Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Principality of Antioch

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Principality of Antioch

Antioch, seat of the Principality of Antioch

While Baldwin of Boulogne and Tancred headed east from Asia Minor to set up the County of Edessa, the main army of the First Crusade continued south to besiege Antioch. Bohemond of Taranto commanded the siege which commenced in October 1097. With over four hundred towers, the city's defenses were formidable. The siege lasted throughout the winter causing much attrition among the Crusader force, who were often forced to eat their own horses, or, as legend has it, the bodies of their fellow Christians who had not survived.

Bohemond convinced a guard in one of the towers, an Armenian and former Christian named Firouz, to let the Crusaders enter the city. Only four days later, a Muslim army from Mosul, led by Kerbogha, arrived to besiege the Crusaders themselves. Alexios I Komnenos, the Byzantine emperor, was on his way to assist the Crusaders; but upon hearing rumors that the city had fallen to the Muslims, Alexios turned back.

The Crusaders withstood the siege, with help from a mystic named Peter Bartholomew. Peter claimed he had been visited by St. Andrew, who told him that the Holy Lance, which pierced Christ's side as he was on the cross, was located in Antioch. The cathedral of St. Peter was excavated, and the Lance was discovered by Peter himself. Although Peter most likely planted it there himself (even the papal legate Adhemar of Le Puy believed this to be the case), it helped raise the spirits of the Crusaders. With the newly discovered relic at the head of the army, Bohemond marched out to meet the besieging Muslim force, which was miraculously defeated — as according to the Crusaders, an army of saints had appeared to help them on the battlefield.

There was a lengthy dispute over who should control the city. Bohemond and the Italian Normans eventually won, and Bohemond named himself prince. Bohemond was already Prince (allodial lord) of Taranto in Italy, and he desired to continue such independence in his new lordship; thus he did not attempt to receive the title of Duke from the Byzantine Emperor (in whose name he had taken an oath to fight), nor any other title with deep feudal obligations. Meanwhile, an unknown epidemic spread throughout the Crusader camp; Adhemar of Le Puy was one of the victims.

Reigning Prince of Antioch: Bohemond de Hauteville
    Heir-Apparent: Tancred de Hauteville

======================

Starting Army (expires 1100 or 1101): 5,000 men
    500 knights
    1,000 archers/crossbowmen
    1,500 heavy infantry
    2,000 light infantry

======================

Budgets (Manpower and Income)
    (Manpower available in 1100 or 1101 when Starting Army expires)
    7,500 dinars a year
    5,000 men

======================

Main Demense
    (Rule of 1/4 for rulers)

2,075 dinars a year and 1,375 men
    Base: 7,500 Dinars & 5000 men
    Due to conquest: 800 Dinars & 500 men

Income (1099)
    Starting Income: 1,000 dinars
    Yearly Income: 2,075 dinars (gained in 1100)
    Modifiers: +2 Wealth (10%)
    Total: 1,000 dinars

Expenditures: 0

Grand Total: 1,000 dinars

======================

Vassals
    - Lordship of St Simeon & Laodicea:​ Guy de Hauteville
    33% dinars a year and 33% men

- Lordship of Alexandrette: Tancred of Hauteville
    33% dinars a year 33% men

- Lordship of Sardona: Richard of Salerno
    33% dinars a year and 33% men

- Lordship of Albara: Vacant - Non existent after new maps
    925 dinars a year and 850 men.
    Last edited by General Brewster; November 12, 2019 at 01:03 PM.

Default Re: Principality of Antioch

Guy de Hauteville arrives in Antioch with a small retinue of horsemen, mostly Latin, but several Greek present as well. He makes his way to where the Prince of Antioch has set up his court and requests an audience.

Blog Entries

Guy is permitted entrance and is led into the main hall. Bohemond was just finishing the edicts regarding land grants. "Welcome my brother" he calmly said as he dismissed the clergy that was reciting the edict to him.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Guy is permitted entrance and is led into the main hall. Bohemond was just finishing the edicts regarding land grants. "Welcome my brother" he calmly said as he dismissed the clergy that was reciting the edict to him.
    Guy removes his helmet as he approaches his brother while the dismissed clergymen walk past, being followed by several of their assistants carrying various objects."Hail, Bohemond, Prince of Antioch." Guy then bows. "My men and I did not see any sign of the enemy, perhaps they are still recovering from the defeat at the lake of Antioch.Or are distracted by some other enemy or issue. " Guy pauses for a moment. "Have you decided our next move, your highness? If I recall correctly, our last discussion was whether ot expand towards Tripoli or Edessa?"
    Last edited by Xion; November 08, 2019 at 10:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Bohemond rose to meet his brother. "You are a good sight and you bring good news" there not being any enemies in the region truly was good news and one less thing to worry about. "The men grow restless Guy" Bohemond said. With the men idling they had the time to think about other things, get distracted and grow restless. Bohemond stroke his mighty beard. "I will hand you 4000 of our finest men, to lead in battle and capture Laodice. It's of importance we get our second port. Then we will push on Albara and we will end, together in Hama. Hama will be our southern stronghold brother." Bohemond concluded. By then his men will have been spend and he has had the time to consolidate their gains. Statecraft was not lost on the prince.

Bohemond rose to meet his brother. "You are a good sight and you bring good news" there not being any enemies in the region truly was good news and one less thing to worry about. "The men grow restless Guy" Bohemond said. With the men idling they had the time to think about other things, get distracted and grow restless. Bohemond stroke his mighty beard. "I will hand you 4000 of our finest men, to lead in battle and capture Laodice. It's of importance we get our second port. Then we will push on Albara and we will end, together in Hama. Hama will be our southern stronghold brother." Bohemond concluded. By then his men will have been spend and he has had the time to consolidate their gains. Statecraft was not lost on the prince.
    Guy nods, it was known fact some of the men were growing restless over not Bohemond's decision to remain in Antioch instead of continuing on to Jerusalem, not fulfilling their Crusader oath, along with other issues. "Of course, your highness." Guy pauses for a moment as he begins to think of the logistics, route, and other matters of the campaign in the back of his mind. "It is the most logical course of action, we secure a another port along with a base for future campaigns against Aleppo or Damascus."

Blog Entries

Bohemond nodded, finding it good to know he could count on his brother in these times of trouble. "I'll have some clergymen draw up my orders for you and I'll have them signed". Bohemond walked near his brother laid his arm upon his brother's shoulder and said with a smile "God wills it so my brother, may he protect you on your journey."

Bohemond nodded, finding it good to know he could count on his brother in these times of trouble. "I'll have some clergymen draw up my orders for you and I'll have them signed". Bohemond walked near his brother laid his arm upon his brother's shoulder and said with a smile "God wills it so my brother, may he protect you on your journey."
    "Of course, your highness.I pray it shall be be a swift process." Guy reciprocates Bohemond's gesture. "Thank you Bohemond. May he watch over you as well." He then steps back and bows once more. "If there is nothing else, your highness, I request your leave to begin the campaign."

Blog Entries

Bohemond nods as he gifts his brother the paper he had his clergy draw up. As his brother went out he would again engage in statecraft. Consolidating his rule and establishing a powerbase.

Blog Entries

A letter is send with explains that Godfried of Boulion is chosen as leader of Jerusalem.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

After the election got concluded Richard returns to Antioch from Jerusalem. He goes to seek out his cousin
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Tancred arrives in Antioch with his cousin Richard to meet with Bohemond.

“Kinsmen.”

Greeted the Prince, after both Tancred and Richard were led into the old Roman citadel of Antioch where Bohemond had established himself in the wake of the siege. Robert Hauteville’s eldest son was still a fearsome warrior, despite not being in the apex of his years - tall, broad shouldered and square jawed, with a freshly shaven beard and hair cut close to the scalp in the fashion of his people. The Prince’s solar was spacious and abuzz with servants and retainers, a circus of Normans, Armenians, and Syrians, with Bohemond towering in their midst as a giant among them.

“I heard before your coming that Jerusalem has fallen.”

Bohemond made the sign of the cross.

“I intend to go fulfil my vows before the year is out. It is regrettable I could not be there to see the city fall.”

It was a small price to pay for such a grand prize as Antioch.

Tancred made a slight bow to his cousin. After the victory at Jerusalem had the crusaders finally had the time to rest and freshen up. Tancred wore the chainmail armor in the Italo-Norman tradition, though he had begun wearing a long, flowing blue coat over his armor to keep it cooler in the sun.

"By the grace of God have we fulfilled our vows to liberate the Holy Land. It was hard fought, but we persevered through great strife."

Tancred paused for a moment to scratch his beard.

"So what awaits us, my lord cousin? Though we have won several battles and claimed the greatest prize, I doubt that the heathens will give up so easily."

"Cousin"

Richard made a slight bow. He learned on the journey back to Antioch that he was granted land and an income.

"We have finally fulfilled our duties that should have been done long ago, though it saddens me that His Holiness has just passed away"

Apparently the pope died before he learned about the fate of jerusalem.

"Still there's plenty of work to do, cousin"

He did not doubt the Arabs were planning something to counter them in some way. Perhaps war was not the only solution to that.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

“Our greatest enemy is the Caesar Alexios, not the heathens.”

The Prince shifted towards a window that looked out over the city, with St Simeon and the ocean barely visible in the distance.

“From Cyprus, he could send a fleet to strike us at any time, and take these territories that he unrightfully views as his. So, we take Cyprus.”

Bohemond folded his arms across his chest, and then turned back towards Tancred and Richard expectantly.

"Yes, he was not amused when i refused that forced oath....."

Richard shared his cousin's concern. He didn't really trust this Alexios', for now it seemed he was the bigger threat to these lands than the Arabs did

"Perhaps it might be wise to make a formal alliance with our brothers from Cilicia before we strike first..."

That'd secure their northern border from Byzantine attacks
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Tancred smirked, he had never liked the Romans of Constantinople and had refused to swear the oath like his cousin Richard.

"I agree with you, cousin Richard. The Armenians of Cilicia have little love for the Emperor and are our natural allies. Together we can carve out a secure foothold here in Syria and Anatolia, respectively."

He turned back to Bohemond, some doubts about the plan still lingering.

"Yet I wonder, with whose ships shall we conquer Cyprus? The Genoese and Venetians will demand a hefty sum for their service, and it will take time to build and man our own fleet. Of these two options, I'd prefer the latter since we will need our own naval force sooner or later."

Quote Originally Posted by Mary The Quene View Post
    "Yes, he was not amused when i refused that forced oath....."

Richard shared his cousin's concern. He didn't really trust this Alexios', for now it seemed he was the bigger threat to these lands than the Arabs did

"Perhaps it might be wise to make a formal alliance with our brothers from Cilicia before we strike first..."

That'd secure their northern border from Byzantine attacks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Tancred smirked, he had never liked the Romans of Constantinople and had refused to swear the oath like his cousin Richard.

"I agree with you, cousin Richard. The Armenians of Cilicia have little love for the Emperor and are our natural allies. Together we can carve out a secure foothold here in Syria and Anatolia, respectively."

He turned back to Bohemond, some doubts about the plan still lingering.

"Yet I wonder, with whose ships shall we conquer Cyprus? The Genoese and Venetians will demand a hefty sum for their service, and it will take time to build and man our own fleet. Of these two options, I'd prefer the latter since we will need our own naval force sooner or later."

“For now, we shall court the Cilicians. However they too must eventually kneel to me.”

The Prince stepped back from the window and folded his arms.

“I plan to return west. Our fame as the conquerors of Jerusalem will serve us well in getting allies for our endeavours. When I return, I shall be borne eastward on a thousand ships with a hundred thousand men.”

Bohemond grinned widely, like a wolf.

“You will both watch my domains in my absence. I took Laodice and made peace with Homs, but Aleppo still threatens us.”

Tancred was surprised by Bohemond's words, though it was not unreasonable. The crusaders had no support from the local populace and they would need all the help they could get from the rest of Christendom.

"We will do what needs to be done until you return, by our honor. We'll secure Cilician support and our Eastern borders with Aleppo before that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast