Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antioch Campaign

Default Re: Antioch

Balatonos, a small fortress nestled in the foothills east of Ladoicea, had heard of the fall of the nearby port by siege to Bohemond's men, and of the march of the prince south. They had stocked up on supplies and sent riders to nearby rulers.

Nonetheless, the commander of the garrison came forth to meet with Bohemond, prepared to discuss terms with the Prince of Antioch.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Bohemond offered the man some water before starting the negotiations.

"Under which terms would you be prepared to surrender the fortress?"

Bohemond’s men have no good estimate of how many men are in the fortress; the ramparts are high and inscrutable.

“He says he will not surrender, lord, for he expects the army of his own master to arrive any day now.”

Replied the interpreter, after the short and squat commander had spoken for some time in his own tongue.

Blog Entries

"So be it" Bohemond replied to the interpreter as he makes his way to his horse. His renitue following.

Back in camp Bohemond orders a doubling of the watch and the preparations of an Assault.

In the night, Bohemond catches a party of soldiers who snuck out of the castle to sabotage his siege weaponry. Fortunately they escaped any damage, and the Prince now has a handful of prisoners in his custody.

—-

Bohemond’s sentries likewise intercept a messenger from the ruler of Homs, who had come to warn the Prince that the Emir does not appreciate castles and cities under his protection being captured. Failure to withdraw will be met with force.

Blog Entries

The prisoners are interrogated, some with force and others with kindness, with the promise of being released and guaranteed safe passage.

They reveal little of use, save that the garrison is larger than a few hundred men. They expect reinforcements to arrive soon.

Blog Entries

The army moves into position with the rams and ladders, ready to assault.

OOC: Orders incoming.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: Antioch Campaign

One messenger arrives at the encampment of Bohemond while another finds its way into Balanatos.

The messenger to the latter reads that Bertrand understands their plea, but his army is too far south to be of use. The trek north would either be the long route along the coast or risk following the river and thus getting close to Homs, who his guides say that the Emir there has a sizable army and would get uncertain of crusaders marching so close to his holdings. He gives his regrets and says he cannot risk the venture without unacceptable losses.

To Bohemond, a messenger brings his message before the Prince
    To Prince Bohemond of Antioch,

I write in my father's stead as he is still at the walls of Jerusalem. My army is quite far south and to venture to Balanatos would consist of two routes. The coastal route, the longer, would require me to capture two ports in order to make the trek safe. Yet, the route would take much more time even if the ports were under my father's control. The quicker route, following the Orontes River, risks me getting close to Homs. My guides have told me that the Emir there has a good force and may likely attack if I were to move that way. I cannot make promises, but if I can make it, I will try. Otherwise, may God be with you, Prince Bohemond.

Signed,
    Bertrand of Toulouse, Regent of Tripoli
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Blog Entries

With the letter read, a smirk on his face and the assault ready to begin. Bohemond asks for a Parley. When the commander came outside under the flag of truce Bohemond greeted him "Peace be upon you." His words may have rung with a bittersweet taste, as his entire army stood ready to storm the castle. Now he turned to his interpreter and told him to relay "Say that they have one chance. I will guarantee safe passage when they give up the fortress and disarm. No harm will become them. They have my word. If they chose to decline I will order the assault at once." Bohemond waited, gazed at the commander with a piercing look. Give up man he thought to himself.
    Last edited by General Brewster; November 13, 2019 at 06:45 PM.

The commander accepts the surrender, so long as safe passage back to his lord for he and his men is guaranteed.

Blog Entries

Terms are accepted, fortress is occupied. Letters are send to the ruler of Tripoli telling him the fortress is secured and that he is welcome to join the prince of antioch.

(Movement done as soon as word reached them, so they'll arrive perhaps an IC day or two after the occupation and before Tripoli arrives.)

Balatanos gives Antioch 200 Dinars and Men, providing it can be held and settled.

Bohemond's scouts bring word of a large Arab force approaching from Homs, bolstered by the soldiers the Prince allowed to leave the castle of Balatanos. Advance riders approach the Antiochene camp, requesting a meeting between the Emir and the Prince.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; November 14, 2019 at 11:38 AM.

Blog Entries

Bohemond, struck by illness musters the energy to suit up and is accompanied by his brother Guy and 100 retainers. Awaiting the arrival of the Emir.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A messenger arrives, indicating that the regent of Tripoli is on the move and ensuring a secure route into the Principality of Antioch. If there is no further business, there will be no obstacle to his participation.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Bohemond, struck by illness musters the energy to suit up and is accompanied by his brother Guy and 100 retainers. Awaiting the arrival of the Emir.
    The Emir rode out to meet the Prince with a similar number of horsemen, riding from the east. Behind him, an innumerable mass of soldiers were encamped.

"Prince of Antioch. My men have told me of you."

The words were those of a translator, likely a converted Armenian by the look of him.

"I do not wish blood spilt. Return to me this castle and the city of Latakia, and I shall make common cause with you against the ruler of Mosul who attacked you during your pilgrimage."

Blog Entries

Bohemond caughed as he thought of the proposition. His scouts were still trying to get information on how large the emirs host is. Surrendering Laodice was an impossibility. The town had far too much value.

Bohemond addressed his interpreter. "You must be aware that the ruler of Tripoli has marched up and now borders my own realm?" Bohemond asked his interpreter. With a frailer voice then normal but still decent. Not that his interpreter would convey the difference. With a sigh Bohemond continued to talk to his interpreter without waiting for the Emir to respond. "Giving up Loadice would only mean it will fall to Tripoli. Surrendering it is out of the question your highness. I have good will toward thee but I cannot do that. " Bohemond pondered some more. "Could I ask your highness to dine with me?" he finally decided to ask his interpreter.

The Emir stood for a while, then gave his consent with a simple nod and a few words of the tongue of the Arabs.

”My lord will dine with you as we discuss terms, though he wishes to know where we shall eat.”

The interpreter interjected.

Blog Entries

"Right here." Bohemond said to his interpreter whilst using his hands to show where. "Tell him he can bring his own food if he chooses not to trust mine. Shall we each bring 50 men to guard?"

"You have terms."

Agreed the interpreter's opposite number, with both bringing foodstuffs to the appointed location. The Emir brought his own food, but offered it to the Prince in a gesture of goodwill - a variety of meats and delicacies unseen before in the west. As they settled in for food, the negotiations continued.

"Is this Tripoli an ally of yours, good Prince? my lord had heard that he and you quarrelled over the city you now rule."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast