Thread: Your favorite bands or groups per various music genres - name them!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Your favorite bands or groups per various music genres - name them!

With a gun to your head and with no time to think too much about it, list your favorite bands, artists or music groups per musical genre:

Jazz: Miles Davis
    Old school Thrash Metal: Testament
    Hip Hop: Wu Tang Clan
    Hard rock: AC/DC
    Gangsta Rap: Notorious BIG, Biggie Smalls
    Punk rock: Black Flag
    Blues: BB King
    Grindcore: Napalm Death
    Outlaw country: Hank Williams III (Hank 3)
    R&B: the Temptations
    Death Metal: Dying Fetus
    Bluegrass: Mark O'Connor
    New Wave Thrash Metal: Municipal Waste
    Funk & Soul: James Brown
    Industrial: Nine Inch Nails
    1980s pop rock: Billy Idol
    Grunge rock: Soundgarden
    Classical music: Mozart
    Melodic Death Metal: At the Gates
    Reggae: Bob Marley (obviously)
    1970s rock: Creedence Clearwater Revival, CCR
    Classic Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath (with both Ozzy and Dio)
    Folk music: Bob Dylan
    Hardcore: Sick of It All
    1960s rock and roll: the Doors
    Prog rock: King Crimson
    Alternative rock: Frank Black and the Catholics (Black Francis)
    New Flamenco: Paco de Lucia
    Funk metal: Primus

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Default Re: Your favorite bands or groups per various music genres - name them!

Baroque: Bach
    Classical: Haydn

All other genres are invalid.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I refuse to believe there are that many genres of music

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Not going to lie, I doubt I knew more than half of the musical genres Roma listed.

Oriental: Ottoman Janissary Band
    Folklore: Red Army Ensemble
    Classical: Sultan Abdülaziz

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Abdul mate you can't say "oriental" anymore that's not cool. It's called "Chinese" now

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Abdul mate you can't say "oriental" anymore that's not cool. It's called "Chinese" now
    Wow, racist much? It's not "Chinese" anymore either, it's "Chinaman stuff". Get it right.

Nice suggestions, Diamat and Abdulmecid! However, you guys are just a bunch of unbelievers! There are SO many more genres I didn't even list, for instance, K-Pop from Korea and J-Pop from Japan, weird kawaii pop music from Japan like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, to say nothing of all the traditional folk music of various countries from China to Russia to Iran. Although I listed lots of African American artists, I didn't even delve into actual traditional music from Africa, although I don't know much about it so I won't pretend like I do.

Weird kawaii J-Pop music as mentioned, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu:

I didn't even mention Hair Metal bands at all either, like Skid Row:

As for all the other artists listed, here are samples of each one for just a taste, in the random order that I listed them above:

Thrash Metal: Testament

Gangsta rap: Biggie Smalls, Notorious BIG

Outlaw Country: Hank Williams III (Hank 3)

R&B: The Temptations

Bluegrass: Mark O'Connor (here with Tony Rice)

Funk and Soul: James Brown

'

Reggae: Bob Marley

1970s Rock: CCR, Creedence Clearwater Revival

Classic Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath

1960s rock: The Doors

Prog Rock: King Crimson

Alternative Rock: Frank Black (Black Francis)

Funk Metal: Primus

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

You spent way too much time on this.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I don't like music
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I don't like music
    You're right, music is a terrible concept and should be CANCELLED and DESTROYED. Everyone should also become voluntarily deaf and join with Beethoven in being unable to hear the world around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    You spent way too much time on this.
    That's where you're wrong kiddo. I'm immortal, so I have all the time in the world, especially for my beloved Thema Devia, unlike some people who are not patriotic about our sub-forum and its righteous causes. Such people should be crucified along the Appian Way.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Let me introduce you to the delights of the popular Italian music

warning: it can cause blindness and deafness, and possibly even sudden will for suicide

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now, since in my tiny and puny country music is like either you cry or you puke, I've been forced to listen to rock exclusively, at the least in order to cover the usual razzle made by my compatriots (you know, it's like always a market day, even in the libraries ), hence mine is a simple list of great rock bands everybody should be worshiping

- AC/DC is an easy win, but they really rock, probably the "best" hard rock band ever
    - Iron Maiden is a ing great band, for the most they are totally underrated because people assume they are like death metal (because of the album covers) but they aren't really so.. mostly great metal ballads, with a lot of true lyrics and some great changes of rhythm.. listen to them!
    - Black sabbath: once again people assumes that they are demoniac or such, not really so; the fathers of metal, there won't be any heavy metal if not for them; besides, they have Ozzy, the God of Rock by definition.
    - Led Zeppelin: again, a lot of people think that they are just "love love and bla bla", man no one doubts that they sang about love as well, but many many lyrics are far from that and some songs are just so sexy you can't help but wet yourself while listening to them; Nobody's fault but mine makes me horny every time.
    - Rammstein: just wash your ears and get ready to be introduced to a whole new level of metal; Lindemann has a terrible metal voice, but a great melodic one, and he compensate the former with a great acting skill... a fantastic band, astonishing live shows, probably the creepiest lyrics in general (excluded death metal of course)
    - Motorhead: lads, I mean, who was cooler than Lemmy? I always dreamed to have a beard like his, but I can't due to my stupid public job; besides, the fact that Lemmy played the bass like a guitar (with chords) makes their music unique.. really, a unique band under many aspects
    - Metallica: dudes, I don't even have to talk about them.. either you love them or you hate them
    - Megadeth: same as above, usually the love for one excludes the love for the other one; besides I think that Mustaine is immortal, he gets younger as the years go by..
    - SOAD.. the first time I heard them it was like "da is this ?" .. a bit of crazy dudes, but some songs are just masterpieces in all regards.. great band, great sound (very varied)
    - Queen: call me crazy, but the Queen was the only true rock band for a while, in a age of people like Duran Duran or Depeche Mode... while the old great bands from the seventies were fading away and the new wave of trash metal wasn't up yet, they marked the time with great rock songs.. besides, Freddy had the best voice ever, period.
    - Nirvana: I remember I cried the day I knew that Curt was dead... most emotional rock band ever, grunge is not really the correct therm to define them.. if you haven't ever listened to the unplugged @ MTV, do that and be prepared to have your music experience changed forever
    - Pink Floid: I've like the feeling that many youngsters don't even know who they are... psychedelic is just the starting word to define them.. join them in their trips and be prepared to be brought on a world of acids and dreams.. not very "hard" rock, but some riffs are simply epic
    - Guns N' Roses: yes I hate how Axl has become .. I mean come on Benny Hill, get out of his body!!! Some songs are part of the history of rock (welcome to the jungle, so horny!) and Slash is a ing badass, I'm sure he sits at the right side of Ozzy
    - FFDP: stepping on more modern bands... relatively new, pretty much american, but I love their style, a fresh wind of metal in a age of Biebers
    - Greta Van Fleet: they made me puke the first time I saw them live, how in the name of God they dress like that is beyond me.. dudes, this is the 3rd millennia... but their music is just awesome.. they wear a lot of influences in their sleeves, but this could be only like that, considering that they re-propose classic rock in the 2020s

so... there would be more, but this is the actual list of those I listen most
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Great post, Flinn! I agree with most of that. Good to see a fellow rock and metal fan around here, not just the pretentious lovers of particular classical composers who exclude everything else for some reason.

Your video was entertaining indeed. What is the best Italian traditional musician or group in your opinion? Or do you not have a favorite?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

Your video was entertaining indeed. What is the best Italian traditional musician or group in your opinion? Or do you not have a favorite?
    lol well that's the typical "Musica Napoletana".. that's the kind of entertainment that either you love it or you hate it.. for the most only people from Naples love it

As per your second question, it's difficult to tell, because there's a big gap in italian music from the 60s and 70s to modern times. Basically on those years we had what we call the "great singer-songwriters", a lot of great musicians who mixed good music with great lyrics (mostly social stuff, though).. however, on my book, there weren't many "bands" at the time, probably the PFM (Premiata Forneria Marconi) is the only Italian band that reached an international level, this because they mixed folklorist music with rock. On the side of singer-songwriters I value Guccini (mostly political and social stuff) and DeAndrè (it's basically poetry and philosophy) the most, because they both have great lyrics.. there are more recent artists that I don't despise, like Vasco Rossi or Litfiba (a band) because they have a reasonable level of rock (for italian music I mean), but not much more than this (probably Lucio Battisti, IMO his incredible music talent was somewhat mitigated by the monotony of the lyrics, mostly love stuff, that he did not write himself anyways).

Much more to add, but I guess I bored you enough already
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Thanks for the reply! I wouldn't have known any of this stuff because I simply don't know much if anything about Italian music. I'll look into each of these guys on Youtube.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    With a gun to your head and with no time to think too much about it, list your favorite bands, artists or music groups per musical genre:

Old school Thrash Metal: Testament
    Gangsta Rap: Notorious BIG, Biggie Smalls
    Outlaw country: Hank Williams III (Hank 3)
    R&B: the Temptations
    Bluegrass: Mark O'Connor
    Funk & Soul: James Brown
    Reggae: Bob Marley (obviously)
    1970s rock: Creedence Clearwater Revival, CCR
    Classic Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath (with both Ozzy and Dio)
    1960s rock and roll: the Doors
    Prog rock: King Crimson
    Alternative rock: Frank Black and the Catholics (Black Francis)
    Funk metal: Primus
    OOOOHHH a music list, extra long, i love them:

Jazz: no
    Trash Metal: Megadeth
    Hip Hop: Beastie Boys
    Hard rock: Foreigner
    Gangsta Rap: no
    Punk: Die toten Hosen
    Blues: don't know
    Grindcore: no
    Outlaw country: Johnny Cash
    R&B: Sam Cooke
    Death Metal: Paradise Lost
    Bluegrass NONONO^^
    New Wave Thrash Metal: Korn
    Funk & Soul: Kool & the Gang (Pulp Fiction^^)
    Industrial Rock Nine Inch Nails
    1980s pop rock The Police
    Grunge Nirvana
    Classic -
    Melodic Death Metal In Flames
    Reggae Bob Marley
    1970s rock: Ramones
    Classic Heavy Metal Iron Maiden
    Folk Bob Dylan who else?^^
    Hardcore Dead Kennedys
    1960s rock and roll The Champs
    Prog rock Pink Floyd
    Alternative rock
    Garbage^^
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    New Flamenco: what?^^
    Funk metal: Faith no more
    And now some addition from me to the list

Symphonic Metal Nightwish
    Gothic Metal Theatre of Tragedy
    Neue Deutsche Härte/NDH Rammstein
    Alternative Metal Lacuna Coil ( best italian band )
    Electro-Industrial/Aggrotech Suicide Commando
    Pagan Folk Faun
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; December 04, 2019 at 10:31 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Excellent! I love the suggestions, especially Megadeth for Thrash Metal (could have gone with Slayer, Anthrax, or early Sepultura as obvious choices too), Beastie Boys for Hip Hop, Johnny Cash for Outlaw Country, Kool and the Gang, Nirvana for Grunge, In Flames for Melodic Death Metal, Ramones for 1970s rock (although I would have just gone for Punk Rock there), Iron Maiden for Classical Heavy Metal, Pink Floyd for Prog Rock, Garbage for Alternative Rock, and Faith No More, a worthy substitute for Primus in the Funk Metal genre.

I'll check out Nightwish, Theatre of Tragedy, Faun, and Suicide Commando now that you've mentioned them. I obviously already know about Rammstein. I also know about Lacuna Coil, although I haven't heard much of their material.

As for Hardcore, though, I think Dead Kennedys are way more purely Punk Rock than part of the Hardcore scene. When I say "Hardcore" I don't just mean bands like Sick of It All, I also mean Sworn Enemy, Blood for Blood, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, and even old school Darkest Hour before they become more of a Melodic Death Metal band. Stuff like this:

I should have also added Groove Metal with the band Pantera as an obvious choice:

Also, you are definitely confusing Nu Metal, bands like Korn, Papa Roach, or Limp Bizkit, with New Wave Thrash Metal, which is a completely different genre, and usually includes Crossover Thrash, a mixture of thrash metal with hardcore punk, in the vein of bands like Suicidal Tendencies. This new wave of thrash includes bands like Iron Reagan (a spinoff of Municipal Waste shown above) Alcoholator, Reign of Fire, Skulled, Lich King, or bands like Warbringer, who bring back the sounds of 1980s thrash metal with a more recent, heavier twist:

Alcoholator is hilarious by the way:

Iron Reagan is even funnier:

You should also give Bluegrass bands a chance, they are extremely talented, especially ones like Trampled by Turtles:

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

If you look for Nightwish, start with the albums with Tarja, the goddess of singing.

The other female singers, after she left the band, are good, but not her.

I love Pantera. Good choice.

Honestly i didn't know what you had meant with New Wave of Trash Metal.

I could be wrong, but at this time power metal was more popular in Europe.

Like Helloween, Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Primal Fear.

Hardcore is not my taste, but i think i will give bluegrass a chance.

To continue the list:

Power Metal
    Hammerfall
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; December 05, 2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day