Thread: Moral Guide to the Prisoner's Dilemma

Default Moral Guide to the Prisoner's Dilemma

Considered one of the most consequential models in game theory, decision-making, and modern ethics, the Prisoners’ Dilemma explains how you and I might not cooperate, even if it is generally considered the most moral thing to do.

The most disturbing part of the prisoners’ dilemma of course is that rational-self-interest proves incompatible with cooperation, leading to both prisoners to betraying the other.

No matter what the other person decides, (without any do overs) each prisoner in a prisoner’s dilemma is better off confessing then remaining silent. But the outcome obtained when both prisoners confess is demonstrably worse for each prisoner than the outcome they would have had had they both cooperated and remained silent.

Ethically, the game represents a conflict between rational self-interest, trust, and cooperation. The move corresponding to selfish behavior helps us, no matter what the other person decides (confessing can only tie or win), while the move corresponding to altruism hurts us (staying silent can only tie or lose). Hence, a dilemma where those moral principles we might hold dear (such as friendship and fairness) are not always aligned well with the best choices we can make.

However, before deciding what to do in a Prisoner’s Dilemma, it needs to be said that there are no ideal solutions to the Prisoner’s Dilemma, there are only optimal strategies. The outcome is also determined by choices chosen by both players (not just the decisions of one individual actor) whereas these choices correspond to the payoff matrix presented by the game itself.

To start off then, when assigning blame for a real-life Prisoner’s Dilemma, a very clever ethics lawyer could very well argue, “It wasn’t my fault your honor, it was because the game presented me with no good options!”

Obviously, the Prisoner’s Dilemma is not an exact model for hopeless situations. In the real world, people are not always rational actors and will not always compromise their principles. It is also demonstrably true that people are hard-wired to concepts of fairness and have a tendency to attempt cooperation when faced with an immediate problem – especially one that threatens a group. Institutions -like government and law – also try to arbitrate the effects of many things we would consider a Prisoner’s Dilemma (such as violence, crime, arbitration, exchange, and self-defense). You may even argue still that all morals – to include choices presented in the Prisoner’s Dilemma- are relative to the individual, and of course, no matter what you decide, you would be right (as would everyone else).

Having said that, the Prisoner’s Dilemma is useful for showing that concepts of right and wrong are not always matched well with good and best. This very human problem, an ugly feature of complex environments, should give us pause. By trusting others -and sticking to our guns-, we courageously make ourselves vulnerable, and can be hurt for it.

Evolution of Trust (Online Game): https://ncase.me/trust/

Strategies for The Prisoner's Dilemma (Real Life)

Trust is Not Always a Good Thing
    When a stranger betrays me, I’m okay. When a friend betrays me, I’m not. Trust, therefore, is not always a good thing. Clearly with trust comes an expectation we might unfairly place on other people. No matter who they are, friends or family, people will always be fallible. Its important to remember these imperfections, and our own, when dealing with the aftermath of any Prisoner’s Dilemma.

Surround Yourself With Good People
    Though its important to have realistic expectations about human relationships (especially trust), the best way to prevent a Prisoners' Dilemma is to still surround yourself with good people. While this point recognizes that hopeless situations can bring out the worse in anyone, true friends -and courageous people- will try to stay with you to the end.

Appeal to Authority
    A Prisoner's Dilemma happens when there is a strong incentive for other people to break their word. In order to fix this, once must change the situation. If possible then, appeal to authority who can apply different rules or alter these incentives.

Refuse to Play
    While the Prisoner’s Dilemma defines no win situations as a binary choice between A and B, in the real world, we know we can always opt out. Just as AI forever paused a losing game of Tetris, we can do the same.

Man is an End to Himself
    Say what you want about Ayn Rand, but the moral argument for rational self-interest (to include betraying) is open to anyone in a Prisoners' Dilemma.

Not Your Fault
    The point made by the ethics lawyer. If hung up on the deeper meaning of a Prisoner’s Dilemma, remember it probably wasn’t your fault. In a no-win situation, true blame often lies with the problem.

Don’t Make it Worse
    A great tip for life. If ever unsure of what to do in a no-win situation, a viable strategy is to not make it worse.

Tit for Tat
    When played multiple times or allowed do overs, it has been demonstrated that Tit-for-Tat is the ideal strategy for the iterated version of the Prisoner’s Dilemma. The strategy shows proven advantages to forgiveness and not holding grudges, but at the same time it allows retaliation so nice people will not be taken advantage of.

Acceptance, Be Flexible, and Move On
    Deal with the now. Try not to go back to what was or would have been.

Life is Too Short
    Regret will always happen. After making a regretful decision, a viable strategy may be to minimize the effect it will have on life. If nothing else, don’t waste any more time dealing with a Prisoner’s Dilemma.

Break the Glass Options
    The option of last resort. Though the world will disagree, the argument that you can do whatever you want -by accepting the consequences- will always be there.

Moral Algebra
    Sometimes, when making horrible decisions, it may be helpful to reduce principles to cost vs. benefits. Crappy, and regretful, but allowed if the intent is a better outcome.

I’m Sorry
    Finally, should you ever find yourself in a real Prisoner’s Dilemma, I do want to tell you that I’m sorry. These situations -as shown- can be unbelievably challenging, and this last point, like the others, is meant to help.
    Last edited by Dick Cheney.; November 25, 2019 at 01:02 PM.
    Allied to the House of Hader
    Member of the Cheney/Berlusconi Pact

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Moral Guide to the Prisoner's Dilemma

I started on that game of trust just in order to check the link whether it was spammy or broke the ToS.

It turned out to be awesome.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.