Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victor's Gathering

Default Victor's Gathering

A day had passed since the Crusaders had fulfilled their vow of taking Jerusalem. The slaughter had finished, leaving the city a desolate, morbid place; mass graves were being dug outside the city for the innumerable number of men, women, and children slain at the hands of God's chosen. They had taken Jersualem, but what would become of it? And so the nobles and prelates gathered in the shadow of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre to debate what would become of their prize.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: Victor's Gathering

Raymond counted the numbers lost and ensured they were given Christian burials. In the days, after the siege, his sentries upon the Tower of David noticed the return of former citizens of Jerusalem, Christians who had been expelled before the Crusaders arrived. They were given food and water upon their arrival and found shelter. On the appointed day, Raymond came to the Church, entering to see it had been relatively untouched by the attack. Still, the most important of days had come and Toulouse hoped to succeed.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Eustace is present with the Lotharingians and Frankish nobles, having cleaned himself up and taken up quarters near Solomon's Temple left 'abandoned' by their former owners.

--

Gaston is at Raymond's side, largely having been with the Count for the majority of the battle. The conflict had wearied him, for he had attempted in vain to prevent the slaughter of those seeking refuge in the Holy Places, but he hoped that the capture of the city promised a new beginning.

--

Father Stephen of Arras, having taken no part in the massacre, entered the city once the wanton violence had ended. Indeed, he had taken up his residence in the Church of the Sepulchre itself, and had prepared envoys sent to the Pope informing him of the capture of the Holy City.

Raymond of Alθs is present, standing among the Occitan nobles and knights.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

John Talbot stood in attendance. Blood still on his tunic.

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Tancred de Hauteville, worn and weary from the previous day, attended the gathering as well. He stood among the other Italo-Norman lords.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Hugh Capet entered the room wearing the his families coat of arms, he was descended from French Kings and he wanted everyone to remember that.

Gilbert de Clare entered with his cousin Robert de Normandie

Levon entered the room with him he brought a Anglosaxon priest as a translator, Levon knew Latin and French but never had the opportunity to learn the languages represented in the room

Section Editor ES
    • Librarian • Local Moderator • Citizen • CdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

With the majority of the nobles gathered, father Stephen ascended onto a makeshift podium, elevated above all others. Until now, it was unclear who exactly had arranged this meeting.

“My lords. Today the sun rose for the first time in many years on a Christian Jerusalem. Our vows have been fulfilled, and I expect many of you will return home.”

He allowed the words to settle for a moment, adjusting his robe of sack cloth that he still wore. Dreadfully uncomfortable, at first, but he had grown used to a lack of luxury.

“I have sent word to our Holy Father with news of our victory. But it will take some weeks to reach him, and Jerusalem remains surrounded by enemies of God. This city must be protected!”

Father Stephen raised an admonishing finger high into the air, to the heavens.

“I ask that the Princes who embarked upon this pilgrimage choose now amongst themselves who shall remain behind and take up the burden of being Defender of Jerusalem. Who among you can govern this land in the name of God and the Roman Church?”

There was another lengthy pause. A throng of clerics had gathered around Stephen.

“You shall vote, as they do in the Roman Kingdom. Step forward, if you wish to claim this responsibility.”

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

John Talbot was no prince, thus he remained standing where he stood. Another day an other time he might claim something he figured.

Citizen

Raymond looks among his Occitan nobles who had their eyes firmly upon Toulouse. The Count steps forward, positioning himself as the first nominee.

I will put forth my claim to be Defender of Jerusalem!

Citizen

Hugh felt this was his destiny, his older brother ruling France whilst himself ruling over the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

Hugh stepped forward to become King

——————————

Gilbert de Clare wanted to become King but he wouldn’t put his name before his own cousin, should Robert decide to not run he will put his name forward

———————

this is was a rare opportunity, they were electing a monarch. Levon was no prince, nor was he a Latin, or a catholic, his election would be unlikely but it was an opportunity he didn’t have before. Levon steps forward to put his name in the ring of contention

Section Editor ES

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    This is was a rare opportunity, they were electing a monarch. Levon was no prince, nor was he a Latin, or a catholic, his election would be unlikely but it was an opportunity he didn’t have before. Levon steps forward to put his name in the ring of contention
    Raymond holds his arm up, stopping Levon from coming any further.

The good father indicated princes of this Crusade, Sir Levon. You are no such prince... you never took the holy vows we did some years back.

The Occitan nobleman did not like the idea of this foreigner thinking he had a chance. He and his fellow Latins had trekked far from across Europe, fought hard into Anatolia, and bled much to take Antioch and Jerusalem. This knight merely joined them out of convenience, nothing more, in the eyes of Raymond. He turns then to Father Stephen, nodding to Levon.

Do you consider this Armenian our equal or should he step back, Father Stephen? I do not see the foundation that he seems to believe he has for a supposed claim...

Raymond looks at the Armenian, a nobody thinking he was worthy. How laughable.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM.

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

The Normans

Robert Curthose stepped forward. Surrounding him were the Norman Knights, who were spattered with blood, and dirt, and grime from the ferocious battle. The Norman camp was stocked with booty, and many of the knights were drunk with wine.

”Friends, countrymen, we stand here in the midst of our glorious triumph. The Holy City has been returned to Christian hands, and we have won. But the war is not yet finished. As we talk, the Fatimids are marshaling their forces near Ascalon and they threaten to undo everything we have fought for on this day.”

“We need a leader, and one that will have the support of the Kingdoms of Europe should we need reinforcements. I believe, as the Duke of Normandy and the heir to the Kingdom of England, I am that leader. Let us unite behind one banner, the Sign of the Cross, and let us drive the Saracen from the Holy Land.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Raymond holds his arm up, stopping Levon from coming any further.

The good father indicated princes of this Crusade, Sir Levon. You are no such prince... you never took the holy vows we did some years back.

The Occitan nobleman did not like the idea of this foreigner thinking he had a chance. He and his fellow Latins had trekked far from across Europe, fought hard into Anatolia, and bled much to take Antioch and Jerusalem. This knight merely joined them out of convenience, nothing more, in the eyes of Raymond. He turns then to Father Stephen, nodding to Levon.

Do you consider this Armenian our equal or should he step back, Father Stephen? I do not see the foundation that he seems to believe he has for a supposed claim...

Raymond looks at the Armenian, a nobody thinking he was worthy. How laughable.

"I presume this Armenian believes he can defend Jerusalem with nought but sticks and earth. Where are his soldiers?"

Stephen admonished, scarcely containing his delight that even Count Raymond would defer to his authority in such a way.

"He is not worth considering. Anyone else?"

----

The Count of Boulogne stepped forward, turning to address the rest of the nobles.

"I speak for the Lord Godfrey, who led all of us into the city. There is no man more capable than he in war, none so focused on our goal of the Holy City that drove us onward to capture it, even as others sought to advance their own positions. I am proud to call him brother, and would be prouder still to follow him to Ascalon and smash our foes to make safe this city!"

With that, Eustace withdrew, content at the positive response among the Lotharingian barons.

Citizen

Raymond was pleased with the answer from Father Stephen, turning back to Levon and nodding his head away, saying not a word. The gesture was enough to indicate to the knight that he should step away.

When his attention turns back, he sees Eustace speak up for the Count of Boulogne. A worthy rival for the title of Defender of Jerusalem. Robert's candidancy almost made this a three way war considering the main contingents were nearly split between these three individuals of the Crusade. Toulouse gave no heed to Hugh's claim, considering it a rather minor cause based on Vermandois's small support.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    The Normans

Robert Curthose stepped forward. Surrounding him were the Norman Knights, who were spattered with blood, and dirt, and grime from the ferocious battle. The Norman camp was stocked with booty, and many of the knights were drunk with wine.
    ”Friends, countrymen, we stand here in the midst of our glorious triumph. The Holy City has been returned to Christian hands, and we have won. But the war is not yet finished. As we talk, the Fatimids are marshaling their forces near Ascalon and they threaten to undo everything we have fought for on this day.”

“We need a leader, and one that will have the support of the Kingdoms of Europe should we need reinforcements. I believe, as the Duke of Normandy and the heir to the Kingdom of England, I am that leader. Let us unite behind one banner, the Sign of the Cross, and let us drive the Saracen from the Holy Land.”

Hugh speaks

Robert you are right in many accounts, but do you wish to become King of England or Jerusalem? You can not be both, for one kingdom is thousands of miles apart from the other. I too am a prince of a Realm, a Prince of France. As we speak now my brother sits on the throne of France, electing myself as King would ensure a familial bond between the Kingdom of Jerusalem and France, and ensure the security of this kingdom.

Section Editor ES

Citizen

Raymond turns when Hugh's speaks up. So the mouse had a voice?

And yet, Hugh, your contingent provided the least support on this Crusade. While your brother may be King, he is still just the same distance as England. His concerns will keep him away from the Holy Lands.

Toulouse smelled a lot of contradictory within the tone and words of Hugh.

Your promise of the King of France's support due to a familial bond is nothing but writing on paper and words thrown into the air.

Everyone knew that King Philippe's power was rivaled by the various nobles of his realm. Nobles such as Burgundy, Anjou, and Aquitaine probably outshine the King of France.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 16, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Raymond turns when Hugh's speaks up. So the mouse had a voice?

And yet, Hugh, your contingent provided the least support on this Crusade. While your brother may be King, he is still just the same distance as England. His concerns will keep him away from the Holy Lands.

Toulouse smelled a lot of contradictory within the tone and words of Hugh.

Your promise of the King of France's support due to a familial bond is nothing but writing on paper and words thrown into the air.

Everyone knew that King Philippe's power was rivaled by the various nobles of his realm. Nobles such as Burgundy, Anjou, and Aquitaine probably outshine the King of France.
    Lord Raymond, I concede that my brother has his own concerns in France and will focus his efforts to maintain his own realm. But let’s not brush aside the value of familial ties to Europe after all we are still in need of more troops and having familial relations with the kings of Europe will aid our cause

Section Editor ES

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Lord Raymond, I concede that my brother has his own concerns in France and will focus his efforts to maintain his own realm. But let’s not brush aside the value of familial ties to Europe after all we are still in need of more troops and having familial relations with the kings of Europe will aid our cause
    Raymond points above them all.

God will provide, Lord Hugh. For certainly, our strength and our will brought us here, but it was faith that preserved us. And faith will provide as it has before.

Toulouse gestures to all others present.

All our families can do the same as you offer. In fact, there are some families who could provide more than the King of France, this is a truth.

Once more, the Occitan would gesture, but this time to the Church they stood within.

And once news comes of Jerusalem's capture, the faithful will flock. Whether they be peasant, knight, or noble. And it will be by their faith that will make them come.

Raymond then turns to Hugh.

Consider though that the swords and spears of France are far away... we must look to our own strength and hope that our homes will send reinforcements. Thus, I say, you cannot invoke your brother's name here to support your claim, Lord Vermandois. For if you were made Defender and your brother does not do such things, then your words will be nothing but empty promises and only serve to give the realm anxiety.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 16, 2019 at 12:29 PM.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

"My most Christian Lords"

Richard interrupted the assembled nobles when they claimed Jeruzalem. He'd be interacting more and more with the other nobles of the crusade after Jeruzalem had been taken from the Saracens.

"While we nominate nobles on the merits of military prowress and ties to the great families of our old lands we should nominate somebody on the basis of religious sincerity"

Richard didn't doubt alot of these nobles would use Jeruzalem as their personal "gain" rather than servind the city for Christendom.

"We should nominate somebody who would stay the closest to the ways of our Savior and how he would a ruler to be, and that is in my opinion Godfrey" From what he observed he seemed to be the most sincere man, putting his beliefs always before worldly powers and luxuries.

Veritas Temporis Filia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast