Page 40 of 63 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Friday/Saturday/Sunday morning preaching.

Consider that a new creation in Christ Jesus still retains its memories so the temptation will always be there to cut corners thinking it won't matter and so this is the race that Paul talks of and what the Lord prays about that even the simplest of things won't steer us in the wrong direction. It's hard to do and why we need those prayers.

Indefinitely Banned

Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by enoch View Post
    Wrong.
    enoch,

Give us the right then?

The Sermon on the Mount

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Matthew 5 through 7

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

The Beatitudes

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
    6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
    7 Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
    8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God.
    9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
    for they will be called children of God.
    10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Salt and Light

13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Murder

21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,’ and ‘Anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ will be subject to the Sanhedrin. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.

Adultery

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

Eye for Eye

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

True and False Disciples

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    enoch,

Give us the right then?
    I lack the narcissistic and so forth personality traits which allow one to believe they know the right way and those which would compel me to express to others such certainty. I like math and the scientific method and observable behaviors. Such things.

I lack the narcissistic and so forth personality traits which allow one to believe they know the right way and those which would compel me to express to others such certainty. I like math and the scientific method and observable behaviors. Such things.
    enoch,

Observable behaviours were seen and written of regarding the power of Jesus Christ to raise the dead, heal the sick walk on water and even turn water into wine. I have seen that power in other events, even in my own life, so why would I not believe on Him?

Indefinitely Banned

enoch,

Observable behaviours were seen and written of regarding the power of Jesus Christ to raise the dead, heal the sick walk on water and even turn water into wine. I have seen that power in other events, even in my own life, so why would I not believe on Him?
    Because none of that is true dude. One has to be realistic.

Because none of that is true dude. One has to be realistic.
    enoch,

So what I have seen with my own eyes isn't true?

No. Relax, you were just tripping, it's fine.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    No. Relax, you were just tripping, it's fine.
    Gromovnik,

What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by John 14
    Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
    6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
    8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
    9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
    10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
    11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
    12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
    13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
    14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
    15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
    16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
    18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
    19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
    20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
    21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
    22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
    23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
    24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
    25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
    26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
    27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pslam 126
    When the Lord turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream.
    2 Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The Lord hath done great things for them.
    3 The Lord hath done great things for us; whereof we are glad.
    4 Turn again our captivity, O Lord, as the streams in the south.
    5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
    6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Indefinitely Banned

enoch,

So what I have seen with my own eyes isn't true?
    It’s probably true. Your brain was unable to understand and thus process explanations for why so you rationalized supernatural causes. Happens to lots of people. Great news is less and less as education and access to reality increase globally.

enoch,

Oh it is perfectly true because I wasn't the only witness in many of the cases I saw and there was nothing rational about them other than them being Supernatural. One can see that education is a necessity but one doesn't have to be a brainbox to know God. Look at China and see its advancements and funnily enough it has the largest growing church in the world at the moment. Why even Iran is experiencing huge numbers of converts and rivals China.

Exodus 3

13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

“I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”

- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Oh it is perfectly true because I wasn't the only witness in many of the cases I saw and there was nothing rational about them other than them being Supernatural. One can see that education is a necessity but one doesn't have to be a brainbox to know God. Look at China and see its advancements and funnily enough it has the largest growing church in the world at the moment. Why even Iran is experiencing huge numbers of converts and rivals China.
    Just assuming that what you say is true (which I doubt) this reminds me of the XKCD comic about population maps...

Whoa, you're telling me that places with the fastest growing populations have the largest amounts of people joining a religion?

I'd love to see some numbers or a source for your claim.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Akar,

I googled this,

Where is Christianity growing the fastest? The Center for the Study of Global Christianity, based at Gordon Conwell Seminary, published In June 2013 an excellent report regarding Christianity in its Global Context. The full report can be found online at www.globalchristianity.org/globalcontext. From this report I identified the top 20 countries that have the highest percentage Christianity Average Annual Growth Rate (AAGR). They are listed in Table 1. I have also calculated the number of years for the number of Christians to double, based on the Average Annual Growth Rate.

Table 1. The Top 20 Countries Where Christianity Has the Highest Percentage Growth Rate
    Rank Country Continent Christian AAGR Years to double Majority Religion Percent Christian 1970 Percent Christian 2020

Nepal Asia, South Central

10.93%

Hindu

0.1%

3.8%

China Asia, Eastern

10.86%

Non-religious

0.1%

10.6%

United Arab Emirates Arabian Peninsula

9.34%

Muslim

5.9%

12.9%

Saudi Arabia Arabian Peninsula

9.27%

Muslim

0.3%

4.6%

Qatar Arabian Peninsula

7.81%

Muslim

4.5%

9.5%

Oman Arabian Peninsula

7.62%

Muslim

0.5%

4.6%

Yemen Arabian Peninsula

7.09%

Muslim

0.0%

0.2%

Mongolia Asia, Eastern

5.96%

Buddhist

0.3%

2.0%

Cambodia Asia, South-eastern

5.87%

Buddhist

0.5%

3.6%

Bahrain Arabian Peninsula

5.49%

Muslim

3.9%

7.9%

Benin Africa, Western

4.85%

Christian

18.1%

47.8%

Burkina Faso Africa, Western

4.81%

Muslim

9.0%

24.8%

South Sudan Africa, Eastern

4.67%

Christian

22.7%

63.8%

Bhutan Asia, South Central

4.60%

Buddhist

0.3%

1.1%

Mali Africa, Western

4.54%

Muslim

1.4%

3.8%

Brunei Asia, South-eastern

4.49%

Muslim

5.8%

14.1%

Guinea Africa, Western

4.44%

Muslim

1.3%

3.8%

Kuwait Arabian Peninsula

4.26%

Muslim

5.1%

9.2%

Singapore Asia, South-eastern

4.12%

Buddhist

7.8%

21.7%

Turks and Caicos Islands Caribbean

3.97%

Christian

99.5%

91.6%

What’s happening in these countries?

Are you surprised to see that 19 of the countries in the top 20 are in Asia and Africa
    Did you notice 11 countries on the top 20 list are Muslim majority countries?
    Did you catch that not a single country from Europe, Northern America or Latin America makes the top 20 list?
    Did you notice the world’s newest country, South Sudan? South Sudan became an independent country in July 2011, separating from the Muslim majority of Northern Sudan.
    Did you see that highest Christian growth rates are found among all major non-Christian religious groups: Hindus, Non-Religious, Buddhists, Muslims and Ethno-religionists (Benin and South Sudan)
    Did you observe that the majority of the top 20 countries are clustered in three areas: Eastern Asia, Western Africa and the Arabian Peninsula.

Clearly some interesting things are happening in these countries. I shall look a bit deeper at what factors are contributing to the growth of Christianity in each area.

Asia heads of the pack

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

While I appreciate that you're not providing sources, a group called "The Center for the Study of Global Christianity" based out of a Seminary is not a very objective or believable source.

Your link does not actually go to any page that has those numbers you quote, or in fact any of what you quoted, on the page. What are the sources for this claimed growth?

Are you surprised to see that 19 of the countries in the top 20 are in Asia and Africa
    And we're back to the population maps comic again...

Akar,

Just google countries where Christianity is growing fast. There's a whole screed of listings for you to chose from. That aside for many years my church has joined others in collecting funds for Bibles to be sent to China. They never seemed to get enough so it didn't surprise me that when I read somewhere China had a growing Christian population that God was moving among that people.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So you don't have a source for the numbers you provided? Curious....

That aside for many years my church has joined others in collecting funds for Bibles to be sent to China. They never seemed to get enough so it didn't surprise me that when I read somewhere China had a growing Christian population that God was moving among that people.
    Yeah they "never get enough" because they're making a load off of your donations and 'sending bibles to China' (which, by the way, if they even are sending bibles to China they are all being seized at customs).

Just google countries where Christianity is growing fast.
    I'm not going to provide your sources for you. If you make a claim and expect people to believe it you should be providing evidence for that claim. Any claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Akar,

No, aparently not all. Surely the google evidence can be trusted to show a good picture of what is happening in China? I probably won't be around in a few years so I won't be able to confirm what I have read or heard regarding China so assuming you are or will be try googling to see if I was correct or you. So ole bean I stand by what I wrote about Christianity fastly growing in China.