Thread: Crediting Inactive Users and Modders

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Crediting Inactive Users and Modders

I have a question regarding the ethics of borrowing assets and ideas from modders who are inactive. As far as I am aware, there has not been much discussion on this topic, but is important especially considering the state of the site especially in respect to older games.

In my situation, I am working on a mod that borrows a few ideas that were discussed and then used in a previous mod. Specifically, I would like to implement my own interpretation for this idea and want to make sure I implement them with proper respect to the original designer. The problem is that this user has not been online in five years, and so is therefore presumably unreachable. In this case, it is merely following off an idea that was then applied - the mod is all my own original material (or, well, CA's original assets). Is there a statute of limitations for claiming credit for ideas?

What would be the most ethical and respectful way of attributing the idea to an inactive modder?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: Crediting Inactive Users and Modders

If its just an idea, I don't see a problem with using it. If you really want to credit them, just provide a line of credit somewhere on the mod page.
    z3n or Gigantus would be the best to ask though.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

During my 'tenure' I have had the following stand:

1. graphics and models - permissions are a must to use material. Which means you will have to make your own stuff and sufficiently different if you do not get permission.
    2. code and script - this is about bragging rights as there simply is no way to 'copyright' this matter. Plagiarizing (passing someone's idea off as your own) is a fast way to get very unpopular, so take care to credit the original idea when you are (made) aware of it.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    I have a question regarding the ethics of borrowing assets and ideas from modders who are inactive. As far as I am aware, there has not been much discussion on this topic, but is important especially considering the state of the site especially in respect to older games.
    Agreed. It has not been discussed much, but one should always credit a modder regardless how active a modder is.

It's even more important to credit a modder who has retired or hasn't been online for a very long time as we all have a RL to live.

In my situation, I am working on a mod that borrows a few ideas that were discussed and then used in a previous mod. Specifically, I would like to implement my own interpretation for this idea and want to make sure I implement them with proper respect to the original designer. The problem is that this user has not been online in five years, and so is therefore presumably unreachable. In this case, it is merely following off an idea that was then applied - the mod is all my own original material (or, well, CA's original assets). Is there a statute of limitations for claiming credit for ideas?
    It's irrevelant if a modder hasn't been online or not as that are not a valid excuse for using resources from a mod without asking for permission.

Now, I've been a member here for almost 10 years and if I compare of how it is in the TW modding community with the TES modding community I notice that there are a few major differences between these two modding communities.

TES: 1) Asking for permission is mandatory, except for lost or old mods that's preserved on MMH. - 2) The TES community has a solid mod hosting structure which have survived over the years despite several community sites are now defunct sites.

Defunct sites - ElricM, PES, GamersRoam, tesmods.net, ElderScrolls FileFront etc etc.

TW: 1) Doesn't seems to have a solid mod hosting structure. - 2) I still need to see a mod that has a readme in the TW community that's similiar to what I am used to see in the TES community.

What would be the most ethical and respectful way of attributing the idea to an inactive modder?
    The most respectable way to do is to always ask permission first then if a modder hasn't respond in let say 3-6 months ask the admins for the site the modder was most active about permission to use resources from a mod. After that always credit the modder with "Originally created by <modder>" in the description.

If you release a mod that has resources from another mod without permission and someone is asking you "Do you have permission for this mod?". Take down the mod in question and don't start argue about it.

You can always ask around if anyone who knows where the modder is or who knows if the modder has retired or is inactive before releasing a mod.
    Last edited by Leonardo; November 15, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.