Thread: Edessa Campaign

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Edessa Campaign

With the decision made, between the Count and his commanders, an army marched from Edessa to take the location of Ranculat, which was situated up the Euphrates. With the Count of Edessa leading the army, and an appropriate garrison left behind, the army marched on the day appointed and made its journey for Ranculat.

Commanders
    Baldwin, Count of Edessa
    +2 to Battles, +1 to Survival, +2 to Personal Combat

Joscelin, Lord of Turbessel
    +2 Battles, +1 Personal Combat, +2 Survival

Hugh, Lord of Ravendel
    +2 Battles, +2 Personal Combat, +2 Survival

Edessa Army: 2,500 men
    250 knights
    500 archers/crossbowmen
    750 heavy infantry
    1,000 light infantry
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Default Re: Edessa Campaign

"Ranculat"

Said the count atop his stallion, wearing mail hauberk but with a naked head. His helm and lance are held by a squire.

"Such a barbarous and odd name. But anyway"

He stands on the stirrups.

"Prepare the host, battle array. But remember, we're here to convince not to kill, if necessary. Send our envoys to the castle and ask for their surrender and incorporation to the county of Edessa. They shall be incorporated to the county as fully-fledged vassals, if the lord of the castle swears fealty to me"

Yelled Baldwin to his retainers and companions. The he turned on the saddle to face his host.

"It's God's will"

And mine too, of course.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

The emissary returns, after a lengthy wait. The Lord of Ranculat offers homage to Baldwin, but refuses to pay tribute or provide troops to the Count.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    The emissary returns, after a lengthy wait. The Lord of Ranculat offers homage to Baldwin, but refuses to pay tribute or provide troops to the Count.
    "What a rascal..."

The count scratched his head.

"Send a counter offer, tell him a woman of his kindred shall marry one of my knights and companions, one of his kindred may join my court and he shall be granted passage rights on the river. Plus, we will respect their churches and priests. But, he must do as any other vassal and swear to send troops in case of need and pay whatever duties he's obligued to by law"

The messenger bows and leaves. The count then gives indications:

"Prepare the men, if he refuses I want a full assault as soon as possible. Pillage the lands and seize the castle"

For some time, Baldwin hears nothing. Eventually, however, a rider returns, telling the Count that his lord will comply to the request in exchange for protection from Seljuk raiders to the north.

Ranculat gives Edessa's budget 200 dinars and 200 men

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Joscelin was pleased to hear of Ranculat's submission. He looks to the Count as the army moves in to secure the town.

Excellent work, my Lord. With Ranculat's position, we control quite the section of the Euphrates. A rich land, ripe for cultivation to feed our soldiers.

He then points to the West.

Once Ranculat is secure, we should move for Talupe. It should help strengthen the border between Turbessel and Ravendel.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

"I concur and then, onto Nicopolis, which shall estabilize our borders"

And then, he would have to make place and be sure all those called emirs remained beyond those borders. He hoped that, by then, Jerusalem would be in Christian hands. Freed. And ruled by the proper man... Godfrey would work and he had always been a frail man.

"Well negotiated, my lord."

Hugh had garbed himself in loose fitting silks as the Turks and Arabs did, his squire following shortly carrying his leather and chainmail on one of the lighter and faster horses of the East.

"Will we stop in Ravendel, before the campaign concludes?"

The Lord had not yet visited his granted lands, and his mind had filled with wonder at the prospect of holding his own fief.

The count waved a hand, dismissing the compliment. He leans on the saddle's high pommel.

"We might very well do, it's your duty as my vassal to serve as my host. And, such, I will also learn more about my domain and my new vassals..."

He said.

"But there're still weeks of dusty roads and pathways before you may frolic in your castle"

They had arrived to Talupe. Another small, yet strategic castle. When he came to Edessa, propelled forward by the very particular context of that city and estate, Baldwin had left many unconquered places on his wake, but now, as the county's ruler, he needed to affirm his power by establishing solid borders. Before the castle, at safe distance, he erected his camp, with sentries and trenches, cross banners high over the tents and pabillions. But, first he made the usual display of power, knights and men arranged in neat lines. He sent forth emissaries requesting the very same he had requested before. Nice words could be the prelude of a storm.

This time, the fortress opens its gates, with the lord’s men sent out to welcome the Count of Edessa into the castle. It seems that his offer had been accepted, for the lord was willing to swear fealty to this new power in the region in exchange for the protection his undoubted military might provided.

"These Armenians are a treacherous lot. I want everyone to pay atention"

Said the count.

"But, act casual. Hugh, you come with me. Open your eyes wide. Joscelin, ready the men for a counter charge in case things go awry"

He then spurred the horse forward. Baldwin raised his hand as a salute, clad in a mail glove.

"Hail, I understand you want to offer me your allegiance. You shall not regret it"

The count was surrounded by his close retainers. The banners fluttering.

“We want to swear you fealty, lord, in exchange for your protection. The city of Aleppo threatens us with attack and has begun harassing our lands.”

Said one Armenian, translated into Frankish for the Count’s convenience.

“We would beg your assistance in this matter, lord, for if we are few in number and will be destroyed should the Turks come with any meaningful force.”

"If you so swear, to offer me advice and support, you shall receive my protection. Your men shall server under my banners, your sons in my court as squires and the emir will have to attack me if he ambitions your lands"

Said the count, reassuringly.

Oaths are given, with the Armenian dropping to one knee and offering his fealty to the Count of Edessa.

Edessa’s budget increases by 300 and the manpower by 300.