Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: President Trump's funny insults

Default Re: President Trump's funny insults

Chaplin's speech as it relates to Trump...that makes me smile. Who else agrees with me?
    Trump isn't Hitler.

Trump is a reality show american celebrity, playboy Billionaire made President. He is a Citizen Kane at best.

I dont like Trump, but this hysteria around him fueled by his political opposition is ridiculous. It does more harm then good, it stops being a serious discussion when such polarizing analogies are thrown around.

In a certain way it only makes him stronger as well. Democrat party has been lost since 2016 in my opinion.

To claim Trump is anti-establishment or pro-common man is dubious on its face, and I haven’t seen compelling data to support that claim.
    Regardless that is how he was presented himself at the 2016 election. That is the point.

The "drain the swamp" speeches, seemed pretty evident of a anti-establishment sentiment in my opinion.

Another big factor which is often overlooked, but i do think is probably the biggest influential of them all, was his anti war, and anti foreign interventionism stance. I do think this in the US is a big deal.
    As well the promise to bring back more jobs related to american industry, that has been in decline since globalization, that have been displacing a lot of american industry overseas.

This factors seem often overlooked as influential to the swaying vote in the 2016 election.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 12, 2019 at 09:00 PM.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    I dont like Trump, but this hysteria around him fueled by his political opposition is ridiculous. It does more harm then good, it stops being a serious discussion when such polarizing analogies are thrown around.

In a certain way it only makes him stronger as well. Democrat party has been lost since 2016 in my opinion.
    I agree. The democrats seem more focused to why they dislike Trump than realize why they lost to such a divisive candidate in the first place. And that leads them to fall into traps. They may win this time around but even then, they would have not learned their lesson and 4 years down the road another Trump will come around.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    What does any of that have to do with Trump being anti-establishment or pro-common man? Trump didn’t have the support of the majority of the voters to begin with, and has struggled to crack 50% approval, while actually having net disapproval, throughout his presidency. These and the previous presented are basic facts which contradict your claim. For someone who has couched his argument in parsing pro or anti-establishment trends from the “two party dichotomy,” you sure talk alot about Democrats, and haven’t presented any data to back up your opinion.

As for Democrats “pandering to their echo chamber,” core issues in the party platform, including increased taxes on the wealthy, Medicare for All via a public option, raising the minimum wage, and prioritizing government action to protect the environment, are supported by the majority of Americans. Here again, the facts don’t line up with your assertions, and simply asserting that “people don’t care about facts” doesn’t absolve you of them.
    You're still not getting it.

There's a big difference between answering a poll on the street and actually lifting your butt from the couch and going to vote. The trend in modern democracies is disillusionment and feeling of powerlessness. Too many people think that their one vote among millions has no power or they feel that politicians won't fulfill their promises anyway. That's visible on the gradually decreasing voter turnout in most countries, not just US. It went down slowly, but in the second world countries that didn't really have free elections until ~1989 (depending on country), you can see the drastic drop from early 1990's level. In US 2016 elections, it was just under 55%. From those, most are entrenched or biased voters, which is why most states are labeled either "red" or "blue"...
    But the 45% that does not vote gets ignored. However, they do have opinions and when asked, answer those polls. They might agree on those issues...but they don't trust Democrats to deliver, or don't vote for some other reason. They might not like Trump, but not enough to vote Democrats out of spite, maybe they don't like them either. When Democrats keep pandering those "core issues" the same way they did for last few decades, they don't really influence those. They speak to those real swing voters, who are now very few, and their entrenched crowd, who will vote for them anyway. But they do not in a meaningful way address the reason why those 45% don't vote.
    Trump found the way to reach a small portion of those, because he put on a show that plays on reasons why they don't vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    You're still not getting it.

There's a big difference between answering a poll on the street and actually lifting your butt from the couch and going to vote. The trend in modern democracies is disillusionment and feeling of powerlessness. Too many people think that their one vote among millions has no power or they feel that politicians won't fulfill their promises anyway. That's visible on the gradually decreasing voter turnout in most countries, not just US. It went down slowly, but in the second world countries that didn't really have free elections until ~1989 (depending on country), you can see the drastic drop from early 1990's level. In US 2016 elections, it was just under 55%. From those, most are entrenched or biased voters, which is why most states are labeled either "red" or "blue"...
    But the 45% that does not vote gets ignored. However, they do have opinions and when asked, answer those polls. They might agree on those issues...but they don't trust Democrats to deliver, or don't vote for some other reason. They might not like Trump, but not enough to vote Democrats out of spite, maybe they don't like them either. When Democrats keep pandering those "core issues" the same way they did for last few decades, they don't really influence those. They speak to those real swing voters, who are now very few, and their entrenched crowd, who will vote for them anyway. But they do not in a meaningful way address the reason why those 45% don't vote.
    Trump found the way to reach a small portion of those, because he put on a show that plays on reasons why they don't vote.
    So far you haven’t presented any evidence for your assertion that Trump is anti-establishment or pro-common man, and you’ve repeated your assertion about “Democrat pandering” with no discernible evidence there either. While there’s an argument Clinton lost because of lower turnout among registered Democrats compared to Obama, your suggestion that Trump or his messaging lowered voter turnout among Democrats is uncited, and also contradicts your earlier claim that Trump is some kind of everyman hero. Voters who didn’t identify with either party leaned Clinton, and had eligible non-voters voted according to party affiliation, Clinton would have won. Here again, the facts don’t line up with your narrative.

The one group where Trump was able to drive increased voter turnout in his favor, or at least garner more votes than was anticipated, was among whites without a college degree. Based on the data we have, their motivations had little to do with anti-establishment fervor or protest voting. (1 2 3)
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; December 13, 2019 at 05:14 AM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Trump isn't Hitler.
    No, but why don't you smile now? isn't funny?
    Trump defends the opposite of what Chaplin said. I wonder, if he was alive today, if he'd do that again,parodying Trump, and getting banned again for no reason,and kept under surveillance for more than 50 years- until his death- as it happened...
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    A real estate mogul that tells an audience full of black people in real estate: "Some of you are brutal killers, I don't like some of you" (which is the exact equivalent of what Trump said) is not racist and is mind-blogging to me that someone would consider "insulting a person that happens to be Jew" as anti-Semitic. ESPECIALLY since Trump was clearly well received in that talk by his audience.
    I mean, I would take the applauds of Israelis and Jews in the audience over a poster's opinion on whether Trump's joke was anti-Semitic and racist.
    That's debatable,alhoon. Let's take a closer look at the new executive order.Just two days ago, Trump's expected executive order on campus anti-Semitism Washington Post...
    Left-leaning Jewish organizations were quick to criticize Trump's move
    Obviously...
    The New Yorker hit the nail on the head, The Real Purpose of Trump's Executive Order on Anti-Semitism
    Excerpt,
    What the order itself did not make explicit, the President’s son-in-law did: on Wednesday, Jared Kushner published an Op-Ed in the Times in which he stressed that the definition of anti-Semitism used in the executive order “makes clear what our administration has stated publicly on the record: Anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism.”

Both Kushner and the executive order refer to the definition of anti-Semitism that was formulated, in 2016, by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance; it has since been adopted by the State Department. The definition supplies examples of anti-Semitism, and Kushner cited the most problematic of these as the most important: “the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity”; denial to “the Jewish people their right to self-determination, e.g. by claiming that the existence of a state of Israel is a racist endeavor”; and comparing “contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.”
    All three examples perform the same sleight of hand: they reframe opposition to or criticism of Israeli policies as opposition to the state of Israel. And that, says Kushner, is anti-Semitism.
    To be sure, some people who are critical of Israeli policies are opposed to the existence of the state of Israel itself. And some of those people are also anti-Semites. I am intimately familiar with this brand of anti-Semitism, because I grew up in the Soviet Union, where anti-Zionist rhetoric served as the propaganda backbone of state anti-Semitism.

The word “Zionist,” when deployed by Pravda, served as incitement to violence and discrimination against Soviet Jews. All of this can be true at the same time that it is also true that Israel has effectively created an apartheid state, in which some Palestinians have some political rights and the rest have none. Human-rights organizations such as Breaking the Silence and B’Tselem—Israeli groups, founded and run by Jews—continue to document harrowing abuse of Palestinians in Israel, the occupied West Bank, and Gaza.

One does not have to be an anti-Semite to be an anti-Zionist, but one certainly can be both an anti-Semite and an anti-Zionist. Trump, however, has inverted this formula by positioning himself as a pro-Zionist anti-Semite. He has proclaimed his support often for the state of Israel. His Administration’s policies, which have included moving the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem and, more recently, declaring that the U.S. does not view Israeli settlements in the West Bank as illegal, have pleased the state of Israel, especially its most militantly expansionist citizens.

Over the weekend, however, at the Israeli American Council National Summit, in Florida, Trump gave a speech that brimmed with Jewish stereotypes: Jews and greed, Jews and money, Jews as ruthless wheeler-dealers.
    “You’re brutal killers, not nice people at all,” he said.

It was the kind of stuff that requires no definitions, op-eds, or explanations—it was plain, easily recognizable anti-Semitism. And it was not the first time that Trump trafficked in anti-Semitic stereotypes. The world view behind these stereotypes, combined with support for Israel, is also recognizable. To Trump, Jews—including American Jews, some of whom vote for him—are alien beings whom he associates with the state of Israel.(1) He finds these alien beings at once distasteful and worthy of a sort of admiration, perhaps because he ascribes to them many of the features that he also recognizes in himself.

It should come as no surprise that anti-Semitic incidents in the U.S. increased by sixty per cent during the first year of Trump’s Presidency.

The new executive order will not protect anyone against anti-Semitism, and it’s not intended to. Its sole aim is to quash the defense—and even the discussion—of Palestinian rights. Its victim will be free speech.
    (1) I have been saying this for a long time. A few months ago, Trump called Netanyahu "your prime minister" during an address to the Republican Jewish Coalition: "I stood with your prime minister at the White House to recognize Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights."
    For Trump, the state of Israel is a traditional ally; the Jews are an alien people.
    Last edited by Ludicus; December 13, 2019 at 07:38 AM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

No, but why don't you smile now? isn't funny?
    Trump defends the opposite of what Chaplin said. I wonder, if he was alive today, if he'd do that again,parodying Trump, and getting banned again for no reason,and kept under surveillance for more than 50 years- until his death- as it happened...
    Come now, trump must be one of the most mocked, and parody-ed politician in recent history, understandably so of course. It has made lots of comedians increasingly successful and popular. Colbert is one of them. None of them have been banned or censored in any way. Everyone have been laughing at Trump expenses for years, including me. I dont get what is the issue. Are other politicians immune to parody, and satire, and mocking, because they oppose Trump politically? i think not. What is funny, is funny. And that is all there is.

Does trump defends the opposite of what Chaplin said? That is quite the polarized exaggerated view. Specially when when we know the context of the great dictator. You cant project the worst of humanity on someone just because you dont like him, or the things he says. When there isn't real substance to validate such claims. It isn't a lucid understanding of this, in my opinion.
    I mean in a different decade, Trump would be a Democrat politician.

For Trump, the state of Israel is a traditional ally; the Jews are an alien people.
    Israel, have been an ally for every American administration since for ever, how is Trump special in this? He seems to follow the usual American foreign policy, that every American President has followed.
    I dont know if he thinks Jews are alien people. If so didn't he allowed his Daughter to marry one?

The truth is that he is a farce, and some people think he is the coming of the beast on earth. But its just a farce.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; December 13, 2019 at 01:46 PM.

So far you haven’t presented any evidence for your assertion that Trump is anti-establishment or pro-common man, and you’ve repeated your assertion about “Democrat pandering” with no discernible evidence there either. While there’s an argument Clinton lost because of lower turnout among registered Democrats compared to Obama, your suggestion that Trump or his messaging lowered voter turnout among Democrats is uncited, and also contradicts your earlier claim that Trump is some kind of everyman hero. Voters who didn’t identify with either party leaned Clinton, and had eligible non-voters voted according to party affiliation, Clinton would have won. Here again, the facts don’t line up with your narrative.

The one group where Trump was able to drive increased voter turnout in his favor, or at least garner more votes than was anticipated, was among whites without a college degree. Based on the data we have, their motivations had little to do with anti-establishment fervor or protest voting. (1 2 3)
    And still not getting it. I feel like I'm repeating myself because you're refusing to see parts of my posts.

It's not about the facts, his actual actions as POTUS. It's about appearances. He puts on a show pandering to specific feelings, especially among those that don't usually vote due to disillusionment. Biggest of those is the anti-establishment show. Your own sources about his voter base show it.
    I never wrote that he lowered voter turnout among Democrats. Go ahead, find me the quote. But I dare to say that Democrats did that to themselves. Hillary was definitely a bad choice to put up against Trump.

And still not getting it. I feel like I'm repeating myself because you're refusing to see parts of my posts.
    It's not about the facts, his actual actions as POTUS. It's about appearances. He puts on a show pandering to specific feelings, especially among those that don't usually vote due to disillusionment.
    Biggest of those is the anti-establishment show. Your own sources about his voter base show it.
    Where?
    I never wrote that he lowered voter turnout among Democrats. Go ahead, find me the quote. But I dare to say that Democrats did that to themselves. Hillary was definitely a bad choice to put up against Trump.
    You’ll forgive me for missing your point, if you have one. So far you’ve said alot of counterfactual, vaguely contradictory things that don’t really relate to one another. Simply insisting that feelings matter, not facts, is not demonstrative of your claim that Trump is anti-establishment/pro-common man.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; December 13, 2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Where?
    Here. A part of his show hit the spot among this crowd. Here is a mistake of attributing them singular, too simple motivations. The resentment to establishment is there, and it's easily kindled by linking the current establishment with immigration-which has a grain of truth in it, and it's something that Trump exploited to the fullest.

You’ll forgive me for missing your point, if you have one. So far you’ve said alot of counterfactual, occasionally contradictory things that don’t really relate to one another. Simply insisting that feelings matter, not facts, is not demonstrative of your claim that Trump is anti-establishment/pro-common man.
    Really, if facts mattered much in US politics, Trump wouldn't have made it. Go listen to his speeches a bit. He's good at playing emotions, but factually claiming utter crap. And he's getting away with it, that much is undeniable from his success.
    I never claimed he IS anti-establishment or hero of common man. I claim he puts up a show that he is, and he's good at it so it works to convince at least some of the passive non-voters.

Moderator Emeritus

Where?

You’ll forgive me for missing your point, if you have one. So far you’ve said alot of counterfactual, vaguely contradictory things that don’t really relate to one another. Simply insisting that feelings matter, not facts, is not demonstrative of your claim that Trump is anti-establishment/pro-common man.
    I think he's trying to say that it doesn't matter that Trump is corrupt and pro-establishment that doesn't give a crap about the common man.

What it matters is that he convinced hundreds of thousands of people that he is anti-establishment. He tricked hundreds of thousands of people that despite being a billionaire, he's anti-establishment.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Here. A part of his show hit the spot among this crowd. Here is a mistake of attributing them singular, too simple motivations. The resentment to establishment is there, and it's easily kindled by linking the current establishment with immigration-which has a grain of truth in it, and it's something that Trump exploited to the fullest.
    If you’re suggesting that because the political establishment generally frowns upon white identity politics, Trump’s willingness to “go there” has an “anti-establishment” ability to stoke the fears and resentments among his base posed by immigrants, then fine....I guess.
    Really, if facts mattered much in US politics, Trump wouldn't have made it. Go listen to his speeches a bit. He's good at playing emotions, but factually claiming utter crap. And he's getting away with it, that much is undeniable from his success.
    I never claimed he IS anti-establishment or hero of common man. I claim he puts up a show that he is, and he's good at it so it works to convince at least some of the passive non-voters.
    Trump motivated a specific cross-section of voters for specific reasons as indicated in the studies I presented. If you agree with the findings of those studies that Trump voters were statistically motivated by fear of loss of white majority status due to immigration, you could have stated your position plainly from the beginning. The “anti-establishment” component there is necessarily part of the left-right, Dem-GOP dichotomy. The Democratic Party hasn’t had ideological space for “white in-group bias” for decades now.
    I think he's trying to say that it doesn't matter that Trump is corrupt and pro-establishment that doesn't give a crap about the common man.

What it matters is that he convinced hundreds of thousands of people that he is anti-establishment. He tricked hundreds of thousands of people that despite being a billionaire, he's anti-establishment.
    I’m not sure I agree with the idea Trump “tricked” anyone. He’s been up front with his easily debunked lies and corruption from the very beginning. Trump openly boasts about his belief that the Constitution allows him to do “whatever he wants.” His supporters and Republicans in Congress merely enable him every step of the way from day one. As for an idea of why, you can refer back to those studies I referenced above.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; December 13, 2019 at 04:15 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Trump works the tone, fluency, stress, the emotion behind the speech and is able to deliver absolute crap with utter conviction.
    He certainly does so repeatedly and continuously and is not unique in that aspect, after all it is a requirement for politicians and salesmen. But 15K times by now since taking office? The disturbing thing about it is not him but the apparent unquestioning acceptance of it by his followers which in turn reaffirms Donald. Gotta love a feedback loop.

Or maybe, just maybe, neoliberal elites deserve being de-humanized and made fun of, and people who do that aren't really that bad for doing that.

Blog Entries

Yup, people deserve to be de-humanized if they disagree with Donald. Give the man the award for wittiest contribution to this thread. All in the spirit to excuse even the most depraved uttering of the beloved leader, of course, well done.

de-humanize - to deprive (someone or something) of human qualities, personality, or dignity
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 14, 2019 at 10:29 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

You are both right and wrong.

Neoliberal elites need to be made fun of.
    Trump is, of course, a neoliberal just like most of the spectrum of the USA politicians. And since he's a billionaire that heavily promotes deregulation he is one of the traditional neoliberal elites.
    Sanders, Warren and the lefties are ... leftwings, pro-Union and pro-central government. They should also be mocked of course.

Many neoliberal politicians (i.e. Obama) were not bad. The Neoliberal elites (Trump, Hillary, etc) that are too aggressive in deregulations (Trump) or were promoting corpocracy laws and trade deals (Hillary, Obama, and more) are wrong (yes, I know I put Obama in both camps - in general I agree with him, but not on the trade deals he promoted).

And then, we go to the appalling and if I may, disconcerting, views presented by a few people in this thread that whatever "the other side" says should be criticized and attacked.
    We have posters here that more or less claim that democrat politicians should be treated as subhumans and we have posters that claim that we shouldn't be praising the few things Trump does well (i.e. funny jokes).

As Gig said, excusing some of the smelly crap Trump does (muslim ban, horrible treatment of illegal immigrant families) or says (the "grab her by the #####" thing, or mocking a gold star family and more) and idolizing him is very dangerous.

Trump said he could walk in the street and shoot somebody.
    40% of the USA voters agree with him.

Oh and where Gig was wrong: Dehumanizing the (other) neoliberals (Trump is a neoliberal) is bad. However, Making fun of them is not bad and many of them deserve it. And people that making fun of them are not bad for doing that.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 15, 2019 at 01:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Oh and where Gig was wrong: Dehumanizing the (other) neoliberals (Trump is a neoliberal) is bad. However, Making fun of them is not bad and many of them deserve it.
    And here I thought I said pretty clearly that de-humanizing is wrong but apparently not (maybe I should have used a sarcasm smiley or something like that to rule out misunderstanding? /sarcasm): "Oh and where Gig was wrong: Dehumanizing the (other) neoliberals (Trump is a neoliberal) is bad."

And if memory recalls nowhere in this thread am I saying that making fun is wrong (or right for that matter, I just don't mention it): "However, Making fun of them is not bad and many of them deserve it."

You have to run that train of thoughts behind the 'he is wrong' conclusion by me one of these days.
    It's like saying I am wrong, I should have talked about green apples (after having done just that exclusively) however you like yellow bananas.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 15, 2019 at 04:06 AM.

Genava's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    You have managed to write three paragraphs and not mentioning even once the word "jew". Congrats.

the standards are so low...
    His message had a dose of antisemitic clichés, but I don't think he is antisemitic. I don't think there is anything grounded in ideologies about this issue in his mind.

Personally I have the feeling that the issue with Trump is mostly his oversized ego and his little mind in general.

If you analyze every Trump polemical sentences from this point of view, using this as a framework to interpret his message in general, it makes more sense than interpreting it from an ideological agenda.

Ideologizing his message is actually crystallizing the divide between electors/voters because of their own position in regards of the ideologies.
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    And here I thought I said pretty clearly that de-humanizing is wrong but apparently not (maybe I should have used a sarcasm smiley or something like that to rule out misunderstanding? /sarcasm): "Oh and where Gig was wrong: Dehumanizing the (other) neoliberals (Trump is a neoliberal) is bad."

And if memory recalls nowhere in this thread am I saying that making fun is wrong (or right for that matter, I just don't mention it): "However, Making fun of them is not bad and many of them deserve it."
    I am the one that didn't express himself well apparently.

I figured you said dehumanizing them is wrong. But I thought you disagreed with the whole thing of what HH said, I.e. I thought you also disagreed that making fun of politicians is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Yup, people deserve to be de-humanized if they disagree with Donald. Give the man the award for wittiest contribution to this thread. All in the spirit to excuse even the most depraved uttering of the beloved leader, of course, well done.

de-humanize - to deprive (someone or something) of human qualities, personality, or dignity

Do you hear this? This is world's smallest violin playing for neoliberal elites, that were "deprived of their dignity" for such innocent things as undermining their own populations and promoting wars. Let's be honest here - neoliberal elites dehumanized themselves already by the virtue of their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    neoliberal elites dehumanized themselves already by the virtue of their actions.
    The "my enemies deserve it" line. Very original, no one has ever used that justification to do horrific things before.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.