Page 25 of 63 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Yes, I am aware of the Big Bang Theory and who Sheldon Cooper is, but I haven't watched the show and have no idea what the "Sheldon Cooper effect" is, and nor does it show up on google.

No reason to be smug about no one understanding an obscure reference to a show they haven't seen.

You seem to have once again proven my original point.
    Akar,

The point being that Sheldon doesn't do sarcasm or thinks he doesn't. Once again you make assumptions as if they were true. Firstly I'm not being smug and secondly who says that the programme is obscure in its references as you seem quite capable of sarcasm yourself. Akar, perhaps it might cheer you up a little if that's possible to watch it.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

The point being that Sheldon doesn't do sarcasm or thinks he doesn't.
    How is that "The Sheldon Cooper Effect"? I'm not sure you understand what "effect" means.

Once again you make assumptions as if they were true.
    What have I assumed?

that the programme is obscure in its references
    I'm accusing YOU of being obscure with your references, not the show. If you say something and googling it shows ZERO results for it, I think it's fair to say that it's obscure.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

How is that "The Sheldon Cooper Effect"? I'm not sure you understand what "effect" means.

What have I assumed?

I'm accusing YOU of being obscure with your references, not the show. If you say something and googling it shows ZERO results for it, I think it's fair to say that it's obscure.
    Akar,

Your right for I don't know what even the Akar effect is.

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Akar,

Your right for I don't know what even the Akar effect is.
    Well, it's probably not as cool as the Jesus effect.

2 Corinthians 5

7 Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.
    Former head hunters describe how the acceptance of Christianity among the Naga people of Nagaland, India brought an end to tribal warfare and the practice of head hunting (collecting the heads of your enemies and victims as trophies).

Nagaland is known as "the only predominantly Baptist state in the world" and "the most Baptist state in the world."[67][68][69] Baptists constitute more than 50% of the state's population, thus making it more Baptist than Mississippi in the southern United States, where 45% of the population is Baptist.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pretty cool, isn't it
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

lol are you seriously going to trust the comments on a youtube video?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

lol are you seriously going to trust the comments on a youtube video?
    Akar,

Why not, isn't Richard Dawkins often on youtube and you believe him?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Do you think the comments on a youtube video and a filmed interview uploaded on youtube are the same thing?

Do you think the comments on a youtube video and a filmed interview uploaded on youtube are the same thing?
    Akar,

It's not the setting that defines anyone, rather what comes out of their mouths. My mother used to say quite often to me, " All that glitters is not gold," and how so true that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Well, it's probably not as cool as the Jesus effect.

Former head hunters describe how the acceptance of Christianity among the Naga people of Nagaland, India brought an end to tribal warfare and the practice of head hunting (collecting the heads of your enemies and victims as trophies).

Nagaland is known as "the only predominantly Baptist state in the world" and "the most Baptist state in the world."[67][68][69] Baptists constitute more than 50% of the state's population, thus making it more Baptist than Mississippi in the southern United States, where 45% of the population is Baptist.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pretty cool, isn't it
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 28
    18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
    Indeed it is.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Akar,

It's not the setting that defines anyone, rather what comes out of their mouths.
    So you're saying that a random youtube comment by an anonymous person bears exactly as much weight as an interview between an accredited scientist and a journalist?

My mother used to say quite often to me, " All that glitters is not gold," and how so true that is.
    What the does this have to do with anything?

So you're saying that a random youtube comment by an anonymous person bears exactly as much weight as an interview between an accredited scientist and a journalist?

What the does this have to do with anything?
    Akar,

The answer is yes because i'm more likely to get more sense out of the man in the street than I am with Dawkins and as for journalists they are two a penny who need a " good story " to make headlines whether it is true to fact or not. So Dawkins may glitter for you but not for many others like me. Has the penny dropped?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

This kind of ignorant anti-intellectualism is exactly what's wrong with the world today. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

This kind of ignorant anti-intellectualism is exactly what's wrong with the world today. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.
    Akar,

Well the world has been run by your idea of intellectuals for a long long time now and yet you are about the unhappiest person I have crossed swords with and right now it is the so-called intellectuals who are rioting, burning and looting, led on by these so-called eintellectuals. What's sad is that us ordinary blokes and our families are supposed to take it all in our stride and do and say nothing.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Well the world has been run by your idea of intellectuals for a long long time now
    Are you ignoring the past 1000+ years of tyrannical theocratic rule?

you are about the unhappiest person I have crossed swords with
    I'm not unhappy, so I have no idea where you keep getting that from. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm unhappy. I'm perfectly content.

it is the so-called intellectuals who are rioting, burning and looting, led on by these so-called eintellectuals.
    Source?

What's sad is that us ordinary blokes and our families are supposed to take it all in our stride and do and say nothing.
    If you're silent and say nothing about racism, you're not an "ordinary bloke", you're a racist.

Akar,

Don't know what country you are of but Great Britain has never been a tyrannical theocracy. I don't believe the rest of the world's nations were either but I could be wrong on perhaps one or two examples. As for the rioting, burning and killing I think you'll find that in Great Britain and America it is the so-called intelligensia being left wing orientated who are urging and supporting them as has always been the case. As I have said more than once on these threads, I have never seen a black man or a white man but I do know quite a few of many different hues to their skin, some being brothers and sisters in Christ at the church I attend so if that's being racist I stand accused. However, that said, my answer to the race question is at the ballot box for that is where the real power of the anti-racist is best found and legally done. There is no reason for burning, looting and killing no matter what the cause is.

If you're silent and say nothing about racism, you're not an "ordinary bloke", you're a racist.

Cope,

I don't think Akar will appreciate that.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Most of your post was incoherent word salad, but I'll respond to the two sentences I can make out.

Don't know what country you are of but Great Britain has never been a tyrannical theocracy.
    Just going to ignore the whole state run church and papacy situation that the whole of Europe (including Britian) was involved in?

. As I have said more than once on these threads, I have never seen a black man or a white man but I do know quite a few of many different hues to their skin
    Yeah, no. Anyone who is spouting this "I dont see race" nonsense is clearly a racist trying to cover for something. It's not wrong to admit you are aware of different races, it is wrong to lie and pretend like you're so far above race you can't even see color.

I don't think Akar will appreciate that.
    What, repeating what I said back at me? I don't appreciate it the low effort response, if that's what you mean.

Akar,

You should learn a bit about British history. For example St Patrick was not a Roman Catholic as he established churches across Ireland. And, having studied the life of MacBeth I learned that his wife as well as Macbeth were Christian but not Roman Catholic. Even after Roman Catholicism was forced on the different British countries there were still people who followed and believed what the missionaries had brought to their lands. The wife of MacBeth's opponent for the crown was the one who forced Romanism on the Scots and only after MacBeth's death. Rome's grip on Britain was never total and certainly didn't last for thousands of years.

My dear ole son, there is only one human race so the ones claiming there are different races are the real racists. Our race, the human race, is made up of peoples of many hues so where is this coverup you imagine?

It's just that you fell into your own trap which your superior intellect is not supposed to let you.