Thread: Crasy ballistic range

Icon5 Crasy ballistic range

How is possible that muskeeters ( and general ) have more ballistic range than artillery??

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crasy ballistic range

The general was given lots of ammunition (really low damage) and a long range to stop him from suiciding - considering that every second unit is a pike man that would have otherwise been impossible.

Can't remember if the musketeers had much of an excessive range, but it's certainly more then usual. In vanilla they were pretty much ineffective as they hardly get more then 2 shots in before they get swamped by infantry.

It's done to get some kind of balance between the main forces at the time: pike, musket and ranged riders. I think Geoffrey wrote an excellent article about it - it should be in a sticky.

Edit: here you are.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 04, 2019 at 07:34 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Gig, any possibility to restore the pics to the Geoffrey's article?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Geoffrey is around afaik, but I seem to recall he had a hard drive crash. The pic was changed (overlayed) by photobucket when they went all paid up, nothing much we can do from our side.

Sorry I just saw this. The pics were in Photobucket but they were free of charge and now Photobucket demand a subscription for use of their image hosting service, so I would have to find another free host. I also lost a ton of stuff in a hard drive that crashed. I will keep it in mind though, in case I can find some solution.

The musket ranges and artillery ranges were a matter of distance of engagement which at that period was around 300 m. That meant that both artillery and muskets were designed to shoot up to 300 m in an approximately straight line, which was called the point-blank range. After that, the shot would hit the ground if you were aiming at your target, so you would have to lift the barrel and aim above the target. But for artillery this was not really possible, as they did not have a mechanism to change the angle of the barrel at that period.

What I said is not entirely correct, as some artillery actually had a shorter point-blank range and some had a longer range than 300 m. Ironically, it is a fact that some field artillery used in open battles (e.g. the falconet) had a point-blank range shorter than muskets and on a par with the point-blank range of the arquebus. Only some ship cannons (the culverin and demi-culverin) had a point-blank range longer than 300 m. In any case, we left the range of engagement for all artillery and muskets at 250 m to achieve a certain balance, as Gigantus said, and to avoid players using artillery to snipe at generals.

By the way, here is a youtube playlist of mine presenting the problem the AI has when the range of shot units is short, for example as in Vanilla or in Stainless Steel. The third video in this playlist demonstrates this well with the AI suffering a crashing defeat in under 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du3j...M&index=2&t=0s
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; December 09, 2019 at 06:02 PM.