Page 35 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1025262728293031323334353637383940414243444560 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Default Re: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Everyone gather round for nostalgia time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galatians 2:20
    I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

New PoTF is up. Please remember to vote/nominate

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...ht-Competition
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

I know nothing about Islam but this debate struck me as similar to the debate in Christianity over Sola Scriptura. With this in mind, the logic presented in the video seems sound, but I also have to wonder if rejection of the Hadith/Sunnah would also unencumber Islam from some of its most controversial aspects. My understanding is that the development of concepts like jihad for martyrdom or the more “backward” aspects of Sharia and ideological legalism come from the Hadith as opposed to the Quran. Therefore, the appeal of Quranism to me as an outsider would appear to be that it places faith in the hands of the practitioner as opposed to religious authorities, in much the same way Protestantism broke the power of the Roman Church.

Questions:

Is Quranism an actual sect within Islam or is it merely one end of the spectrum on which people accept the religious authority and authenticity of the Hadith to varying degrees?

Is Quranism considered legitimate albeit controversial, akin to Protestantism in Christianity, or is it primarily regarded as dangerous heresy?

Is Quranism descriptive of the beliefs of many Muslims, or only of a certain fringe?

AFAIK Quranists are fringe groups within Islam. They're usually considered heretics by Sunni and Shia organizations as they're their most direct competitors and thus any Quranist who speaks up faces a very real prospect of fatwas, arrest or assassination.

Most muslims belong to Sunni or Shia denomination and thus tend to defer to their clergy which considers hadiths to be integral part of Islam.

Without hadith...well, I'd say that Quran is "only" about as barbaric as the Bible....but because Quran is more entangled with politics and culture, it might be much harder to ignore the most barbaric passages.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    AFAIK Quranists are fringe groups within Islam. They're usually considered heretics by Sunni and Shia organizations as they're their most direct competitors and thus any Quranist who speaks up faces a very real prospect of fatwas, arrest or assassination.

Most muslims belong to Sunni or Shia denomination and thus tend to defer to their clergy which considers hadiths to be integral part of Islam.

Without hadith...well, I'd say that Quran is "only" about as barbaric as the Bible....but because Quran is more entangled with politics and culture, it might be much harder to ignore the most barbaric passages.
    That said, my understanding of Sunni or Shia is that their ideological differences are independent of Quranism, thus someone from either could be a Quranist. Sunni and Shia as distinct interpretations of history aren’t necessarily comparable to Catholicism vs Orthodoxy either, for example, given the amount of theological overlap between the former. That is to say, while Quranism is a fringe interpretation, the logic has informed progressive as well as regressive ideologies. Islamic feminism, for example, relies heavily on the Quran for justification, as far as I know.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/a...lcoming-women/

Here are five brief examples of how critics attacked early Christianity.

1. Celsus, Christianity’s most persistent critic, pointed to the involvement of women as a cause for derision: “[Christians] show they want and are able to convince only the foolish, dishonorable, and stupid, only slaves, women, and little children” (Cels. 3.44). Here was a standard polemic against Christianity: it lacked the Greco-Roman ideals of masculinity and was chiefly a religion for women and children.

2. Celsus continued his ridicule by accusing Christians of hiding in their “private houses” and being unwilling to engage in the public sphere—yet another way to associate Christianity with women, who often managed those households. He did the same thing elsewhere when he observed that Christian women would take children “to the wooldresser’s shop, or the cobbler’s, or the washerwoman’s shop that they might learn perfection” (Cels. 3.55). Celsus was likely referring to the way women catechized and instructed children in homes or private business. But the criticism isn’t hard to see: the early Christian movement is domestic, not public, and it’s run by women.

3. When Pliny the Younger wrote his famous letter to Emperor Trajan, the fact that the only Christians he mentioned were “two female slaves” was a less-than-veiled signal that Christianity is emasculated and emasculating (even if some men happen to participate). Earlier in the letter, Pliny had already complained that this new religious movement had affected “both sexes,” men and women (Ep. 10.96.9).

4. Lucian, a virulent critic of early Christianity, commented on the “widows and orphan children” gullible enough to bring meals to the charlatan Peregrinus while he was in prison (Peregr. 12). This wasn’t a positive reference; rather, it was yet another reason to regard the Christian movement, in the eyes of the cultural elite, as unworthy of serious consideration.

5. The final example is particularly egregious. In the early third century, Minucius Felix penned an apologetic work called Octavius, which contained a dialogue between a pagan named Caecilius and a Christian named Octavius. Caecilius offered a lengthy diatribe against Christianity, including the criticism that early Christianity was recruiting from “the dregs of the populace and credulous women with the inability natural to their sex” (Oct. 8.4).
    1 Corinthians 1

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
    Last edited by Prodromos; March 17, 2021 at 07:07 PM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Just two more days to vote for POTF. Don’t forget to nominate too.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...7-POTF-43-Vote

Walking in sandals on the filthy roads of Israel in the first century made it imperative that feet be washed before a communal meal, especially since people reclined at a low table and feet were very much in evidence. When Jesus rose from the table and began to wash the feet of the disciples, he was doing the work of the lowliest of servants. The disciples must have been stunned at this act of humility and condescension, that Christ, their Lord and master, should wash the feet of his disciples, when it was their proper work to have washed his.

Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet

John 13

It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.

2 The evening meal was in progress ... 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

8 “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”

Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

The hills across the valley of the Ebro were long and white. On this side there was no shade and no trees and the station was between two lines of rails in the sun. Close against the side of the station there was the warm shadow of the building and a curtain, made of strings of bamboo beads, hung across the open door into the bar, to keep out flies. The American and the girl with him sat at a table in the shade, outside the building. It was very hot and the express from Barcelona would come in forty minutes. It stopped at this junction for two minutes and went to Madrid.

‘What should we drink?’ the girl asked. She had taken off her hat and put it on the table.
    ‘It’s pretty hot,’ the man said.
    ‘Let’s drink beer.’
    ‘Dos cervezas,’ the man said into the curtain.
    ‘Big ones?’ a woman asked from the doorway.
    ‘Yes. Two big ones.’

The woman brought two glasses of beer and two felt pads. She put the felt pads and the beer glass on the table and looked at the man and the girl. The girl was looking off at the line of hills. They were white in the sun and the country was brown and dry.

‘They look like white elephants,’ she said.
    ‘I’ve never seen one,’ the man drank his beer.
    ‘No, you wouldn’t have.’
    ‘I might have,’ the man said. ‘Just because you say I wouldn’t have doesn’t prove anything.’
    The girl looked at the bead curtain. ‘They’ve painted something on it,’ she said. ‘What does it say?’
    ‘Anis del Toro. It’s a drink.’
    ‘Could we try it?’
    The man called ‘Listen’ through the curtain. The woman came out from the bar.
    ‘Four reales.’ ‘We want two Anis del Toro.’
    ‘With water?’
    ‘Do you want it with water?’
    ‘I don’t know,’ the girl said. ‘Is it good with water?’
    ‘It’s all right.’
    ‘You want them with water?’ asked the woman.
    ‘Yes, with water.’
    ‘It tastes like liquorice,’ the girl said and put the glass down.
    ‘That’s the way with everything.’
    ‘Yes,’ said the girl. ‘Everything tastes of liquorice. Especially all the things you’ve waited so long for, like absinthe.’
    ‘Oh, cut it out.’
    ‘You started it,’ the girl said. ‘I was being amused. I was having a fine time.’
    ‘Well, let’s try and have a fine time.’
    ‘All right. I was trying. I said the mountains looked like white elephants. Wasn’t that bright?’
    ‘That was bright.’
    ‘I wanted to try this new drink. That’s all we do, isn’t it – look at things and try new drinks?’
    ‘I guess so.’

The girl looked across at the hills.‘They’re lovely hills,’ she said. ‘They don’t really look like white elephants. I just meant the colouring of their skin through the trees.’
    ‘Should we have another drink?’
    ‘All right.’
    The warm wind blew the bead curtain against the table.
    ‘The beer’s nice and cool,’ the man said.
    ‘It’s lovely,’ the girl said.
    ‘It’s really an awfully simple operation, Jig,’ the man said. ‘It’s not really an operation at all.’
    The girl looked at the ground the table legs rested on.
    ‘I know you wouldn’t mind it, Jig. It’s really not anything. It’s just to let the air in.’

The girl did not say anything.

‘I’ll go with you and I’ll stay with you all the time. They just let the air in and then it’s all perfectly natural.’
    ‘Then what will we do afterwards?’
    ‘We’ll be fine afterwards. Just like we were before.’
    ‘What makes you think so?’
    ‘That’s the only thing that bothers us. It’s the only thing that’s made us unhappy.’

The girl looked at the bead curtain, put her hand out and took hold of two of the strings of beads.

‘And you think then we’ll be all right and be happy.’
    ‘I know we will. You don’t have to be afraid. I’ve known lots of people that have done it.’
    ‘So have I,’ said the girl. ‘And afterwards they were all so happy.’
    ‘Well,’ the man said, ‘if you don’t want to you don’t have to. I wouldn’t have you do it if you didn’t want to. But I know it’s perfectly simple.’
    ‘And you really want to?’
    ‘I think it’s the best thing to do. But I don’t want you to do it if you don’t really want to.’
    ‘And if I do it you’ll be happy and things will be like they were and you’ll love me?’
    ‘I love you now. You know I love you.’
    ‘I know. But if I do it, then it will be nice again if I say things are like white elephants, and you’ll like it?’
    ‘I’ll love it. I love it now but I just can’t think about it. You know how I get when I worry.’
    ‘If I do it you won’t ever worry?’
    ‘I won’t worry about that because it’s perfectly simple.’
    ‘Then I’ll do it. Because I don’t care about me.’
    ‘What do you mean?’
    ‘I don’t care about me.’
    ‘Well, I care about you.’
    ‘Oh, yes. But I don’t care about me. And I’ll do it and then everything will be fine.’
    ‘I don’t want you to do it if you feel that way.’

The girl stood up and walked to the end of the station. Across, on the other side, were fields of grain and trees along the banks of the Ebro. Far away, beyond the river, were mountains. The shadow of a cloud moved across the field of grain and she saw the river through the trees.

‘And we could have all this,’ she said. ‘And we could have everything and every day we make it more impossible.’
    ‘What did you say?’
    ‘I said we could have everything.’
    ‘We can have everything.’
    ‘No, we can’t.’
    ‘We can have the whole world.’
    ‘No, we can’t.’
    ‘We can go everywhere.’
    ‘No, we can’t. It isn’t ours any more.’
    ‘It’s ours.’
    ‘No, it isn’t. And once they take it away, you never get it back.’
    ‘But they haven’t taken it away.’
    ‘We’ll wait and see.’
    ‘Come on back in the shade,’ he said. ‘You mustn’t feel that way.’
    ‘I don’t feel any way,’ the girl said. ‘I just know things.’
    ‘I don’t want you to do anything that you don’t want to do -’
    ‘Nor that isn’t good for me,’ she said. ‘I know. Could we have another beer?’
    ‘All right. But you’ve got to realize – ‘
    ‘I realize,’ the girl said. ‘Can’t we maybe stop talking?’

They sat down at the table and the girl looked across at the hills on the dry side of the valley and the man looked at her and at the table.

‘You’ve got to realize,’ he said, ‘ that I don’t want you to do it if you don’t want to. I’m perfectly willing to go through with it if it means anything to you.’
    ‘Doesn’t it mean anything to you? We could get along.’
    ‘Of course it does. But I don’t want anybody but you. I don’t want anyone else. And I know it’s
    perfectly simple.’
    ‘Yes, you know it’s perfectly simple.’
    ‘It’s all right for you to say that, but I do know it.’
    ‘Would you do something for me now?’
    ‘I’d do anything for you.’
    ‘Would you please please please please please please please stop talking?’
    He did not say anything but looked at the bags against the wall of the station. There were labels on them from all the hotels where they had spent nights.
    ‘But I don’t want you to,’ he said, ‘I don’t care anything about it.’
    ‘I’ll scream,’ the girl said.
    The woman came out through the curtains with two glasses of beer and put them down on the damp felt pads. ‘The train comes in five minutes,’ she said.
    ‘What did she say?’ asked the girl.
    ‘That the train is coming in five minutes.’
    The girl smiled brightly at the woman, to thank her.
    ‘I’d better take the bags over to the other side of the station,’ the man said. She smiled at him.
    ‘All right. Then come back and we’ll finish the beer.’

He picked up the two heavy bags and carried them around the station to the other tracks. He looked up the tracks but could not see the train. Coming back, he walked through the bar-room, where people waiting for the train were drinking. He drank an Anis at the bar and looked at the people. They were all waiting reasonably for the train. He went out through the bead curtain. She was sitting at the table and smiled at him.

‘Do you feel better?’ he asked.
    ‘I feel fine,’ she said. ‘There’s nothing wrong with me. I feel fine.’

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Good Friday vibes
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm 62
    5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
    6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
    7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
    8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm 86
    8 Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.
    9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.
    10 For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me…"

-John 5:39

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Happy Easter

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus 3
    14 And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
    15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Corinthians 15
    55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
    56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
    57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Indefinitely Banned

Today isn’t Easter

paschal controversies

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Happy easter, everyone.

Usually around this time of year I would actually have been on holiday in Britain, which sadly isn't possible currently. As such, I have probably attended more anglican than catholic easter services in the more recent years - with which I don't really have a problem, since they have apostolic succession and transsubstantiation as well in anglican high church. So here is my favourite anglican easter hymn:
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Happy easter, everyone.

Usually around this time of year I would actually have been on holiday in Britain, which sadly isn't possible currently. As such, I have probably attended more anglican than catholic easter services in the more recent years - with which I don't really have a problem, since they have apostolic succession and transsubstantiation as well in anglican high church. So here is my favourite anglican easter hymn:
    Thine be the glory
    Risen conq'ring Son
    Endless is the victory
    thou o'er death hast won

He is risen indeed.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Indefinitely Banned

He has.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post

lmao this image is so stupid

it's not like mohammed or buddha or confucious claimed they were deities hahahahahaha

seriously who's drunk pastor made that ?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Indefinitely Banned

What bothers me is the name “history’s graveyard”. Islam is newer than Christianity and while Christianity has been losing adherents and power over the secular bodies for some time, Islam continues to grow, entrench itself in secular life and retain devoted adherents.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

It is indeed cheap triumphalism based on a categorial error. The triumph of Christ is over death itself, not over mortal men.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.