Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Even after Roman Catholicism was forced on the different British countries
    So, a state church, like I said?

MacBeth
    Ahh yes, the almost entirely fictional character.

My dear ole son, there is only one human race so the ones claiming there are different races are the real racists. Our race, the human race, is made up of peoples of many hues so where is this coverup you imagine?
    There are absolutely distinct differences between the human races. "Black" people have far higher levels of melanin, more pronounced lips, and broader noses; "White" people have much lower levels of melanin compared to other races and have genes for lighter hair and eyes than other races; "Asian" people have less melanin than "Black" people, but more than "White" people do, they are also typically of shorter stature and frame, as well as featuring the characteristic epicanthic fold*. Humanity is made up of a vast number of peoples of various cultures, languages, and phenotypes.

The people that claim there are different races are the people who have an understanding of biology and the proper taxonomic definitions for the different subsets of a species.

Now, the people that claim that those physical differences between races make one better than the other, those are the racists. Anyone who uses race to denigrate, shame, put down, or otherwise disparage someone else is a racist. You are not a racist for acknowledging the obvious differences between race.

It's just that you fell into your own trap which your superior intellect is not supposed to let you.
    I don't think I've ever claimed to have "superior intellect", nor do I suggest that "superior intellect" would allow anyone to be above the possibility of making or recognizing a mistake. I do not think I've made one in this case, as I demonstrated above, but there is nothing inherently wrong with making a mistake. It does not make you less of a person nor less intelligent. Criticizing others for mistakes or refusing to own up to your own mistakes does, however, make you a hypocrite.

*I am not suggesting that these are the only races, nor am I suggesting that these are the only characteristics of those races. Race and ethnicity is far more complex than "white" vs "black" but also far less consequential than people make it out to be. Don't read any more into what I said than exactly what I said.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Y’all need to chill this thread is way too cancery rn.

Quote Originally Posted by John 14:27
    Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Y’all need to chill this thread is way too cancery rn.
    Yeah better close your eyes and respect the insulting garbage coming from any kind of idiot/fanatic. (Generally speaking).

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Akar,

Never in Britain was there a tyrannical state church period. MacBeth ruled Scotland for some seventeen years, his capital being Forres in Morayshire. He was one of three grandchildren that Malcolm had, them being MacBeth, Torphin and Duncan. MacBeth's father was the King's right hand and in those days Morayshire was the largest area in Scotland stretching from the West coast all the way to the East coast. Torphin's father was of Viking blood and his mother a Princess in her own right. Duncan was the son of Canmore whose lands were around the middle belt of Scotland and he hated the power the Macbeth family had. Indeed it was his wife that introduced Roman Catholicism into Scotland. When Shakespeare wrote his play the need to please the then King who was associated to the Canmores the writer made MacBeth the villain of the piece against the actuality of the facts. Indeed Norse folklore has it that Torphin was the one who struck down Duncan, not MacBeth. Anyway Duncan was a young fool who led a Scots army to defeat in Northern England. MacBeth's fall came about because his strength weakened as the Canmore's grew through alliances with the English. So ole son, he was not a mythical figure at all.

Concerning your race problem, no matter what the colour of a man's skin might be he is still a man with red blood running through his veins making him of one race, the human race. I don't care what " subset " he is of, why? Because in my eyes he is a human being to be respected as such and treated as such and in hope I want him to see me in the same manner. I have a prayer that I use quite a lot, " Lord, if I have offended anyone, may they forgive me, and, if anyone has offended me, give me the grace and power to forget forever that offence." That's what Jesus taught me.

Now concerning mistakes, we all make them. The thing is though that when I speak for the Scriptures I make sure that I with the Spirit's help I do not make any mistakes. Off Scripture is another matter and I am prone to make some especially in conversation with my dear wife and daughter as any husband and father can attest to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Never in Britain was there a tyrannical state church period.
    Excuse the intermission, what was the name of that extremely nice and not tyrannical at all guy who became head of the church just to ### a lady?

Concerning your race problem,
    Yes Akar, come on, whats your problem with races man.

Akar,

Never in Britain was there a tyrannical state church period.
    I can't help but recall one Mr. Cromwell...

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So ole son, he was not a mythical figure at all.
    \

Oh I'm familiar with the actual figure of Macbeth so I'm not suggesting he didn't exist, just that many of his deeds have been greatly exaggerated, or in the case of Shakespeare, posthumously attributed.

You can be both a real person and a mythical figure. Take Gilgamesh, for example. We know he lived, but his accomplishments and feats are greatly exaggerated. The same is true of Macbeth and many other figures from that time. Ragnar Lodbrok is a good contemporaneous example as his life was within 100 years or so of Macbeth's. Ragnar's sons are most likely a real as we can can independently verify their actions through the contemporaneous accounts from different cultures. But the same cannot be said for Ragnar himself. This means that, while he is a real person, he is also a mythical figure.

So as I've shown, it's quite possible to be both a real person, and a mythical figure.

Concerning your race problem, no matter what the colour of a man's skin might be he is still a man with red blood running through his veins making him of one race, the human race. I don't care what " subset " he is of, why? Because in my eyes he is a human being to be respected as such and treated as such and in hope I want him to see me in the same manner. I have a prayer that I use quite a lot, " Lord, if I have offended anyone, may they forgive me, and, if anyone has offended me, give me the grace and power to forget forever that offence." That's what Jesus taught me.
    Yeah I don't give a what subset someone is either, but I'm also not daft enough to claim that I literally cannot see the differences between races like you've been claiming. I'm not saying you should care what racial phenotype someone is, that's literally the opposite of what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishkin
    Yes Akar, come on, whats your problem with races man.
    I lost interest rapidly, I gotta say. There's no entertainment in watching someone run really fast. I mean, I can do that. Even if you mix it up with some vaults or relay features it's still a thoroughly un-enjoyable "sport".
    Last edited by Aexodus; October 06, 2020 at 06:49 AM. Reason: continuity

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I can't help but recall one Mr. Cromwell...
    Sar1n,

Well ole boy if you knew anything about Oliver Cromwell it would be that for five years only he loosed us from the tyrannical rule of Rome which tried and failed to quell the real Scriptural truth of God's word on these Islands.

mishkin,

Henry VIII, was certainly a naughty boy but tyrannical? I don't think that he was any more than any other kings in history. Becoming the head of the church helped make Britain what it became simply because the power of the priest was broken and people could worship God without being told how to or what to.

Akar,

Yes there are variations in our race but they are not different races. If one wants to see it they will see it but if one doesn't care then they see only humans.

Blog Entries

Sar1n,

Well ole boy
    is this new tagline an attempt at provocation? if so it's really fun.

mishkin,

Henry VIII, was certainly a naughty boy but tyrannical? I don't think that he was any more than any other kings in history. Becoming the head of the church helped make Britain what it became simply because the power of the priest was broken and people could worship God without being told how to or what to.
    Your defense now is that medieval kings (and later) were not tyrannical? what you say later doesn't make sense to me either, but hey.

basics, it is clear that I will never understand your religiosity, your vision of other religions, races, sexualities, history, nationality, etc. but surely one day we will find something that we can talk about as if we lived on the same planet. Barça or Madrid? Pizza with pineapple or is it sacrilege?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Yes there are variations in our race but they are not different races. If one wants to see it they will see it but if one doesn't care then they see only humans.
    I didn't say they were different races. Please re-read what I posted until you actually understand it before tying to respond to me.

