Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Regional Units

Icon5 Favorite Regional Units

I'm making this thread to ask the TWC EBII community about everyone's favorite regional (non-core, non-faction) units in the game. After securing your homeland, where do you like to send your armies for some juicy regional auxiliaries? Alternatively, you can talk about which regional units compliment which factions best.

For example, I always like adding far-away Iberian or Gallic swordsmen and shield-cavalry to my Hellenic pike armies, even though it's a long way from home. I'll usually try to Capture Syrakousai to use as a mid-way-point for transporting the troops with my navy. I've even abandoned Hellas entirely before and attempted to migrate Epeiros to the Western Mediterranean... it's much easier said than done.

What do you like to use?
    Last edited by Aleksander the Average; December 04, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
    . .

Default Re: Favorite Regional Units

I am a heavy Carthage player. I consider it my sacred duty to have tons of regionals in my armies.

Liguria, both units - although I don't like how some shields in those units are represented.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Cough, someone just went and copied these shields instead of researching what makes shields protective and durable, cough, cough, it's textile/leather covering, cough, cough.

Light Celtic cavalry

Illyrian skirmishers, cavalry and hoplites

The redone greek hoplites

The Belgian swordsmen - I hate seeing jet black hair, though. It's an ugly contrast to vividly colored clothes the warriors wear

Galathraikes - I have a small nitpick with that unit as well (yes, I am a pedantic monster)

Callaeci infantry - those bronze swords are just epic!

Remunerated spearmen

Umbro-Picenian warriors

Polybian Velites

Indo-Greek peltasts

Laconian hoplites

Promachoi - Southern Anatolian skirmishers

I am also looking forward to the redone Lusitanian and Celtiberian units, especially the late versions.

I haven't been able to incorporate the Belgians and the Indo-Greeks in my army yet, but there's still time!
    Last edited by Rad; December 08, 2019 at 06:32 AM.

Thracian AoR-Peltenai, Skaplinai, Raskumezenai. Available also as mercenaries in wider area. Zibutai are good cavalry for main army, but rare.
    If playing as hellenistic faction, Katoikoi Thraikes (scattered around hellenistic centers and west Anatolia) and Thureopherontes Toxotai (west cost of Black sea) are also wonderful.
    Leginu, available in northern Italy, are excellent skirmishers and light swordsmen. Perfect infantry to complement the Camillian troops.
    As Polybian and Marian units roll in, Nedes Nesamoi take over the spearmen role, available in wider Gaul area.
    Still as Rome, Iberia is the place for workhorse cavalry. Iberian medium cavalry and Celtiberian riders are great multipurpose cavalry.
    For the main armies, however, variants of Eporedoi Donnoi and Igallidan are most effective-if rare.
    Moving east. Cretan troops are very cost-effective way to form a core of a "regional" army or to reinforce the depleted main armies campaigning around Greece.
    Illyrian Thureophoroi, Hippeis and Sibinanai are usually core of another regional army in my games.
    Euzonoi and Uazali, common around Anatolia and Greece, are good fillers for their cost.
    Maiotian units are also excellent cost-effective solution.
    Promachoi don't need any comment.
    I don't really like the northern steppe units. They're hard to bring into combat due to distance and small recruitment.
    Oroneides are good swordsmen for their cost and availability.
    Khaldilae are good pikemen for eastern factions that lack such troops.
    From the east, Iranian archer-spearmen are good fillers.
    And finally...humble Sphendonetai. Dirt cheap, but in the long run I think they're most cost-effective troops in my games.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    humble Sphendonetai. Dirt cheap, but in the long run I think they're most cost-effective troops in my games.
    They're one of the few units I could afford to recruit in the early part of my Ptolemaic campaign (richest country in the game, yea right).
    It's scary how much they pay off.
    Last edited by Rad; December 04, 2019 at 02:13 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Is there honestly anything better looking than the armor upgraded Galatian noble cavalry and retainer spearmen? Or the Galatian colonist swordsmen for that matter.

You'll probably say "yes there is", but I don't care what you think. They're the best.

I love various regional units in the game, especially Noric Swordsmen, Etruscan Hoplites, Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai horse archers, Katoikoi Thraikes swordsmen, Lydian Lancers, Peltastai Logades, Ilergetan cavalry and spearmen, Volcae Celtic headhunter cavalry, and of course Kataphractoi heavy cavalry recruited at Damaskos and Edessa.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Is there honestly anything better looking than the armor upgraded Galatian noble cavalry and retainer spearmen? Or the Galatian colonist swordsmen for that matter.
    There are Epirotean Agema Phalangitai...

It's hard to have a favorite when there are soo many good units out there but from my campaigns I would say my favorites would be the Sphendonetai, like many have said, they are cheap, are available in many places and do a big difference in battles, when I can, I prefer to use the Baleare slingers because they can hold better in melee combat, but there aren't many available on the early campaign and you often have to ship them to other places while the Sphendonetai can be recruited in the actual war zones.

The I would say many of the Iberian units, the caetrati spearmen is really useful but I love using the scutarii, both swords and spear, when they become available. Now I'm going to have some more fun with the Celtiberian Mercenary unit which seems to give a good punch during battles

Playing as Hayastan, I love the Median Cavalry, they're first and foremost chargers but they can fare well in melee and they're very quick. All in all, they're a good complement to my Cataphract cavalry and bodyguards.

I also like the Cappadocian cavalry, they're not as good as the Medians but they're a good early to middle game unit that can fare well against most cavalry in the Kaukasos and even some of the Seleukid's cavalry but they get almost replaced by the Medians once Hayastan becomes an empire.

Other units I like are the Aursan HA who replace my Armenian HA in my armies in the mid game because they're better in everyway and the Kaukasian infantry AOR roster : North western caucasian infantry - Colchian spearmen - Kartvelian infantry, they're great infantry for Hayastan but they're limited and they can only be recruited in one region (the first one can also be recruited once you build the ancestral capital in Armavir).

Once you expand to the south and after the Thureos reforms and the Armenian reforms, your local manpower pool expands dramatically with Hoplites, Thureophoroi, Regalin and many other exciting units such as the Galatianised duo which are great for protecting your flanks.

Iranian archer-spearmen, both varieties. In my view the perfect auxiliary troop to augment both heavy hellenistic phalanxes and Parthian cavalry forces. Great skirmish potential, solid enough to scare off light cav, can trade effectively (though not always cost-effectively) with other skirmishers, reasonably cheap for all the things they can do, effective as light infantry (for flanking or adding raw bodies to a fight).

Love these units. I like my armies to have a small core of the heaviest possible infantry (phalanxes, hoplites) and heaviest possible cavalry (cataphracts, othe heavy shock cav) supported by a much larger body of multirole inf (thureophoroi, archer-spearmen, javelin tribals/hillmen) and multirole cav (melee-capable javelin cav, bow/spear horse archers). It's a combination that never lets me down and the archer-spearmen always acquit themselves very well on the field though they're rarely the stars of the show - exactly what I'm looking for in a good local auxiliary unit.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Im Georgian. my Favorite Is Georgian(Kartvelian Tribes) Warriors - Chaldian Phalanx, Colchian hoplites and Colchian Axemans, but Iberian warriors native name(kartvelni mehomni) and helmets with horns Is a mistake. in my new threard Is information about it

also, you can make light and medium version Georgian infantry, cavalry, chariots, skrimshers, archers and slingers... i can help you

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-and-pictures)
    Last edited by Khevsur; December 05, 2019 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khevsur View Post
    Im Georgian. my Favorite Is Georgian(Kartvelian Tribes) Warriors - Chaldian Phalanx, Colchian hoplites and Colchian Axemans, but Iberian warriors native name(kartvelni mehomni) and helmets with horns Is a mistake. in my new threard Is information about it

also, you can make light and medium version Georgian infantry, cavalry, chariots, skrimshers, archers and slingers... i can help you

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-and-pictures)
    The pikemen unit is cool.
    The hoplites are too damn dark - some goth guy must have made them
    The axemen are alright, although I take issue with some of their shields.
    Unlike the Ligurians and Samnites, Caucasus horned warriors look cartoonish. You're probably right in saying that they could be made without the horned helmets.

Although I understand your wish to make more Caucasus units, you must realise that the Caucasus is only a small area in the game. It can't have too many units because the rest of the map would get underrepresented.

Khevsur's Avatar Senator

Rad
    These warriors are Georgians (Of course Caucasians)
    Yes it is a mistake, i drew Historically real Kartlian warrior ( Caucasian Iberian Warrior ) - Meomarni Kartlisani

I hope Change horned helmet and Black-and-white striped pants, Add real shields and helmets.

This is. All of my uploaded material is real

Last edited by Khevsur; January 02, 2020 at 10:49 AM.

Those are very nice. I hope that the data that you provided reaches the modding team.

Thessalian cavalry. They just feel so good when you are a faction that maybe doesnt have still access to great shock cavalry and then you get this unit been able to compete with hellenistic elite. I also love numidian cavalry. I think they just do the light cavalry roll perfectly.

On infantry I would say the cretans. I always loved their unique looks and I find them very cost effective and they are just so versatile.

We will either find a way, or make one.

If you can get closer to the steppes, the Scythian archers and horse archers offer amazing value in terms of cost. There is a reason most players find it quite annoying to fight against them.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

You mean just prices (cheap HA in the steppes while more expensive / not available in the wooden areas) or more useful in the battle?
    Is, eg., protection from the woods and bushes so effective against arrows that it makes HA less cost-effective?

I honestly think the Bosporitai Logades are one of the most underrated regional units in the game. For starters, they are excellent elite heavy infantry swordsmen. They form a perfect compliment to Hellenistic heavy spear units like the Thorakitai, Pontikoi Hoplitai, regular Hoplitai and others. Also, they are among the few Greek units wearing chain mail armor like the Thorakitai and Kataphractoi. In fact I think they're pretty much the only ones! Although the Bosporan faction's version of Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai do wear chain mail, but not the same unit for other factions when you recruit them. Kind of an odd choice there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I honestly think the Bosporitai Logades are one of the most underrated regional units in the game. For starters, they are excellent elite heavy infantry swordsmen. They form a perfect compliment to Hellenistic heavy spear units like the Thorakitai, Pontikoi Hoplitai, regular Hoplitai and others. Also, they are among the few Greek units wearing chain mail armor like the Thorakitai and Kataphractoi. In fact I think they're pretty much the only ones! Although the Bosporan faction's version of Thureopherontes Hippotoxotai do wear chain mail, but not the same unit for other factions when you recruit them. Kind of an odd choice there.
    I admit that I'm a little biased against Bosporitai Logades, since in my Pontic campaign they were essentially late game, inferior replacement to the awesome Hyperaspistai.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I admit that I'm a little biased against Bosporitai Logades, since in my Pontic campaign they were essentially late game, inferior replacement to the awesome Hyperaspistai.
    Hyperaspistai are great and it sucks that you eventually lose them, but at the very least you get to keep the equally awesome Peltastai Logades after the Thorakitai reforms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast