Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antioch Campaign

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Antioch Campaign

Bohemond, having been confident there was a higher plan for him, accepted the emir's food. If it were poisoned Bohemond was sure to survive. He had just beaten a severe fever as well.

"Tripoli is no ally of mine Emir." Bohemond said sharply. The fact that no Tripoli army had made an appearance made sure of that. "Allies is something in short demand for a Christian in these lands" he said after having a bite to eat and showing his satisfaction. Incredible taste Bohemond thought to himself.

Gandalfus's Avatar le Roi de fer
    Gaming Staff Magistrate

Bohemond sends word to the Emir that he is willing make an alliance with Homs, but is not willing to give up Laodice or Balatanos.

Gaming Staff Magistrate

Bohemond’s army arrives outside the castle of Nicopolis, right on the border of the lands of the Count of Edessa. The Norman Prince sends demands to the fortress: if Christian, they are to swear an oath of fealty and provide men and tribute, but if Muslim they are to surrender immediately with promise of clemency.

Meanwhile, the Antiochene army begins the construction of a siege camp, employing cavalry to scout the surrounding area to prevent ambush from Aleppo.

An army arrives, coming from Talupe. They seem to be a crusading army, so to speak, because anyone could see the fluttering crosses in the morning breeze.

"A siege? Right now? Right here?"

"We do not know who they're, sire"

The count grunted atop his stallion, standing on the stirrups. His mail hauberk was shining, the tear-shaped shield hanging on the back, his lance and war helm were held by a couple squires. Baldwin was looking at the camp from a nearby hilltop, while his men slowly poured into the surroundings.

"The clarions and trumpets, let them sing. Raise my standards high"

He sits back on the saddle and grabs the reins firmly. A standard with a red lion is raised, alongside two smaller ones with the Holy Face of God and another with an embroidered cross.

"These are men who took the cross, but why? Ready the men for any contingency, but for the sake of Christ himself we shall ascertain their motivations first. Send a couple light riders demanding answers, specially what brought them here so close to my borders"

Two sargeants left in hurry, a cloud of dust behind their hooves.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Gaming Staff Magistrate

A group of riders clad in mail ride towards the encampment of the Count of Edessa in response, the banners of the cross and a golden serpent fluttering at the end of their lances. Around a hundred paces from the camp, they halt, and three men ride out to speak with whoever leads the army assembled before them.

The count arrives, wearing mail, but naked head.

"I salute you"

He's surrounded by several of his kinsmen, like Joscelin, Hugh and Baldwin of Rethel, and armor-clad knights.

Gaming Staff Magistrate

The first rider, the largest and broadest of them, removes his helmet and passes it on to an accompanying squire. Baldwin would recognise Bohemond of Taranto, the most infamous of the Norman crusaders. Though he was past forty, he did not appear touched by time, golden skin and hair making him appear to ‘lesser’ men as half a god.

“Hail, Baldwin of Verdun.”

Bohemond likewise raised a mailed glove to his counterpart.

“What brings you and yours here? I did not know your domains stretched this far west of the Euphrates.”

"This far?"

Said the count with a grunt.

"I'm at a short distance from the lands of Revendel, that are under my domain"

He gestured with a hand, expressing annoyance.

"You're the one who're far away from its own borders, too far away"

Gaming Staff Magistrate

“Then this could be our border, nay? As fine a place as any other.”

Replied the Prince, nonchalantly patting the steed.

“Edessa is far from here, after all, surely soon to be threatened by the Moslems of Mosul.”

"Surely the pagans of Aleppo miss you in the South already"

Baldwin eyed at the Norman with curiousity.

"I presume you want Nicopolis. But I'm afraid I cannot afford to be cut from Cilicia, the Armenians are fond of me, you see? Married with one and all"

How old was she? I don't even remember.

Gaming Staff Magistrate

“Let us be Christians about this, then, and allow the Lord of Nicopolis to decide who he wishes to swear his fealty to.”

Bohemond countered.

“Unless we can come to some other arrangement.”

"That is a perfectly fine one, God stands as witness of its gairness"

Agreed Baldwin.

"But, in any case this shall serve as our border. I don't wish further trouble to arise from this"

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Rolled a 13

Nicopolis, caught between the presence of two armies, was unsure of how to best address the issue. The commander of the garrison, the leading families, and its lord gathered within the keep to discuss the matter at length. Both sides seemed almost equal in who to swear fealty to, but the discussion dragged on for a bit. Eventually, on the dawn of the fourth day, a horseman rode out, indicating a truce. Eventually, the Lord of Nicopolis, and other significant people, came forth. The noble looks between the two armies before turning and heading to the Count of Edessa. By noon time, Nicopolis had sworn fealty to Baldwin.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Gaming Staff Magistrate

Bohemond observed the exchange silently from a distance, watching as the Lord of Nicopolis took a knee the Count of Edessa.

“I won’t forget this insult. One day, we will return here and pull this castle down brick by brick and mount the lord’s head above the gate.”

The Prince spat into the sandy earth.

“Send a rider to Baldwin, and tell him my terms stand. It is time for us to leave this place.”

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Rolled a 13

Nicopolis, caught between the presence of two armies, was unsure of how to best address the issue. The commander of the garrison, the leading families, and its lord gathered within the keep to discuss the matter at length. Both sides seemed almost equal in who to swear fealty to, but the discussion dragged on for a bit. Eventually, on the dawn of the fourth day, a horseman rode out, indicating a truce. Eventually, the Lord of Nicopolis, and other significant people, came forth. The noble looks between the two armies before turning and heading to the Count of Edessa. By noon time, Nicopolis had sworn fealty to Baldwin.
    Baldwin let himself be entertained by the magnates of the city for a couple days before raising his camp and riding towards another destination. Proper guarantees and shows of fealty were done between both parties and the count assured the citizens and noblemen that they had nothing to be afraid of. It was a surprisingly welcomed moral victory over the ambitious Bohemund, which was but the cherry top of the cake Balwin was currently gorging himself with. In those days he was warned of his brother's election, another cause of celebration. But the way to Jerusalem was still unsafe and uncertain, so he chose to head back to his county instead. He chose his nephew's castle of Ravendel to stay for a few days before deciding his next move.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123