Thread: Remnants of Angmar Strats?

Default Remnants of Angmar Strats?

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on how to proceed with this faction. They have a horrible economy that can barley support a full stack of hillmen and so you have to capture towns that don't produce much money. This is also made more complicated by the fact that it seems that every enemy faction that surrounds you has much better troops than you. On every level, their units outclass mine, and I can't seem to find solid footing with this faction. Any help?

Default Re: Remnants of Angmar Strats?

Take both Barcheleg and Angsul as soon as possible them dump all of your troops inside forts and build your economy by making economy boosting buildings like mines, markets, etc. When you are making about 3-4k per turn expand a little further by taking Athilien and Nochva Raglaw and Morva Tarth. When you have enough money to sustain a huge army send them south to Ost Sul and Fennas Drunning and try to take the ND out of the game early as they become incredibly annoying to deal with later.

I don't recommend you try to take the dwarves early on as you only strecth yourself thin and become incredibly exposed by attacks on all sides. Keep few territories and a strong economy early on.
    Last edited by Goat rider; March 12, 2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat rider View Post
    Take both Barcheleg and Angsul as soon as possible them dump all of your troops inside forts and build your economy by making economy boosting buildings like mines, markets, etc. When you are making about 3-4k per turn expand a little further by taking Athilien and Nochva Raglaw and Morva Tarth. When you have enough money to sustain a huge army send them south to Ost Sul and Fennas Drunning and try to take the ND out of the game early as they become incredibly annoying to deal with later.

I don't recommend you try to take the dwarves early on as you only strecth yourself thin and become incredibly exposed by attacks on all sides. Keep few territories and a strong economy early on.
    Thank you but I wonder if that will lead to the enemies snowballing out of control. ND already takes Nochva Raglaw within 10 turns and will be knocking on your door soon.

Quote Originally Posted by sashar View Post
    Thank you but I wonder if that will lead to the enemies snowballing out of control. ND already takes Nochva Raglaw within 10 turns and will be knocking on your door soon.
    They won't. Ered Luin dwarves takes forever to even take Fuirost(they took like 40-45 turns for me) and the ND is surrounded by enemies: they have you on the north, Goblins of Moria on the east and Dunland on the south. Imladris barely holds it's own against Moria let alone you.

Play safe and for economy you won't regret i garantee

It's alright to build your economy for a dozen turns or so before expanding (farms, mines, roads, markets), the AI is surrounded by rebel settlements and your enemies have a good amount of rebel armies in their settlements to deal with before touching borders with you. Angmar doesn't play like the Gundabad faction of Vanilla and MOS (my personal favorite faction); they're a lot more manageable in the early game and you have a two factions who will protect your east long enough for you to be mobilized and powerful enough to fight on two fronts.

Use spies wisely. Spies are going to be key in your planning as the North Western part of the map leaves you quite open and is full of large territory that you can't always immediately map out with watchtowers. The last thing you want is to be chest deep in an invasion of Bree when two stacks of Dwarves invade your North Western settlements. Keep at least three spies (when you can recruit that many): One to send ahead your invading army, one to keep and eye on Ered Luin's expansion, and one to watch the Grey Mountains for the eventual Erebor expansion. From my own experience, the Snow Orcs typically don't expand past Dain's Halls before Erebor knocks at their door. They don't crumple as quickly as the OotMM (who do MUCH better with the update) used to, but eventually the Dwarves grind through and show up on your doorstep. However, by then you should be in good shape to start preparing a counter-invasion army to fend them off should they reach you and attack.

Wargs are still essential, just keep them safe from arrows and micromanage their movements. They are NOT a unit to leave on it's own in the fray or simply on skirmish mode. Don't be afraid of getting your generals in the mix either, they can save a losing battle.

A strategy that should work for most field battles is keeping tight infantry somewhat spaced from each other to make the enemy line uneven and their advance somewhat clogged. Like this:

X X X X --> XOXOXOX
    .O O O ---->O .O .O O
    O O O O

While most of your units aren't as cheap as they used to be in previous versions, you still have fodder units to bulk up your armies, which displays Angmar's combination playstyle of Orc faction and Northmen. Make sure your most defensive units are on the front line, while your cheaper fodder supplements and surrounds the enemy. Get some Wargs or cavalry and use them to take our enemy archers or flanking the pinned down enemy units. This works much better against the Dunedain, Elves (small unit size), and Bree than it does the Dwarves. I'm still experimenting with the best Angmar strategies for Dwarves in field battles, but so far the old OoG/OttMM tactics of keeping long thin lines to surround and pelt with javelins/wargs/trolls has been working, but at high costs. Luckily, I feel Ered Luin units are typically more susceptible to ranged units than Erebor/Khazad-Dum.

Angmar definitely isn't as limited in it's roster as it was in the past but it's still infantry focused, which can be hard when you go up against the best infantry factions in the game

Quote Originally Posted by Goat rider View Post
    They won't. Ered Luin dwarves takes forever to even take Fuirost(they took like 40-45 turns for me) and the ND is surrounded by enemies: they have you on the north, Goblins of Moria on the east and Dunland on the south. Imladris barely holds it's own against Moria let alone you.

Play safe and for economy you won't regret i garantee
    Sashar's caution is not uncalled for. I would recommend being somewhat proactive against the ND. If you wait too long to mobilize, by the time you're making headway with the ND, those Ered Luin Dwarves ‚€‹will‚€‹ be coming for you. Gundabad is a bit of a wild card, even if you maintain an alliance with them. Erebor still has a chance of steam rolling before barracks event.
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; March 12, 2019 at 03:59 PM.

Hey there i hope this is going to be of some help, Im currently playing as Angmar and this is how i went through the campaign (turn 54 - Imladris,Bree destroyed, ND down to Annuminas). Be prepared to become broke for a long time (i started making money after i took Imladris).

the first 2 priorities should be taking Angsul and Barcheleg. Both of these should be taken early but without taking meaningful casualties if you intend on going fast so you dont get steamrolled by dwarves and ND later on (yes Dwarves take forever - in my playthrough they just got Fuirost but when they come they come hard). Barcheleg can be hard because the Garrison is quite sizeable. Use your archers first and try to get good shots in (no arching shots) over the wall and use up all ammo before you assault (i had 3 archers and 3 warg archers). Now you have to decide which faction you want to take on - Imladris or ND.

I went for Imladris. If you get unlucky they stash all their op Noldorin Guard in Imladris. If that happens siege it out you cant beat it at full strenght + the garrison. If you get lucky like i did and they are out in the field with a halfstack and the 2 sons of Elrond take them on, Imladris itself will be really weak and you can assault it immediately (yes the garrison is strong but really gets murdered by archers - i used the 3 i had and killed 50-60% of them before assaulting while i moved my units so Elrond would focus on my bodyguard units so i dont take casualties). If you can though avoid siege battles by taking as many draw out situations as possible (army is outside of a settlement - before attacking that send one warg unit to besiege the settlement then attack the army and defeat but not wipe them out - they will retreat to the settlement but cant get in because its besieged now you lift the siege and attack the leftovers of the army therefore forcing the settlement garrsion to get involved and you safe yourself a pesky siege battle against elves or ND or Dwarves that will anihilate your infantry). After i wiped out Imladris (now i started building up my major settlements but also made sure i have enough units stashed in forts to send reinforcements) i took on ND (in my playthrough i already met 2 of halfstacks of their forces that i wiped out so they were significantly weakend - we are at turn 25 when i assault Fennas Drunin) which didnt put up much of a fight except for Fornost. Dunedain in general dont do so hot against Angmar in field battles because of your wargs that are really readily available. All you do is let their infantry engage yours and then run your wargs around and cycle charge their archers - they cant handle it.

As for battles in general. Field Battles (especially early game) are to be preferred because your early game killers are your wargs, they will do the most damage all the time if you use them well. Against elves you should try to go somewhat thin lines and surround them - early game that tactic works really well against their "militia tier". Your wargs cycle charge their archer units. Against ND you dont really need to do much - just let their infantry engage and run your wargs to their archers and cycle charge (while doing that flank their infantry with your bodyguard and shock infantry) when your wargs are finished just charge them into NDs infantry they should break at this point.

As for Dwarves well they are annoying. You will lose men every battle because their infantry is just borderline insane. The easiest way of dealing with them (from my experience) is huscarl spam, 2 or 3 units of garbage (concscripts do the job), a few wargs (in case they bring archers/xbows that you need to silence) and one (better 2 catapults). Now heres why you will lose a lot of men every battle: First of all if you can position yourself up on a hill always. Now put your concripts in the thickest formation possible and set them up in front of your main line (leave some spaces but not to big). If you do it properly their infantry will swarm around them and they will be stuck (keep in mind these are dwarves so you wont get a lot of time here) now you let your catapults rain hell upon them while your conscripts hold as long as possible (thats why you take trash units because you will hit them aswell). Afterwards you charge your huscarls into the remaining dwarves (catapults usually get 300+ kills each depending on the size of the battle) - bonus your units are still fresh theirs are usually tired at this point. Surround them and they should fall rather quickly now (unless they already have elites, if they do well you will take losses then again here). As for sieges just try to avoid them as much as possible, if you have to fight them use a lot of ladders and attack where they arent defending walls first and get your archers on the walls to fire at them (even though they are dwarves archers do ok when they have a highround position like walls to shoot down from, at least when you arent facing their elite forces). You will still take losses in these though. As for Thorins Halls your artillery will come in handy again with your conscripts up front.
    Last edited by Samael.; March 13, 2019 at 01:54 PM.

Almost forgot about Imladris. I used to rush Imladris (the settlement) back before V2.2 and in Vanilla/MOS, but DaC did a good job of buffing the faction (plus, having no trolls at the start of the game makes it a lot harder). If you have the opportunity to starve them out in a siege, or have the good luck Samael mentioned above, I'd say go for it.

To add to Samael's discussion on battles, I would also add to avoid siege battles with Dwarves entirely and force them to sally out. Same goes for defending settlements; try to intercept Dwarven armies in the open field.

Should I even bother with foot archers as them? I can see that the first tier warg archers have better stats, while also useful for charging. I also find that my foot archers could never go up against the other factions archers anyways.

Use foot archers if you are unable to recruit Wargs and you really need some ranged units. Other than that, I like using foot archer units for skeleton crew garrisons in settlements safe from the front, or keeping them in forts for aesthetic purposes.
    Last edited by LuckyPistol; March 13, 2019 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyPistol View Post
    Use foot archers if you are unable to recruit Wargs and you really need some ranged units. Other than that, I like using foot archer units for skeleton crew garrisons in settlements safe from the front, or keeping them in forts for aesthetic purposes.
    Thanks, for the advice. My second playthrough went much better, but I still got handed by the blue dwarves and the Last-Defense stacks that spawn. I think my third try will be the winning one.

Quote Originally Posted by sashar View Post
    Thanks, for the advice. My second playthrough went much better, but I still got handed by the blue dwarves and the Last-Defense stacks that spawn. I think my third try will be the winning one.
    The Dwarves are tough; you'll need to specialize your armies for fighting them and use your Wargs to fire javelins into their backs. I'd also recommend having your special generals like Aganduar to lead your Dwarf-specialized armies.

Does anyone know whether it’s possible or not to get the Witch-King when playing as Angmar?
    If so, what conditions must be met?

^ You must hold Imladris and Fornost.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward Denethor II View Post
    ^ You must hold Imladris and Fornost.
    OK, thanks!

I have Fornost, but the Goblins of Moria beat me to Imladris. Iíll see what can be done with that...

You should be able to buy Imladris depending on how recently they conquered it. Or trade for it with a settlement you don't need or know you'll be able to reclaim soon (be warned, your diplomatic reputation will take a hit).