Thread: After a while in campaigns, I get CTD whenever I try to finish my turn

Default After a while in campaigns, I get CTD whenever I try to finish my turn

A while back I purchased the Steam version of this game, hoping to relive some past memories, and to create new ones. I have Windows 10.

The game works well enough initially. However, at some point in the campaign, I can't continue, because the game crashes to desktop when I click to finish a turn. I have tried again and again. And it has happened to all of my campaigns. Very frustrating.

I have no mods installed, just the plain Steam version of the game.

I did not have this problem with Shogun: Total War (yes, the original game) for Steam. I could finish a campaign without any problems.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: After a while in campaigns, I get CTD whenever I try to finish my turn

I can only do guesswork with the limited info I am provided here. That said...

It sounds like a corrupt save - however as this seems to have happened to you in multiple (different) campaigns - one can rule out any corrupt save being the cause for your problem (this time anyways). I do know that the steam-version do limit the game GFX-ram to 64mb - god knows why, but it does. Maybe it is related to that? Compare that to the 3.8 Gigs of ram I can get with a non-steam 2.01 CD-version. It could also be your GFX-drivers that are not getting along with some of the old files and formats of this game? An instable campaign-map basically. If so, the 'ol buttonfix thing should be able to fix it. Or it could possibly be too many agents (assassins, spies, emissaries etc). running around on da map - that can crash or freeze the game too. Aside from these guesses, I don't know what to tell you on this. Its guesswork regardless... I have too little info to go on....

Overall, it is likely that your problem may be hardware-related somehow. Try another PC (with another GFX-card) and see if that helps some? The easiest possible solutions - in the event they are relevant - are that you should look at the stuff made by various MTW-modders - especially NTW or Redux. The famous button-fix are originally created out of some NTW-files for instance. Maybe that hotfix would help? Maybe... Its hard to tell for sure. The best solution I can think of is probably to rely on an old legacy-PC from the period the game was released - with hardware and drivers that were representative and common for the time, as in 2002-2004 basically (and using 98SE/2K/XP). That and using the disc-version of the game.

For every year, Microsoft, AMD and Nvidia comes up with new junk that makes it ever harder to play this game - in the sense that more and more things can go wrong and MTW are not properly (if at all) supported by CA anymore. Had it been GOG, it might have been a different story. In the increasingly unlikely event that you have such old hardware close at hand, that would probably provide the most reliable solution for you - both short and long term playing this game. On that stuff it still runs like a charm.

- A

Default Re: After a while in campaigns, I get CTD whenever I try to finish my turn

I don't really have any older computer available to test on. This computer is very new, and was purchased earlier this year.

What is the "button-fix"? How do I get it?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Calypze View Post
    A while back I purchased the Steam version of this game, hoping to relive some past memories, and to create new ones. I have Windows 10.

The game works well enough initially. However, at some point in the campaign, I can't continue, because the game crashes to desktop when I click to finish a turn. I have tried again and again. And it has happened to all of my campaigns. Very frustrating.

I have no mods installed, just the plain Steam version of the game.

I did not have this problem with Shogun: Total War (yes, the original game) for Steam. I could finish a campaign without any problems.
    I think I know what your problem is as I've had the same thing myself now and then.

Let say you play for a couple of hours and before you press return for the next turn you have saved your game. So far so good, right.

But at some point you cannot continue playing and my guess is that you need to check how many gamesaves you have, because you can only have max 100 gamesaves (.cpg).

So, try to add these .cpg files into an archive then delete all .cpg files, except for the most recent file. After that re-launch MTW and continue playing your game and see if your issue is fixed.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=4362

- A

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

I don't really have any older computer available to test on. This computer is very new, and was purchased earlier this year.

The Medieval TW CTD Fix is only for the retail version and shouldn't be used for the Steam version.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Feel free to explain why... As far as I know, it should work just fine for Steam too (in all relevant cases, that is).

- A

So no conclusive knowledge on this? I suppose various compability issues should be rather common, no?