Page 12 of 63 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Akar,

Woof, woof to you too. You should get yourself a dog and give your mind some simple exercise away from your obsession with science. It's amazing how many lovely people you meet on the way. The dog owner's names I never remember but the names of their dogs I usually do, why is that? It's also a good time to reflect on everything around as one makes their way on a walk. For me I pray for the strength to make it, the wonder of what's around me and sometimes to stop us getting soaked if it begins to rain and you know what, it works. Oh yes, even the simplest of things get answered and I don't have to make any of it up.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

So you're going to ignore my entire post to say "take a walk sometimes" and "god is real because sometimes I don't get as wet as usual when it rains"?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Along with John Wycliffe, Jan Hus was the most prominent and influential individual in paving the way for the Protestant Reformation. Hus helped lay the foundation for the Reformation through his courageous proclamation of the truth, even when doing so cost him his life.

Hus' ideas were greatly influenced by the writings of Wycliffe, whose teachings stressed the sole authority of Scripture. Hus boldly condemned many common church practices including simony (the act of selling church offices or roles), the sale of indulgences (granting remission of sins in purgatory), and pilgrimages to view relics. Not only did Hus dispute church practices, he also severely admonished the greed and immorality among many in the clergy. Hus' stance created many enemies amid his fellow clergy and he soon became embroiled in a political controversy in the church.

The Abuse of Scripture in Advance of Clerical Power, by Jan Hus:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because many priests abandon the imitation of Christ, the high priest, and boast of the power committed to the church, without doing works that correspond, therefore up to this time we have been speaking of the power of this kind. For they extract out of Matt. 18:16, “Whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,” that whatsoever they do, every man ought altogether to approve. And from the words of Matt. 23 : 2, “The scribes and Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat, therefore all things whatsoever they bid you, these do,” they extract that every inferior is to obey them in all things. And so these priests clamorously apply to themselves at their own pleasure whatsoever appeals to them out of Christ’s Gospel, and without any ministry of love on their part to correspond. But what plainly calls for toil and worldly self-abnegation and the imitation of Christ, that they spurn away as something inapplicable to themselves, or make believe they hold it when they do not.

Hence, because Jesus said to Peter, “I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, etc,” this they lay hold of with great complacency for the exaltation of their own power. But what the Lord said to Peter, John 21 : 17, “Follow me and feed my sheep,” this they flee from as poison. Likewise, what he said to his disciples, Matt. 18:18, “What things soever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven,” they gratefully seize upon and glory in. But what he says, Matt. 10:9, “Get you no gold nor silver,” they shun as hurtful. In the same way what he said to his disciples, John 20:23, “Receive ye the Holy Ghost. Whosesoever sins ye remit they are remitted unto them; and whosesoever sins ye retain they are retained,” very placidly they accept. But what he says in Matt. 11:29, “Learn of me for I am meek and lowly of heart,” even the gentleness and meekness, which prepare a place for the Holy Spirit, they do not admit to their hearts.

Also what the Lord said to his disciples, Luke 10:16, “He that heareth you heareth me,” they seize upon as meaning obedience to themselves, but what the Lord says in Matt. 20:25, “Ye know that the rulers of the Gentiles do lord it over them and their great ones exercise authority over them. Not so shall it be among you, but, whosoever would become great among you, shall be your minister, and whosoever would be first among you shall be your servant: even as the Son of Man came not to be ministered unto but to minister,” — this most weighty saying they repudiate in word and deed — in word, saying that they ought to rule, and in deed because they do not wish to minister to the church after the custom of Jesus Christ the Lord.

And that I may gather up briefly all that the Scripture says, and especially the Gospel: what seems to indicate to them that they ought to be rich, live delicately, be famous in the world, and suffer no reproach for Christ, these sayings they ruminate over, proclaim aloud and make known all too extensively. But whatever calls for the imitation of Christ, as poverty, gentleness, humility, endurance, chastity, toil or patience — these passages they suppress or gloss over at their pleasure or expressly set aside as not pertaining to salvation. And the devil, who is the worst of sophists, leads them astray by their ignorance of the logical consequences, arguing in this way: “Christ gave such authority to Peter and the rest of the apostles, therefore also to you.” And from this they draw the inference that it is lawful for them to do whatsoever they please, and so, by reasoning of the same kind, they are most blessed fathers together with Christ in pronouncing judgment in the church and because they are to be crowned later with an everlasting crown. But blessed be Christ, the omniscient, who said these things to his apostles, knowing that the authority which was given to them they would use according to his good pleasure in ministering to his bride.

When the Council of Constance assembled, Hus was asked to be there and present his views on the dissension within the church. When he arrived, he was immediately arrested and put in prison. He was eventually taken in front of the council and asked to recant his views. He replied, "I would not for a chapel of gold retreat from the truth!" On July 6, 1415, he was burned at the stake for heresy against the doctrines of the Catholic Church.

At the place of execution, as they tied him to the stake, Hus prayed aloud: ‘Lord Jesus, it is for Thee that I patiently endure this cruel death. I pray Thee to have mercy on my enemies.” He was heard quoting from the Psalms until the flames, rising up around him, extinguished his earthly life.

(you can skip to 2:00)

After Hus was executed, the followers of his religious teachings (known as Hussites) refused to elect another Catholic monarch and under the leadership of Jan 'the One-eyed' Žižka defeated several consecutive papal crusades in what became known as the Hussite Wars.

At the same time, moderate nobles had sent representatives to Sigismund to negotiate: he would be welcomed as king of Bohemia if he would guarantee communion in both kinds, support the Hussites against the church's persecution, and fight against corruption in the church. Sigismund foolishly declined any compromise, assuming he could amass sufficient military power to crush any resistance. He had difficulty convincing the Germanic princes to provide enthusiastic support, however, so he convinced the recently enthroned Pope Martin V to authorize a crusade.

Martin agreed on March 17, 1420, when his legate Ferdinand, bishop of Lucena, read from the pulpit the text of the bull Omnium plasmatoris domini. This proclaimed a crusade with the task of exterminating all "Wycliffites, Hussites, other heretics, and those favoring, accepting, and defending such heresies," and contained the usual addition that men fighting this war for the church would expiate all their sins. Sigismund thus rallied supporters from across the Holy Roman Empire to join his cause, and he gave the order for his soldiers to execute on the spot any Hussite who refused to recant.

Choral of the Hussites: "Ye Who Are Warriors of God"

The song was sung with such intensity during the Hussite Wars, that it instilled fear throughout the enemy army, making it a weapon in itself. One of the Imperial Crusades is believed to have fled the battlefield before the battle itself, just by hearing the Hussites singing their hymn.

Lyrics:

Ye who are God's warriors and of his law,
    Pray to God for help and have faith in him;
    That always with him you will be victorious.

Christ is worth all your sacrifices, he will pay you back an hundredfold.
    If you give up your life for him you will receive eternal life.
    Happy is he who dies fighting for the truth.

The Lord commandeth you not to fear those who harm the body,
    And commandeth you to even put your life down for the love of your brothers.

Therefore, archers, crossbowmen, halberdiers of knightly rank,
    Scythemen and macebearers from all walks of life,
    Remember always the Lord benevolent.

Do not fear your enemies, nor gaze upon their number,
    Keep the Lord in your hearts; for him fight on,
    And before enemies you need not flee.

Since ages past Czechs have said and had proverbs which state,
    That if the leader is good, so too is the journey.

Remember all of you the password which was given out.
    Obey your captains and guard one another.
    Stay sharp and everyone keep formation.

You beggars and wrongdoers, remember your soul!
    For greed and theft don't lose your life.
    And pay no heed to the spoils of war.

And with this happily cry out – saying, "At thee! Have at thee!"
    Grasp the weapon in your hands and shout, "God is our Lord!"
    Last edited by Prodromos; July 12, 2020 at 07:49 AM.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Can you put the entire post in a spoiler please?

It's not healthy to keep that chip on your shoulder forever, Akar

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I think eating that much copy pasta is considered Gluttony.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I'm just going to copy paste what I wrote. No reason for me to type something new if you're going to repeat the same tired old again and again.
    Akar,

I am not ignoring your posts, just not responding as perhaps I might have when a little bit younger and fitter. That said here's a response. Breeding dogs brings up what? Nothing other than another dog. Mixing tomatoes makes what? Just another tomato. What has never been done is making two different kinds of anything into another kind outside of what it started as. As for the basic rocks Robert V. Gentry has proved that they are not and cannot be as old as science thinks by his experimentation on the radioactivity in them. You should read his book Creation's Tiny Mysteries. Google creation scientists alive today and discover how many there are. Of course there's not as many as in the establishment but there are those that are doubtful among them who are too frightened to say anything because of their lucrative jobs they don't want to lose. Again I repeat not one transitional has ever been found that has not been faked in some way.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

What has never been done is making two different kinds of anything into another kind outside of what it started as
    What about a mule?

Again I repeat not one transitional has ever been found that has not been faked in some way.
    Again, this is a flat out lie.

Also, what do you even mean by "transitional"

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post

Along with John Wycliffe, Jan Hus was the most prominent and influential individual in paving the way for the Protestant Reformation. Hus helped lay the foundation for the Reformation through his courageous proclamation of the truth, even when doing so cost him his life.

Hus' ideas were greatly influenced by the writings of Wycliffe, whose teachings stressed the sole authority of Scripture. Hus boldly condemned many common church practices including simony (the act of selling church offices or roles), the sale of indulgences (granting remission of sins in purgatory), and pilgrimages to view relics. Not only did Hus dispute church practices, he also severely admonished the greed and immorality among many in the clergy. Hus' stance created many enemies amid his fellow clergy and he soon became embroiled in a political controversy in the church.

The Abuse of Scripture in Advance of Clerical Power, by Jan Hus:

When the Council of Constance assembled, Hus was asked to be there and present his views on the dissension within the church. When he arrived, he was immediately arrested and put in prison. He was eventually taken in front of the council and asked to recant his views. He replied, "I would not for a chapel of gold retreat from the truth!" On July 6, 1415, he was burned at the stake for heresy against the doctrines of the Catholic Church.

At the place of execution, as they tied him to the stake, Hus prayed aloud: ‘Lord Jesus, it is for Thee that I patiently endure this cruel death. I pray Thee to have mercy on my enemies.” He was heard quoting from the Psalms until the flames, rising up around him, extinguished his earthly life.

(you can skip to 2:00)

After Hus was executed, the followers of his religious teachings (known as Hussites) refused to elect another Catholic monarch and under the leadership of Jan 'the One-eyed' Žižka defeated several consecutive papal crusades in what became known as the Hussite Wars.

Choral of the Hussites: "Ye Who Are Warriors of God"

The song was sung with such intensity during the Hussite Wars, that it instilled fear throughout the enemy army, making it a weapon in itself. One of the Imperial Crusades is believed to have fled the battlefield before the battle itself, just by hearing the Hussites singing their hymn.

Lyrics:

Ye who are God's warriors and of his law,
    Pray to God for help and have faith in him;
    That always with him you will be victorious.

Christ is worth all your sacrifices, he will pay you back an hundredfold.
    If you give up your life for him you will receive eternal life.
    Happy is he who dies fighting for the truth.

The Lord commandeth you not to fear those who harm the body,
    And commandeth you to even put your life down for the love of your brothers.

Therefore, archers, crossbowmen, halberdiers of knightly rank,
    Scythemen and macebearers from all walks of life,
    Remember always the Lord benevolent.

Do not fear your enemies, nor gaze upon their number,
    Keep the Lord in your hearts; for him fight on,
    And before enemies you need not flee.

Since ages past Czechs have said and had proverbs which state,
    That if the leader is good, so too is the journey.

Remember all of you the password which was given out.
    Obey your captains and guard one another.
    Stay sharp and everyone keep formation.

You beggars and wrongdoers, remember your soul!
    For greed and theft don't lose your life.
    And pay no heed to the spoils of war.

And with this happily cry out – saying, "At thee! Have at thee!"
    Grasp the weapon in your hands and shout, "God is our Lord!"
    As you write about important piece of my country's history, I feel the need to correct and expand some points.

It would be simplistic and inaccurate to characterize Hus solely as inspired by Wycliffe. In 1363, an Austrian wandering preacher Conrad Waldhauser started preaching in Prague, quickly gathering a significant following. He criticized the practices of indulgences and simony and state of Catholic Church. His follower and successor, Milíč of Kroměříž, went further, turning to asceticism and establishing at the time unique tradition that quickly spread throughout Bohemia-sharing of sacramental bread at every service, rather than once a year as was common Catholic practice of the time. Their influence persisted on Bohemian lands and influenced Hus as much as Wycliffe, as Hus disagreed with some of his points.

During his imprisonment and trial, Hus' followers went even further and started practicing communion under both kinds. This was called utraquism, and became a main common point of various Hussite sects, as following his death, they quickly fractured into various branches. Religious tensions quickly rose, culminating in 1419 event that added yet another Czech tradition and a new word into political vocabulary-defenestration. It is rumored that news of this event brought about king Wenceslaus' stroke and death. The moderate Hussite nobles seized the opportunity, since Bohemian crown was at the time elective monarchy, and made demands under which they'll accept Wenceslaus' brother Sigismund as king. This became known as Four articles of Prague, and could be summarized as:
    1. The word of God shall be preached and made known in the kingdom of Bohemia freely and in an orderly manner by the priests of the Lord.
    2. The sacrament of the most Holy Eucharist shall be freely administered in the two kinds, that is bread and wine, to all the faithful in Christ who are not precluded by mortal sin - according to the word and disposition of Our Saviour.
    3. The secular power over riches and worldly goods which the clergy possesses in contradiction to Christ's precept, to the prejudice of its office and to the detriment of the secular arm, shall be taken and withdrawn from it, and the clergy itself shall be brought back to the evangelical rule and an apostolic life such as that which Christ and his apostles led.
    4. All mortal sins, and in particular all public and other disorders, which are contrary to God's law shall in every rank of life be duly and judiciously prohibited and destroyed by those whose office it is.

With Pope's support, Sigismund refused, and the first crusade started. Most of it would be better left for VV, but after failure of every crusade, culminating in Battle of Domažlice where crusading army, due to chaotic redeployment and pressure from incoming Hussite army routed before giving fight, Pope and king were forced to negotiate, resulting in agreement where the moderate Hussites helped put down the more radical factions in exchange for religious tolerance. This resulted in Compacts of Basel, which was the first time that Protestant faith was officially recognized and tolerated by the Papacy within Catholic lands.

What about a mule?

Again, this is a flat out lie.

Also, what do you even mean by "transitional"
    Akar,

A mule comes from the coupling of a male donkey with a female horse. In other words the coupling of two of the same kind, the horse family. Now as the theory goes and has no point in stopping going we should if it's true find one kind in transition to being another kind. This has never been found ever. For all the bestiality that man has performed with animals not even once has an animal become pregnant never mind give birth to part man or part beast. All across kinds there has never been part of one kind mixed with part of another found anywhere and the claims that they have have been found to be fake. I'm afraid the missing link is still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Akar,

A mule comes from the coupling of a male donkey with a female horse. In other words the coupling of two of the same kind, the horse family. Now as the theory goes and has no point in stopping going we should if it's true find one kind in transition to being another kind. This has never been found ever. For all the bestiality that man has performed with animals not even once has an animal become pregnant never mind give birth to part man or part beast. All across kinds there has never been part of one kind mixed with part of another found anywhere and the claims that they have have been found to be fake. I'm afraid the missing link is still missing.
    That's because in your ignorance, you are convinced that such animals have to look like Frankenstein's monsters, with mismatched parts being from one or another species. But mules are just one of many examples that show it is not so. It's not a patchwork, but blending of features, and appearance of distinct unique ones from the genetic interaction.

By the way, modern research shows that most current humans are result of interbreeding between genetically divergent and distinct species-anatomically modern humans (Homo sapiens sapiens), Neanderthals (Homo neanderthaliensis) and possibly more branches like Denisovans. We even found remains whose father was Denisovan and mother Neanderthal.

Sar1n,

The point is that they are all human beings, period. Mules are not the product of two different species my friend. Their parents are members of the horse family. You need to have a wee squint at Dr James Tour for some evidential proof about what you are implying because he's the guy that can set you straight.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So I looked up the guy's wiki page and he says the following,

"To those who are disconcerted or even angered that I signed a statement back in 2001" he responded "I have been labeled as an Intelligent Design (ID) proponent. I am not. I do not know how to use science to prove intelligent design although some others might. I am sympathetic to the arguments on the matter and I find some of them intriguing, but the scientific proof is not there, in my opinion. So I prefer to be free of that ID label. As a modern-day scientist, I do not know how to prove intelligent design using my most sophisticated analytical tools— the canonical tools are, by their own admission, inadequate to answer the intelligent design question. I cannot lay the issue at the doorstep of a benevolent creator or even an impersonal intelligent designer. All I can presently say is that my chemical tools do not permit my assessment of intelligent design."

It would seem Dr. Tour would openly disagree with you, Basics. Perhaps he's the guy who can set YOU straight?

The point is that they are all human beings, period
    That's actually not the point, but whatever.

Akar,

I never claimed that Tour believed in God. The reason I bring his name up is because of what he says about the beginning of life in the simplistic way that Darwinists make it. He might not have said it outright yet he lays it out as being so complex as being improbable to have occurred naturally. Others are now coming forward to say the same especially as the maths make it highly unlikely because the odds of it happening are so great. So, on the one hand we have people who think that everything happened over billions of years and those that believe that it couldn't have happened that way. Those men and women are not necessarily religious, just scientists doing their job as they're supposed to. I believe their numbers are much higher than we are led to believe, why? Because to speak out, especially for a young scientist, they know how much their jobs depend on them staying silent thus keeping their jobs. Never mind Wiki, have a look and listen to what Tour actually says.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So, Tour says he disagrees with you and you say "don't look at that, look at what he actually says". What does the man have to do? Say specifically that you, basics, are wrong?

Others are now coming forward to say the same especially as the maths make it highly unlikely because the odds of it happening are so great.
    You got some sources for these ridiculous claims?

He might not have said it outright yet he lays it out as being so complex as being improbable to have occurred naturally.
    So you just have to read between the lines and misinterpret what he says?

Because to speak out, especially for a young scientist, they know how much their jobs depend on them staying silent thus keeping their jobs
    There's nothing to "speak out" about. Things go through peer review for a reason and if one of these scientists you claim are in hiding have proof of someone publishing something inaccurate then they wouldn't be hiding it for fear of losing their jobs. If someone had proof that disproved evolution, you don't think that would actually make them money?

Never mind Wiki, have a look and listen to what Tour actually says.
    I'm not going to read through someone's entire body of work to find what he says that you think is relevant to this conversation.
    Last edited by Akar; July 16, 2020 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    This resulted in Compacts of Basel, which was the first time that Protestant faith was officially recognized and tolerated by the Papacy within Catholic lands.
    Yeah, though ironically enough, the Hussites engaged in their fair share of religious persecution as well.

Interestingly, while Bohemian Protestants were nearly wiped out in Europe, they played an outsize role in shaping Anglo-American Christianity, through Methodism.

The Moravians felt called to engage in foreign missions. Within 65 years they had sent 300 missionaries across the world, including North and South America, Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and the Arctic. They were the first to evangelize slaves, even in some cases selling themselves into slavery so they could reach them. The Moravians were also the first to send laypeople into the mission field, rather than just ministers.

Moravian missionaries were central to the conversion of John Wesley. He first encountered the Moravians on a voyage to Georgia. Wesley was impressed with their deep piety and faith. At one point, in a storm, the ship’s mast broke. While all the English were panicking, the Moravians calmly prayed and sang hymns. When Wesley returned to England, he sought out the Moravians, and at one of their meetings at Aldersgate, Wesley “felt [his] heart strangely warmed” and he had his conversion experience.

The Moravians thus played a critical role in triggering the Wesleyan Revival, in the start of Methodism, in the beginnings of British evangelicalism, and therefore in everything that comes from those movements.

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Akar,

All you have to do is jump into James M Tour Groip Evolution/Creation and see what the man says.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 17, 2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Insulting.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

How about providing a link?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; July 17, 2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Continuity.

How about providing a link?
    Akar,

Believe it or not, I don't know how to make links. What you posted as said by the man is perfectly correct concerning an intelligent designer but what you haven't posted is what he says about the science that claims to know how we got here. He says they're clueless and in many cases are lying to us but then you'ld have to read it for yourself. My point in bringing him up into the argument is because he is honest about what he says and so far as I know no-one has ever contradicted his knowledge on the matter. The complexities that he explains are so vast, I can see why people might think he is an Intelligent Design advocate but from what he says it appears that he is not yet convinced yet open minded enough not to deny it. His youtube postings are very infrormative to say the least.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Believe it or not, I don't know how to make links
    Well, that's fairly easy to fix I think.

There's three ways to link a video from YouTube to here.

Quote Originally Posted by The First
    At the top of the browser is the URL of the webpage.

Double left click, and then right click to open a drop down menu. Then, click "copy"

Then, go to the TWC post and right click to open the drop down menu again, then click "paste"

And it will show up like below,

'https://www.youtube.com/'
    Quote Originally Posted by The Second
    You can embed the link into another word.

Highlight the word or phrase you'd like be linked by clicking and dragging with the mouse over the text.

If you're making a "quick reply" you'll need to hit the "go advanced" button at the lower right in order to do this next step. With the text highlighted, click this button from the options list at the top.

A box will pop-up, where you can copy and paste the URL (like I demonstrated above) and insert a hyperlink into the text.

This will create a link inside your word of choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Third
    The third is probably the weirdest one to do.

Navigate to the youtube video you want to link, and copy paste only the text after '/watch?v='

For this next step you'll also need to also "go advanced"

Click the "youtube" button on the toolbar at the top,

This will create Youtube tags that you will then copy paste the text into, like below

This will embed a video into the post, like you can see below.

P.S, for the record I have also wrapped "spoiler" tags around the YouTube embed.
    He says they're clueless and in many cases are lying to us but then you'ld have to read it for yourself.
    I have read what the scientists said, and I can understand the data and I know that I'm not being lied to.

so far as I know no-one has ever contradicted his knowledge on the matter.
    Except for all the times I've contradicted you.

I can see why people might think he is an Intelligent Design advocate
    I'm fairly sure YOU claimed he was...

complexities that he explains are so vast,
    Just because the topic is complex and you're unwilling to take the effort to understand it doesn't mean your far simpler solution is correct.