Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tweeting politics and science.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: Tweeting politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Just a polite caution not to assume someone's comprehension skills. OMG Iskar thats a little insensitive, your interlocutor may identify as Orange.
    You mean he thinks he's William III?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    You mean he thinks he's William III?
    Don't spell it out man. I wanted to hint at the Supreme Insult, not say it. You can get a permanban for this sorta thing, you just have to suggest it, eg "I can smell snert" or "mfw tulips smh".
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Don't spell it out man. I wanted to hint at the Supreme Insult, not say it. You can get a permanban for this sorta thing, you just have to suggest it, eg "I can smell snert" or "mfw tulips smh".
    Ah, pardon me, dat wist ik niet.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Ah, pardon me, dat wist ik niet.
    Hahaha...

...wait...does that mean...

...you're one of them!

...you're one of them!
    One isogloss short, to be precise (the ich-ik transition). The sentence would have been "dat wüsst isch nit" instead in my dialect.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

If you enjoy watching breeding birds (mostly owls):

https://www.vivara.de/webcams
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    If you enjoy watching breeding birds (mostly owls):

https://www.vivara.de/webcams
    Rule 34
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Rule 34
    Not that kind of enjoyment.^^

Scientific interest.

Default Re: Tweeting politics and science.

I found this interview quite interesting:

https://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/...cy-republicans

A new Sauropoda with the name Australotitan Cooperensis was found in Australia:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...back/100196458

Edit:

And: Bdelloid rotifers have been revived after 24000 years frown in permafrost:

https://www.cell.com/current-biology...showall%3Dtrue
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 08, 2021 at 07:34 AM.

Macaques at Japan reserve get first alpha female in 70-year history

Yakei took top spot after roughing up Sanchu, the alpha male who had been leader of ‘troop B’ on the island of Kyushu for five years

In a rarely seen phenomenon in the simian world, a nine-year-old female known as Yakei has become the boss of a 677-strong troop of Japanese macaque monkeys at a nature reserve on the island of Kyushu in Japan.

Yakei’s path to the top began in April when she beat up her own mother to become the alpha female of the troop at the Takasakiyama natural zoological garden in Oita city. While that would have been the pinnacle for most female monkeys, Yakei decided to throw her 10kg weight around among the males.
    In late June, she challenged and roughed up Sanchu, the 31-year-old alpha male who had been leader of “troop B” at the reserve for five years.

Surprised wardens at Takasakiyama, where there has never been a female monkey boss in the reserve’s 70-year history, carried out a “peanut test” on 30 June, putting out nuts for the group and seeing who ate first. Sanchu backed away and gave Yakei first dibs on the treat, confirming her alpha status.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...0-year-history

Now i know, why males always eat the whole peanut plate empty in a bar at dates.

Praeses

I am deeply suspicious this is some "ligma" style joke, where the punch line is "yeah she got him by the nuts" or something.

That Bdelloid find is something else. Its an epidemiologist's fever dream that the next killer plague will be Justinian's Boogaloo or some other classic rerun, brought back from an arctic oil rig.

A few months ago i have read some scientists want to explore the Spanish Flu virus from some dead persons, buried in the Arctic.

A Trumpstyle idea...
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; August 12, 2021 at 06:04 AM.

Praeses

A few months ago i have read some scientists want to explore the Spanish Flu virus from some dead persons, buried in the Arctic.
    Boom! Goldblum!

Look if its done properly that'd be potentially helpful, but we've seen how leaky research labs are in fact and fiction.

A Trumpstyle idea...
    I don't think Trump has influenced any serious scientific research. I mean if I've deciphered his jabbering correctly he's overheard someone else talking about science but so has the goldfish in the Whitehouse pond. Neither one has relevant "ideas" per se on the subject.

In other news, Australians have ruined ducks.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    In other news, Australians have ruined ducks.
    THEY HAD IT COMING! Bloody fools.

...wait...

Reminds me of this old Australian tourism ad:

And this hilarious parody of it: (content warning)

Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Praeses

Pro, that first ad was approved by a bumbling Tourism Australia suit who is now our Prime Minister. Apparently he managed to reduce tourist numbers (especially in the huge Japanese demographic, apparently they have "manners" and don't enjoy "braindead crudity" or something), and almost inconceivable blunder...so we elected him leader....

In other news, (and apologies if there's already a thread on this buried somewhere) there's been another eruption in the Canary Islands, on La Palma, leading to evacuations and destruction of property.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58620555

I recall there was a paper some decades back positing the possibility of a landslide generated Tsunami threatening the North Atlantic basin.

https://websites.pmc.ucsc.edu/~ward/..._Palma_grl.pdf

I assume this is a marginal probability scenario, but my knowledge of earth sciences is pretty poor. Should our fellow posters around the North Atlantic be stocking up on flotation devices just in case?

“The NIF results are a really big deal,” says fusion physicist Peter Norreys of the University of Oxford, who was not part of the studies. “They show that the pursuit of an inertial fusion reactor is a realistic possibility for the future and not built upon difficult and insurmountable physics.” Plasma physicist Kate Lancaster of the University of York in England, who was also not involved in the research, agrees. “This is an incredible achievement, which is a culmination of a decade of careful, incremental research,” she says.

Researchers demonstrated the feasibility of starting fusion this way back in the 1970s. But getting to the burning-plasma point has been a slow process, full of technical hurdles and setbacks. “For many decades, researchers have been able to get reactions to occur by using a lot of external heating to get the plasma hot,” says Alex Zylstra of LLNL, a member of the NIF team. “In a burning plasma, which we have now created for the first time, the fusion reactions themselves provide most of the heating.” Those conditions last only for about 100 trillionths of a second before the plasma’s energy is dissipated.

“Now that NIF has demonstrated that [burning plasma conditions] can be done in a controlled laboratory setting,” Norreys says, solutions to the remaining challenges “need to be studied in the coming years with renewed vigor.”

“The challenge is [pivoting] from ‘Is the physics even possible?’ to ‘Can we engineer a viable system that has sufficient lifetime and that is safe enough and do all those things at an affordable price?’” Tynan says. “That’s still the big open question in front of the research community.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...l-fusion-power
    Exciting news.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Friggin alchemy?
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII