Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Participation Award

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Default Re: Participation Award

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Do non citizens vote here? If yes... opposed. It's simple vanity award that would only entice people to show up, make crap posts, clog the forums and confound interesting threads for no real gain for the site. We need quality, not quantity.
    Opposed x2.
    The sites dead as it ing is anyway so more participation would help a lot.

alhoon's Avatar Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    The sites dead as it ing is anyway so more participation would help a lot.
    It is not dead as it has thousands of posts each week and thousands of individual visitors each day (1031 logged at this time). Yes, it is less active than it was pre-facebook. That doesn't make the site dead.
    I will always prefer quality over quantity. 50-100 posters is all it takes to have a great forum and we have way more than 50 (~3000 active members).

An award for "being here" sounds needy and sad like "please, please, log in and post even if it is filler posts so that we can balloon our size". This would degrade the quality of the site and make good posts harder to find.

I remain opposed.
    Last edited by alhoon; November 17, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)

Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

First of all the thread's premise is a joke. Secondly compared to a few years ago before reddit/steam mods killed this site it's pretty ing dead.

alhoon's Avatar Moderator

I didn't realize the premise was a joke.
    Secondly, I would say that it sees less traffic than 4-5 years ago, for sure. But this doesn't make the site dead nor I think it will die any time soon. Steam mods may be easier to access but here people can discuss them in a better format than in steam.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)

Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

Flinn's Avatar The Alpha Santa!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director Modding Staff

Blog Entries

There's already a participation award, it's called the TWC Milestone award... this because in order to get an award one should have done something, maybe minor or maybe major, but still something.. as it is today, this award, whether a joke or not, adds nothing and won't serve at all to attract new people
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

mishkin's Avatar Comes Limitis

Ironic how this joke is not closed just because there are people participating in it and a perfectly legitimate proposal was closed after a few days because it wasnt "a true proposal" and only two guys posted.
    Last edited by mishkin; November 18, 2019 at 07:34 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Opposed x2.
    Two times no means yes. I thank you for your support in making TWC great again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    as it is today, this award [...] adds nothing and won't serve at all to attract new people
    Are you calling my face unattractive?

Rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Ironic how this joke is not closed just because there are people participating in it and a perfectly legitimate proposal was closed after a few days because it wasnt "a true proposal" and only two guys posted.
    Your idea was bad and you should be ashamed of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    No one cares what Derc has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Are you calling my face unattractive? Rude.
    If the shoe fits... but I digress.

I'm curious what the 3000 active metric was based on. If there were 3000 people regularly contributing across all site sections, I think TWC would look very, very different, so it's clear what was determined 'active' is a completely different scale than how I see it.

Flinn's Avatar The Alpha Santa!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director Modding Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Are you calling my face unattractive?
    Rude.
    I wouldn't even call that a face, you know
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Patrician Consul

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Perhaps, though there was substantially less to go off of with a single sentence opening post for a proposal for a large award. This at least added cookies. But not necessarily much more premise either, or technically speaking, a reason for giving the award (though implied by the name).

So as such, do I close it to not appear to hold a double standard compared to your proposal, or leave it open and allow it to be modified correctly?

Well, I'm going to say neither reason will be the reason this is now closed. The duties of Consul include acting as a local moderator, and ensuring the day-to-day of the curia runs smoothly - no surprise to most I'm sure. This/these sort of proposals fall in that gray enough area to begin with, sure no one is blatantly breaking any rules, but at the same time, is there any true curial spirit to such resolutions (which are obvious attempts at some facetious poking of the Curia's current state)? I'd love to be proven wrong, however in this case, doubt I will be. The curia may be in the lull to end all lulls, or just as quiet as it may ever get, but regardless resorting to too much aimless proposals or banter just because of this fact is a waste of time and potential with what minor freshness the curia was able to acquire recently. There have still been a few people with some ideas and/or discussion that could be worthy avenues if more people tried to take them as such just a little bit harder.

And don't forget I'm no stranger to the crazy medals...so this can't come out of a place of disdain

Closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12