Thread: Installation Problem and Question

Default Installation Problem and Question

I am having some trouble getting started with RTH, and I need some help.

1. After booting up, I select "Single Player." Then I get the next screen with "Prologue", "Imperial Campaign" and other choices. When I select either "Prologue" or "Imperial Campaign," I get a small box that reads, "Please select an item from the list." I am not able to progress any further. However, when I select "Historical Battles" or "Custom Battle," I am able to progress to the next screen.
    After I quit and return to my desktop, I get a small window that reads "Rome Total War Script Error in RTH/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt at line 28, column 1. Expected start date of campaign or battle.

What do I need to do?

2. After I unzipped the download, the folder RTH_2.0 was on my desktop. I moved the subfolder RTH into my Rome Total War directory, made a shortcut of RTW.exe, moved it to my desktop, renamed it "Rome Total History," and made the changes to the "target/start in" for its properties. However, the folder RTH_2.0 is still on my desktop.
    a. Should I keep the folder RTH_2.0 on my desktop?
    b. It contains the following:
    (1) Rome Total History mod (to which I changed "target" to "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -mod:RTH -enable_editor and "start in" to "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War")
    (2) RomeTW-ALX - RTH (to which I have made no changes to target/start in)
    (3) RomeTW-BI - RTH (to which I have made no changes to target/start in), and
    (4) RTH Read me 2.0

Do I also need to make changes to items 2 & 3? Do I leave all the items where they are?

Thank you for your time and help.

Default Re: Installation Problem and Question

Go inside RTH/data/world/maps/campaign and see what folders are listed

Hello, and thank you for answering.
    Inside the campaign folder there are 2 folders.
    1. imperial_campaign This, in turn, contains two folders: custom_tiles ingame_maps
    2. custom This folder is empty

Quote Originally Posted by D.S.Pilsudski View Post
    Hello, and thank you for answering.Inside the campaign folder there are 2 folders.1. imperial_campaign This, in turn, contains two folders: custom_tiles ingame_maps2. custom This folder is empty
    In the target line put this: -show_err -mod:RTH -noalexanderThat should solve your problem!

Hello,
    I added -noalexander to the target line for the properties for the Rome Total History shortcut on my desktop (the renamed shortcut that I made from the shortcut of RTW.exe). Unfortunately, there is no difference.

Hello,
    I added -noalexander to the target line for the properties for the Rome Total History shortcut on my desktop (the renamed shortcut that I made from the shortcut of RTW.exe). Unfortunately, there is no difference.
    It needs to be the shortcut of the alexander.exe not the vanilla RTW exe

Hello, and thank you for answering.
    I changed the target for the RTH shortcut to what it had been ("C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe"). Then I changed the target to the shortcut of the alexander.exe to "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -show_err -mod:RTH -noalexander. Now, when I click on the RTH shortcut, it boots up RTW vanilla.

OK, I just noticed that I took off a little too much when I changed the RTH shortcut. So I added "-show_err -mod:RTH" and that shortcut's target looks as it should. So now, RTH boots up again, but I'm back to the original problem (getting a small box that reads "Please select an item from the list." when I select "Prologue" or "Imperial Campaign.")
    Last edited by Leonardo; December 28, 2019 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Posts merged.

OK, I just noticed that I took off a little too much when I changed the RTH shortcut. So I added "-show_err -mod:RTH" and that shortcut's target looks as it should. So now, RTH boots up again, but I'm back to the original problem (getting a small box that reads "Please select an item from the list." when I select "Prologue" or "Imperial Campaign.")
    Adding -noalexander if you’re using the Alexander.exe should make everything work. “-show_err -mod:RTH -noalexander

I don't use the Alexander.exe. I use the vanilla RTW.exe. Should I use Alexander.exe instead?

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

It doesn't work with vanilla. Only with alex. Do what ahowl said only on the alex shortcut. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

A thousand blessings upon your house and ahowl's house!
    1. I looked at the text for RTH Read me 2.0, and I didn't see where it says I have to use alex. What else should I have read?
    2. Will there be more updates for RTH?
    Many thanks!

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Most likely no. Philadelphos was the leader and he hasn't been here, for a good while. Also, happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyroman View Post
    Most likely no. Philadelphos was the leader and he hasn't been here, for a good while. Also, happy new year!
    That's a shame. I hope that Philadelphos is all right.
    Do you have any idea if this multiplayer mod works with RTH?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...RMC)-lt-lt-!!!

Tiro

If you got this to work I would make the following change in the export_descr_unit file. I would move the mercenary general cavalry bodyguard from where it is in the file to the end of the roman units. If you don't then ALL the new roman generals will have the mercenary general cavalry when they come of age, get adopted, etc. The Mercenary general cavalry is about as effective as greek cavalry (low attack and defense numbers), has only one hit point (not 2), and costs more than the Roman general cavalry.

I was able to get this to work on both Vanilla and Alexander. The shortcut for Vanilla includes: \RomeTW.exe" -mod:RTH -show_err -enable_editor -multirun -ne and the Alexander one I have: RomeTW-ALX.exe" -mod:alexander/RTH -enable_editor -show_err -multirun -ne

It seems to work for me at least.