Thread: SSHIP and/or Meloo's Fixes?

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Default SSHIP and/or Meloo's Fixes?

Been away from M2TW modding for years.

My objective this week is to install the most up to date and stable SS, and though I see recommendations for SSHIP and Meloo's Fixes, I'm not sure those two are compatible.

Am I mistaken and there IS a way to make them work together?

If not, which one is the better option?

Cheers.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: SSHIP and/or Meloo's Fixes?

There different...not really better. Base SS game do meloo's fixes, SSHIP submod/mod overhaul has its own/similar fixes. Both stable and 'up to date' although SSHIP is still being actively worked on while ss and bug fixes are not.

It is pretty easy to have multiple installs if you want to try both. Your active one needs the folder named ss6.3 but you can have endless copies and just rename whatever version/setup you want to ss6.3 to run it.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

I generally try to avoid cluttering my mods folder. I've a nature to have things balloon to gigabytes if I'm not vigilant.

I think I might turn to Meloo's Fixes since I understand they include Byg's 12TPY already customized for SS.

TTBOMK, SSHIP doesn't offer a 4+TPY submod, and I'd rather not spend my time making one myself.

Also, as far as I can tell, SSHIP is primarily about improved historicity of regional borders, settlement locations, names, and troop appearances.

Unless SSHIP also offers improvements to SS play-ability and general upkeep (the unofficial up-to-date continued supporting of SS), the time spent creating a 4+TPY mod to go with it wouldn't be worthwhile for me.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; December 01, 2019 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Also, as far as I can tell, SSHIP is primarily about improved historicity of regional borders, settlement locations, names, and troop appearances.
    it goes way beyond that, it's very different in gameplay aswell, public order is hard to maintain, troops and buildings are very expensive, conquest is far slower and limited compared to SS6.4, units balance is different aswell

might have been only/mainly about history at first but now it improves/changes everything

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    it goes way beyond that, it's very different in gameplay aswell, public order is hard to maintain, troops and buildings are very expensive, conquest is far slower and limited compared to SS6.4, units balance is different aswell

might have been only/mainly about history at first but now it improves/changes everything
    Thanks Dekhatres. Have you yourself ever used Byg's Grim Reality in the past, and so could compare how well it handles those same effects?

And would you say that SSHIP provides a reliable service of maintaining the stable function of SS, this long after the last official SS update?

After all, I was a dedicated DLV user in the past. The only reason I'm looking at SS this week is because DLV is largely abandoned while SS is not.
    DLV is not stable.
    Is SS6.4?
    Is Meloo's Fixes/BGRVI?
    Is SSHIP?

yes but not enough to have an opinion on it

from my experience SSHIP is one of the most stable mods i've played and i recall others mentioning this aswell, if you would like more opinions on sability head over there and ask in its general thread

SS6.4, dont remember, havent played SS6.4 without the bugfix in ages

Meloo, i'd say yes i still keep playing 6.4 with it and i am satisfied, ofc you may still have some random crash like every 50 turns but nothing gamebreaking, at no point have i been unable to continue a campaign, there is one really annoying bug which none has ever figured out what it is but basically what happens is that game crashes every 2 turns for a period of like 10 turns then it stops and game is stable again, that happens ehhh about once in 300 turns i'd say, you get over it by simply saving every turn and reloading

i've never encountered this bug in SSHIP, though to be fair so far i still have more hours 6.4

those are the odds, maybe you dont consider that stable, dunno, ask more ppl, make a new thread, see for yourself

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks Dekhatres. Have you yourself ever used Byg's Grim Reality in the past, and so could compare how well it handles those same effects?

And would you say that SSHIP provides a reliable service of maintaining the stable function of SS, this long after the last official SS update?

After all, I was a dedicated DLV user in the past. The only reason I'm looking at SS this week is because DLV is largely abandoned while SS is not.
    DLV is not stable.
    Is SS6.4?
    Is Meloo's Fixes/BGRVI?
    Is SSHIP?
    There all 'stable' as in you can play them. You might get a crash occasionally usually due to mtw2 issues, memory leaks, and reinforcement bugs that are not really correctable. But I have played all 3 w/o a single crash through a whole campaign so there is that. Usually if the crash happens it is not campaign stopping, just annoying to reload/restart to get past. Once in a great while I might have to use 'kill faction' or 'move character' cheat it something goes really, really wrong but that is super rare.

SSHIP and Titanium are the 'submods' continuing development on SS. Since SS creators/owners have stepped away (and no sign of coming back or passing them on or giving permission to others) the only way to continue development is with submods.
    Essentially, there is two ss6.5's ish submods, SSHIP and Titanium, with two separate teams creating them and actively working on them. There is also point blank doing rr/rc but that is a standalone mod and does not require ss, but works quite well with it to add some balance (earlier versions of rr/rc were/are available in default ss submod manager).

The last update for SS by the developers is 6.4. That is not going to change at this point I'd imagine.
    Last edited by Losthief; December 03, 2019 at 10:29 AM.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

DLV is not stable.
    Is SS6.4?
    Is Meloo's Fixes/BGRVI?
    Is SSHIP?
    In my sig you may find a quite detailed review of the SSHIP. Have a look at the Broken Crescent as well.
    SS is similarly abandoned as DLV - the SSHIP and Titanium are the "new" versions of the SS, in some sense.
    SSHIP is very stable.
    My opinion on the BGR is somewhere here.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    yes but not enough to have an opinion on it

from my experience SSHIP is one of the most stable mods i've played and i recall others mentioning this aswell, if you would like more opinions on sability head over there and ask in its general thread

SS6.4, dont remember, havent played SS6.4 without the bugfix in ages

Meloo, i'd say yes i still keep playing 6.4 with it and i am satisfied, ofc you may still have some random crash like every 50 turns but nothing gamebreaking, at no point have i been unable to continue a campaign, there is one really annoying bug which none has ever figured out what it is but basically what happens is that game crashes every 2 turns for a period of like 10 turns then it stops and game is stable again, that happens ehhh about once in 300 turns i'd say, you get over it by simply saving every turn and reloading

i've never encountered this bug in SSHIP, though to be fair so far i still have more hours 6.4

those are the odds, maybe you dont consider that stable, dunno, ask more ppl, make a new thread, see for yourself
    Thank you very much Dekhatres, Losthief, Jurand. Very helpful.
    As for me, I consider a little crashing okay, as long as the campaign isn't stopped in it's tracks.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; December 04, 2019 at 01:06 AM.

oh yea a few things i forgot, i also deleted g5 stuff from campaign_script and a bunch of others, it makes battles even more stable for me

for SSHIP be sure to check JoC's traits fix, i believe it's very important if you're gona play SSHIP and also "quieter AI" minimod which makes Ai more chill about war, especially the pope who otherwise goes full Gengis Khan, oh and quieter AI also tones down unrest a bit too so you might look a bit around and tweak according to your needs

actually now that i think about it iirc SSHIP is about to release a new version and all these things might be already fixed, havent checked the notes on the new version

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

We have just released the v0.9.6 for SSHIP. Only JoC's stuff have been implemented, not the "Quieter AI". Note that the new version is not compatible with any of the mini-mods yet. But the v0.9.2 and v0.9.5 remain available for now.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader