Juppiter instead Iupitter.^^

He should have paid a better forger.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Default Re: Ancient vendettas.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    If the details this article lists are correct, I'm really surprised how Gil's claims were ever taken seriously.
    Too lazy to even learn to make a decent fake. I suspect there was a lot of suspicion beforehand that was kept quiet. It's probably pretty common for archaeologists, or people in any scientific field, to be reluctant to outright accuse a colleague of misconduct or negligence without an airtight case. Even harshly criticizing someone's arguments can end up negatively effecting your career, even though it shouldn't. At least (in archaeology) if that person is connected well enough to be heading an excavation. Not so much if it's just someone starting out. I inadvertently ended someone's career once by uttering the sentence, "Well... it wasn't like that when I found it". Though I suspect it was the final straw.

There are a lot of high quality Hebrew/Canaanite fakes that turn up on the antiquities market, so much so that top epigraphers have to regularly be called in. These are obviously not bottom epigraphers. One guy in particular has made it a regular gig. You'll see him in various documentaries, etc. My friend's half joking completely unevidenced hypothesis is that said epigrapher is creating the fakes himself, that only he can debunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Back in the '90s I believe there was an abundance of fake Greco-Bactrian coins, as, following the Soviet withdrawal, Afghani smugglers realised the value of these small pieces of silver. Nowadays, it's the Seleucids' season, since the outbreak of the civil war has provided several opportunities for the circulation of real and fake Syrian coins. Regarding the dubious ethics of some archeologists, I suspect that the main reason is the temptation of gaining media prestige and academic credits through sensational findings. Pretty much every early Hellenistic building that is discovered is assumed to having been built by Deinocrates, because of its ''impeccable'' architecture. I remember when the Tomb of Kasta was discovered, the leading archeologist concluded that it belonged to Hephaestion, because she found the letter H inscribed into a brick. Quite an arbitrary assumption, the skeleton could actually be Herodotus or perhaps Herostratus, if we want to focus strictly on the 4th century BC (albeit the remains had not been cremated).

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...ht-Competition

Hi guys, if you haven’t yet, please take a minute to nominate/vote for the Post of the Fortnight.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Probably Noah's anchor?

Title is misleading, since what the article is saying is that there were Christianity in Pakistan before Islam, not they only now discovere Christianity is older than Islam, which is not news.

While the disolcovery that that there was Chistianity in what is now Pakistan would be news, it would not be earth shattering. Christianity by that time had spread as far as China, so spreading to Pakistan would hardly be surprisingm

However, something seems a little off - images look a little fake. The cross looks too well preserved and lacking the decoration I would expect of an 8th century cross.
    Last edited by Common Soldier; September 01, 2020 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Title is misleading
    They've changed it now. Apparently some people were mocking them on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    While the disolcovery that that there was Chistianity in what is now Pakistan would be news, it would not be earth shattering.
    Yeah, I don't really find anything surprising about Christians being near the eastern edge of the Sassanid empire.

New round of POTF is up. Remember to vote/nominate

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post

Yeah, I don't really find anything surprising about Christians being near the eastern edge of the Sassanid empire.
    IIRC Nestorians made it to China before the Hegira. Not sure if they sent rude messages demanding an end to ancestor worship.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

A nice, interactive map with lots of historical information about the Japanese attack against Pearl Harbour.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

An excellent resource to help me plan my next attack.
    This time the Empire won't fail.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

There has been an interesting find in my little country. Something which is quite likely a part of a Holy Nail-that is, one of those supposedly found by Empress Helena. During reconstruction of Milevsko monastery, a hidden chamber was discovered and within it were remains of a wooden reliquiary with golden lid, engraved with "IR" (most likely standing for Iesus Rex) within which was a six-centimeter long piece of nail with inlayed cross. Some parts of the wood were dated to period roughly around late 3rd to early 5th centuries, lending some credibility that this could be one of the Helena's relics.

The story is quite new, so the only English source so far is this:
    https://english.radio.cz/archaeologi...astery-8703578
    Last edited by Sar1n; December 21, 2020 at 09:08 PM.

New round of POTF is up. Please vote/nominate:

New PoTF is up. Please remember to vote/nominate

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

An academic article about the recent discovery of an exceptionally rich grave at La Almoloya in south-eastern Spain, which artifacts illuminates the political context of Early Bronze Age El Argar society.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...6D4F2C3981C2F#

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I believe next turn should go to Morticia for being closest one. In fact, a single Wikipedia search from answer.

Simply typing anti-aircraft cruiser into Wikipedia would get you a short paragraph listing the ships designed as such. Among them, you'd notice that this very photo is used as thumbnail for French cruiser De Grasse.

Originally planned as new class of light cruisers right before the war, only one hull was partially completed by the time of German invasion. Briefly considered for conversion into light carrier by occupying forces, the ship was eventually finished after the war in depicted configuration. Second ship, Colbert, was built to updated plans and later converted to missile cruiser, which is why it is sometimes considered separate class. I would have accepted either name though.
    To my eye lacking all the open tubs for lighter AA guns I was just not seeing it as an anti aircraft cruiser and of course as my post above shows the full side shot did keep the guns per turret not obvious.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    To my eye lacking all the open tubs for lighter AA guns I was just not seeing it as an anti aircraft cruiser and of course as my post above shows the full side shot did keep the guns per turret not obvious.
    Tubs were mostly feature of heavy US ships I think, not something typical for specialized AA ships. Having primary armament favoring quantity over caliber in unusual distribution and in obvious dual-purpose mounts, however, is.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Tubs were mostly feature of heavy US ships I think, not something typical for specialized AA ships. Having primary armament favoring quantity over caliber in unusual distribution and in obvious dual-purpose mounts, however, is.
    Yet the Atlanta/Oakland types were smaller by displacement (and length) and yet festooned with 20mm gun tubs (or whatever I suppose there is a technical term for an open circle splinter shield). Again just saying without those that I was used to seeing on pictures of American AA cruisers I jumped down different rabbit holes.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast