Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which CPU to take for total war?

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: which CPU to take for total war

8 GB of ram 3.10 AMD CPU and 3 GB of video memeory is my current build

I will hunt down a new build tomorrow with improved cooling and such

I have only 5 GB left on my SSD which has TWH installed could that also be a problem?
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

The AMD CPU is probably what's holding it back. The calculations due to how poorly optimized TW games are (they aren't multithreaded to any significant extent) all run on a single core.

Multithreading helps since different threads can be run on a single core, even if they still use the same "brain" parts, which means they compete for the same resources to an extent.

Multicore orientated programs are even better, since they use all the cores available to the best possible extent. Usually programs like games use a combination of those two.

Anyway, the point is AMD CPU's (yours especially) hugely rely on multicore programming, which is I would say, even more advanced than multithreaded programming. So not many games or programs do that yet, especially as intel has perpetually been stuck on the meme 14nm++++++++++++++++++, and 4 cores. Although we've now slowly advanced to 8 cores after the Ryzen scare which forced Intel to compete.

This explains why you have such trouble with your current CPU. The AMD cpu is geared towards multicore and multithreaded applications, and TW is definitely not one of those at this point.

I will hunt down a new build tomorrow with improved cooling and such

I have only 5 GB left on my SSD which has TWH installed could that also be a problem?
    The space is not the problem. SSD's access things without moving parts and are not affected much by a lack of space. SSD's have space they cordon off and use as the drive gets older already, so it manages itself.

As for the cooling, generally people buy EVGA 2080ti Hybrid cooled cards, as this is a watercooled solution. There are others, but the one I would recommend based on my own experience is the EVGA 2080ti Hybrid.

They don't buy an all in one solution unless their builder offers that. Due to how expensive your build is, if you talk to support (from the place you are buying) about a custom water cooled solution for both your GPU and CPU I am certain they will accommodate you.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Also how you normally can tell whether a monitor is TN is by the "1ms response time" which is simply unnoticeable and not worth it.
    Well, only if the 1ms response time thing was ever true, which it isn't. Most response times are well above 5ms G2G, but some exceptional TN panels can get under 3ms. PG279Q has a 5ms response time G2G with an IPS Panel (AHVA), which is quite frankly, exceptional.

3gb is nothing. The only game that truly needs 16gb or 32gb is star citizen, as it is a (real) next gen game fully utilizing a massive scale of technology in true 64 bit precision. Meaning it needs all that RAM.

TW games don't really do that yet, they mainly chug along using single core and some GPU power with RAM being an after thought.
    I always advocate for more RAM. RAM creep is a thing, especially if you never reset your computers like I do. Currently I have 32GB, and I'm not even playing a game, but I'm at 47% usage. I am an exceptionally lazy and heavy user though, so there is that. Imo, 16GB is the 8GB of 2016, best to get 16GB today, then have to upgrade later.

Citizen

ram creep is the same as a memory leak you mean or games just using more ram over time

D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Games and applications are starting to use more and more RAM. Buying more RAM today is essentially future-proofing. It does cost more though, money that could've been used getting something different, like a better CPU or GPU or whatever. So it really depends on a person's budget and where they want to make the cuts.

Citizen

I see thank you I will keep it at 16 for now since this is already a lot of money for me

new specs

Specifications:
    Chassis Model: Aventum X
    Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish
    Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
    Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-H Gaming (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-EDevices)
    System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series<br><strong></strong>
    Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 PlusGold)
    Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
    Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray Writer & Player (Blu-Ray 6x) &DVD/CD Writer
    Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express) (ExtremePerformance)
    Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express) (ExtremePerformance)
    Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
    RAID Config: - No Thanks
    RAID Card: - No Thanks
    Internet Access: Wired PCI-E ASUS XG-C100C (10 GbE) (1x RJ45 Connector)
    Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
    Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
    HPC Processor: - No Thanks
    Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (1x GraphicsCard + CPU) <br><strong></strong>
    HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid CoolingSystem)
    HydroLux Fluid Color: White Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLuxLiquid Cooling System)
    Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed &Organized for Airflow)
    Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
    Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
    Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
    Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
    Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
    LaserMark: - No Thanks
    Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
    Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possiblewith complete stability
    Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
    Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
    Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
    Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
    Office: - No Thanks
    Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
    Display: - No Thanks <br><strong></strong>
    Surge Shield: APC 1500VA Uninterrupted Power & Surge Conditioner - BX1500M- (NOTE: Ships VIA Ground ONLY)
    Speakers: - No Thanks
    Keyboard: - No Thanks
    Mouse: - No Thanks
    Branded Gear: - No Thanks
    Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order IsSuccessfully Processed
    Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor& 1 Year Part Replacement)

It's a badass build, not going to lie. It's much better than my current PC, I'm pretty jealous.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not 100% certain whether they'll connect it for you or not but supposedly your cooling contains a GPU block. So in theory they'll do that for you (this however, will void your warranty on the card unless they're EVGA).

They don't seem to offer EVGA hydrocoppers either sadly, they just say a random card that they decide to give you will be assigned. Which IMO genuinely sucks, as not all brands are the same. Some have issues due to coolers or PCB's that others don't.

And the warranty and service quality can differ.

Regardless, it seems like a really nice build and custom water cooling solution. So if you ask customer support about it, I'd verify and make certain they'll give you a decent card and also replace the GPU cooling with a water block (while not voiding the manufacturers warranty).

If the manufacturers warranty is voided by the GPU water block (which can totally happen depending on the manufacturer), then this will devalue your card in my opinion. As you can no longer have it replaced if it starts having issues.

That's $2000 down the drain if there's a problem with it.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Hydrocoppers are the greatest. I remember seeing them on GTX 580s

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    It's a cool build, not going to lie. It's much better than my current PC, I'm pretty jealous.
    well it costs a whopping 7000 dollars also so if I pay that I expect a good build

@z3n thanks for the advice I will keep that in mind

I am awaiting a reply from customer support right now

sorry for it taking so long guys but I have one last question about the build

I am just wondering what DS builds their RAM on since google does not tell me

is it good quality?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 10, 2022 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Clean-up

From what I can tell, it's ADATA. Can't tell you much about the "quality" since I tend to purchase either whatever is cheapest or Corsair for the warranty. All DRAM is manufactured by Samsung, Micron, or Hynix. Aside from the legendary Samsung DDR3 RAM which overclocked like crazy a few years ago, I don't think anyone makes a serious distinction. It's one of the less important components.

Citizen

thanks for the answer +rep

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by locori View Post
    Hello,

So it looks like my old laptop will struggle to run Warhammer 3. I am looking to purchase either a desktop or laptop and my budget is around 1,500.00 US. I have been searching online but find that I have little knowledge on what is actually worth it’s price. Should I spend more on a processor, Video card, RAM? I also have little idea which manufactures are reliable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forums

With a budget of 1500 USD you'll probably have a plethora of choices.
    My advice is to decide if you're aiming for a laptop or desktop and in what resolution you'd like to game. It's a very important choice, because laptop and desktop market is quite different.
    After that, I could suggest specific bundles of hardware for your personal usage

Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Which CPU to take for total war?

Desktop gives far better hardware at that price range, the only concern is that rtx 4000 series is around the corner.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    Desktop gives far better hardware at that price range, the only concern is that rtx 4000 series is around the corner.
    Yeah lot of panic amongst retailers here now to ditch the scalped 3000 series. Told them to off when they shot a private mail to but it at "attractive" price lol. Will pick 4000 series now or 3000 series under MSRP. Gamers are fed up waiting 1+ year over it.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

I'll definitely favor the second option. Even if you're gaming on 4K (I never go over 1440p) more power than a 3070ti or 3080 could provide is a waste of money.
    IMO 4K is a total waste of money as well. At least in my book, it's just a marketing gimmick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12