Thread: Tripoli

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Tripoli

Tripoli, seat of the County of Tripoli

Tripoli was a major port, captured in the early days of 1099, by the Crusading army that moved southward toward Jerusalem. Its capture would ensure a flow of supplies from the sea, brought to them by Italian allies. The besieging force was led by Raymond, Count of Toulouse, who had prior captured Tortosa, a city just up the coast. With the capture of Tripoli, Tortosa, and later, Gibelacar, which was more in land, the County of Tripoli, the third Crusader State, was founded.

Reigning Count of Tripoli: Raymond of Toulouse
    Heir-Apparent: Bertrand of Toulouse

======================

Starting Army (expires 1100 or 1101): 5,000 men
    500 knights
    1,000 archers/crossbowmen
    1,500 heavy infantry
    2,000 light infantry

======================

Budgets (Manpower and Income)
    (Manpower available in 1100 or 1101 when Starting Army expires)
    8,300 dinars a year
    5,750 men

======================

Main Demense
    3,000 dinars a year and 1,500 men

Income (1099)
    Starting Income: 1,000 dinars
    Yearly Income: 3,000 dinars (gained in 1100)
    Modifiers: +2 Wealth (10%)
    Total: 1,000 dinars

Expenditures: 0

Grand Total: 1,000 dinars

======================

Vassals
    - Lordship of Gibelacar:​ Levon of Vaspurakan
    1,000 dinars a year and 1,000 men

- Lordship of Tortosa: Vacant
    2,000 dinars a year and 1,500 men

- Barony of Valenia: John Talbot
    1,300 dinars a year and 1,000 men

- Barony of Gabula: NPC (Pierre of Gabula, Arabic Convert)
    1,000 dinars a year and 750 men
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; November 24, 2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Default Re: Tripoli

A message arrives from Balatanos informing the Count of Tripoli that Prince Bohemond is besieging the castle, and is expanding south towards the borders of the county having recently captured Laodicea. The castle requests protection from Raymond of Toulouse in exchange for tribute.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

A letter is delivered with haste, it's signed by the Prince of Antioch.

Dearest Raymond,

While I am aware we have been at odds many times and that there is little reason for you to even listened to the contents of this letter I implore you to read on, with a clear mind and decide when you have heard all the facts. My army currently is at the fortress of Balatanos. We have been for some time after we took the vital town of Laodicea. Having secured the south, and having little ambition to go further south I decided to turn east. At the moment of writing this letter my forces stand ready to go and assault the city. However, during parley with our arab enemy I have been informed that an army of Muslims is marching on my position. I would request that you march to me if you are in such a possibility and we defeat the Arab's. Then the both of us have free reign to expand. I will not move further south than Ladocea and declare it to be your land.

You have no obligation or vow to honor me in the request I seek to make, I hope you know that as a fellow Christian in the holy lands I beg of you to come to my aid. If you refuse, I beg you defend the Christian lives then at stake.

It is only that I do ask of you,

Sincerely,
    Bohemond, a fellow christian.
    Last edited by General Brewster; November 13, 2019 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries

A letter is delivered which informs the count of Tripoli that Godfrey is proclaimed ruler of Jerusalem.

--------

John Talbot arrives at court. He wishes to speak the ruler of Tripoli.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    John Talbot arrives at court. He wishes to speak the ruler of Tripoli.
    With the continuing absence of Count Raymond, John was brought to the presence of Bertrand, Raymond's heir and regent of Tripoli. The Tripoli army was on the move south and stopped at the city to resupply. A knight brings the Norman into the presence of Bertrand, who was situated in the main keep of the city. He looks up after reading a report of gains acquired by their northern expansions.

You are... John Talbot, the one who has come to my father's court. How may I help you?

Blog Entries

John gave a small bow out of respect.

"I am indeed my Lord." John said, he look tired. Tired of all the travels he looked fatigued. He hadnt had any chance to recover as after the battle of Jerusalem he came straight to Tripoli. "I have come to offer my service my lord."

Citizen

Bertrand would give it a little thought. Some of the Occitan nobles, who had followed his father, had already begun their journey home. This English nobleman could be worth the addition.

Then welcome to Tripoli, Talbot. I accept your offer, in the name of my father, Raymond, Count of Toulouse and Tripoli.

Bertrand gestures to an attendant who brings a scroll of parchment and quill over. Quietly, Bertrand writes.

I will name you Baron of Valenia, Lord Talbot. Its a recent acquisition, yet still a good port. Utilize any men who followed you, and their families, to refill its homes for a number of its native inhabitants left when we took it over.

He hands the scroll of parchment to John.

​Your first assignment, follow me as I lead the army south. There are a couple places that I desire to take for my father in order for Tripoli to be truly fortified.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Levon arrives wishing to speak with the count of Tripoli

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Levon arrives wishing to speak with the count of Tripoli
    Count Raymond had yet returned to Tripoli, but Levon was still met with the Count's son and heir, Bertrand.

An Armenian?

He says quietly to the knight who reported the visitor. One this far south? How curious. The regent of Tripoli turns to face Levon.

​So you are Levon of Cilicia? What brings you to Tripoli?

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Levon bows before Bertrand, and after all the pleasantries and niceties were done with Levon began talking about why he was in the court of Tripoli.

I have served in the crusade since the Latin army crossed Cilicia, fighting alongside my Christian brothers against the muslims to reclaim the holy land for all christians. I would like to pledge my fealty to the count of Tripoli, to continue that service and ensure that these lands remain in the hands of christians.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Levon bows before Bertrand, and after all the pleasantries and niceties were done with Levon began talking about why he was in the court of Tripoli.

I have served in the crusade since the Latin army crossed Cilicia, fighting alongside my Christian brothers against the muslims to reclaim the holy land for all christians. I would like to pledge my fealty to the count of Tripoli, to continue that service and ensure that these lands remain in the hands of christians.
    Bertrand motions for a map to be brought over and the Occitan nobleman examines the land grants quietly. After a moment of silence, he looks up at Levon.

You will be named Lord of Gibelacar. It is one of our inland possessions and a bulwark against the lands that are held by the Emir of Homs, across the Orentes River.

======================

With both John Talbot and Levon Vaspurakan made lords of Tripoli, they are assigned to a couple units in preparation for the move south.

OOC: Levon and John will be present for the Siege of Botron

A number of knights arrive, requesting an audience with the Count or a representative. They claim to come on behalf of the Poor Fellows of Jerusalem.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfus View Post
    A number of knights arrive, requesting an audience with the Count or a representative. They claim to come on behalf of the Poor Fellows of Jerusalem.
    This group of knights is brought forth to the main keep where Count Raymond was situated. However, they had to wait a bit as the Occitan noble was in chapel, praying to the Lord Above. Once this was over, the older Raymond would come out and meet with the representatives of the Poor Fellows of Jerusalem.

Who among you is their leader?

Raymond inquires, desiring to speak with whoever led them.

“Well met, Lord. I am Drogo of Payens, Grandmaster of the Poor Fellows.”

The Norman deftly inclined his head, the other knights following his lead.

“We have taken it upon ourselves to protect the pilgrims and holy places from the bandits and saracens that plague these lands. Our hearts and steel is dedicated to God alone, and are used in defence of Christ’s patrimony.”