Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

  1. #1
    Miles
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    336

    Default How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    I saw that CA is ending support for the old TW Launcher, and this is going to severely affect any mods that edit start positions. I'm not familiar with modding in TW, is this going to affect DEI and if so will it be significant?

  2. #2
    Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Sweden
    Posts
    4,260

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Athos187 is saying the same thing as you are, so I asked him if he could post more information about this.

    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15856434
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.


  3. #3
    Demosthenes26's Avatar Foederatus
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Have they still not fixed the load order issue either? I went back to the old launcher as soon as that issue became apparent, but this is the first I've heard about custom startpos being impossible going forward - that's a huge deal.

  4. #4

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    In the new launcher you can compile a startpos with Rome 2 (although it seems to hang/stop but it does work...sometimes). In Attila you can't. It is a problem, though, for mods making new startpos files for sure. Hopefully they address that problem going forward.

    For submods it will be a huge issue. For many people the load order doesn't work in the new launcher, so they have to use the old one for many submods to operate properly. This will effectively kill that workaround.

    ----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

  5. #5

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    It seems they listened and are at least postponing the removal https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...42u/?context=3

    ----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

  6. #6

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Just started using my own user.scipt.txt file.

  7. #7
    Beedo83's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Seems their more recent games aren't very modable anyway which is probably why this is happening. They shouldn't be affecting their older games in this way but because everything 'has' to be on the same launcher which I'm sure has everything to do with increasing sales of all their products, everyone gets screwed over as the major reason their older games are still alive is because of mods!

  8. #8
    Daruwind's Avatar Moderator
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Actually no. Every game is somehow similar yet different. Newer games like Wh2 are actually more moddable then R2 and this problem is related to Assembly Kit. Basically manual modding is not influenced at all. I donīt watch 3K modding as Wh2 but Iīm pretty sure it is quite a lot things that were lately added via advanced scripting and AS is as well more open for modding. But if under modding we are talking about moddable campaign map and nothing else then yes,it is still restricted...

  9. #9
    Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Sweden
    Posts
    4,260

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Post split from this thread and merged here.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.


  10. #10
    Beedo83's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Actually no. Every game is somehow similar yet different. Newer games like Wh2 are actually more moddable then R2 and this problem is related to Assembly Kit. Basically manual modding is not influenced at all. I donīt watch 3K modding as Wh2 but Iīm pretty sure it is quite a lot things that were lately added via advanced scripting and AS is as well more open for modding. But if under modding we are talking about moddable campaign map and nothing else then yes,it is still restricted...
    I was referring specifically to larger overhaul mods such as those available for titles pre-Warhammer series. How do you mean that WH2 is more moddable? I haven't touched it in over a year but last I saw aside from making battle maps and adding units/stat changes, not much else could be changed. If they are making their games more flexible for modders then I am very mistaken as I genuinely thought that overhaul mods were starting to dwindle with the newer Total War titles.

  11. #11
    Daruwind's Avatar Moderator
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beedo83 View Post
    I was referring specifically to larger overhaul mods such as those available for titles pre-Warhammer series. How do you mean that WH2 is more moddable? I haven't touched it in over a year but last I saw aside from making battle maps and adding units/stat changes, not much else could be changed. If they are making their games more flexible for modders then I am very mistaken as I genuinely thought that overhaul mods were starting to dwindle with the newer Total War titles.
    Wh(s) Assembly Kits for example allows you to do more stuff than older R2/Attila AS. For example we can set any number of building slots in cities and build new startpos that way.

    CA is pretty active on C&C discord for example, even some feedback made it into Wh2 especially for scripters. I can list dozens example just latest one is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...42&searchtext=

    I donīt care about big overhaul mods as those are not my cup of tea but iīm talking about mods adding new features and mechanics and improving game. But still you can go and look for yourself SFO mod for example that is overhaul even in your eyes probably. See question is, if we are talking about total overhaul like doing Tolkien on every game, there are multiple things that can be overhauled and improved even for Vanilla game. DeI, Ancient Empires, SFO - those happily use base campaign map.

  12. #12
    Beedo83's Avatar Civis
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    160

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    Wh(s) Assembly Kits for example allows you to do more stuff than older R2/Attila AS. For example we can set any number of building slots in cities and build new startpos that way.

    CA is pretty active on C&C discord for example, even some feedback made it into Wh2 especially for scripters. I can list dozens example just latest one is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...42&searchtext=

    I donīt care about big overhaul mods as those are not my cup of tea but iīm talking about mods adding new features and mechanics and improving game. But still you can go and look for yourself SFO mod for example that is overhaul even in your eyes probably. See question is, if we are talking about total overhaul like doing Tolkien on every game, there are multiple things that can be overhauled and improved even for Vanilla game. DeI, Ancient Empires, SFO - those happily use base campaign map.
    I see! Thank you, I really had no idea that CA was enabling these new things that really is great news. Appreciate you taking the time to clear that up

  13. #13

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    I would highly recommend this custom launcher for anyone. All the more so if CA is ending support for the current one. https://github.com/Kaedrin/warhammer-mod-manager

  14. #14

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    So I have to take back what I said earlier, the startpos processing bug seems to be affecting Rome 2 now as well with the new launcher.

    ----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

  15. #15
    Daruwind's Avatar Moderator
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Prague
    Posts
    2,307

    Default Re: How will the end of support for the current TW Launcher affect DEI?

    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...42u/?context=3

    CA noted problem and will wait with old launcher removal until it is fixed..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •