Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 139

Thread: What does Christmas mean to you?

  1. #101

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    A PhD in Systematic Theology? I might have to get one of those. It must be great to call yourself a Doctor and only have to do an exam where every answer is either "God", "Jesus" or "God did it".

    @Sogdog. Mate, you won't get any sensible answers. If someone believes in a Magic Wishing Fairy over science and cold hard facts, then a few questions on an internet forum are unlikely to sway them.
    Last edited by TheLeft; December 17, 2019 at 05:04 AM.

  2. #102
    basics's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland, UK.
    Posts
    9,311

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    TheLeft,

    Is it not a cold hard fact that Jesus Christ was born. lived and died among us? One doesn't have to be a doctor or scientist to appreciate that as a truth. The difference between us is that you have never met Him as I have so all your comments are pure assumption on your part. If all that was predicted about Christ was not true then why in time did it happen according to these predictions? Salvation through Jesus Christ beats any science that you think you know of, why? Because Jesus Christ is our Creator something you'll only appreciate once you die. Where's the sense in putting your eternal life in jeopardy?

  3. #103

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    TheLeft,

    Is it not a cold hard fact that Jesus Christ was born. lived and died among us?
    Sure, but the fact that it was documented that he existed doesn't make him divine. After all, what's to stop me claiming any other historical figure as being Divine if we can proof they existed?

    Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    One doesn't have to be a doctor or scientist to appreciate that as a truth. The difference between us is that you have never met Him as I have so all your comments are pure assumption on your part. If all that was predicted about Christ was not true then why in time did it happen according to these predictions? Salvation through Jesus Christ beats any science that you think you know of, why? Because Jesus Christ is our Creator something you'll only appreciate once you die. Where's the sense in putting your eternal life in jeopardy?
    Because I'm just not gullible enough to just accept things as truth with any form of proof. The Bible, while it is an interesting historical document, isn't scientific proof or cold hard fact. The ironic thing is that you would tell an adherent of any other religion that their beliefs were wrong, and they would do the same to you. When the basis of someone's beliefs are "It exists because I think it does", then that's not factually based. If religion was fact, then everyone the world over would accept it without question and there would be no disagreement over the existence of the divine.

    The minute someone can actually prove the existence of God scientifically then I'll be on board, until then... I'm out, sorry.

  4. #104
    Sogdog's Avatar Centenarius
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    851

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Mythology and fiction are entirely different things. The key is in the intention. Fiction is intended to be un-true or un-real from the outset. Myth is not.
    And yes, being the foundation of a culture does make them real...to that culture. You're confusing "real" and "truth" with "factual" and "literal". Literal truth is not necessarily the same as mythic truth.

    mythical
    adjective
    UK /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.kəl/ US /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.kəl/
    (also mythic, UK /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.k/ US )

    existing only in stories:
    the mythical island of Atlantis
    a mythical hero
    dragons and other mythical creatures

    imaginary or not real:

  5. #105

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogdog View Post
    mythical
    adjective
    UK /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.kəl/ US /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.kəl/
    (also mythic, UK /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.k/ US )

    existing only in stories:
    the mythical island of Atlantis
    a mythical hero
    dragons and other mythical creatures

    imaginary or not real:
    MaximiIian's view is consistent with the concepts of myth and reality as they are considered in the social sciences, particularly anthropology and sociology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  6. #106
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogdog View Post
    mythical
    adjective
    UK /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.kəl/ US /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.kəl/
    (also mythic, UK /ˈmɪθ.ɪ.k/ US )

    existing only in stories:
    the mythical island of Atlantis
    a mythical hero
    dragons and other mythical creatures

    imaginary or not real:
    But Maximilian remains correct. Any Athenian would know Plato's Atlantis is a fictional allegory just as the ring of Gyges (why no History channel shows get made about I can't figure). But the Myth that Athena's sacred snake lived under the acropolis and ate little cakes took down to it was realistically story and at the same time real to the Athenian's. Sufficiently so that either out of patriotism or a bribe from Themistocles (I favor the former) when the Priestess reported the cakes uneaten to the assembly as a sign that Athena favored the plan of Themistocles it was considered a valid argument and piece of evidence in favor of getting out of dodge and trusting the wooden wall at sea.

    Now if you want to be a hard core atheist and trust absoultly only observable facts in the reductionist form than both are just fiction, but in practice that is not true. One is a myth created and revered by a culture and one is a philosopher's allegory (which knowing what a git Plato could be that fact that it is treated as germ of truth myth now must amuse him endlessly in the next life - if there is one). In any case it is important to differentiate myths vs fiction.
    Last edited by conon394; December 18, 2019 at 07:15 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  7. #107
    MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Posts
    12,876

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sogdog View Post
    existing only in stories
    The meaning of those stories and the intent behind the creation of those stories matters.

    As has been said by sumskilz and conon, my usage is consistent with how mythology is defined in the social sciences. I would expect that someone who reveres science as much as you claim to, would at least attempt to adhere to scientific definitions. But instead you seem intent on cherry-picking definitions when and where it suits your preconceptions.

  8. #108
    basics's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland, UK.
    Posts
    9,311

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    Sure, but the fact that it was documented that he existed doesn't make him divine. After all, what's to stop me claiming any other historical figure as being Divine if we can proof they existed?



    Because I'm just not gullible enough to just accept things as truth with any form of proof. The Bible, while it is an interesting historical document, isn't scientific proof or cold hard fact. The ironic thing is that you would tell an adherent of any other religion that their beliefs were wrong, and they would do the same to you. When the basis of someone's beliefs are "It exists because I think it does", then that's not factually based. If religion was fact, then everyone the world over would accept it without question and there would be no disagreement over the existence of the divine.

    The minute someone can actually prove the existence of God scientifically then I'll be on board, until then... I'm out, sorry.
    TheLeft,

    That Jesus inferred that He was/is Divine by the signs and wonders He did must surely resonate a spark in your mind that His claims are true because all the miracles that He did defies science in every way?

  9. #109

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    TheLeft,

    That Jesus inferred that He was/is Divine by the signs and wonders He did must surely resonate a spark in your mind that His claims are true because all the miracles that He did defies science in every way?
    Did they? Did they defy science? Especially bearing mind that we have no scientific data for these supposed 'miracles'. We only have the Bible, which is hardly a reputable scientific textbook. It's not logical to claim that if we have no scientific data to study.

    Going by your reasoning so far there is a pretty good case for declaring David Blaine to be divine.

    1. We know he existed
    2. He performed public 'miracles'
    Last edited by TheLeft; December 19, 2019 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling

  10. #110
    Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,659

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    Did they? Did they defy science? Especially bearing mind that we have no scientific data for these supposed 'miracles'. We only have the Bible, which is hardly a reputable scientific textbook. It's not logical to claim that if we have no scientific data to study.

    Going by your reasoning so far there is a pretty good case for declaring David Blaine to be divine.

    1. We know he existed
    2. He performed public 'miracles'
    Science, by definition, rules out the possibility of miracles. Your point is self-defeating.

  11. #111

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    Science, by definition, rules out the possibility of miracles. Your point is self-defeating.
    Which is why I wrote supposed 'miracles'. Do try and keep up.

  12. #112
    Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,659

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    The scientific standard does not entertain miracles at all: they cannot be supposed. Arguing that there is "no scientific data" for events which, by definition, cannot be proven by scientific data, is self-defeating.

  13. #113
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    14,306

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Go back 70 years and you can replace miracles with black holes. Go back 140 years and you can replace them with radio waves. Go back 40 years and you can replace them with exoplanets and gravitational waves.

    Dismissing something simply because it cannot be proven by current science is self-defeating.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!


  14. #114

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by ep1c_fail View Post
    The scientific standard does not entertain miracles at all: they cannot be supposed. Arguing that there is "no scientific data" for events which, by definition, cannot be proven by scientific data, is self-defeating.
    That also means that these supposed miracles don't "defy science".
    Optio, Legio I Latina

  15. #115
    Cope's Avatar 777777777777777
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,659

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    That also means that these supposed miracles don't "defy science".
    It means that miracles cannot exist by scientific standards.

  16. #116
    basics's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland, UK.
    Posts
    9,311

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    Did they? Did they defy science? Especially bearing mind that we have no scientific data for these supposed 'miracles'. We only have the Bible, which is hardly a reputable scientific textbook. It's not logical to claim that if we have no scientific data to study.

    Going by your reasoning so far there is a pretty good case for declaring David Blaine to be divine.

    1. We know he existed
    2. He performed public 'miracles'
    TheLeft,

    No, we have books written by eye witnesses which we call the Bible. So yes, His exploits in the miraculous field would have been pretty public. It was these signs and wonders that terrified the Sanhedrin leading to His death on the cross.

  17. #117

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    According to the Bible.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

  18. #118
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Go back 70 years and you can replace miracles with black holes. Go back 140 years and you can replace them with radio waves. Go back 40 years and you can replace them with exoplanets and gravitational waves.
    A few holes there and not all black.

    First of course Exo planets go back to Democritus at least as a theoretical proposed reality.

    Radio waves. Ahh see that is the thing. If you give me simple instructions and I can build a crystal radio receiver and hear people on them over and over again. No magic nor sorcery. A reproducible result of a reproducible technology. The Bible is unfortunately not reproducible for effect. It does require blind faith with that opens the question of competing blind faith. Also of course once I can understand use and explain radio waves a lot of the stories of the bible and man in the sky must tend to be deemed as parables at best since they objectively do not describe the real world nor how it works.

    ----

    No, we have books written by eye witnesses which we call the Bible. So yes, His exploits in the miraculous field would have been pretty public. It was these signs and wonders that terrified the Sanhedrin leading to His death on the cross.
    Well certainly no the OT there basics. You I suppose mean to say the NT but even that is second hand and unsupported.
    Last edited by conon394; December 20, 2019 at 07:59 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  19. #119
    basics's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Scotland, UK.
    Posts
    9,311

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    conon394,

    Have you ever read the Bible? The Old Testament is full of His miraculous exploits never mind the creation of all things inside and outside this planet. My wife and I have seen first and second hand miracles and their results. If prayers themselves are not miracles then why do they get answered with either a positive or even negative result? Christmas is a time of joy because Jesus Christ our Creator and God came into the world as prophesied way back to the garden event so why do you keep making such a miserable attempt at doing what you are trying to do in decrying it? Glad I won't be in your home on Christmas Day.

  20. #120
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    13,354

    Default Re: What does Christmas mean to you?

    Have you ever read the Bible?
    Yes in Greek and Latin and better translations than your favorite.

    The Old Testament is full of His miraculous exploits
    And petty and cruel ones as well. But the problem is so is the myths of other people as well.


    never mind the creation of all things inside and outside this planet
    Which frankly I sure the really erudite men who worked on the NT probably wished they could dump it. Since it looks a lot like the simple narrative of bronze-iron age sheep farmers, that got crudely edited to monotheism when somebody wanted to be different (or lock in a privilege).

    My wife and I have seen first and second hand miracles and their results.
    You personal faith is well personal, and how you view it. But it remains faith, not a external fact. I can't possibly understand how you define a miracle that you have witnessed.

    If prayers themselves are not miracles then why do they get answered with either a positive or even negative result?
    Are they answered that is. If you pray for health or life there is no possible way to know if you were in fact heard or answered. Or if you saved by random chance or those around you or some other deity whit spare time.

    Christmas is a time of joy because Jesus Christ our Creator and God came into the world as prophesied way back to the garden event so why do you keep making such a miserable attempt at doing what you are trying to do in decrying it?
    Again because a petulant god created the misery Jesus had to try to eventually and partially come to save some people from. But see below I really do find the OT an unconvincing mess. But it clearly inspires a fair amount of faith. I can respect that when that leads to good and decent people. But however I feel no reason to not say what I think in this case on discussion board.

    Glad I won't be in your home on Christmas Day.
    You sir misapprehend me. As I have said I am agnostic not atheist(*). Thus my Christmas is rather fun, I think you would enjoy being at my home and be welcome to come. I would do nothing but gladly bow my head in silence and link hands if you wanted to pray over the meal or the moment nor is a day of celebration is a day not to squandered on TWC level posting nor baiting my libertarian aunt, etc. As I see it many Atheists have achieved their own faith which is likely why they are often acrimonious. I simply have not, not yours or any of the others based on the Bible, or other options they simply do not speak to me. I am left there for as a Stoic I suppose in terms of trying to live a good life and a decent one to my fellow humans (and I hope if I come to faith the will be sufficient as a track record). I will be thus in the same boat with Socrates speculating about but not fearing my end and hope there is a something interesting because its obvious that we (humans) have been thinking about the end since we started telling stories.

    * I realize that is open to ridicule as a fence sitter. But I think if approached honestly it has it own dignity especially if you accept that well if it turns out say Mohamed was right I guess I'm hosed but am willing to face the results.
    Last edited by conon394; December 21, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •