Thread: How to fight a battle when attacking a walled city without having ranged siege weapons

Default How to fight a battle when attacking a walled city without having ranged siege weapons

I guess many people prefer not to fight a battle ( when playing a campaign ) if it's about attacking a walled city without having any ranged siege weapon because it is hard to win without suffering many casualties. Instead, they prefer to siege the city for several turns until making the enemy sally out to face it on the open or by just using the autoresolve battle option if the prediction is highly favorable. And of course, things are easier when you have ranged siege weapons because you can just destroy both the gates and the towers ( so that they don't kill part of your troops before even making it to the walls ) and maybe also creating a breach in a particular section of the wall.

Any ideas of how to fight a battle in that case/scenario?
    Last edited by twgamer20197; November 03, 2019 at 12:08 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How to fight a battle when attacking a walled city without having ranged siege weapons

Good point, when attacking a walled city without siege weapons, I tend to lose a lot of troops.

I imagine that what will work partly depends on the city and the factions involved. For example, if it's a port, then obviously there's the option of dividing the defenders by landing troops from a fleet. I could be remembering this wrong, but I think when I sent a stealthy unit (one with the 'stalk' and 'guerrilla deployment' abilities) over the wall to capture an arrow tower, they didn't take as many casualties as other kinds of unit from the archers in the tower. The siege towers which some armies can build after waiting a turn seem to offer better protection than the standard ladders.

Carmen Sylva's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: How to fight a battle when attacking a walled city without having ranged siege weapons

I usually build a siege tower, split my troups and attack from one side with my best troups the weakest manned wall.

But its realistic to calculate high losses.

If my early game starts with no walled city (plenty of factions start this way) or I need a nearby walled city for a port, I'll rush in with without siege weapons. Build at least 2 siege towers (each tower comes x2 so you'll have four all together) and any left over build points put into ladders. When I finally unlock a battering ram, I build one of those (again, they come x2) before a tower. Battering rams used to be horrible but they've gotten pretty useful now. By mid games most cities will have boiling oil so you'll want to avoid sending in units and just use the open gates to throw some arrows or javelins through while you have heavy infantry (with swords, preferably) take the walls. Sometimes you can sacrifice a unit and draw the enemy out so they get hit by their own oil, but I don't recommend unless desperate. Try to form a "beachhead" if you will; a secured part of the city to freely bring in your units. Reorganize, maybe send some fast units to conquer some unmanned arrow towers, and march right through to the city center. The AI tends to group a majority of its forces wherever yours are deployed at the start of the battle, so securing that gate or portion of wall will be the hardest part. The rest will most likely be mopping up or continuing the fight at the city center.

Alternatively, if you don't have reliable sword units or heavy infantry, just ladder spam and get as many units up on the city walls as you can. You want to corner the enemy in their own settlement and make them break. In the modern TW games, broken units flat out flee the city instead of regrouping at the city center. Heck, I'd argue that the battle to kill their morale is more important than actually defeating the entire unit.

Then I see ( according to all the answers ) it is very important to attack from different directions simultaneously

Quote Originally Posted by twgamer20197 View Post
    Then I see ( according to all the answers ) it is very important to attack from different directions simultaneously
    Just be careful not to thin yourself out. A two point assault should be enough for cities without ports. If you're attacking a city with a port and not bringing your own navy, you better make sure you have a hefty numbers advantage.

Use your cheap (mercenary) troops as main assault, they will keep the enemy busy... meanwhile sneak your Elite troops from another direction and capture yourself a doorway... have cavalry nearby that can fly into the city and run around capturing towers...

pretty historical, and not cheesy at all