Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tweeting politics and science.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Tweeting politics and science.

A whole baby woolly mammoth has been found frozen in the permafrost of north-western Canada - the first such discovery in North America.

The mummified ice age mammoth is thought to be more than 30,000 years old. It was found by gold miners in Yukon's Klondike region on Tuesday.
    The area of the find belongs to the Tr'ondek Hwech'in First Nation.
    The Yukon government compared it to Russia's discovery of a baby mammoth in the permafrost of Siberia in 2007.
    It said it was "the most complete mummified mammoth found in North America", and only the second such find in the world.
    The baby, thought to be female, has been named Nun cho ga, meaning "big baby animal" in the Han language spoken by Native Americans in the area.

"Nun cho ga is beautiful and one of the most incredible mummified ice age animals ever discovered in the world," said Yukon palaeontologist Grant Zazula.
    It is about the same size as the Siberian baby Lyuba found in 2007, which was some 42,000 years old, the Yukon government said in a press release.
    It is the best-preserved woolly mammoth discovered in North America. The partial remains of a mammoth calf, named Effie, were found in 1948 at a gold mine in neighbouring Alaska.
    CBC News says Nun cho ga was unearthed after a miner called his boss over to examine something that was hit by his bulldozer in the mud at Eureka Creek, south of Dawson City.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61936818
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 26, 2022 at 06:20 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Clone the damn thing, more mammoths to da world!

- A

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Clone the damn thing, more mammoths to da world!

- A
    Did a velociraptor write this?

I do feel to attraction of recreating extinct lifeforms, but im sure there's enough pratical barriers that we won't have to face the ethical questions for some time.

Then again maybe we should sort out the ethics now. We are struggling with questions about people varying their gender and appearance, longer after the tech appeared.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

They wouldn't release the animals into the world of course and there would most likely not be nearly enough genetic material to artificially create populations that could survive the depletion of the gene pool (inbreeding). I don't think it's ethically problematic at all for that reason. It wouldn't have an impact on the ecosystem, even if a few animals escaped from a future "Jurassic Park". Of course they might cause casualties, but beyond that, what is the problem.

It's not even different with regard to extinct unicellular lifeforms, because high security facilities are prepared to handle that material and it's not hard to produce the needed antibiotics, but viral genomes would absolutely be a huge and terrifying security concern. But I guess ancient viral RNA is impossible to recover, so that's probably not gonna happen. I mean an ancient virus escaping, bypassing all immune systems, that could really be the end, couldn't it? Given the high population density in human society nowadays.
    Last edited by swabian; July 12, 2022 at 04:37 PM.

Tl;dw: GG
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

What would be the ethical objections to brining back a previously-extinct species anyways? If anything, experience of work on that alone could add miles of research to causes like prevention of same thing happening to contemporary species like cheetahs, as well as treating some inheritable diseases for both humans and other life forms.

Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    Some of those effects may be real for all I know, but if so, they are almost certainly incidental, because almost everything else that guy said was wrong.

A few examples…

The reason why there is relative consensus about the dating of the great pyramids is because all the streams of evidence line up – historical, stratigraphic, typological, and radiocarbon. Not just radiocarbon dating the artifacts found within, but radiocarbon dating of the pyramids themselves, contrary to what is claimed in the video. The guy also claims that the outer limestone surfaces of the pyramids were perfect or something to effect, which is not really a claim that can be substantiated since almost all of the limestone is now missing. However, the masonry underneath is far from perfect, with gaps between stones that are as wide as 15 cm in some places. These gaps were filled with a mixture of small stones and gypsum mortar. Embedded deep inside the structure and sealed within the mortar are particles of organic material, most of which are from the wood that was burned in order to heat the gypsum when making the mortar. These particles have been radiocarbon dated on several occasions. The very earliest, back in 1984, produced dates that were a few hundred years earlier than expected based on all the other lines of evidence, but not anything like the several thousands of years earlier hypothesized in the video. It is now known why the earliest radiocarbon dates were a bit off. To some extent, it was the lack of data needed for proper calibration at the time, but mostly it was due to old wood effect. The wood used was from long-lived species that also likely existed as wooden objects for a long period of time before being recycled as firewood to heat the gypsum. This is very common in areas where wood is less plentiful, which is why today short-lived samples are used whenever possible.

