Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Wheel of Time: TV show - (Books in spoilers).

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wheel of Time: TV show - (Books in spoilers).

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    What do you mean "the listed episode"?
    Listed on his IMDB page.

The Wheel of Time (TV Series)
    Mat Cauthon
    - A Taste of Solitude (2022) ... Mat Cauthon.
    And... that guy is Irish! There were no pale white red-haired people in Emond Fields*! They were all darkwhites like Mediterraneans.
    Redheads are common, in fact the highest percentage in the world are Irish, but it's still only 10% of Irish people. The rest are mostly brunets/blondes. In the south Black hair and dark skin [sic] is as common as red hair.

That said, Donal Finn is a red head, but dark red, and he can always dye his hair.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

What is that "listed episode" in 2022? I don't find it in IMDB. Can you link it please?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Blog Entries

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! No more Mat for the rest of the season?! How...
    Anyone knows why the actor stepped out of the production?

They need to get him to Fal Dara by Season 2, though. I guess there will be more dagger & Padan Fain after all. I refreshed my memory thanks to the net and Indeed Moraine "Stopped" the progress of the curse till they managed to get that circle and the sh'angreal to heal him in book2.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Blog Entries

There's no reason given. They shut down filming due to Covid, and he didn't come back. I wonder if we checked that last scene again, where he's standing outside the Ways. If he was CGI'd in, and they did a drop in shoot of the others calling to him.

I think the next episode will be almost all set in The Ways. And the last episode at the Wheel of Time.

The episode 'A Taste of Solitude' sounds like it might be all about Mat, which would be a good way to introduce a new actor.

Loved the last episode. It's picking up pace now. is ON!
    And the reason Mat left the series is because he was told to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING!

chriscase's Avatar Chairman Miao
    Civitate Patrician

I dunno... having doubts though I want to believe.

So...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - Logain's war and gentling dominates the initial narrative - this seems maybe like an ingenious way to introduce new fans to some of the core concepts of the Aes Sedai, the Dragon Reborn, and the Red Ajah.
    - Skipping Caemlin and going straight to Tar Valon seems to contribute to that same goal: get to Tar Valon and let the action unfold there or en route.

But...
    - This focuses almost everything on the Aes Sedai and White Tower drama, which I think was a lot more palatable spread out over several books. Watching the show you'd think all it's about is the White Tower and its intrigues.
    - What the hell happened to Elaine and the royal family of Andor? And why is Liandrin the face of the Red Ajah (who should just be Accepted at this point IIRC)? What happened to Elaida, a far more interesting Red sister than Liandrin. Don't we have a lot of time to work with here?
    - What a tepid portrayal of Perrin's Wolfbrother transformation. I can't stomach it without Hopper, one of my favorite minor characters.
    - The list is growing...

Basically, why are we spending so much time on stuff that's not even in the books and leaving out really major things? I mean, like 10 minutes of Lan screaming and pounding his chest, just to emphasize the Bond? Why are we spending so much time on that? And to watch it you'd think it was a Bond between warders, not between Aes Sedai and their warders.

But I want to believe...
    Last edited by chriscase; December 14, 2021 at 05:27 PM.

Why is it that mysteries are always about something bad? You never hear there's a mystery, and then it's like, "Who made cookies?"
    - Demetri Martin

Blog Entries

Fair points.

I think they've just tried a different approach, or maybe they learned the lesson of GoT, which was crucified for every tiny detail they left out. With this it looks like they've decided to set their stall out from the beginning 'Wheel of Time' - based on the novels by 'Robert Jordan,' rather than a scene for scene enactment.

I'm hoping they come up with a more coherent, character driven story, less of the rambling of the books. Maybe Perrin won't go missing for an entire series.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by chriscase View Post
    But...
    - This focuses almost everything on the Aes Sedai and White Tower drama, which I think was a lot more palatable spread out over several books. Watching the show you'd think all it's about is the White Tower and its intrigues.
    - What the hell happened to Elaine and the royal family of Andor? And why is Liandrin the face of the Red Ajah (who should just be Accepted at this point IIRC)? What happened to Elaida, a far more interesting Red sister than Liandrin. Don't we have a lot of time to work with here?
    - What a tepid portrayal of Perrin's Wolfbrother transformation. I can't stomach it without Hopper, one of my favorite minor characters.
    - The list is growing...

Basically, why are we spending so much time on stuff that's not even in the books and leaving out really major things? I mean, like 10 minutes of Lan screaming and pounding his chest, just to emphasize the Bond? Why are we spending so much time on that? And to watch it you'd think it was a Bond between warders, not between Aes Sedai and their warders.

But I want to believe...

Book spoilers from my memory:

- Liadrin was already an Aes Sedai, recently raised, before Elaida, Siuan and Moraine. Even if I recall wrong, she was certainly an Aes Sedai by book 1 and an important one
    - Elaida is probably in season 2. Elaine is in season 2 and to be fair her role in book 1 is minor and more connected to... tower drama that will happen next season. What I dislike is that they casted her as red-headed and pale ... like an Aiel. IIRC Elaine was blond and certainly didn't look like an Aiel.
    - They needed to get some of the Tower Drama out of the way to make season 2 deal with book 2-3 I guess. I believe season 2 will end with Rand getting the Calandor after fighting off Ishamael over Falme (the only time he used the Talent of Flying) and Egwene, Elaine and Nynaeve escaping from the Seanchan and the Black Ajah.
    - I expect the Sniffers will be introduced in season 2 too, along with Foretellers.
    - I think... Hopper is in there. The wolf that Perrin looks to and talks to all the time, could be Hopper. But to be honest... I disagree with you. The entire Slayer/Wolves subplot was a bit bland and boring. Frankly, most of Perrin's arc except of him and who-was-it-Ashaman finding the way to make magic weapons again were boring.

Blog Entries

Book spoilers from my memory:
    Frankly, most of Perrin's arc except of him and who-was-it-Ashaman finding the way to make magic weapons again were boring.
    Nah. Perrin's relationship with Faile and especially their defence of Emond's field, is something I'm looking forward to. There's scope to make that better than it was in the books.

Blog Entries

EP: 7. The Dark Along the Ways.

They may be missing and interpreting things that book readers have issues with, but when they get it right! It is spectacular to see this world brought to life. Seeing an Aiel Spearmaiden tune up a bunch of Knights, dayum. !

Some episodes have been a bit hit-and-miss, this one hits, and hits hard.
    The Ways - The Dragon confirmed - Tam Al'Thor's act of empathy - Min's reading ability - The Blight.

The Ways: A shorter scene than I was expecting, but enough tension and dread, so we know when they need to use it again it's a scary place not to be taken lightly.
    I like when a show goes back to an earlier scene and shows you another perspective or new details, as it does with Rand in this episode.
    The scene's with the spearmaiden and Tam, excellent, gives me hope fighting scenes in this are going to be high quality.
    The effects for Min's 'visions' were well done, making something that sounds complex in the books, simple.
    The Blight always felt like something that would be hard to put on screen, and be different to enchanted forests and dark woods we've seen in movies and shows before, they've nailed it.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; December 17, 2021 at 06:01 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Oh certainly Perrin & Faile romance was good. It just dragged badly in books 7-10 when
    Perrin Chases the Shaido.

Blog Entries

Oh certainly Perrin & Faile romance was good. It just dragged badly in books 7-10 when
    Perrin Chases the Shaido.
    Ah, I didn't get that far, I think halfway through book 6 Covid happened, no more using public transport (I bought an e-bike), so much less reading time.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

OK not again... Come on can't we have one city or fort with some CGI bloody farm feilds. Sorry going to rant again the working town sequence is too big for the external shots of what is a Bastion/Keep. And Everyone in it would be not working but starving. Can't you detail a little CGI for a long shot of some green terracing, and say an aqueduct so this the city looks like you could live in it?

I mean really Hollywood could probably get a USDA grant if they hired some post doc from the USDA to consult with the dudes on computers on adding agriculture to fantasy movies to help people not just think food magically appears at the back of the mega grocery store.
    Last edited by conon394; December 17, 2021 at 11:17 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I mean really Hollywood could probably get a USDA grant if they hired some post doc from the USDA to consult with the dudes on computers on adding agriculture to fantasy movies to help people not just think food magically appears at the back of the mega grocery store.

Why that Postdoc has to be from the USDA?!? I have done, and used, such work based on various techniques and historical sources, even including the effect of magic on food production!

Moderator Emeritus

So... it's New Spring time now? A Bukama-clone is around, the birth during the Aiel war...

We also had Rand being Rand, and cuddling with his Significant Other in front of a man that lost his wife a month ago.
    Now, how the heck did Nynaeve stop the Black Wind?! Do not answer "with the One Power". What I am saying is that... I don't think there's a Weave for that AND even if it is, she wouldn't know it nor be able to guess it. Was that in the books?

Who is failed-Accepted sister of Lord Agelmar and... she can channel?!? Is that in the books? I think not.

Min's readings: Rand craddling... a baby? As in, ONE baby? If anyone has any book-canon info on that or theories, please do tell (in spoiler tags).
    Egwene's readings make sense.

So, Egwene... "You won't" to Rand's fear that he will lose you to the Tower eh?
    I wonder what you will say after you see a handsome prince paying attention to you.

And Rand's application for the Warder position. Lad, you should really take up some training with Lan then. Land tied Rand to a knot without blinking in the previous episode.

Aaaand ... serious book spoilers

No, this is serious book spoiler.

We will see what you will say Egwene about "standing by rand always" if he's the Dragon, in 2-3 seasons.

As if Min's reading of Rand... Avienda was beautiful?! Since when? And Show-Egwene is nothing special either.

