Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Tweeting politics and science.

Default Re: Tweeting politics.

The ability of Huawei to do any business at all in this industry — given the scope of the deficiencies documented by the British experts – is frankly inconceivable. One would hope that the findings laid out in this Report will be digested and understood by the relevant governments and potential customers. The Germans, for example, are said to be “sitting on the fence” with respect to Huawei. It is hard to imagine a German systems engineer reading the UK Report and reaching any but a negative conclusion on the deployability of Huawei equipment.

The sexy headlines today about Huawei have to do with the U.S./China dispute, but the real problems are so much more basic, prosaic, operational, and unforgiving. American and Chinese leaders could decide tomorrow to settle their differences, “drop the charges,” and eliminate the geopolitical aspects of the controversy. But you can’t wave away “several hundred vulnerabilities” and “poor and sometimes non-existent” processes of basic technology management. No tech company I know would survive this damning report card. The outcome here is predictable.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgec...eir-customers/
    An interesting take that somehow appeared in Forbes today over a year after the related report was published. The interesting part to me is that the UK govt publicly announced the decision to move forward with plans for Huawei’s role in UK telecom infrastructure, months after the report’s fifth installment had specifically warned, “The number and severity of vulnerabilities discovered…is a particular concern. [The Board] currently is not confident that Huawei is able to remediate the significant problems it faces. ”
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; June 04, 2020 at 11:25 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

It’s funny until one recalls “woke” is becoming an enforced ideological requirement.

Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

If you still feel like the world hasn’t gone mad, recall that this was ok to be funny 12 years ago.

Feel triggered? You’ve already been programmed. I confess it grated on my ears, and for a brief moment, I felt a sudden compulsion to remind everybody Africa is one of the fastest growing economic regions in the world, and that the US is behind the eight ball there vs China, etc etc. And then I remembered it’s a joke and I laughed. Phew.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The woke video is funny until you remember equal protection legislation is being, and has been repealed.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled blackpill programming to bring you this fleeting ray of sunshine:
    The U.S. Air Force has secretly designed, built and flown at least one prototype of its enigmatic next-generation fighter jet, the service’s top acquisition official confirmed to Defense News on Sept. 14.

The development is certain to shock the defense community, which last saw the first flight of an experimental fighter during the battle for the Joint Strike Fighter contract 20 years ago. With the Air Force’s future fighter program still in its infancy, the rollout and successful first flight of a demonstrator was not expected for years.

“We’ve already built and flown a full-scale flight demonstrator in the real world, and we broke records in doing it,” Will Roper told Defense News in an exclusive interview ahead of the Air Force Association’s Air, Space and Cyber Conference. “We are ready to go and build the next-generation aircraft in a way that has never happened before.”

“We’re going after the most complicated systems that have ever been built, and checked all the boxes with this digital technology. In fact, [we’ve] not just checked the boxes, [we’ve] demonstrated something that’s truly magical.”

“I had some tough audiences on this. I’ve had people that I’ve been told want to cut the program or they don’t understand why we need it,” he acknowledged. “But I have not left a single one of those briefings with anything other than [lawmakers saying]: ‘This is the future, we ought to do it now. And why aren’t we going faster?’ And the answer [to] why we aren’t going faster is simply money. We can push the accelerator down more today because the digital technology allows it.”

https://www.defensenews.com/breaking...e-fighter-jet/
    Granted, cutting edge military tech won’t address the victim culture that turns us against each other, nor the radical leftist partisans campaigning to hamstring national defense, defund police, close all federal prisons, make it easier for people who can’t afford houses to buy them anyway (because that worked out so well last time), indoctrinate school kids with racial grievance narratives, and spread ghetto housing all across American communities. That said, it’s always nice to see some good old American know how in the midst of it all.

6th Gen fighter technology is slated for a rough 2030 timeline. A prototype already is impressive, and we are most likely a half, to a full decade ahead of our European counterparts. Meanwhile, the Chinese are still stuck with an incomplete 5th gen fighter, that's nevertheless in production, and the Russian Su-57 is just a glorified 4.5 gen fighter. We could call it a 4.9++ gen fighter I suppose, it's a good plane, but it's substantively inferior to the F-35 in ways that matter.

“Digital engineering is lowering overhead for production and assembly [so] you do not have to have huge facilities, huge workforces [and] expensive tooling,” Roper said on a video conference call with reporters after his presentation. “It is letting us take aircraft assembly back to where we were in the [19]70s and prior to it — back when we had 10 or more companies who could build airplanes for the United States Air Force, because you could do it in hangar-like facilities with small, but very good teams, of engineers and mechanics. We're going back to that. It's super exciting.”

https://www.defenseone.com/technolog...af-jet/168479/
    To me, this is the most exciting aspect of these revelations, assuming the implications are what he says.

If it reverses the gradual consolidation of the Defense industry that we've seen over the last 20-30 years, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Mountain View Post
    If it reverses the gradual consolidation of the Defense industry that we've seen over the last 20-30 years, I'm all for it.
    Exactly. My opinion, well founded or otherwise, has come to be that the US’ military dominance is doomed to plateau as the defense industry dwindles to a handful of huge corporations, fiscal constraints mount, and peer adversaries approach technological and logistical parity. Anything this new development can do to alleviate some of those factors is a huge win.

As fan fiction sequels go, this one tops my wish list:
    Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s welcome decision to cut the tech giant Huawei out of Britain’s 5G network and China’s sabre-rattling against Canada and Australia are just the most recent developments pushing the Canzuk idea into the realm of practical politics. Others include the projected Anglo-Australian post-Brexit free trade deal and the new multibillion-dollar Type 26 frigate program, which has buy-in from Britain, Canada and Australia. There has also long existed an array of multilateral working groups and committees among the four countries, mostly for defense and security matters but also on issues like industrial standards.

The Canzuk countries have not just a common majority language but a common legal system, a common parliamentary and political tradition, a common military structure and tradition and a common head of state in Queen Elizabeth II. They are, moreover, racially diverse, multicultural countries with a long history of working together, including the period when their military collaboration was, in 1940-41, the sole force on the planet that resisted Nazi totalitarianism. All they lack is geographic proximity, which in the era of the internet and post-Covid renewed air travel is no longer the insuperable barrier it once was.

There is no reason why the American taxpayer should pick up the bill of being the world’s policeman forever, and an intimate alliance with Canzuk would provide welcome relief. The cost of curbing and containing China’s global ambitions would become the historic role of not one but two superpowers, as it is clear that the EU has no interest in trying to stop Chinese hegemony in Asia. A strong, prosperous Canzuk Union would make the Anglosphere a force-multiplier in a more uncertain world.

“Provided that every effort is made, that nothing is kept back,” Winston Churchill told a joint session of Congress in Washington on Dec. 26, 1941, “that the whole manpower, brainpower, virility, valor and civic virtue of the English-speaking world, with all its galaxy of loyal, friendly or associated communities and states—provided that is bent unremittingly to the simple but supreme task, I think it would be reasonable to hope that the end of 1942 will see us quite definitely in a better position than we are now.” He was right; by the end of 1942 American forces had landed in North Africa and were joining hands with allies from the Anglosphere to liberate that continent from the Axis powers.

The old and enduring loyalty, friendship and association among the various English-speaking communities and states has evolved over time, to meet changing circumstances and to seize opportunities. The communities should look to strengthen institutional ties, and create new ones, for the benefit of each of them, and of the world.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/its-tim...re-11596859260
    Together, we stopped the advance of the Nazis and Soviets. Perhaps the band should get back together one last time to stop the advance of the CCP and restore balance and order to the world. With the UK out of the EU and Beijing routinely bullying Australia and Canada, they must stand together or fall separately.

Quote Originally Posted by UN Watch Tweet, 9 November
    Happening now: We are live tweeting as the U.S. record on human rights is now being reviewed at the U.N.'s Human Rights Council by Cuba, Belarus, North Korea, Syria, Iran, China & other champions of human rights.
    A comical example of how useless international organizations of this kind are without the US at the helm.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; November 13, 2020 at 06:56 AM.

Neither is this tweet unironic nor did the UNHRC ever tweet that.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Neither is this tweet unironic nor did the UNHRC ever tweet that.
    Ah, my mistake. Here’s the tweet. I’ve corrected the quote
    https://twitter.com/UNWatch/status/1325819598411853825
    Documents/video related to China’s “review” are there.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; November 13, 2020 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks! To clarify, the UN Watch is not affiliated with the United Nations. It's a monitoring/lobby group, which aims at reprimanding the procedures and practices of the Human Rights' Council. This is why the tweet was sarcastic and not sincere. Its criticism is often valid, but its reliability is harmed by the fact that it only targets controversies that promote its agenda and ignore others, which don't fit the organisation's narrative. It's similar to how Wikileaks operates nowadays, only from the opposite side.

Yes I believe the group is especially sympathetic to Israel, in terms of a governing ethos.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Pandemic practice: Horror fans and morbidly curious individuals are more psychologically resilient during the COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...91886920305882

I have always known, that i'm stronger than the pink unicorns and fairies lovers.^^

More serious:

An article about the evolution of the extinct dire wolf:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-03082-x
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 23, 2021 at 08:24 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    An article about the evolution of the extinct dire wolf:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-03082-x
    So the most divergent of the Canis genus. Speaking of canids...

Behold, the raccoon dog:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Oopps, i thought that was a fictive photoshopped animal...

But its a real one, a neozoon in Europe.

You never stop learning something new.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Oopps, i thought that was a fictive photoshopped animal...
    I'm guessing that younger people tend to know it as "tanuki". And yeah, it's sadly a very successful pest species in your region. Just like the actual raccoon, incidentally.