Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536373839404142434459 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Aaah I see. I agree. Believing in Christ and by extension God does not necessarily mean you believe in any particular doctrine of a church (my parents are like that). I was confused. You are still religious, in my book, if you believe in a God/Gods/Divine Being/etc. You don't necessarily have to believe any particular set of doctrines laid on you by a church to be religious.

I don't take many things very seriously. I'm not religious in any way so the cross means very little to me in any regard. I was just curious as to why someone would wear it if they were not in some way religious. That has been cleared up nicely.

(perhaps religious isn't the right term and believer would be more accurate)

The matter of punk bands and german-bad-boy insignias was never in question (that was what I was referring to with my genuine display of symbols and the ironic, and in hindsight sarcastic and provocative, use of symbols). No one in his right mind would look at a punk band, listen to their music and think they are nazi-sympathizers.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; January 06, 2021 at 04:29 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Heavy Metal is not necessarily satanistic, it is a music style, which has many many subgenres and which fans share a certain set of values (for example being no bourgeois, friendship, freedom, individualism, no bowing down of your person for commercial success, patriarchal role model (^^) ...).

Playing around with satanistic symbols outside of Black metal is in most cases pure provocation of the "good people/bourgeois" and no real satanistic belief, as most metals heads i know are atheists or agnostics and outside of christian belief there is no room for a devil as counterpart of god.

Ozzy makes good music, if he privately kneel down to pray to god, why not? Its his private business, i must not follow him and i don't excommunicate him because he is a christian.^^

I guess i'm now more bourgeois than in my youth.

As long as i don't become a 100 % caricature of a bourgeois, everything is fine.

Edit: Personally i wear a celtic cross without being christian, more like my faible for ancient celtic culture / paganism although - if i'm honest to myself i'm more agnostic.^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 06, 2021 at 04:51 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    No one in his right mind would look at a punk band, listen to their music and think they are nazi-sympathizers.
    I've recently heard accusations that Joy Division (Ian Curtis) was actually a bit of a fascist. Better to ignore some things.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by makawa View Post
    I've recently heard accusations that Joy Division (Ian Curtis) was actually a bit of a fascist. Better to ignore some things.
    Really? Yeah some things are best left uncovered.

Rammstein live since years with the same stupid accusations.

Content Emeritus

Everyone is a fascist these days. The word has really lost its meaning. Like the word communist. They're just words that are used to denounce someone you don't agree with.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Everyone has opinions especially when it comes to other people, people they really don't know at all. It only takes one rumourmonger to set the ball rolling, true or false, that can spoil or enhance a reputation.

Blog Entries

Well it really takes more than a rumor to damage someone's reputation. usually require a minimal base or something to misrepresent
    Last edited by mishkin; January 08, 2021 at 03:04 PM.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I heard a rumor that that's not true.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by makawa View Post
    Well it really takes more than a rumor to damage someone's reputation. usually require a minimal base or something to misrepresent
    makawa,

It's a case of cart and horse here because the rumourmonger has to have a cause to start one at all whether there's truth or not to it.

Blog Entries

well, it is much more difficult in my opinion for a rumor to spread if it has absolutely no basis, however twisted or crazy it may be. If they're just based on a lie (Sean Penn is married to Lady Gaga, final point), the rumor run should be very, very short.

oh my god, now i'm thinking about that emma stone movie. whats wrong with my head
    Last edited by mishkin; January 10, 2021 at 06:04 AM.

makawa,

When I was a teenager the current rumours were that young actresses to land good parts were encouraged by producers to sleep with them. That turned out to be not just a rumour but in a lot of cases fact.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Heavy Metal is not necessarily satanistic, it is a music style, which has many many subgenres and which fans share a certain set of values (for example being no bourgeois, friendship, freedom, individualism, no bowing down of your person for commercial success, patriarchal role model (^^) ...).

Playing around with satanistic symbols outside of Black metal is in most cases pure provocation of the "good people/bourgeois" and no real satanistic belief, as most metals heads i know are atheists or agnostics and outside of christian belief there is no room for a devil as counterpart of god.

Ozzy makes good music, if he privately kneel down to pray to god, why not? Its his private business, i must not follow him and i don't excommunicate him because he is a christian.^^

I guess i'm now more bourgeois than in my youth.

As long as i don't become a 100 % caricature of a bourgeois, everything is fine.

Edit: Personally i wear a celtic cross without being christian, more like my faible for ancient celtic culture / paganism although - if i'm honest to myself i'm more agnostic.^^
    this

besides, Black Sabbath has never been a Satanist group in the strict sense; the misconception comes from the name of the band and the legend about Ozzy willingly eating a bat on the stage (he indeed ate one, but he thought it was a fake one). Most of Sabbath's song are talking about social issues (war mainly), few about love, and even more about drug and substances use/abuse. Geezer Butler (the bassist) is said to have had a certain interest in Satanism, and some of the texts he wrote are referenced to that (see the Black Sabbath song, for instance), but it was a very limited phenomena within the discography of the Sabbath. As a matter of fact Ozzy always liked to thank the audience with a "God bless ya".

@ mish, I don't know if you like metal song, but if you do you should definitely check songs like "War Pigs" or "Children of the Grave"
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post

@ mish, I don't know if you like metal song, but if you do you should definitely check songs like "War Pigs" or "Children of the Grave"
    I am not "into metal", but I have already listened to some black sabbath (ozzys era) albums

Where do the Blues Bros fit into all this?

They are the ancestors of Rock, who is the ancestor of Heavy Metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    They are the ancestors of Rock, who is the ancestor of Heavy Metal.
    Morticia lunia Bruti,

I have to admit that I enjoyed the music, the films/movies and still do.

Blues Brothers movie and soundtrack is quite entertaining.

Morticia lunia Bruti,

My earliest recollection of music was my mother singing, " you are my sunshine, " to me all these years ago and so music from Gospel to Max Bygraves, Danny Kaye, Bing Crosby was a part of life whenever one passed a radio playing. I remember too singing every Saturday Morning at what was called the ABC Minors picture show which went something like this, " We are the boys and girls who gather every Saturday to watch the films we like and so shout aloud with glee, because we are the Minors of the ABC." Well words to that effect and then on the afternoon off again to the pictures. We didn't call them movies in those days. On a Sunday it was Sunday School where " Jesus loves me this I know," was the music of the day and then come Monday, back to school to sing dreary songs by Rabbie Burns and such like. Like today, music played a big part in life.

New round of POTF is up. Please vote/nominate:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/foru...ht-Competition
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII