Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The latest complain about Turkey thread (get your daily Turkish delight of bad publicity here)!

Default Re: The latest complain about Turkey thread (get your daily Turkish delight of bad publicity here)!

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    Where in that article does it say that Greece stole the oil? The article explains it was the US that confiscated it. It does quote Khamenei making the claim it was stolen but it does not report that to be the case. Where in that article does it say that Greece turned the Persian gulf into a dangerous place?

Don't be absurd.
    The article is titled "Iran says tankers seized because Greece 'stole' oil" for a reason. Clearly I'm not being absurd here. The article does talk about Greece stealing the oil. It doesn't have to be news agency's own verdict to use that as a statement. You're free to challenge its accuracy, however, it is absurd to say it's not founded in the article. Persian Gulf turning a dangerous place is a point of opinion. Given Greece confiscating a tanker carrying Iranian oil for whatever reason did put Greek vessels passing near Iran a target which is precisely what happened. Again, you're free to disagree with that and say that Greece is not at fault for this but that doesn't mean one can not argue that given what the information provided by the article.

I never referred to this specific article alone, in fact as I said in my previous response, I don't believe that's his source, because his views don't correspond to the article. I also said that I assumed "he got his information from Turkish media". Information, in general. Now that's an assumption, I could be wrong. When Odenat said that Turkey is actually supporting Greece and the US in this I did not dispute it further.

At least you are not disputing that Turkey's press freedom is very low, which yes does mean that Turkish media would be heavily influenced by the government.
    You didn't refer to any other articles as well. Making sweeping generalizations doesn't really create a valid point. Just because you assume something to be doesn't make it to be. Just for reference though, Turkey scored an abysmal 41.25 in the Reporters Without Borders press freedom index with Greece scoring 55.52. Turkey having a low score doesn't really grant you the right to assume foul play freely at every turn.
    The Armenian Issue

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The latest complain about Turkey thread (get your daily Turkish delight of bad publicity here)!

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    The article is titled "Iran says tankers seized because Greece 'stole' oil" for a reason. Clearly I'm not being absurd here. The article does talk about Greece stealing the oil. It doesn't have to be news agency's own verdict to use that as a statement. You're free to challenge its accuracy, however, it is absurd to say it's not founded in the article. Persian Gulf turning a dangerous place is a point of opinion. Given Greece confiscating a tanker carrying Iranian oil for whatever reason did put Greek vessels passing near Iran a target which is precisely what happened. Again, you're free to disagree with that and say that Greece is not at fault for this but that doesn't mean one can not argue that given what the information provided by the article.
    A point of opinion that is not reflected in the article in any way. And in the title the stole is in quotations marks. Clearly signifying it's a spurious claim. I will say again, therefore his interpretation comes from elsewhere. That could be his own personal bias against Greece, or, more likely, other news sources. But not this article.

You didn't refer to any other articles as well. Making sweeping generalizations doesn't really create a valid point. Just because you assume something to be doesn't make it to be. Just for reference though, Turkey scored an abysmal 41.25 in the Reporters Without Borders press freedom index with Greece scoring 55.52. Turkey having a low score doesn't really grant you the right to assume foul play freely at every turn.
    Did I say it makes it be? When Nebaki said Turkey supports Greece and the US in this I accepted it. I can look for articles from the Turkish press to confirm Nebaki's claim, but I have neither the time, nor currently the interest to do that. So I left it there.

Actually, Turkey's abysmal, as you put it, score does give one cause to be suspicious of foul play, when it comes to the Turkish press, at every turn yes.
    Last edited by Alastor; June 05, 2022 at 10:25 AM.

If that's not the case and Turkey is on the side of their allies, Greece & US, in this dispute, then good.
    Back in the times US was any Ally of Turkey - Today we accept them as a Ally. I don´t know what is the case with Greece.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

But i wouldn´t call this an Alliance.

Anyway anything else like Aegean or Eastern Mediterranean should be discussed under this and some questions already got answered there:

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    We already got a Topic in that relation and mostly for your Arguments with no Sources of course already got invalidated - please use the Search function on your own.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ce-Libya-Egypt
    Last edited by Nebaki; June 05, 2022 at 10:33 AM.

Odenat's Avatar Senator

Actually the oil was confiscated by the US, not Greece, in accordance with their sanctions regime against Iran. Do note the ship was flying the Russian flag at the time, not the Iranian one. Furthermore Greece did not stop that ship. It stopped on its own near a Greek island, likely due to mechanical problems and was subsequently investigated and detained in accordance with sanctions imposed during Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
    Can you please explain how can USA confiscate a ship inside Greek sea zone? Isn't Greece an independent country? Can Turkey/Albania/Italy etc. also confiscate ships inside Greek sea zones? Here is another source (German this time) which clearly writes that "Greece says it would deliver Iranian oil seized from a Russian tanker to Washington". If USA seized the ship, how can Greece deliver Iranian oil to USA? By the way, is US laws used at Greece that Greece follow them? What i know is that EU does not have an embargo on Iranian oil, so when Greece stopped that ship and took the oil, isn't it an act of piracy according to EU law?

https://www.dw.com/en/iran-admits-to...ers/a-62033833

Turkey as an ally of both the US and Greece should be supporting them in this dispute, rather than cheering on Iran's latest act of piracy. Iran who not only is not an ally but instead a designated enemy of the US, Turkey's primary ally.
    Really? If Turkey must support Greece and USA because they are allies, doesn't Greece and USA must support Turkey too? For example, by stopping arming terrorists at North Syria? Or is that alliance working only one sided?

At 2019, when Russian planes bombed Turkish soldiers at North Syria and we asked for help from NATO, only Spain helped. They are Turkish allies and Turkey will help them if they ask for it.
    Last edited by Odenat; June 06, 2022 at 09:28 AM.

I agree that Greece had no business confiscating the iranian tanker and/or its contents, but this has nothing to do with the ridiculous claims of Türkiye to demilitarize the Hellenic islands so that Turkiye can attack them easier.
    If anything, the islands must be militarized even more than they are now, and Evros must also be more aggressively militarized so that, in the case of an attack on the islands the Hellenic military can liberate Adrianopolis. It is only a few kilometers off our borders, we should claim it.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

For those that are not so cozy with the names, Adrianopolis ioannis76 is talking about is Edirne city of Turkey, which is the previous capital of Ottoman Empire before Constantinople.
    The Armenian Issue

For those that are not so cozy with the names, Adrianopolis ioannis76 is talking about is Edirne city of Turkey, which is the previous capital of Ottoman Empire before Constantinople.

It is the name given to it by those who founded the city, and held it before the Ottomans came and took it by force.
    And yes, the history of the city as the first capital of the Ottomans, would mean that, if the Greeks were to liberate it, that would be a devastating blow to the morale of those who seek to rebuild the ottoman empire by (thinking of) grabbing islands from the Greeks.
    The impact might be so great as to cause many of the various ethnic and religious groups of Turkey (apart from the Kurds) to revolt against the Turks.

The Truth is Hate for those who hate the Truth.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

It's not. Those who founded the city, the thraco-dacians, gave it the name Uskadama. It was later on renamed to Hadrianopolis by the very non-greek emperor Hadrian. It was major hub of balkan romance and openly welcomed multiple conquerors who actively opposed the greeks such as the bulgarians and the western crusaders and the ottomans.

If we go by your "who founded it" theory the city belong to Romania and Romania is ok with the name Edirne.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ioannis76 View Post
    And yes, the history of the city as the first capital of the Ottomans, would mean that, if the Greeks were to liberate it, that would be a devastating blow to the morale of those who seek to rebuild the ottoman empire by (thinking of) grabbing islands from the Greeks.
    The impact might be so great as to cause many of the various ethnic and religious groups of Turkey (apart from the Kurds) to revolt against the Turks.
    You are vastly exaggerating the importance of the islands for anyone aspiring to rebuild the Ottoman Empire. Your aspiration about Uskadama has no validity.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456