Liked:
    - The Aiel, despite what you will read below, although I have pictured them as significantly more dark-skinned.
    They are related
    to the Tinkers after all

- Nynaeve's optimism of "When this is over we wil...". "This" is supposedly (Show Canon)... killing the dark one. Fighting the Last Battle. 4 idiots, an Aes Sedai, a Warder and an Ogier.
    - Moraine becoming Moraine again and "We cannot afford the Dragon to turn to the Shadow", blackmailing Min, manipulating people and throwing Mat to the Reds and more. If it came along ominous warnings that she will see them dead than even RISK them turning to the Shadow, it would be also better. That is how Moraine should have been for the past 6 episodes. Also, shorter.
    - The Moraine-Lan-Nynaeve trio. I like the new Lan more than the book-Lan.
    - Showing Perrin's Enhanced senses thanks to his Wolf-blooded traits. <== did you book types / Show types noticed that? When he saw the Guiding Stone first?
    - Fal Dara. It didn't seem so... grandiose from afar, but it was very well made inside.
    - Padan Fain. Despite what you will read below.
    - Mat and Perrin fighting over Egwene. I don't know why, but I liked it. Probably because it wasn't in the books with some "oh, Rand's Paranoia started" thrown in.
    - Nynaeve, stalking Lan. Again, I don't know why.
    - Nynaeve's braid pulling. She's not Nynaeve without it. I have really missed it in the previous episodes.
    - Showing that the Dragon has been channeling like mad (pun intended) all this time.
    - The Blight.

Didn't like:
    - The Dragon's mother fighting without the Veil on! Certainly didn't like and could have been avoided. No reason for that strong deviation. I can't understand how that got past the editors. Pulling up the veil is just a fraction of a second and it's not like the Dragon's mother will play any big role. We saw her face... it could have been enough.
    - How a pregnant Aiel could fight off three serious warriors.
    - The exposition of the Ways, early on. "What are the Ways?" "The fastest way to the Eye of the World". Riiiight. That totally explains it to the casual viewer that is asked to wait to get a description. Show not tell doesn't work well in WoT. The world is simply too big to show.
    - What another poster said: Fal Dara was completely devoid of farmable land. Since it is in the Border of the Borderlands and the First line of Defense, I can understand no farms outside but then there should have been a large procession of caravans bringing food.
    - Padan Fain did not join with Mashadar nor he joined with Black Wind. :/
    - That a kid in Fal Dara didn't know how big Trollocs are, when she probably sees a few dead trollocs every week.
    - Moraine leaving with the Dragon only. This may have been in the book, to be honest But it still doesn't make sense. Moraine would not simply ignore a bunch of Taveren so close to the Eye of the World, especially in the Show-canon of going for the Dark One.

After a bad episode 6, this one gets 6 out of 7 Cuendilar Seals.
    Finally some characters return to what they should have been from episode 1. Moraine a manipulative, driven, pragmatist, Nynaeve pulling her braid, Fain being Fain. OK, he was like that in the 1st episode too.

I agree with that review, probably 95%. I honestly can't think of a single thing she said that I disagree with. Including how Ep7 and Ep4 are favorites and Ep6 was very disappointing and nearly made me drop the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wxE...annel=Bookborn

Waiting for this one to come.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 17, 2021 at 04:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alhoon
    The Dragon's mother fighting without the Veil on! Certainly didn't like and could have been avoided. No reason for that strong deviation. I can't understand how that got past the editors.
    Give em a pass on that, she was about to give birth and struggling to breathe. I can see why she pulled down the veil.

- How a pregnant Aiel could fight off three serious warriors.
    Because even by Aiel standards, she was a total badass, and Aiel standards are very high. Also, she was about to give birth, again an expert fighter driven by circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhoon
    - Showing Perrin's Enhanced senses thanks to his Wolf-blooded traits. <== did you book types / Show types noticed that? When he saw the Guiding Stone first?
    I could be wrong, but pretty sure it is mentioned that Perrin hides the fact he can see in the dark (in the ways), because at that stage his 'powers' are still freaking him out.

Moderator Emeritus

His powers are still freaking him out by book 7, and probably by book 10 unless I remember wrong.

Also: Did you guys seen any kind of chemistry between Rand and Min? The gal he spends so much time with? Sure, sure, he pretends he loves the others too, but they are side-pieces.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 17, 2021 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Nah, but to be fair, he just found out he's the Dragon and has to fight the most evil being in the world ever. Maybe not feeling jiggy wit it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Also: Did you guys seen any kind of chemistry between Rand and Min? The gal he spends so much time with? Sure, sure, he pretends he loves the others too, but they are side-pieces
    I agree. Just after I said I was really liking the Mat oh well...

But not liking the Min at all. Too old and running a bar? And nothing in their rush to fill Rand in on a back story of himself he takes a lot longer to figure out book wise of the her being head over heals for him. I not sure why thay can't all just go to the eye and let Rand prove himself the dragon there? What's with we are all going to die stuff
    Nothing as far as I can recall says they expect to face the dark one really just a mishmash of different cryptic seeings cumming together to convince Big M they be there. They don't even know the seals are being broken till after the showdown.
    Last edited by conon394; December 17, 2021 at 07:33 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.