Thread: Need some help with the ladders/towers siege bug...

Default Need some help with the ladders/towers siege bug...

I took a long break from rotk due to this bug. I was thinking maybe it will solve automatically for me, i reinstalled windows 2 times since then, did a fresh medieval 2 total war install in C, but i can't believe i still have this annoying bug after 1 year, nearly 2..
    I know i reported this in version 2.001 or something, but i want to enjoy this game again, i am tired of this annoying bug.. I tried every solution in that thread. Isn't there anyone who encountered this bug and find a solution?

Screenshots:
    1:https://imgur.com/a/kRMKgpC
    2:https://imgur.com/a/Pt0RPO3

From what i remember this happens only to stone walls, and the tower siege is doing the same. I tried the virtual store fix, i tried to reinstall the game manyyy times, i tried to edit the files like Seether said, i tried to delete map.rnw, i tried to make a fresh install without any mods with rotk. This all the things i tried.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Default Re: Need some help with the ladders/towers siege bug...

It looks like it's related to the descr_walls.txt file of the mod. It appears that the size of towers (and ladders for that matter) assigned to the stone wall is one size too big.

Try this:

1) Open descr_walls.txt in m2tw/mods/rotk/data
    2) Search for:

Code:
    wall
    {
    	level 2
    3) Change the size of the siege towers (small, medium, large) below that section.
    4) Save your changes and see if it looks correct in the game.
    Last edited by Razor; December 02, 2019 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    It looks like it's related to the descr_walls.txt file of the mod. It appears that the size of towers (and ladders for that matter) assigned to the stone wall is one size too big.

Try this:

1) Open descr_walls.txt in m2tw/mods/rotk/data
    2) Search for:

Code:
    wall
    {
        level 2
    3) Change the size of the siege towers (small, medium, large) below that section.
    4) Save your changes and see if it looks correct in the game.
    You are a life saver man.. I swear to god.
    1: https://image.prntscr.com/image/fMdt...fZpahcQFQQ.png
    2: https://image.prntscr.com/image/lN2F...pHEdvq9aQQ.png
    The thing that i edited: https://image.prntscr.com/image/SYah...JqZqLxAnbQ.png
    The only thing i did was to delete medium, and put small. Now i put small to every wall, but this was after i saw it's working, so i am wondering if i should leave it like that: https://image.prntscr.com/image/KdeZ...o56WR6PKFQ.png with 3 and 4 siege towers levels. I guess i will leave it like that for now, and i will see if something will happen in my campaign.

Once again, THANK YOU. This solve my problem which stop me to play this beautiful mod 2 years.

I can't view the pictures that you linked in your reply (403 Forbidden), so I can't tell what and how you've edited the file exactly. If you want to check the siege towers/ladder size for all the wall levels you could always start a siege battle in custom battle and test with different wall levels.

Good to know that your bug is fixed. It was an easy fix. Too bad it caused you to quit the mod for quite some time. I don't know if this issue is still present in the most recent version of the mod (I believe I have an older version on my computer), but if it is perhaps Seether or Gigantus should look into it.

And you're welcome.
    Last edited by Razor; December 03, 2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I can't view the pictures that you linked in your reply (403 Forbidden), so I can't tell what and how you've edited the file exactly. If you want to check the siege towers/ladder size for all the wall levels you could always start a siege battle in custom battle and test with different wall levels.

Good to know that your bug is fixed. It was an easy fix. Too bad it caused you to quit the mod for quite some time. I don't know if this issue is still present in the most recent version of the mod (I believe I have an older version on my computer), but if it is perhaps Seether or Gigantus should look into it.

And you're welcome.
    Yeah i was right, i edit level 3-4 when i should have edited only level 2. So if u delete Medium from level 3-4, the ladders-town sieges will be shorter than the walls, so the only thing i did was to put medium back in the levels, and delete "medium" from level 2 wall, and put small. I tested every wall, everything works perfect.

The fix to the whole problem is to delete medium, and put small like in the photo: https://i.imgur.com/RriEOkh.png
    Don't edit those 2: https://imgur.com/a/C83NPpK(level3), https://imgur.com/a/Cf8Twr8(level 4), leave them as medium and don't put small like how i did at level 2.
    If u wonder why i write like that is to explain to the people who maybe got confused like me at the start of editing those levels.
    Once again mate, thank you for this easy fix. And one more thing, i have the last version in my pc, so i think the bug still exist, but only for some people.. Idk why. This post should help everyone with this problem though.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Are you using the current version with the patch?

Version 2.3.002 - 26 OCTOBER 2018
    - descr_walls and EDB re-included, just in case anyone else is having the ladder/tower issue

These are the settings in descr_walls as of version 4.0
    Code:
        level 0
        siege_tower_size too_small

level 1
        siege_tower_size small

level 2
        siege_tower_size medium

level 3
        siege_tower_size medium

level 4
        siege_tower_size medium
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 04, 2019 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Are you using the current version with the patch?

Version 2.3.002 - 26 OCTOBER 2018
    - descr_walls and EDB re-included, just in case anyone else is having the ladder/tower issue

These are the settings in descr_walls as of version 4.0
    Code:
        level 0
        siege_tower_size too_small

level 1
        siege_tower_size small

level 2
        siege_tower_size medium

level 3
        siege_tower_size medium

level 4
        siege_tower_size medium
    The size medium at wall level 2 is causing the bug. I have Version 3.3.000 (27 April 2019) installed and I can confirm this "bug" at least in that version. I changed medium to small and everything is alright.
    So unless somewhere inbetween version 3.3.000 and 4.0.000 the settlements have been modified, wall level 2 should have siege_tower_size set to small, not medium.
    Last edited by Razor; December 04, 2019 at 09:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Those were the values from the 4.0 full install which includes all patch stuff up to then - curious that we didn't have a report.

Got the same value in my Bare Geomod installation with level 4 large so I better check there as well as I don't think RotK's walls have custom heights.

Edit: tested all settlement levels in BG and the entries were fine.

Edit2: re-installed RotK 4.0 plus patch one and did custom battles for levels 1 to 4. All ladder sizes were correct, see pics. Levels 3 and 4 use the same wall model. It would appear the ladder problem is restriced to the previous version.

Last edited by Gigantus; December 05, 2019 at 06:10 AM.

Well, obviously Bare Geomod doesn't quite use unique Chinese settlements and possibly something went 'wrong' in that department? Does the mismatch of siege towers and ladders with the walls appear in your version of RoTK as well then? And, what does your descr_walls.txt say?

Blog Entries

Edited after your post with RotK results

That clears it all up.