Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antioch Campaign

Default Antioch Campaign

Arriving outside of Laodicea, Guy orders a camp established outside of the village of Al-Qanja along with foraging parties being sent out to gather food and timber for the construction of siege engines. Several small scouting parties are sent to survey the surrounding area for any potential enemy activity. The commander and his retinue ride ahead to a hill to survey the city and it's surroundings while the men begin to carry out their tasks.

Army of Antioch

Guy de Hauteville (+2 Survival, +2 Battles, +1 Personal Combat)
    350 knights
    800 archers/crossbowmen
    1,300 heavy infantry
    1,600 light infantry
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 13, 2019 at 10:58 AM.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Siege of Laodicea

(OOC: Arriving in 6 hours from when this post was made.)

A horn blew in the distance, 950 men with at it's head of Bohemond de Hauteville were nearing the siege camp. They did not fly his banner to not make his presence known. When most of the distance was closed the Prince of Antioch rode with a company of his knights towards the encampment and searched for Guy. By now it was clear that the Prince had arrived and he instructed his men to tell the men quietly, by all means this was Guy's siege and Bohemond would not crack at his may found glory.

As he entered Guy's headquarters he smiled at the sight of his brother. "By second thought I figured you could do with a couple of more men." He said with enthusiasm. It was time to crack this baby open.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    (OOC: Arriving in 6 hours from when this post was made.)

A horn blew in the distance, 950 men with at it's head of Bohemond de Hauteville were nearing the siege camp. They did not fly his banner to not make his presence known. When most of the distance was closed the Prince of Antioch rode with a company of his knights towards the encampment and searched for Guy. By now it was clear that the Prince had arrived and he instructed his men to tell the men quietly, by all means this was Guy's siege and Bohemond would not crack at his may found glory.

As he entered Guy's headquarters he smiled at the sight of his brother. "By second thought I figured you could do with a couple of more men." He said with enthusiasm. It was time to crack this baby open.
    The approaching party was noticed by one of the scouting parties who at first shadowed them in an attempt to ascertain the allegiance, a few of the men eventually being able to identify a few of the coat of arms on the banners and the party would ride off, splitting into one group heading to the southeast, while a smaller one rides back to the camp to report to Guy. Once the prince and his men arrive, they can see the construction of several siege engines and trenches underway, with passing soldiers cheering the arrival of the Prince or bowing as he passed.

Guy was looking over a map with several of his captains when Bohemond approached, and when the Prince entered he could be seen moving a figure from the water to Laodicea. "..the ships will complete the blockade of the city..otherwise I believe negotiation will be likely fruitless and we will have to take the walls by.." Guy stops to pause for a second and then notices Bohemond.
    "Reinforcements are always a welcome sight, brother. Although I do wish you had brought some ships with you." He gestures towards the city. "..as I have yet to hear back from my envoy I sent to Cyprus to try and hire some ships so we can weaken the defenders before any assault."

Blog Entries

Bohemond listened and takes out an empty chair. He removes his belt, containing his sheathed sword and his dagger and sits down before starting to remove his gloves before wiping his forehead with his hand. What a god forsaken heat he thought to himself. This was nothing like the Italian heat. After a sigh and some ponder where he struck his beard, who had grown long and wildly. While he wraps his belt around his sheath he says "Where is Pisa's navy when you need them? Perhaps we ought to ask competitors and offer them rights to start trading posts in our ports. That ought to give us some ships." Trade and Trade port rights should do the trick Bohemond thought.

Guy shrugs before reaching over to a jug filled with wine, and pours it into two goblets. "Probably out defending their trade fleets from piracy." He takes one of the goblets and gives the second to Bohemond. "That is an option, your highness."Guy pauses to drink from his goblet. "Or we could seize some of the mercantile vessels in St.Symeon or Ras al-Bassit and compensate the owners, although would require a portion of our forces to return to enforce the conscription."

Blog Entries

Bohemond takes the cups and looks inside it... ah wine he thought to himself. A good one he added in his mind as he sipped it and let his taste buds take everything in. As he sipped and thought he kept looking at the map on which his brother had earlier moved pieces. Tactics was an important element of every battle but the long term strategy was far more important. Strategy means you can lose a battle but win the war while tactics ensure you may win the battle but lose the war. Bohemond sighed before saying "It's wise to await the envoy's reply. With some hope they've already set sail." Bohemond rose from his chair, sheath in hand and smiled at his brother. "I have grown tired from travel. I will retire now as we await news from Cyprus."

The local governor of Ladociea requests to treat with whoever is leading the force that is encamped outside their city; negotiations will be conducted outside the walls under a banner of truce.

"That is all we can do, pray he was successful and has a swift return." Guy drinks from his goblet. "Of course. If there are any developments, I shall send a messenger to inform you."

Blog Entries

The Prince of Antioch arrives with a company of knights and his brother next to him. The banner of truce flying.

"Peace be upon you" He opened in the governors native tongue as he walked close to meet the governor. He rests his hand on the hilt of his sword as he gazed over the city and the siege works in preparations. He sighs as he looks at the interpreter and says "Ask him what it would take for them to surrender. I'm open to negotiate. Tell him I'm willing to offer a safe retreat for every soldier, man, woman and child in the city who wishes to leave." Bohemond looked on as the interpreter got to work.

The interpreter exchanges a few words with the governor in Arabic, then turns back to Bohemond, pensively.

"My lord, he says that they have supplies to last them many years and many soldiers to defend the walls. They invite you to leave this place, for you have no hope of forcing surrender or storming the city."

A few more words are barked at the interpreter.

"They will pay you, my lord. Three thousand dinars, he says."

Blog Entries

Bohemond laughed at the notion to leave. At least not for that pesky sum he thought.

"No." Bohemond countered. He stroke his beard, glanced at his brother and said "I come here, in good faith, greeting you in your native tongue in your own custom and this is how you repay me? Either pay us ten thousand dinars and we will leave, or decide by dawn you wish to take the safe retreat. I leave the decision with you." Bohemond had his interpreter say. As he turned and walked, he could be persuaded to turn back if the governor said the right things.

The governor barked something after him, and the interpreted shouted over to Bohemond.

"He says five thousand is the most he will pay, lord, given that you have only a few ships and men."

Bohemond's men determine that there is anywhere between four hundred and fifteen hundred men behind the city walls, given the number of banners and spearmen present on the ramparts.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; November 11, 2019 at 05:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Bohemond, turned, listened and shrugged. "You have until dawn to surrender and get free passage. After dawn you will have no quarter." Bohemond said before trotting off.

Dawn came and went, and the city stood resolute. Bohemond would be forced to dig in for a lengthy siege.

After looking at the banners still flying on the wall, Guy sighs and turns to one of the captains. "Gather a hundred men and go out to gather more timber." The captain salutes before heading off to gather men for the task while Guy heads in the direction of the command tent, hoping his brother would be present there. "They stand resolute, your highness. I have ordered another party out to gather timber for additional siege engines." He pauses for a second to look at the map. "Perhaps we should send a messenger back to Antioch or St.Symeon to attempt negotiations with the Italians for additional ships or to look for local mercenaries to bolster our forces, unless you wish to assault the walls today, your highness?"

Blog Entries

Bohemond sipped a cup of wine. "we'll wait for now."

(As a side note, this siege has been conducted under the old siege rules. It would be unfair to Brew and Xion to retroactively apply the new ones that have fixed a gaping hole in the system. See the rules for details.)

Laodice surrenders, requesting safe passage or clemency for the elite.

Antioch's budget increases by 800, and its manpower 500.

Blog Entries

Safe passage is given under the conditions that the soldiers disarm and that everyone swears to spread the word of Bohemond de Hauteville's kindness.

Default Re: Antioch

Host of Antioch

Bohemond de Hauteville, Prince of Antioch (+2 Battles, +1 Survival, +1 Personal Combat)
    Guy de Hauteville, Count of St.Symeon (+2 Survival, +2 Battles, +1 Personal Combat)

600 knights (100 from retinues)
    1,000 archers/crossbowmen
    1,500 heavy infantry
    2,000 light infantry

Arriving outside of Balatonos, the soldiers are ordered to set up a siege camp a ways from the city, situated close to a nearby lake to secure a flank against any potential enemy attack and a source of water. Several small parties of men are sent out to collect timber for the construction of ladders and a ram or to serve as foraging parties. Several groups of horsemen patrol around the camp.
    Last edited by Xion; November 12, 2019 at 04:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Antioch

Bohemond, accompanied by 99 knights set up a tent near the city, the flag of truce is hoisted and the authority in Balatonos is invited for talks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast