative judges in districts and a couple in the Supreme Court, but the majority of these people have been vetted already to reach the federal level. Most of Trump's appointments in the courts are conservatives and slightly-pro-Trump, they are not Trump's stooges. While these appointments are indeed damaging to the Justice system, the damage is not great nor permanent. Trump simply cannot find a large number of yesmen among the judges.
    Yes, the Republicans are ensuing conservative majorities for the years to come in the justiciar branch. But they don't put up conservative idiots and empty suits, they are putting up well-educated, respectable, critically thinking, intelligent people that happen to agree with the views of the republicans constituents.
    A few of these are crooked but I cannot find evidence more of them are crooked than usual.

Furthermore, Franco, Hitler, Mussolini, Pinochet, etc etc were real nationalists that were ready to fight for their country and their beliefs.
    Trump is a populist that evaded the draft and is looking to see what would resonate with his clients chosen electorate so he could bask in their adoration. He is a showman.

And last but not least, if Putin hasn't managed to completely undermine Russia's democratic institutions (taking Russia from the mess of the 90s and with far fewer checks on the boss' power) in 20+ years, if it took Erdogan 15 years to severely undermine democracy in Turkey... I don't believe Trump has any chance to do so in USA in just 8 years. The turn to Authoritarianism is much much slower for USA as it is a huge, decentralized country with many checks and balances.

Trump has not the mental capacity or the patience or the 30 years required to crown himself emperor of USA.
    Trump wants adoration and tries to get it by insulting people his audience dislikes.

Trump is not a wannabe Hitler\Franco\Pinochet and the system in place won't allow him to become a new Putin or Xi in the years he has left. Trump is, in short, a clown, not a man with a well structured plan against democracy.
    And it is OK to laugh at the jokes of a clown.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 10, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

While I could still accept the first part as a 'win at all cost' drive (not the method, mind you, just the principle) there are too many indications for me that the latter part will not end well for many, including Americans. A narcissist does not rest on achievements, he needs constant reaffirmation. Which means new, Donald created disasters that Donald then fixes (more often not) to claim himself as the savior.

On that note: I should stop watching movies like 'V for Vendetta' - that kind of government machinations are only good for night mares and premonitions.
    Not really. Trump's victory was a huge defeat to Democratic party and career politicians in general. And they have only themselves to blame, because they pushed away people in the middle in favour of the polarization and entrenchment of the established voters. Like I said, Trump used this estrangement to reel in some of the passive crowd.
    Now the Democrats are in deep trouble, because they still try to respond with the same kind of people-political animal Biden, Fauxcahontas Warren, Thunberg style green activist AOC and similar. This way, it'll be even worse than 2016 for them, and those passive voices that Trump reeled in will become entrenched in the Republican crowd.
    I think there are three ways this could theoretically go.
    First, Dems pull a rabbit out of the hat. A candidate capable of engaging Trump in prolonged debate while appealing to the moderate and passive crowd. Throw the primaries the same way they did with Hillary to make sure that this new face-and it has to be a new face, engaging and criticizing other Democratic candidates as well-wins and goes toe to toe with Trump.
    Second, go against the system. Break the two party arrangement. Use those media that are in their pocket to endorse third party candidates. Invite them into debates. Give them air time.
    These two possibilities are, to be honest, utopic. They're high cost, high risk solutions that break the established order, and no career politician wants to see that go. It keeps them in power.
    Most likely is that Democrats will all but concede defeat and weather four more years of Trump. To a majority of high ranking Democrats, those with ties to big industry. Trump is a blessing in disguise. His policies are actively promoting big corporations, and will inevitably come at the expense of the lower income population. Token repeals of such policies during an inevitable post-Trump hangover will allow them to score easy points.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

So many justifications, let's see if I understood. What needs to be done every time this person releases an outburst (In ths case insults) is to praise his wit and sense of humor, showing indignation is counterproductive because that is what he wants, for some perfectly fine reason. On a side note, do you know his reasons to act as an arrogant pathetic idiot, as he acts now, the years before he entered politics?
    Congratulating him (sarcastically, probably) on his great sense of humour would certainly be better than this constant triggering and disproportionate outraging about his WORDS (his actions would be a different matter, though even here it's weird that people endulge the very similar politics with people who're supposed to be the opposition). Nevermind the fact that this attention to his WORDS is exactly what he wants. No one reading/hearing them have any doubt that they're the verbal equivalent to posts, and many of the professional outragers do it to promote themselves, rather than to oppose Trump in an effective manner.

And if there's one thing this fake "left" has achieved, it's that no one really cares about their outrage when it's actually relevant and justified anymore. Because if they get outraged all the time, what's the difference?!

Trump did some deliberately poorly phrased words when the scandal about Trump University was threatening his chances for election in 2015/16. Thanks to his trolling, that real scandal became a sidenote. That's just one of the early examples of the same shtick he's been pulling again and again. And MSM help him with it because it helps them gain more clicks.

Boris Johnson btw. is famous for doing a very similar thing. Congratulations also here for people falling for this. Oh, I'm sorry. Hope I wasn't spoiling the "surprise". Should've waited until the 13th with this, amirite?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; December 12, 2019 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Censor bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Trump is a prototypical narcissist. A smart opportunist, white supremacist- that means, racist. Anti-Semitism is a form of racism. Trump loves the state of Israel, not necessarily the Jews. He also loves Saudi Arabia, not the Muslims. Above all, Trump is a ter, in the language of the philosopher Harry Frankfurt, Wikipedia, Quinta Jurecic is the Managing Editor of Lawfare. Enjoy,On B...and the Oath of Office: The “LOL Nothing Matters ...
    Edit, excerpt,
    I have a modest suggestion: As long as Donald Trump is President of the United States, On should be assigned reading in every class in American civics or government at both the high school and college level.
    Frankfurt’s essay is relevant not because Donald Trump is a liar, though he does appear to be one.

It’s important to our present moment because of the distinction the essay draws between lying, an act undertaken intentionally to obscure the truth and which therefore must be performed with a knowledge of the facts, and ting, an act undertaken without any relationship to truth whatsoever. When Frankfurt took aim at the role of in modern culture, I imagine he did not remotely foresee that he was telling the story of the 2016 presidential campaign of a major party nominee, much less that he might be telling the story of a presidency. But if you want to learn something about Donald Trump without ever reading the man’s name, On is a good place to start.

...This is the freedom of . The liar has to know things in order to falsely present facts that are the opposite of the truth. The ter doesn’t need to know the truth, or even think that he or she knows the truth.
    According to Frankfurt, this is also why is more dangerous than lying: the liar operates within the framework of truth and falsehood and therefore accepts the possibility that “there are indeed facts that are in some way determinable or knowable,” as Frankfurt writes. But glibly rejects the value and even existence of knowable facts. is faithless, because it denies the existence of anything constant in which to have faith.
    Does any of this sound familiar?
    When I call Trump a ter, in other words, I don’t mean it as invective but rather as a technical, philosophical description of our next president’s relationship with the concept of truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    ...and by how efficiently the Democrat nominee, either Joe Biden or Elisabeth ''Pocahontas'' Warren is able to convince the electorate that she intends to take as radical reforms as Obama claimed in 2008.
    Abdül, Warren is falling in the polls. It's Biden vs Sanders.
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 10, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

The only one using the word intelligence in this thread is you and me - and I am only responding to your claim of it, so where does the 'alleged intelligence' insistence come from?
    It would be intelligence to show yourself as a jester or a idiot to achieve your goals, thats why I have mentioned intelligence.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Speaking of Sanders... What's the nickname Trump has for Sanders? I don't remember it.
    "Crazy Bernie".List of nicknames used by Donald Trump - Wikipedia
    It's a long list. Trump's low character always made him unfit to be President.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    "Crazy Bernie".List of nicknames used by Donald Trump - Wikipedia
    It's a long list. Trump's low character always made him unfit to be President.
    Yeah, already found the list. To be sincere some of the nicknames he has for himself are among the funniest as I mentioned before:
    - Chosen one (Lost popular vote)
    - King of Debt (fitting, since USA's debt is ballooning)

"Bush Original" and "Al Frankenstein" are also good ones.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 10, 2019 at 03:32 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Intelligence would suggest some smart moves or tactical brilliancy. Trump's tactics works because his opponents are just as greedy, corrupt & clickbaity as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

I interpreted that you said that he was not stupid, but that he did not care to make a fool of himself in order to get attention or get his message or get closer to the general public (or in order to earn more money, as I think Flinn now says).

I just saw some more old videos of him doing the jerk. I repeat that it is very difficult for me to believe that any type of ambition can lead a person to behave in such a ridiculous way continuously. He doesn't play any role, he's that idiot. This could be another discussion, but aside from this (his jokes and boutades, play dumb with a goal), which perhaps led him to win an election, is there any evidence of his alleged intelligence?
    I always can't help but laugh at the notion that a real estate tycoon who achieved the most powerful political office in the world is "idiot" because his views and actions don't align with "woke" leftists (whose only accomplishments are whining on social media and ruining culture).
    Even funnier is that Trump hasn't started any major wars and economy is doing great, which alone makes his administration the most competent one that America had in decades.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    a real estate tycoon who achieved the most powerful political office in the world
    To be honest, thanks to a group of very smart people in the late 18th century, the PotUS is by far not the most powerful political office in the world. USA is the richest country with the most powerful army, but the PotUS has few powers compared to other leaders in different countries. He can't even dissolve the parliament and call for elections.

Citizen

Franco, Hitler, Mussolini, Pinochet, etc etc were real nationalists that were ready to fight for their country and their beliefs.
    With all due respect, I know you don't mean it, but your comments came dangerously close to the apology of fascist/nazi regimes.

I don't believe Trump has any chance to do so in USA in just 8 years. The turn to Authoritarianism is much much slower for USA as it is a huge, decentralized country with many checks and balances.
    Yes, the US still has a system of checks and balances. If citizens /institutions use them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    If you pretended to be black and your career profited from it
    Check your "facts",
    Elizabeth Warren's 'Pocahontas' Controversy - FactCheck.org
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 11, 2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Praeses

Trump's MO: say something offensive. If no one reacts he lowered the tone and got away with it, so at least he normalised crass behaviour. If his opponents complain he mocks them and acts like he scored a real point, if they mock him back he cries like a baby.

The real test is "did his number sgo up or down?" One day he will bang on about the Bible or hint that he's preparing for the End Times. The Evangelicals can pretend he's not one of Epstein's clients. Next he'll savagely insult women or spray racial slurs, and the paedo-nazi-channers will froth about the God Emperor. Then he'll pass a tax cut so his owners know he's a good dog and he can pretend he's like Bill Clinton, a dirty scum who looks after Wall Street.

Trump's a TV celebrity who trolls for votes. He may not believe anything. He says a lot of things he most likely does not understand. He makes noises until you react. Turn him off and he will go away.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat