Thread: Have you ever quit a campaign because it got boring or repetitive?

Default Have you ever quit a campaign because it got boring or repetitive?

A while ago I started a campaign (with Rhun), and at turn 200 something, it is getting pretty repetitive. Dale (and Dorwinion) is eliminated, and I am fighting the Dwarves of Erebor. I have Iron Hills and Erebor, but the Dwarves have provinces further west, and they are spamming me with stacks all the time. The majority of time I play, I fight off assaults at Erebor. I win those battles, but then another stack comes along, and eventually the whole thing gets repeated. I win the battles, but the Dwarves are heavy fighters, so I take some losses, and it takes time to get reinforcements there. The advances I make against them are baby-steps.

Have anyone of you quit a campaign because it got too boring, or too repetitive? I feel a little bad about it, because I got a real kick-ass economy running.

Default Re: Have you ever quit a campaign because it got boring or repetitive?

That is the natural way of a campaign ending, everybody was there, it happens after certain point when you become too powerfull and there is no more challenge. Time to start a new one or do something else haha or go for world domination but that is just more of the same.

Civis

Sure, it's the reason I tell myself that my campaign goals has to be done by turn 110. DAC is quite fast paced, atleast compared to other mods, and IMO it peaks at roughly turn 45-70. There's enough enemies, you have some money, and the units are looking pretty slick at that point, yet challlenge still remains and a failed campaign is very much a possibility.
    Later in the game, after about turn 90 at the latest, the game just gets super easy since the player is usually so big. Unless some interesting nation which I usually don't fight has a large empire bordering me, I usually start over. Still though, the game just comes down to pure grit and willpower at that point, and that is no fun. The units are pretty fancy though, so there is that!

I've played long campaigns on other mods (long being to about turn 700), but DAC is just not designed for super long campaigns, and that's fine. Its early and midgame is entertaining enough.

Yes, we all do.

With most factions, if you play well, you know you already have won at turn 30.

There are exceptions : Gondor and Khand with Good choice. They are the hardest campaign. Turn 30 nothing is decided with them.

Yes it's very repetitive. Fight are alwayst the same. You can auto_win battles from this point, but it's more cheat and less playing.

I think there should be less money, less stacks. More decisive battles then.

All of them. If the auto calculate battles was not so wonky it would be tolerable. But I cannot manually fight a dozen stacks per round. This is also why I like to play my campaigns as a king-maker nation and support allied blob nations to fight other blob nations for me, and stick to surgical strikes with my nation to support that.

Quote Originally Posted by Multicolored View Post
    All of them. If the auto calculate battles was not so wonky it would be tolerable. But I cannot manually fight a dozen stacks per round. This is also why I like to play my campaigns as a king-maker nation and support allied blob nations to fight other blob nations for me, and stick to surgical strikes with my nation to support that.
    Yeah, that's the thing. At some point in the campaign mentioned in the OP, I progressed 10 turns in like 6 hours, because I had to fight battles all the time. The same battles over and over again.

Happened to me many times. Especially when you face off some stack spam. I really hate tedious battles one after the other.

Most fun I ever have is during decisive battles.

Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff

It happened to me in an Isengard campaign. Things just got to repetitive. I was constantly fighting Rohan armies who kept appearing every turn without giving me time to do something else besides fighting them. Just quit when I realised I was doing the same thing over and over during 80 turns.

I may try something different whenever the next version gets released. Something I until now kind of thought as cheesy, but if the AI is going to spam stacks non stop after turn 100, then maybe its justified. I am talking about taking one of their cities, and gutting it. Destroying all buildings, then abandoning it to rebels. Slash and burn style. At least then their stacks will consist of trash I can win auto/calc with. This might make end game a little more tolerable.

(to repeat myself adding good-side invasions will also help! Tired of fighting the blob? call a invasion on them and let all those allies behind you absorb some of their stack spam. we need this

(to repeat myself adding good-side invasions will also help! Tired of fighting the blob? call a invasion on them and let all those allies behind you absorb some of their stack spam. we need this
    We certainly need a mechanism to bring distant good factions into fight. In my KD campaign, EL, ND, Imladris and Lindon are sitting there, surrounded by allies, while Gondor, DA, Dale, WR and Erebor are being overrun by Mordor and Rhun.

I'm not in discord and dont have a youtube account, can someone please let the devs know about good-side invasions and how critical they can be for good game play? I want to make sure this is on their radar.

Civis

I may try something different whenever the next version gets released. Something I until now kind of thought as cheesy, but if the AI is going to spam stacks non stop after turn 100, then maybe its justified. I am talking about taking one of their cities, and gutting it. Destroying all buildings, then abandoning it to rebels. Slash and burn style. At least then their stacks will consist of trash I can win auto/calc with. This might make end game a little more tolerable.

You want cheese? Then once you utterly raze that settlement you sell it to a faction that is allied to the one you're attacking. This will get you anywhere between 5 000 - 20 000 gold, and completely mess up the faction you're attacking. If they rebel, then fine, you got your money. If they don't, however, well then the faction you're attacking is completely ed over since it'll be reluctant to get it back.
    A good one is Harad. Harad has many coastal settlements. As Gondor I would raid these and then sell them back to Harad or Rhun (since I was at war with both). Ended up squeezing out roughly 80 000 gold from them, and they became landlocked! God only knows how many Gondor campaigns of mine that strategy has saved. If you're really willing to cheese it though, you can just take it back after selling it - then sell it again. Your diplo rep will go down the toilet but you'll be able to squeeze pretty much all of the enemies money out of them. It's pretty cheesy.

On another note, invasions for the good factions is already a thing. It's called Tol Acharn and it was created by Ngugi and a few others, IIRC. It's in MOS. Although I believe this is only for the human factions, so Dale, Eriador and Gondor? I think atleast. Pretty sure the devs are already familiar with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Frotzy View Post
    On another note, invasions for the good factions is already a thing. It's called Tol Acharn and it was created by Ngugi and a few others, IIRC. It's in MOS. Although I believe this is only for the human factions, so Dale, Eriador and Gondor? I think atleast. Pretty sure the devs are already familiar with the idea.
    I was thinking about something more akin to diplomatic meetings from MOS, you could call on your allies to provide an army for a limited period of time in the area you want.

Jaketh's Avatar Praeses

Mod is amazing however the horrific late game (~turn 150) stack spam is a deal breaker. I end up using the console to avoid having to fight 2-3 battles every turn or so.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I was thinking about something more akin to diplomatic meetings from MOS, you could call on your allies to provide an army for a limited period of time in the area you want.
    The issue is that that just isn't quite effective enough, atleast in my experience. Invasions on an Mordor capital, for example, would be much much more devastating to late game Mordor compared to a few units in southern Harad.