The pyramids could have been aligned using rope, stakes in the ground, a plumb line, water, and the sun. No advanced technology would have been necessary. A right angle can be made by tying knots in rope at equal lengths, like this:

In any case, the pyramids’ foundations aren’t as perfect as claimed. As I recall, the length of the west side of the Pyramid of Khufu is about 14 cm longer than the east, so they messed up somewhere, but the pyramid is big enough relative to the error that it’s not noticeable.
    Last edited by sumskilz; October 09, 2022 at 01:29 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

You just had to spoil the fun, didn’t you :p The guy in question usually does a good job of explaining the facts after he finishes with the “theory,” but I guess he’s a little invested in this one. I did find this other curiosity:

https://scholarworks.bridgeport.edu/...pdf?sequence=3

Several similar claims are made. Maybe this was part of his source material, because I couldn’t find any other reputable sites alleging it to be a viable theory.

*sigh*

I think it's finally time I come clean. I made the pyramids. Though I'm sure Youssef of the compsci department is a veritable source refuting me. lol

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Hey what was the old name for the science forum

Also hey ponti
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Biggest catfish ever caught in the Rhine:

2,62 meter long and 100 kg heavy.

Angler zieht 100 Kilo schweren Riesen-Wels aus dem Rhein (tz.de)
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 27, 2022 at 01:43 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Hey what was the old name for the science forum

Also hey ponti

Athenaeum
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Athenaeum
    Ahh yeah, I remember it being a cool word
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

https://www.yahoo.com/news/identical...202028501.html

Twins earn 1.5M$ after been accused to cheat by signaling, because a psychologist said they were not cheating but their similar replies could be because of their brains telepathic connection.
    Seems totally legit (I am sarcastic)
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Straight-tusked elephants (Palaeoloxodon antiquus) were the largest terrestrial mammals of the Pleistocene, present in Eurasian landscapes between 800,000 and 100,000 years ago. The occasional co-occurrence of their skeletal remains with stone tools has generated rich speculation about the nature of interactions between these elephants and Pleistocene humans: Did hominins scavenge on elephants that died a natural death or maybe even hunt some individuals? Our archaeozoological study of the largest P. antiquus assemblage known, excavated from 125,000-year-old lake deposits in Germany, shows that hunting of elephants weighing up to 13 metric tons was part of the cultural repertoire of Last Interglacial Neanderthals there, over >2000 years, many dozens of generations. The intensity and nutritional yields of these well-documented butchering activities, combined with previously reported data from this Neumark-Nord site complex, suggest that Neanderthals were less mobile and operated within social units substantially larger than commonly envisaged.

Hunting and processing of straight-tusked elephants 125.000 years ago: Implications for Neanderthal behavior | Science Advances

This study comes to the conclusion that Neanderthals lived in bigger social communities than usually believed as they hunted for generations the biggest elephant species, which bulls had a height of 13,12335958 ft and weight of 13 tons.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

“Another conspiracy theory that turned out to be true. I guess Men in Black got it right”. Robert F. Kennedy Jr
    Alien spacecraft allegations suggest the Pentagon has approved conspiracy theories about itself- The Conversation

If true, I'd like to know who their gods are.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex Magistrate

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    “Another conspiracy theory that turned out to be true. I guess Men in Black got it right”. Robert F. Kennedy Jr
    What I got from the article is the authors of the article are wondering whether the UFO rumours (including the supposed revelations mentioned in the article) are a deliberate attempt at misinformation by the pentagon.

In other words, if anything it is sceptical about the veracity of the UFO rumours themselves and suspects Pentagon has ulterior motives to make us believe they are sitting on undisclosed evidence without providing any.

In other words, they think it's all a bluff.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Indeed.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty