Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ancient vendettas.

Default Re: Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc

Ah, you mean the circular platforms. I thought you mean the literal tubs like this one:

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ancient vendettas.

I've moved here few posts from the Identify that Tank/Ship/Plane/Artillery etc, just to keep that thread clean

please feel free to continue discussing here, thanks
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Senator

Have those WW2 AA Cruisers ever been sucessful? An Aircraft attacking an AA-Cruiser will of course have a hard time, but how much of a convoi or a Fleet can a single Cruiser defend?

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    Have those WW2 AA Cruisers ever been sucessful? An Aircraft attacking an AA-Cruiser will of course have a hard time, but how much of a convoi or a Fleet can a single Cruiser defend?
    Heavy flak like those 127mm guns has range around 10-15 km. That's enough to cover entire convoy from right position. Atlanta and Dido classes were definitely considered successful by their users.

Just two more days to vote for POTF. Don’t forget to nominate too.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...7-POTF-43-Vote
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Senator

Thank you Sarin. I always thought a bunch of Destroyers were more effective than a cruiser for the same money.

Indefinitely Banned

Always thought Marius and Sulla get shorter shrift than they should. LCS is my favorite. Named a kid after him.

I have no prior knowledge of the subject but I thought he drew some fascinating parallels.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Oldest DNA from a Homo sapiens reveals surprisingly recent Neanderthal ancestry

Ancient human lineages interbred commonly in Europe, as well as the Middle East.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00916-0
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Thank the gods that the man didn't sold it to Scrap collector.^^

The cartographer, Thomas Karlsson, said "I first thought it might be a lamp, but when I looked closer I saw that it was old jewellery". Mr Karlsson said he had spotted the metallic glint while looking down at a map he was working on. At first he thought the ornaments were copies, as they were in such good condition. Then he emailed a local archaeologist while having a coffee in the forest, regional newspaper Goteborgs-Posten reported.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56943432

Some idiot pretending to be a well-known archaeologist created a new academia.edu account and then contacted me trying to get my help identifying hundreds of smuggled artifacts, apparently under the assumption that I am as stupid as he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Is he in the slammer?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Is he in the slammer?
    Currently I'm playing dumb, trying to get more information. Not sure what country he's in. He claims to be in Brazil, but that's where the archaeologist he's impersonating is. His visits to my profile match his claim in my analytics, but he's probably using a VPN. He has already sent me some pics. The way he's laying them out indicates to me that he probably has worked as an archaeologist. I can tell roughly where the artifacts came from - Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, northwestern Iran, and/or eastern Turkey (possibly northern Iraq).

I'm going to talk to the Antiquities Authority here, but it would be better if I could figure out what country he's in.
    Last edited by sumskilz; May 06, 2021 at 12:32 PM.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Patrician

Unfortunately this is pretty epic.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Currently I'm playing dumb, trying to get more information. Not sure what country he's in. He claims to be in Brazil, but that's where the archaeologist he's impersonating is. His visits to my profile match his claim in my analytics, but he's probably using a VPN. He has already sent me some pics. The way he's laying them out indicates to me that he probably has worked as an archaeologist. I can tell roughly where the artifacts came from - Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, northwestern Iran, and/or eastern Turkey (possibly northern Iraq).

I'm going to talk to the Antiquities Authority here, but it would be better if I could figure out what country he's in.
    This might be a task better suited to allskilz. Consider telling them the artifacts are worth ridiculous amounts. Or warning them one of the artifacts is from a type famously cursed. I could go all day.

Praeses

It would be utterly irresponsible to contact the Saudis and tell Crown Prince Salman your guy claims to have Mohammed's yarmulke.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

I discovered a nice tool allowing you to calculate travel distance across the Roman Empire. It includes every major urban center, from Sinjar to Morocco, and several variables, like season, budget and transport mode.

Yeah it is a nice tool to estimate how fast merchants, diplomats, commoners could travel in ancient times. And how fast communication would be. 16-17 days for Carthage - Antiochia is quite fast.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; June 01, 2021 at 01:47 PM.

Was just looking at an analysis of all the paleoclimatic data from the Levant during the Bronze and Iron Ages. There was a significant dry phase c. 2000–1800 BCE from the Beersheba Valley all the way to the Upper Euphrates. At that time, it looks like the population density in semi-arid zones thinned out and/or completely disappeared. This coincides with the beginning of Asiatic settlement in the northeastern Nile Delta.

Of course, by Asiatic I mean these people:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Was just looking at an analysis of all the paleoclimatic data from the Levant during the Bronze and Iron Ages. There was a significant dry phase c. 2000–1800 BCE from the Beersheba Valley all the way to the Upper Euphrates. At that time, it looks like the population density in semi-arid zones thinned out and/or completely disappeared. This coincides with the beginning of Asiatic settlement in the northeastern Nile Delta.

Of course, by Asiatic I mean these people:
    I thought that you meant Koreans.

That actually kind of puts the collapse of "Neo-Sumer" and the Amorite invasions into context. I wonder if there were broader trends that go back to the collapse of Akkad, or heck even the rise of Akkad in the first place.

Hey while we are at it how was the Akkadian Empire even a thing? I mean literally all of it.
    Where were the Akkadians even from?
    Where they necessarily distinct from later invaders or were they just a group that branched off and went out on its own?
    Was Akkad initially settled by these Semitic barbarians or was the king of Kish of Sumerian or Mesopotamian extraction?
    How strong were the Akkadians that they managed to overrun Sumer and all of Mesopotamia within only one or two generations? Did Sharrukinu figure out a way to hack into the meta or was he literally a deity? Maybe stronger donkey vehicles?
    Speaking of Mesopotamia, what people lived in Upper Mesopotamia if they were not Sumerian? Doesn't seem that they were Semites yet, with the strange exception being the Akkadians at first.

The Akkadians might be the most frustrating of the Bronze Age. Maybe only second to all of those random tribes emerging from the Zagros Mountains, and the Hurrians. By extension the Mitanni Empire due to a lack of Mitanni source material. I find it hilarious how the Sea People are pretty straight forward yet a lot of scholarship seems completely confused with regards to them.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast