Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creating a World - Developer's Setup Kit for Sound Editing

Default Re: Creating a World - Developer's Setup Kit for Sound Editing

Thank you very much! And one more question please.

I have packed all the files in the Russian version of vanilla. But I noticed that my new file events.dat is 5733kb, and the old one is 6594kb (russian steam original file). This worries me a little. Usually the size is smaller when some files are had not packed. But after all, everything was exactly packed in my case, - I checked it.

Only the file Plant_stake_01.wav was not packed, which is not in the vanilla sound txt files and I don't know where to put it. (his size 57,6 kb)

but it can’t affect the reduction in the size of the events.dat file by 861kb. (But I did move the vanilla factions in the accents file as well, since Russian localization of vanilla does not have Mongolian, Scottish, or Eastern European accents.) but 85% sure they shaded them exactly like me (in the accents file)

Do you have any suggestions why it is still so much one file less than the original? (everything is fine with the rest - their size is almost identical to the original files of the Russian steam version up to 10kb and even my new voice1.dat is bigger than orig by 5mb)

And Have you compared events.dat with your original files in English version of steam m2tw?
    Last edited by Leeekaaa; February 04, 2023 at 09:03 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The sounds\events file in the English disk version are 6593KB, based on the text files from the download. I can only guess that somewhere something went wrong in your setup. Even my voice.idx file is 30.635KB as compared to your 24.774KB

Have a look into the dev kit log if there is an error message with regards to sounds.
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 04, 2023 at 11:12 PM.

well, there are definitely no errors because all the files were packed (except for one that is not used by Plant_stake_01.wav - by the way, did you manage to insert it into sound files and find where it is written?)

I opened the events.dat file in the note editor - and found that in this sound file (which I remind you was taken from the clean Russian steam version of the game) and I found notes and writing there for all accents that were not localized, namely: Scottish, Mongolian and Eastern European. There has simply never been a Russian voiceover (localization) of such accents.

Where does my question arise - how could they do it? After all, if you put files in the date folder and sounds in the sounds folder, then if at least one sound file that is registered in the text files is missing, then there will be a crash when packing (that is, when entering the game)... Do you have any ideas how did they do it?

I hope my translator and (my edits of it) conveyed the meaning that I wanted to say. (Sorry for my English)

upd; I think I understand the reason. In the vanilla Russian steam version - all factions are silent (which do not have localization - Russian voice acting).

But I still don't understand how could they pack the sound files with sounds which have been written in txt files that weren't in the sounds folder.
    Last edited by Leeekaaa; February 05, 2023 at 04:41 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

It's actually simple - it will only crash once (during the creation of the files). After that the game will run without those sound files having been present, resulting in silence when those sounds were supposed to play.
    Happened to us while developing Rise of three Kingdoms and had us puzzled for a while until we located the sound error message. EBII had it as well during development if memory serves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12