Thread: A friendly tutorial to mod animations. A step by step

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Default A friendly tutorial to mod animations. A step by step

GETTING THE BASIC TOOLS

- Milkshape 3d 1.5.8 BETA 1 (Or newer).
    - A converter of files like GOAT (I also recomend downloading Modeler's Toolbox as an alternative converter and for some extra functions).
    - IWTE

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS

I STILL DONT HAVE A MOD AND WANT TO EDIT VANILLA ANIMATIONS
    - Download BareGeomod wich is nothing but a clean/base mod that will be installed in med2 folder, containing the med2 main files so you can create your own mod and then work with animations inside this new "mod" and test them there without messing up the other mods you have installed or the original game folder. PS: Download and install Baregeomod only, you don't need the Geomod Tool.

- Finally, you need to follow this in order to get everything ready to start modding the animations. Warning: When extracting these files, point to the /data folder inside the bare_geomod folder you just installed. It will create a /data/animation folder, go in this animation folder and find "_descr_skeleton.txt", rename it to "descr_skeleton.txt", cut it and paste into the /data folder.

Warning: In case you don't have your med2 files available from unpacking yet, do it, it will unpack all the original game files so you'll have acess to the 3d models associated with the animations you just downloaded. You need to have the files unpacked otherwise you will not find the .mesh models to work on, unless you get them from another source.

THE BASIC LOGIC ON MODDING ANIMATIONS FOR MED2:

One can start a new model and animation from scratch if he has the necessary skills, but this tutorial will guide you by teaching how to actually edit existing animations, either vanilla or custom modded ones.

Editing med2 existing animations is a good way to have your own custom animations in the game because the animation system in med2 has its own rules. Animations in med2 are linked to each other via a text file (descr_skeletons.txt), for example, the start of a "run" animation must fit the end of a "idle" animation, otherwise your soldier animation will be glitched in between these two phases. So you must follow this structure.

But this is actually not really a limitation, as you will see along the tutorial, this editing process gives you so many possibilities in changing the animation freely that it ends up being the same of creating a new one, only that your stuff will already be fit for the engine rules.

Run Med2 vanilla game or mod that contains the unit you want to work in. In custom battle menu, take a look in the units and choose one, memorize its name, close the game. Now go in /text folder and open export_units.txt and look for the name you memorized. You will find something like this:

Code:
    {memorized_name}Memorized Name
    Copy the text inside the {}, open export_descr_unit.txt in data/ folder and search for the text you just copied, there is the unit you choose in game. As you can see there is a lot of line in this unit entry, look for "soldier" line and you will se something like this example:

Code:
    soldier          giant, 7, 0, 1
    Copy the first value, now open battle_models.modeldb in /data/unit_models and search for it, there is the model of the unit you choose.
    PS: battle_models.modeldb is not easy to understand, if you want to know more about it, check here.

In battle_models.modeldb, you found something like this example:

Code:
    14 giant 1 4
    61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/viking_raiders_lod0.mesh 121
    61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/viking_raiders_lod1.mesh 900
    61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/viking_raiders_lod2.mesh 2500
    61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/viking_raiders_lod3.mesh 6400
    7 denmark
    79 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_denmark.texture
    78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
    46 unit_sprites/denmark_Viking_Raiders_sprite.spr
    5 slave
    78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture
    78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
    44 unit_sprites/slave_Viking_Raiders_sprite.spr
    7 denmark
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_denmark_diff.texture
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_denmark_norm.texture 0
    5 slave
    58 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_slave_diff.texture
    58 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_slave_norm.texture 0
    4 None
    9 MTW2_Mace 0
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 14 fs_test_shield
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    The line in blue is the animation set used for the model.

Go in /data/animations folder and search for the text in blue, you will find a folder with this name. Inside this folder, there is all the animations that compose the animation set for the model.
    4 - UNDERSTANDING THE ANIMATIONS SYSTEM OF A MODEL
    Now that you have already choosen a model and know where its animations are, you need to understand the function of all these animation files and how they relate to each other. The easiest and most intuitive way to do this is to check descr_skeleton.txt, wich is now inside bare_geomod/data folder, open this file and search for the animation set (in our example, MTW2_Mace. You will find an entry for this set, like:

Code:
    type        MTW2_Mace
    parent        MTW2_Knifeman
    locomotion_table soldier
    anim        default                                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_basepose.cas

;;;Defend

anim        eager_defend_hi_slashlr_med                                data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashlr.cas                                -fr    -if:3    -evade    -prob 10        -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashlr.evt
    anim        eager_defend_hi_slashrl_med                                data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashrl.cas                                -fr    -if:5    -evade                    -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashrl.evt
    anim        eager_defend_hi_stab_med                                data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_stab.cas                                    -fr    -if:3                            -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_stab.evt

anim        eager_defend_lo_slashlr                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_slashlr.cas                                -fr    -if:4    -evade    -prob 10        -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_slashlr.evt
    anim        eager_defend_lo_slashrl                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_slashrl.cas                                -fr    -if:7    -evade    -prob 10        -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_slashrl.evt
    anim        eager_defend_lo_stab                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_stab.cas                                    -fr    -if:4                            -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_stab.evt

anim        eager_defend_mid_slashlr_med                            data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_mid_slashlr.cas                                -fr    -if:4    -evade    -prob 10        -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_mid_slashlr.evt
    anim        eager_defend_mid_slashrl_med                            data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_mid_slashrl.cas                                -fr    -if:7    -evade                    -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_mid_slashrl.evt
    anim        eager_defend_mid_stab_med                                data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_mid_stab.cas                                    -fr    -if:4                            -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_mid_stab.evt

anim        eager_defend_overhead_slashlr                            data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashlr.cas                                -fr    -if:3    -evade    -prob 10        -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashlr.evt
    anim        eager_defend_overhead_slashrl                            data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashrl.cas                                -fr    -if:5    -evade                    -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashrl.evt
    anim        eager_defend_overhead_stab                                data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_stab.cas                                    -fr    -if:4                            -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_stab.evt

;;;Reaction

anim        knockback_from_front                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_knockback_from_front.cas                            -fr                                    -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_knockback_from_front.evt

By reading the information in this entry, you will manage to understand the animation system and how the engine links one animation to another. For example:

Code:
    anim        stand_a_idle                                        data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_stand_A_idle.cas    
    anim        stand_a_to_ready                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_stand_A_to_ready.cas    
    anim        ready_to_stand_a                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_ready_to_stand_A.cas
    In this case, we can see how some animations are intermediary states between two others.

Now check this line:
    Code:
    parent        MTW2_Knifeman 
    . This line points to another animation set entry (in this example, it points to MTW2_Knifeman) and what it does it taking from it any specifc animation that is not present in the "child" set.
    For example, lets say the child set called MTW2_Mace has no attack animation, so the engine will look for the attack animation in the parent set called MTW2_Knifeman. And this "family" can be even bigger since
    MTW2_Knifeman can be the child of yet another parent animation set...

After understanding the system, you will be able to choose the exact animations you want to edit.

Side Note: If you're not creating a complete new animation set but actually only editing an existing one, then you don't need to edit every animation listed in the set. For example, I'm working in a new animation set for Orc creatures for TATW mod, but I'm only editing the run, walk etc. animations, because the standard attack and defense ones seem to fit well for Orcs.

5 - PREPARING THE ANIMATION FILE TO BE EDITED
    Now, choose one animation you want to edit from the list you found in descr_skeleton.txt (I recomend to start with any "idle" one for they're simple to understand). Copy the name of its .cas file (example: MTW2_Mace_ready_to_stand_A.cas) and search for it inside the data/animations folder, it will find the .cas file you're looking for. Copy this file and paste in any empty folder you want to use as a storeage for your modding activity. Check the entry you previously found in battle_models.modeldb and copy the name of the .mesh model file of the unit you're going to work in. Search for this name in Medieval II Total War/data/unit_models (Not in bare_geomod/data/unit_models because there will be not such a folder there!) and find the .mesh file, copy it and paste in the same folder where you placed the .cas file. Open the GOAT tool you downloaded back there and click the Mesh to Ms3d Convert button to convert the .mesh file to ms3d. (In case you get any problem with the .mseh file, use Mesh Header Fix.rar on it and then proceeed). Now click the animmerge button, it will ask for the .ms3d file and then for the .cas file, choose the .ms3d file you just converted and then the .cas file. The toll will create a new .ms3d model inside the same folder where the other files are, this one is the file where you will finally edit the animation itself.

2 - I WANT TO EDIT EXISTING ANIMATIONS FROM A MOD
    -In this case you can just jump to the next steps.