Sar1n,

Well ole boy if you knew anything about Oliver Cromwell it would be that for five years only he loosed us from the tyrannical rule of Rome which tried and failed to quell the real Scriptural truth of God's word on these Islands.
    And what did they give instead? Even worse religious tyranny. Those goons during interregnum even made sex illegal.

mishkin

It's not a new tagline rather a form of endearment. In referring to kings or rulers I was talking of them that ruled these Islands which became the greatest Empire the world has ever known. Under them people got to worship whichever God they chose so there was nothing tyrannical about them when they could have been. Me, I am a conservative born again Baptist by faith believing in the complete Sovereignty of God.

Akar,

You claimed that I said that you, Quote, " I literally cannot see the differences between races, " meaning that there are differences between the races for which again I repeat there is only one race, the human race.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

There are differences between the races, no matter if you choose to be blind to that for some sort of internet credibility or not. All humans are homo-sapiens, but there are still distinct differences within the different subsets of homo-sapiens.

Race is defined as "a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society"

Are you denying that race exists at all, and if it does exist, are you denying that there are any differences at all between them?

Akar,

You talk of " subsets " as though they have something missing from I suppose normality. The thing is that all men have a body, brains and red blood flowing in their system so how are they subsets? Are they really inferior as it appears you're making out? If I said that I was a Scot born and bred and you lot were only a subset I could hear the screams of racism long before they reached me. We were all made in the image of God and the heirs of Adam and Eve so it follows that we all are of the one race, human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    If I said something incorrect or inaccurate feel free to correct me.

I assume you didn't actually read my post or the disclaimer if you think I've been racist or inaccurate.
    My post was tongue-in-cheek, but I have to say, the more I look into this 'race' thing, the more it sounds like nonsense to me.

Sar1n,

We miss him, don't we?

He wasn't perfect by any means, but he certainly did some good. I was just reading about his humanitarian intervention on behalf of the persecuted Christians of Savoy.

The Piedmont Easter massacre
    By mid-April, when it became clear that the Duke's efforts to force the Vaudois to conform to Catholicism had failed, he tried another approach. Under the guise of false reports of Vaudois uprisings, the Duke sent troops into the upper valleys to quell the local populace. He required that the local populace quarter the troops in their homes, which the local populace complied with. But the quartering order was a ruse to allow the troops easy access to the populace. On 24 April 1655, at 4 a.m., the signal was given for a general massacre.

According to one report by a Peter Liegé:

Little children were torn from the arms of their mothers, clasped by their tiny feet, and their heads dashed against the rocks; or were held between two soldiers and their quivering limbs torn up by main force. Their mangled bodies were then thrown on the highways or fields, to be devoured by beasts. The sick and the aged were burned alive in their dwellings. Some had their hands and arms and legs lopped off, and fire applied to the severed parts to staunch the bleeding and prolong their suffering. Some were flayed alive, some were roasted alive, some disemboweled; or tied to trees in their own orchards, and their hearts cut out. Some were horribly mutilated, and of others the brains were boiled and eaten by these cannibals. Some were fastened down into the furrows of their own fields, and ploughed into the soil as men plough manure into it. Others were buried alive. Fathers were marched to death with the heads of their sons suspended round their necks. Parents were compelled to look on while their children were first outraged [raped], then massacred, before being themselves permitted to die.

Oliver Cromwell - Liberty Magazine

Cromwell's intervention
    Two of the key episodes in the history of liberty in which he was about to take part are easy for us to admire today. The first has a particular resonance for evangelical Protestants: Cromwell’s intervention in the domestic politics of Savoy-Piedmont to save the Waldenses.

England was shocked when the news from Savoy-Piedmont arrived, foreshadowing as it did the final extermination of the Waldenses. Such a fate could not be allowed to befall those who had been, as it was thought, Protestants before the Reformation. Cromwell promptly declared May 30 a day of “national humiliation,” prayer, and fasting, and launched a public appeal for funds to aid the decimated Waldensian communities, to which he donated £2,000 from his own purse (more than US$260,000 in current values). But he did not merely act to help the survivors of the massacres, for he was well aware that they, too, might be put to the sword in due course.

He therefore also took political action. Cromwell appealed to all the Protestant states, urging them to intervene. His foreign secretary, the great poet John Milton, drafted the official letters and then composed his own personal, passionate rejection of religious massacre and plea for divine justice, in language that is still extraordinarily moving:

“Avenge, O Lord, thy slaughtered saints, whose bones

Lie scattered on the Alpine mountains cold,…

Forget not: in thy book record their groans

Who were thy sheep and in their ancient fold

Slain by the bloody Piemontese that rolled

Mother with infant down the rocks.”

Cromwell meanwhile set an example to Protestant Christendom (and, dare it be said, to later generations of Western statesmen confronted with “ethnic [or religious] cleansing,” whether in Bosnia or the Sudan). He dispatched an extraordinary ambassador to the Savoyard court at Turin and ordered the English fleet then in the Mediterranean to act against the commerce and coast of Savoy if the embassy was rebuffed. The dispatch of the fleet also had implications for the government of France—a Catholic state, but which at this time still permitted (very limited) liberty of worship to its Huguenot minority and which exercised considerable influence over its much smaller neighbor. France desired an alliance with Britain against Spain, but Cromwell’s ambassador, Samuel Morland, stopped in Paris en route to Turin and made it plain that no British military aid would be forthcoming unless the persecution of the Vaudois was halted. He hinted that if it were not, the English fleet might act against French maritime trade. France duly swung its weight behind the British demands, and when Morland arrived in Turin, the government capitulated to Cromwell’s demands.

The House of Savoy not only halted the massacres; it was also compelled to conclude a formal treaty between Duke and Protector that guaranteed to Savoy’s “heretical” minority the free exercise of their faith. Morland then distributed to the poorest of the Vaudois the money raised by popular donation in response to Cromwell’s appeal; it totaled a remarkable £39,000—equal at today’s prices to more than US$5,000,000. The Waldenses had been spared and provided with a basis for rebuilding their lives. Across Europe, Cromwell was regarded as the savior of the Vaudois, a point of view shared by the modern Waldense community, which regards his intervention as one of the most significant events of their long history. It was not, alas, the last time the Vaudois were to be vigorously persecuted, but at no other time was there such danger that they might be entirely exterminated.

Cromwellian Britain intervened in Savoy even though special foreign embassies were expensive to mount, and fleets expensive to maintain in foreign waters. Although force was not ultimately used, Cromwell seriously contemplated ordering the bombardment of Nice (then part of Savoy, not France). He had no economic incentives to act, for British commerce with Savoy was of minimal importance; the region was also strategically unimportant, for Cromwell’s foreign policy objectives focused on the Low Countries and the West Indies. He put preserving the Vaudois ahead of the valuable prospect of an alliance with France. And he was to do so again, for when a treaty was concluded with France, soon after, the price for British military aid against Spain was much greater rights for the Huguenots.

There were no benefits for Cromwell’s government or for Britain more generally to be gained by Cromwell’s actions on behalf of endangered minorities. His intervention in Savoy was altruistic and motivated by genuine concern for those who, in Milton’s vision, “kept thy truth so pure of old, when all our fathers worshipped stocks and stones.”

Ford Madox Brown's painting Cromwell, Protector of the Vaudois, depicting Milton (left), Cromwell and Andrew Marvell preparing their response to the massacre

Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

You talk of " subsets " as though they have something missing from I suppose normality
    No, I don't. That you read some sort of hidden racism into my words is entirely your own fault. I haven't said any of these differences were better or worse than others, just that they exist. They do make that race more suited to the environment they are native to, however.

The thing is that all men have a body, brains and red blood flowing in their system so how are they subsets?
    So do all dogs...

They are subsets because they have obvious differences between them, such as the ones I pointed out.

Labs and German Shepherds are both dogs, but they also have distinct differences between them.

Are they really inferior as it appears you're making out?
    Really? Find and quote for me where I said anything about one race being better than the other, or any being inferior. Go ahead, I'll wait.

f I said that I was a Scot born and bred and you lot were only a subset I could hear the screams of racism long before they reached me.
    Well, "Scot" isn't really a race so I would be screaming "ignorance" far before I was screaming "racism". Your lack of understanding of the subject doesn't mean that everyone else shares your lack of understanding.

We were all made in the image of God and the heirs of Adam and Eve so it follows that we all are of the one race, human beings
    Again, I have never said we aren't all human. If you read through my posts (like, actually read them don't just skim them) you'll see that I said we are all homo-sapiens (human) and I never suggested once that different races were different species.

I think you should re-read my posts again.

Akar,

You called me a racist and I replied that I don't see race the way you do, why? Because you talk of different races among men whereas I said that we are all of the human race, one race. Concerning the labrador and the german shepherd both are dogs. We Scots aren't really a race? Say that to a Scotsman on a Saturday night and cover your face. There is one race of men, the human race, end of story.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

We Scots aren't really a race?
    Scots isn't a race, it's a culture.

and cover your face
    Yeah, lovely culture you got there where you'll assault anyone who suggests something you disagree with

You called me a racist and I replied that I don't see race the way you do, why? Because you talk of different races among men whereas I said that we are all of the human race, one race
    So are you admitting you don't understand the difference between a race, culture, and a species?

Or are you just admitting you didn't even read my posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Scots isn't a race, it's a culture.
    Rather than "culture", I'd say "ethnicity" or "nationality", but it really wasn't that long ago that "race" meant the same thing, so that it was common to refer to "the English race" for example.

There were some guys in Central Europe around that time that made the word less popular in scientific circles. Although now, everyone seems to love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Praeses

Akar,

You should learn a bit about British history.
    British history as in the history of the region made up of England, Wales and Cornwall? Or Great Britain as in Britain plus Scotland?

For example St Patrick was not a Roman Catholic as he established churches across Ireland.
    Patrick was a Roman, born in a Roman province at a time when the Bishop of Rome was accorded a certain disciplinary authority in some church matters. At that time the disctinction between Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant minor offshoots had not yet developed.

And, having studied the life of MacBeth I learned that his wife as well as Macbeth were Christian but not Roman Catholic. Even after Roman Catholicism was forced on the different British countries there were still people who followed and believed what the missionaries had brought to their lands.
    Yes the Gaelic church, or Irish church (the Highland Gaels were often called Irish) was "taken over" and "Catholicised" by the Anglo Normans. As with Anglicanism the imposition of certain religious forms was more about politics and culture than religion. The Irish were again persecuted for their faith by the British from the 16th century, weiurdly enough for adhering to the form the British had imposed on them before. Its like religion was used as an excuse to oppress people.

The wife of MacBeth's opponent for the crown was the one who forced Romanism on the Scots and only after MacBeth's death. Rome's grip on Britain was never total and certainly didn't last for thousands of years.
    The English accepted St Augustine's calculation of Easter at Whitby in 664-IIRC peters Pence was paid by the Kings of Wessex etc and imposed on Ireland later. William I conquered England under a papal banner in 1066, and Papal suzerainty was reconfirmed by John. Fat Harry was a most loyal son until his STD made religious reform imperative. Its just over to a thousand years between Whitby and the Glorious Revolution, when Parliament decided it was the highest religious authority in Britain: Catholics (and indeed all but one sect of Christians) were excluded from a monarchy previously occupied by many Catholics, Irish Christians and Pagans because some merchants voted it so.

My dear ole son, there is only one human race so the ones claiming there are different races are the real racists. Our race, the human race, is made up of peoples of many hues so where is this coverup you imagine?
    It's just that you fell into your own trap which your superior intellect is not supposed to let you.
    What's your position on British Israel and God's chosen people? Are not the British the Chosen Race? Have you read Genesis 12, where God blesses only one nation? Surely you're not suggesting that there's only one human race and the other races are subhuman?
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat