Thread: How script-able are mods?

Default How script-able are mods?

I was reading Border Prince lore and noticed they were very different to what I had imagined them to be. I was under the impression they were noble defenders of the empire against unforgiving orc lands but instead I learned that they were formed by a combination of former Bretonnian crusaders and highly ambitious adventurers but also political/religious refugees from other human lands. The worst of their inhabitants actually lead the lifestyles of bandits, mercenaries, cut-throats, pirates, and other lawless opportunists.

This was a suprise to me and I was wondering if you could program the game with new faction mechanics? I was thinking about how the Vampire Coast in WHII can establish coves after defeating a settlement and can leech a portion of their income, would this be do-able in WHI?

Can you also edit already present mechanics? I was wondering if I could convert the peasant system from Bretonnia into a mercenary one for Tilea where if you have too many mercenaries they will rebel and form their own faction but they are also pretty available and decent (I read that mercenaries were a pain for Italy in The Prince by Machiavelli so that inspired this).

Sorry about these noob questions, I wanted to mod the game awhile back but never got around to it, this will be my first time modding and it looks pretty exiting to me if not a bit tedious at times, haha. Any answers would be appreciated! Finally, I am aware that there is a very quality TEB mod out there already but I just want to have fun with things and enjoy tinkering with the game.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: How script-able are mods?

First, don't expect being able to port WHII mechanism to WHI. This requires piece of code added by CA for WHII only. You could however have it work with ME, and so with Border Princes.

Then, you seems to be mixing two things: db /startpos editing and scripting.

You can already do a lot of mod stuff based on db/startpos editing, without scripts. It is easier to do, and less likely to go wrong: with RPFM editor for exemple, you have most errors displayed in red, so correctign a typo is easier.

Scripts give additional modding possibilities, and open many things. But they are harder to do, and correcting mistakes is more complex.

About cove: there are already the base for the Vampirates and for Skaven. So in theory it should be moddable, however I'm not sure someone actually managed to expand it to another faction. But anyway, you will not be able to make it work with WHI.

About peasant system: I'm not sure how easy it is to convert that to what you want, using the food mechanism. But you can certainly coutn how many units a faction currently has, and generate rebellion based on some conditions. Maybe not easy to do and balance, but in theory i don't see why you couldn't do that.

Alright, I'm going to start on some easier things like changing faction names and unlocking others while adding units and such things, later on I'll build up to bigger endeavors with scripting when I'm more experienced.

Thanks again! I really do appreciate it. Time to actually get modding, haha.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

That's a good approach. In term of complexisty
    - Changing faction names, unlocking in custom battles, adding units : easy, uou just have to edit the db wirh RPFM
    - Unlocking factions in campaign: more complex, requires editing the startpos, which raise compatibility issues.