6 - EDITING THE ANIMATION
    Now that you have a file ready to be edited, you can start playing with the animation itself. Editing the animation is not complicated and the complete process is described in the first 5 minutes of this video:

Yes, I'm serious. Almost all you need to know in order to start editing animations for med 2 via milkshape 3d is explained in the most friendly way in the first 5 minutes of this video.
    TO BE CONTINUED...
    This is all I know for now, and I promise that once I lear the rest, I will update this tutorial with more information.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; January 14, 2024 at 11:01 AM.

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: A friendly tutorial to mod animations. A step by step

This is something these forums have needed for a long time. Thank you for stepping up and finally doing it. It might be a good idea to add a footnote on porting animations between mods (not requiring Milkshape) as many people will ask about that. Also a note on why you can't edit .cas animations from extracted animations packs as people will ask about editing TATW animations in impossible ways. I'm looking forward to reading the finished guide.

Nice job.
    If someone wants a tutorial for 3dsmax instead of Milkshape just tell me.
    Last edited by Jojo00182; November 30, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

Since I joined this mod community almost 10 years ago I've been hearing that animations are extremly difficult to do and requires advanced skills.

Well, in the last 2 days I found out that this is a lie.

The process of editing an animation is actually pretty simple and intuitive, and prettty FUN. I've made huge advances since I started dealing with it thanks to Jojo00182 who is teaching me what he knows.

Now Im trying to share what I learnt with the rest of the community in a easy way. No complicated unecessary explanations, no reaing of one million tutorials, we will have everything here in this thread.

Had someone did what Im doing right now since the animation modding for med2 became possible, we would now have lots of content produced by talented people along all these years.

Well... better late than never, lets go!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Just an odd thing: Some of the text lines in section 5 (no other section) don't wrap, see pic.

Some of the highlight colors have a very low contrast (orange in this pic, pink used elsewhere), making it difficult to read.

Looking at the code you used in the source code view (buttons top left in edit mode) I found this which may be the reason - an orphaned 'closing color' tag before the 'closing contentbox' tag which might be the reason:
    Quote Originally Posted by using noparse tags
    Side Note: You don't need to edit every animation listed in a set. For example, I'm working in a new animation set for Orc creatures for TATW mod, but I'm only editing the run, walk etc. animations, because the standard attack and defense ones seem to fit well for Orcs.[/COLOR][/CONTENTBOX][CONTENTBOX=6 - PREPARING THE ANIMATION FILE TO BE EDITED]Now, choose
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 01, 2019 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Just an odd thing: Some of the text lines in section 5 (no other section) don't wrap, see pic.

Some of the highlight colors have a very low contrast (orange in this pic, pink used elsewhere), making it difficult to read.

Looking at the code you used in the source code view (buttons top left in edit mode) I found this which may be the reason - an orphaned 'closing color' tag before the 'closing contentbox' tag which might be the reason:

Changed the low contrast color.

As for the text not wrapping, TWCF wont rearrange wrapped text according to the zoom Im using in my browser, try reducing the zoom of the browser and see if the text shows up.

I know it can sound dumb but this is whats happens to me, and I think the forums should fiz this zoom thing for wrapped text.
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; December 02, 2019 at 09:43 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Let me see if I can use my moderator magic to resolve the 'no wrap' - it won't be the zoom as other content boxes wrap just fine.

Edit: I copied the whole content box 5 text in source code and then removed your contentbox tags and everything wrapped, the upper code box had it's needed slider back:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Now that you have already choosen a model and know where its animations are, you need to understand the function of all these animation files and how they relate to each other. The easiest and most intuitive way to do this is to check descr_skeleton.txt, wich is now inside bare_geomod/data folder, open this file and search for the animation set (in our example, MTW2_Mace. You will find an entry for this set, like:

Code:
    type        MTW2_Mace
    parent      MTW2_Knifeman
    locomotion_table soldier
    anim   default                       data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_basepose.cas

;;;Defend

anim   eager_defend_hi_slashlr_med   data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashlr.cas   -fr  -if:3  -evade  -prob 10  -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashlr.evt
    anim   eager_defend_hi_slashrl_med   data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashrl.cas   -fr  -if:5  -evade            -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_slashrl.evt
    anim   eager_defend_hi_stab_med      data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_stab.cas      -fr  -if:3                    -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_hi_stab.evt

anim   eager_defend_lo_slashlr       data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_slashlr.cas   -fr  -if:4  -evade  -prob 10   -evt:data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_defend_lo_slashlr.evt

By reading the information in this entry, you will manage to understand the animation system and how the engine links one animation to another. For example:

Code:
    anim        stand_a_idle                                        data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_stand_A_idle.cas    
    anim        stand_a_to_ready                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_stand_A_to_ready.cas    
    anim        ready_to_stand_a                                    data/animations/MTW2_Mace/MTW2_Mace_ready_to_stand_A.cas
    In this case, we can see how some animations are intermediary states between two others.

After understanding the system, you will be able to choose the exact animations you want to edit.

Side Note: You don't need to edit every animation listed in a set. For example, I'm working in a new animation set for Orc creatures for TATW mod, but I'm only editing the run, walk etc. animations, because the standard attack and defense ones seem to fit well for Orcs.

Edit: it's the first code box or better 'the extreme length of the lines' (up to 264 characters) that does not seem to agree with the contentbox tag. You had a point with zooming - as soon as the code content extends the display width on your screen all text wrapping stops. You can actually test that by reducing the width of the browser when viewing the code in #4. That's a bummer.

The html code tag has the same problem and the PHP code tag starts wrapping the text within it's tags like regular text, so it's definitely an issue of the contentbox, not the code tags.

By the way: what happened to #3?
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 02, 2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    By the way: what happened to #3?
    I have no idea, maybe I just did some mess, hope no information was lost.

I fixed de sequence numbers anyway.

Will look in this, thank you.
    One question is it possible to port rome1 javs animation in your mod,because med2 javs animation is very poor?

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Can any of you astute gentlemen can help me? I am trying to use the new bow with the arrow animation. I need to find the tutorial. Can u or anyone else point me in the right direction. I want to add these animations to the IB2 family of mods. I am trying to find out which files need to be modified. One of my units already has the correct model modification and the correct animation code. Thanks in advance.
    midnite

ps - since I already have the correct animation files, can I just copy descr_skeleton.txt", and paste it into the data folder of a different mod for IB2?

also can I copy the files under the animations folder from the modifed mod (has bowstring animation) to my other mod that does not have the bowstring animation?
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; December 28, 2022 at 09:13 AM. Reason: changed the font colour
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post

thank you for pointing me in the right direction
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Callistonian's Avatar Ducenarius

Any word on this leo? I really want to see this guide completed and I feel like it's just one or two contentboxes away. All it needs is the info on getting the edited animation back into the game.

I have wanted to learn how to import animations from other mods into SS6.4 for years. I have imported many beautiful unit models from various other mods, but often with archers (Fast_Shortbowman_String), zweihanders, poleaxes, and other such units, SS6.4 does not support the new animations. I have tried to follow the instructions by Lifthrasir in the following tutorial https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...different-mods , but I get confused and can't quite understand what I am supposed to do. If Leo.civil.uefs or someone else could kindly offer a simple tutorial for novice modders like myself I would greatly appreciate it.

In particular at the moment, I am trying to import the animations for the taxotae archer from The Great Conflicts into Stainless Steel 6.4
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; July 06, 2020 at 03:59 AM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Briarius also made a tutorial about how to import animations several weeks ago that looks totally different and much simpler than the one that Lifthrasir made.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...nimation-packs

It appears to indicate that one can somehow paste the imported animations into a skeleton file, delete all the animation data files, and alter the cfg so that the game automatically rebuilds the animation files to include the imported animations on start-up.

However, it is still not clear to me how one is to go about much of this. Below I try to explain it as I somewhat understand part of it and see if someone can help me as to what I am not clear about.

1. Use the M2TWMT to unpack pack.dat, pack.idx, skeleton.dat, and skeleton.idx from the data/animations folder.
    2. Delete the same four files from the data/animations folder.
    3. add “ [util] no_animdb = true to .cfg file
    4. Somehow add the animations you want to import to desc_skeleton.txt using notepad.
    5. Run and game will regenerate the four files you deleted with the new animations included.

Obviously I am missing a few crucial steps here, such as where and how to put the imported animations, and exactly how to add the needed lines to the desc_skeleton.txt file. Can anyone help, please?
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; July 06, 2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

I've stopped writing this tutorial because another member was (and still is) working in a tool that will make modding animations 1000 x easier.

I can't say WHEN I will finish this tutorial, but the tool is still under development, and I will use it not only as a tool but actually as a modding system, this tutorial will be based mostly in this tool.

Time will tell...

I also found myself having a hard time getting the animation back into the game.
    And this degenerates into the fact that the game does not see the new animation, but uses the old one.

I want to replace vanilla two-handed animation with the one from Stainless Steel. How can I do this?